Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2016, 17:07   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Thank you. But this route is about 330 kms from Bangalore. About 60 to 70 kms more than the other routes.
And one of those many sensible options to avoid the Bangalore Mysore Highway, especially on weekends and Holidays.

Bangalore CR Patna - 2 to 2.5 Hours
CR Patna Holenarasipura - 30m
Holenarasipura KR Nagar - 45m
KR Nagar - Hunsur - 20m
Hunsur - Kushalnagar - 45m
Kushalnagar - Madikeri - 45m

Reasonably good in terms of timings despite of the additional distance. Secondly, this one is mostly straight all the way till Kushalnagar, avoids major traffic density areas between Bangalore and Mysore or Kanakpura-Bangalore sectors.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 15:23   #182
BANNED

Some history for those who like that type of thing. It is not route related. More connected with tourism.

Arkalgud was earlier (really way back) known as Arkapuri (City of the Sun). A Rishi called Gautama (not buddha; another G; went around the world in 6 hrs. or something) had performed a sacrifice to the sun here.

Hunsur was earlier called Gadipalya (until maybe 3-400 years ago). This "Gadi" actually stands for "gaadi". It is not chronologically associated with Longines in any way.
Bullock carts (I swear) were made in large numbers in this place.

Last edited by hangover : 31st October 2016 at 15:28.
Old 31st October 2016, 18:04   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can also consider Kunigal CR Patna Holenarasipura Hampapura KR Nagar Hunsur Kushalnagar Madikeri as well. At least till Hunsur, mostly straight roads and overall conditions are also good.This one will also bypass Mysore and hit directly at Hunsur.
You may also consider another route if you are leaving Bangalore early.
Go to Magadi town. If you reach by 6.30 am, you will find some good idly vada places near the bus stand. I like the one on your (if going) right side.

Find the way to Huliyurdurga (it has a small fort atop) and then go to Nagamangala.

From there, go to KR Pet and onwards to Saligram.
Then you cross the highway to Somwarpet. You can avoid traffic in Khushalnagar. Then you may take a twisty road towards Madikeri from Somwarpet.
This route takes a bit longer (6 hrs) yet is shorter (probably the shortest) in distance.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 16:05   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Find the way to Huliyurdurga (it has a small fort atop) and then go to Nagamangala.

From there, go to KR Pet and onwards to Saligram.
Wouldn't Srirangpatna - KRpet - Saligrama be faster than the route you suggested? Not sure what the road conditions are though. Would help if someone can share an update.
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:48   #185
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
One quick question to those who have recently traveled from Bangalore to Coorg. Are there toll booths on this stretch. If so, are they fastag enabled?
No toll if you take the regular route via Mysore.

If you plan to go via CR Patna, HN Pura then you will encounter 3 tolls which accept fastag.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:52   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
No toll if you take the regular route via Mysore.

If you plan to go via CR Patna, HN Pura then you will encounter 3 tolls which accept fastag.
Thanks Sunay. Which route is advisable, from a road quality, time taken etc. perspective. Would be with family. Destination would be Club Mahindra Madikeri.
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:35   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sunay. Which route is advisable, from a road quality, time taken etc. perspective. Would be with family. Destination would be Club Mahindra Madikeri.
When are you travelling Ajay?

Via Mysore - Roads are good all the way. It is 4 lane till Hassan turn off before Hunsur. After that it is wide 2 lane and easily doable. But watch out for speed breakers near villages/towns. It will take 6 hours with a break of 1 hour.

Food Options - Hotel Annapurna before Hunsur.

Via CR Patna - Beautiful 4 lane road till CR Patna and it is all country side roads from CR patna till Kushalnagar via HN Pura and Konnanur. A small stretch near Konnanur is bad, but should not be a worry with XUV. This is 15Kms extra compared to Mysore road.

Food Options - Swathi Delicacy/Mayura
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:38   #188
BHPian

Quote:
When are you travelling Ajay?
My booking is from 18th till 21st of this month. The purple club voucher thingie. I am keeping an eye out for the Tipu Sultan anniversary issue.
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:54   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My booking is from 18th till 21st of this month. The purple club voucher thingie. I am keeping an eye out for the Tipu Sultan anniversary issue.
Should not be an issue on these dates, if any protest happens it will be next week only not after that. So enjoy your holidays
Old 4th November 2016, 03:15   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Wouldn't Srirangpatna - KRpet - Saligrama be faster than the route you suggested? Not sure what the road conditions are though. Would help if someone can share an update.
Oh for sure. Other routes are faster. This is only to be taken if you have some time (and the inclination) to explore interior areas of Karnataka.

General note:
Two methods to prevent passengers from throwing up on ghat roads:
  1. Have lime juice (nimboo); Not you, the passenger;
  2. Take a tablet called "Domstal"; it is specifically an anti motion sickness tab; I think it is available as OTC; one tab an hr. before the ghats;

Last edited by hangover : 4th November 2016 at 03:17.
Old 4th November 2016, 13:59   #191
BHPian

Quote:
I will be in Club Mahindra, Madikere from 12th to 14th. I am still confused between Mysore road and CR Patna route. Don't know which would be better.

I missed out on the Purple Club voucher. Forgot to use it and allowed it to lapse. :(
Old 4th November 2016, 14:03   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be in Club Mahindra, Madikere from 12th to 14th. I am still confused between Mysore road and CR Patna route. Don't know which would be better.

I missed out on the Purple Club voucher. Forgot to use it and allowed it to lapse. :(
Even I had booked in Munnar and could not go due to some unavoidable circumstances and it lapsed.

I would suggest you to take Mysore road for onward and take CR Patna route for return leg, so that you are not confused and you get to enjoy the drive.
Old 6th November 2016, 17:54   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Even I had booked in Munnar and could not go due to some unavoidable circumstances and it lapsed.
Quote:
And I almost cancelled mine! My booking is from Friday till Monday, and my daughter has her school exams from Monday. Might checkout a day early on Sunday. Not too fussed about it as it is free, and am not losing on anything by not turning up.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 12:04   #194
BHPian

Guys, what is the situation as far as self drive (white board, KA registered) and parking is concerned @ usual tourist spots- Raja's seat, Madikeri Fort, Namdroling, Abbey Falls, Thalacauvery and Nisargadham.

TIA

Last edited by ajayclicks : 7th November 2016 at 12:05.
Old 7th November 2016, 12:40   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, what is the situation as far as self drive (white board, KA registered) and parking is concerned @ usual tourist spots- Raja's seat, Madikeri Fort, Namdroling, Abbey Falls, Thalacauvery and Nisargadham.

TIA
Why should there be any problem with KA registered vehicle in Karnataka? I don't think there will be any problem, if you take your vehicle to even Tamil Nadu now, as the Kaveri problem has taken a backseat, for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks