Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2017, 13:41   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
3 hrs to Kushalnagar is good speed.
3 hrs to Kushalnagar is too aggressive. 4-4.5 hrs is a realistic target. You can factor a 70 kph average on 4-lanes and 50 kph average on 2-lane section.

Except for about a 3-4 km stretch in Ramanathapura-Konnanur section and one bridge construction (I don't remember where), the Holenarsipur-Arakalagud-Ramanathapura-Konnanur-Kushalnagar is in great condition with minimal traffic. Be wary that there are speed breakers all through, more concentrated on Konnanur-Kushalnagar stretch which is a super wide 2-lane. Was able to do 100 in some stretches.
Old 15th December 2017, 14:21   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
3 hrs to Kushalnagar is good speed
Any route you take, you will end up spending ~5 hrs to Kushalnagar. If you are sure about a 5 am start, then you can just stick to Maddur - Mandya - Mysore ORR. That way you can stop at one of the many eateries on Mysore road for breakfast before going towards Hunsur. There is the Cafe at Hunsur but apart from that I dont think there are many breakfast options on that road.
Old 15th December 2017, 16:35   #243
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
There is the Cafe at Hunsur but apart from that I dont think there are many breakfast options on that road.
Kalyani is an option when taking the Mysore Ring Road (right turn at Columbia Asia signal). Good thing about this is that you exit the Bangalore-Mysore stretch and then immediately get here, and most places between Bangalore-Mysore open around 6:45am by which time you can almost get to this place.
Old 15th December 2017, 18:04   #244
BHPian

Agree with NPV's post above.
I stayed at Hotel Kalyani overnight with family few months ago. They provided breakfast as part of the stay. Food was yummy and was served hot by about 7am
Old 16th December 2017, 08:01   #245
BHPian

On Hunsur bypass on your left you have 3 eateries. Ok type. If you are traveling via kanakapura, there is restaurant in malavalli oppo. IOC bunk, named NewGanesha. Good one. Try it.
Nisargadhama, is very crowded these days, weekends are crazy. You can take a call. I have not visited offlate.
sumukha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 17:28   #246
BHPian

Will be visiting Coorg on Saturday morning. Will be planning to start early around 5:00am.
Since it would be my first time any suggestions on which route to follow. Google suggested below mentioned route:
Route plan : Blore -> Nelamangla -> CR Patna -> Holenarasipur -> Arakalgud -> Shanivarasante -> Somwarpet -> Mallalli -> Somwarapet -> Madikeri

How are the road conditions for the above mentioned route ?

Another thing, will be leaving for Ooty from Coorg later on after spending few days in Coorg. Which route would be good to follow, any suggestions ?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:44. Reason: typo
Old 21st December 2017, 18:54   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Route plan : Blore -> Nelamangla -> CR Patna -> Holenarasipur -> Arakalgud -> Shanivarasante -> Somwarpet -> Mallalli -> Somwarapet -> Madikeri
Above route is all good. You dont need to visit Mallalli if your destination is Madikeri. Would suggest you stay away from Mallalli as it surely will be very crowded given the long weekend. Even on normal weekends people have reported very long Q of cars once you enter the falls road.

Quote:
Another thing, will be leaving for Ooty from Coorg later on after spending few days in Coorg. Which route would be good to follow, any suggestions ?
You can do Madikeri - Kutta - Sultan Bathery - Gudalur - Ooty. The last I heard this route was quiet OK with a few broken sections around Bathery. Not sure what the status is post monsoon.

Else you could stick to Hunsur - Mysore Ring road - Gundulpete - Masinagudi - Ooty. Both routes should take similar time but I would prefer the second one given the good roads, food options and the joy of driving up 36 hairpins of Kalhatty ghat. Second also ensures that you stay from the tourist traffic in the Wayanad belt, which would be high given the holiday season.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:41   #248
BHPian

Taking Kanakapura, Malavalli, Bannur road and then Mysore to Madikeri is a wise choice. I do not advise you to take the Holenarasipura route. Your romance with the good road will end once you reach Hole Narasipura.

From Madikeri take Kutta, Sultan Bathery and Gudalur route to OOTY. It's a good option. Madikeri to Kutta is very decent road. It will pass through Murnad, Virajpet, Gonikoppa and Kutta. I take this route to go to my home in Wayanad from my estate in Madikeri every fortnight. The only issue is you have NO veg hotels in the route. Only one in Gonikoppa called GURU RAGHVENDRA on the main road before the Bus stand. This is the only option. If you are ok with non-veg you have lots.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th December 2017 at 11:20. Reason: Correcting a few typos. Please do proof read your post before submitting. Thanks :)
sumukha is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 29th December 2017, 14:38   #249
BHPian

Spent the long Christmas weekend in Coorg (Virajpet to be precise, wanted to avoid the crowds as well). Started on Saturday morning 8 AM from our residence (Old Airport road). Decided to try a different route after seeing the blood red lines in Gmaps on the roads leading to Nelamangala.Route taken - Majestic-Magadi-CR Patna-Holenarasipura-Arakalgud- Kushalnagar (Break for lunch)- Virajpet.

Return - Virajpet-Kushalnagar-Arakalgud-Holenarasipura-CR Patna-Nelamangala
Old 19th January 2018, 12:31   #250
BHPian

I'm planning to travel to Coorg in my Brio next week (during the Republic Day weekend).

This is my tentative plan as of now (as shown in the attached map):

Day 1 - Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore Ring Road - Hunsur - Nagarahole / Iruppu Falls - Bylakuppe (Namdroling Monastery) - Kushalnagar (overnight stay).

Day 2 - Dubare - Abbey Falls / Nisargadhama - Talakaveri - Madikeri (overnight stay)

Day 3 - Madikeri - Shanivarasanthe - Holenarasipura - CR Patna - Nelamangala - Bangalore

Please suggest if this is a feasible plan and if the roads mentioned are fine for travel in a hatchback (Especially the track from Hunsur to Iruppu and back to Kushalnagar).
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-coorg-trip-roadmap.jpg  

Old 24th January 2018, 01:22   #251
BHPian

Whenever I went to Madikeri from Bangalore, i ended up taking the Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore ORR (Columbia Asia right turn) - ORR exit - Hunsur route. I have read in this thread that there is a route to completely bypass Mysore by taking a right turn somewhere after SRpatna. Has anyone been to that route off late? How is the road condition for a hatchback? How much time can we realistically save w.r.t. Mysore ORR route?
Old 24th January 2018, 07:52   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Whenever I went to Madikeri from Bangalore, i ended up taking the Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore ORR (Columbia Asia right turn) - ORR exit - Hunsur route. I have read in this thread that there is a route to completely bypass Mysore by taking a right turn somewhere after SRpatna. Has anyone been to that route off late? How is the road condition for a hatchback? How much time can we realistically save w.r.t. Mysore ORR route?
The stretch you are talking about is via Yelawala, you need to take right turn after Srirangapatna and go via KRS Road. Good road throughout with few speed breakers, this route should easily save you around 7kms and connects you directly to Mysore-Madikeri route.
Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-yelawala.png

Since it got repaired last year or so I have been regular in this route and would recommend this route unless you have some work and required to go via ORR Mysore.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 24th January 2018 at 07:53.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 08:29   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikipedia87 View Post
during the Republic Day weekend
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore ORR (Columbia Asia right turn) - ORR exit - Hunsur route
If you plan to take Mysore road, then make sure that you are on Mysore road before 6 am. Else it makes sense to take alternate routes via Kanakpura/Nelamagala/Magadi as suggested in earlier posts. Check the Bangalore - Mysore thread for latest updates.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 15:49   #254
Senior - BHPian

Need some information on following routes towards Coorg for my friend. Any help is appreciated.
It will be a long weekend travel (Good Friday) from Bangalore and here is the plan from his side.

1. On Friday start early from Bangalore towards Nisargadham and Golden temple. Spend almost whole day there and reach a homestay which he has booked near Virajpet in the evening.

Question: What will be the best route from Bangalore towards Coorg over long weekend? Will Kanakapura road be a better option assuming loads of traffic on Mysore road?

2. Saturday - the plan is to go to Dubare, Madikeri, Talakaveri and back to homestay with some places around. This looks like a proper circle as per the map.

Question: How are the roads within Coorg as such? Any specific roads to be avoided?

3. Sunday - the plan is to start back from homestay and visit Mysore and places around before returning to Bangalore.

Question: Will the Mysore Bangalore road be the right choice to return? Or Kanakapura road will be a better better option?

He does not have much interest in waterfalls, may be some bird watching will be good. Could anybody suggest a place nearby there? But again it will be March end with hot weather.
Old 21st February 2018, 00:18   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

Question: Will the Mysore Bangalore road be the right choice to return?
No, it will be pure hell.
Expect the journey back from Mysore to Bangalore to take a bare minimum of 4 hours, or even 7 to 8 hours if luck is not favourable.

Advantages of Kanakapura road:
- Comparatively less traffic. Very little lorry traffic.
- Towns en route are small ones so no major bottle necks. Traffic keeps moving

Disadvantages of Kanakapura road :
- Practically no places for food and rest room break
- Undivided road. Can be unnerving for some, especially at night
- About three quarters of the road between Kanakapura and Malavalli is under expansion,, so traffic reduces to single line. Night driving can be taxing

Advantages of NH275:
- Large number and variety of restaurants
- Divided road. Won't be blinded by high beams of oncoming traffic

Disadvantages:
- Insane traffic. Bottle necks every 20-30 km

Depending on what your friend is comfortable with, he can make a choice based on info above.
My recommendation would be to take NH275 for onward and Kanakapura road for return.
perty is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed