Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 16:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangaloreans : Leanest traffic period for travelling: Kormangala to ITPL

Anyone travelling daily to whitefield/ ITPL can help here.

What is the leanest traffic period to travel to ITPL from Koramangala during working days.

A) In the morning/ first half of the day
B) During the second half (afternoon/ evening), travelling back

Please post your opinions/ suggestions.
Old 5th December 2008, 17:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

From what I have seen first half either early morning or around 12:00 - 12:30. Second half after 8:30 - 9:00 pm.
Old 5th December 2008, 17:25   #3
BHPian

Your starting point and finish line are both one of the most notorious for traffic!! I can clearly understand why you would like to find out the leanest traffic period :-)

Airport road has lesser traffic post 10:30am and is relatively ok after 8:30-9am. Not sure if you go that way or take the Agara Lake route and head to Sarjapur road/ORR. If you specify the exact route you take, people travelling in that route may give their inputs.
Old 5th December 2008, 20:09   #4
BANNED

I travel almost everyday to ITPL. Before 8:30 am, 10:30 - 12:30, 14:30 - 17:00, post 21:00 are your best bets, irrespective of route. Marathahalli can get very choked during peak hours (all times I have excluded above). Your best bet from Koramangala would be to hit the ORR, turn right at Marathahalli and follow the signs to ITPL/EPIP. Another option is to take Sarjapura Road until a 4 road intersection and turn left when you see a BPCL bunk on your right (after the intersection) - this will take you past Varthur Kere (Lake). Keep straight after the lake, past some super rumbler strips and turn left at the traffic light to reach ITPL.
Old 5th December 2008, 21:05   #5
BHPian

In the mornings, You may try IRR, Old Airport Road. Take a left after HAL museum (immediate left after the end of HAL runway) and join ORR (between Marathahalli and KR Puram) and then use Whitefield road.

In my opinion Sunday morning 6am is the best time to go to ITPL
Old 6th December 2008, 14:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Airport road has lesser traffic post 10:30am and is relatively ok after 8:30-9am. Not sure if you go that way or take the Agara Lake route and head to Sarjapur road/ORR. If you specify the exact route you take, people travelling in that route may give their inputs.
I can take any route provided it takes the least time on the road.

Another possibility is to start directly from my home in BSK, in that case it should be possible to take the NICE(from kanakpura) ?? where does it end in whitefield ?? (or it doesnt ??)
Old 6th December 2008, 19:24   #7
BHPian

Here are timings to near destinations. Not exactly ITPL...

Best time slots via the outer Ring Road

Morning 10:15 St Johns Koramangala -> 11:00am SAP
Evening 4pm SAP > 4:35 St Johns Koramangala

These are the timings clocked by the Tempo Traveller driver.
If you are to drive in a more sane manner then you can add 10 min to the above.
Old 7th December 2008, 00:50   #8
BANNED

To the best of my limited knowledge, NICE Road does not currently extend east of Hosur Road.
Old 7th December 2008, 01:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you just drive down to Airport Road, park your car, and then take a Volvo to ITPL? Or I'm sure there's one from K'mangala to ITPL. They're pretty much as quick as a car, and a lot cheaper and more comfortable.
Old 7th December 2008, 02:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
From what I have seen first half either early morning or around 12:00 - 12:30. Second half after 8:30 - 9:00 pm.
I used these timings very effectively for a couple of months. Best time to go is between 12 - 12:30 and coming back after 10:00
Old 7th December 2008, 23:32   #11
BHPian

I live in Basavanagar, off Old Airport Road, near HAL Helicopter division. I drive everyday to CBD through Airport Road. Sometimes I need to go ITPL side as well as Mahadevapura.

I always take around minimum 40 minutes, speed driving, cutting lanes for the 10-12 km drive. As somebody said, there is no lean time as such. If it is before 8 am, it would be better. Towards noon, both directions traffic is relaxed. But after 3 PM, HAL shift ends and there would be heavy jams as all employees come out.

Marthahalli is the worst point. You have almost three main stoppages/bottlenecks starting from Marthahalli market till you exit the bridge.

I have seen some suggestion to turn at HAL and join Old Madras Road at NGEF. But I would not advice this since OMR is now in a bad shape, plus traffic pile ups due to the Metro construction, and the 'Chicken Neck' at Benignahalli Railway underpass. Even if you clear that, the stretch from the KR Puram Flyover till the Railway station, it is always jam.

In that case, turning left from Marthahalli and then zipping through ORR till you reach Whitefiled Honda (just after KR Puram). After that expect a little block only at Hoodi Jn.

Anyway I prefer the Marthahalli-Kundalahalli-Brookefields-SAP-TCS-Sathya Sai hospital-Bigbazar jn-ITPL. Road surfaces are better, and you don't have the trouble of trucks. The Volvos (335Es) also take this route.

Finally I have found Volvos to be faster than cars. Perhaps they are not as disciplined as we are, they do jump signals a bit, shove aside others in smaller vehicles etc
Old 8th December 2008, 12:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

I drive from Airport Road from near IRR junction to ITPL daily. I usually start in 10-11AM time, when it takes 45minutes or so. In the evening, the best period is after 9PM or so.

In the morning, if one starts at or just before 8AM, this is the quicker time...
Cheers
Old 8th December 2008, 14:03   #13
BHPian

I drive from one end to almost another end of Bangalore.
1. Driving towards ITPL, you need to cross Marathahalli junction before 8AM. A delay here means a delay at Kundalahalli junction and from Cosmos mall all the way till Graphite junction. If you need to go to ITPL directly, then you can head straight from Kundalahalli junction towards Varthur & then take left to Whitefield all the way till you get a signal, taking left at the signal will take you to ITPL. This route is slightly long but better than going through Brookfields.
2. 11 AM till 3:30 PM is a good time even if you opt for Brookfields route
3. From ITPL, either start at 3:30PM or after 8:30PM.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:09   #14
BANNED

Lots of security and police this morning at ITPL. People travelling to ITPL - please be prepared for additional security checks.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:12   #15
BANNED

@Dadu: Get a smaller car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks