Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 19:19   #211
JD1
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Thank you all for the suggestions. I finally took the Parampara - Hebbaale - Konanur - Ramanathapura - Arkalgud - Holenarasipur - CR Patna - Neelamangala - NICE
Considering that this would be a new route for me, I was tempted to try it out. And then once I came to know about the detour to see windmills, it sealed the deal! It turned out to be a good decision as I started @ 12 and reached HSR @ 4:45
Road till Ramanathapura was good with hardly any traffic (mostly 2 wheelers only). Immediately after Ramanathapura for few kms there were stretches of excellent wide newly tarred road followed by work-in-progress road (bad stretches ranging from 10 m to 50m) followed by regular 1+1 lane tarred road. This continued for quite some time. The most annoying part ofcourse was the unmarked, unannounced speed breakers!
I took a detour after Holenarasipur to see the windmills. It was awesome sight. Hills on both sides with windmills and my lone car on a good tarred road traveling in the middle.

After CR Patna again the road till Bangalore was super awesome with less traffic and trees lines on both sides. This relaxed drive was exactly opposite to the stressful drive on Mysore road! Again the only annoying factor was the super weird speed breakers at CR Patna. It was also nice to travel thru beautiful KA country side (need to do one now after monsoon). We were planning to stop by @ Swathi Delicacy but weren't that much hungry so just decided to continue hence the total commute turned out to be just 4:45 hrs.

Earlier on Saturday morning while driving towards Mysore, I had taken the Kanakpura road (my first time on Kanakpura road). That too turned out to be good with mostly good roads with some patches of bad roads ranging from 10-100 meter - the largest being approx 1 Km due to road tarring work going on (I forgot where exactly but if I remember correctly it was somewhere around Harohalli). We left HSR @ 10am and reached Mysore around 1:30 pm (no stops).
Old 19th May 2017, 16:06   #212
BHPian

Am travelling with family from Chennai to Coorg (Club Mahindra, Madikeri) tomorrow morning by 5.30am. Is "Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore Electronic City - Nice Road - Mandya (SH17)-Mysore - Hunsur- Kushalnagar-Madikeri" the best route? (in road condition and traffic). Please guide.
Old 19th May 2017, 16:36   #213
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaj* View Post
Is "Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore Electronic City - Nice Road - Mandya (SH17)-Mysore - Hunsur- Kushalnagar-Madikeri" the best route? (in road condition and traffic). Please guide.
This route is fine.

To get to NICE Road:
Once you enter Bangalore after Attibele toll, ~10km later you will reach a signal and then you will see the BETL elevated road entry toll gates on the left, ignore this and stay on right.
Another 2-3 km later, you will NICE Road entry from the service road on left, take this, pay the toll and exit at Mysore Road.

To get to Hunsur Road:
At Mysore you will reach a 4 road signal (Mysore ring road on left and right) and also you see Columbia Asia hospital on right. Take the right turn here and head out on the ring road to reach Hunsur road.
Alternatively, at Srirangapatna itaelf you can turn right towards Elivala and reach Hunsur road road, this will be shorter.

Last edited by NPV : 19th May 2017 at 16:39.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 05:06   #214
BHPian

Thanks a lot NPV l. It really helps . Hope and pray to have a manageable weekend traffic!
Raaj* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 12:48   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This route is fine.

To get to NICE Road:
Once you enter Bangalore after Attibele toll, ~10km later you will reach a signal and then you will see the BETL elevated road entry toll gates on the left, ignore this and stay on right.
Another 2-3 km later, you will NICE Road entry from the service road on left, take this, pay the toll and exit at Mysore Road.

To get to Hunsur Road:
At Mysore you will reach a 4 road signal (Mysore ring road on left and right) and also you see Columbia Asia hospital on right. Take the right turn here and head out on the ring road to reach Hunsur road.
Alternatively, at Srirangapatna itaelf you can turn right towards Elivala and reach Hunsur road road, this will be shorter.

Via Mysore is longer. Via KRS Road is shorter and Road is also good. After Srirangapatna town, you will a bridge, just after this you can see a circle kind of place. Take right turn and get out of Mysore Road. That straight road will take you to Hunsur road
Old 22nd May 2017, 00:23   #216
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Via KRS Road is shorter and Road is also good. After Srirangapatna town, you will a bridge, just after this you can see a circle kind of place. Take right turn and get out of Mysore Road. That straight road will take you to Hunsur road
That's the Elivala route via Power grid corporation that I have mentioned as an alternative to Mysore route.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:03   #217
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
That's the Elivala route via Power grid corporation that I have mentioned as an alternative to Mysore route.
Anything latest on this route (Elivala/Yelwale/Yelewala)? Are the roads decent enough to drive? I had multiple disappointments in the past, so double checking.

Regards
Rex
Old 26th May 2017, 09:06   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Anything latest on this route (Elivala/Yelwale/Yelewala)? Are the roads decent enough to drive? I had multiple disappointments in the past, so double checking.

Regards
Rex
Yes, this is good surface throughout now. No need to go till Columbia Asia Signal to get towards Hunsur.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:08   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes, this is good surface throughout now. No need to go till Columbia Asia Signal to get towards Hunsur.
Great. Thanks for the quick reply, Rajeevraj!
I assume rest of the road till Virajpet/Madikeri is as good as it used to be.

Regards
Rex
Old 26th May 2017, 15:55   #220
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Anything latest on this route (Elivala/Yelwale/Yelewala)? Are the roads decent enough to drive?
Last I heard, a very short neglible stretch is rough but overall entire road was relaid not too long ago.
Old 12th June 2017, 13:02   #221
BHPian

18th June plan to drive down to Madikeri from Bangalore North. GPS tells me to drive through Kunigal-Channaryapattana-Arakalagud-Kushalnagar. How is the road condition?. Have done many times Bangalore-Mysore-Kushalnagar but, have never done Kunigal-Channaryapattana-Arakalagud-Kushalnagar.
Old 12th June 2017, 20:45   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
Kunigal-Channaryapattana-Arakalagud-Kushalnagar.
If your destination is Madikeri, you should drive Arkalgud - Shanivarasanthe - Sowmwarpete - Madikeri. Road conditions before the rains were good and the twisties between Sowmwarpete - Madikeri should be fun. Else if you still plan to take Arkalgud - Kushalnagar, then I think Arkalgud - Ramanathapura stretch was being fixed as it was patchy. Not sure about conditions now. If you are starting North Bangalore, this route will be much more relaxed drive as compared to Mysore road.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 13:30   #223
BHPian

I'll be travelling to Virajpet, in a couple of weeks' time and plan to take the Bangalore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet route (I hope this is the best option).

Just wanted to check if anyone has the latest update of the road conditions between Hunsur and Virajpet?

I intend to start at 5 AM from Whitefield. Since the check-in at our resort in Virajpet is at 2 PM, I thought of heading straight for Tala Kaveri and then to the resort.

Could anyone also tell me how the road is between Virajpet and Tala Kaveri?
Old 6th July 2017, 08:13   #224
BHPian

I am planning to visit Chelavara falls and Tala Kavery this weekend.

What is the road condition to chelavara falls? I read in Tripadviser recently that road work is going on and the location is not accessible.

Could anyone tell me about the current situation regarding the roads to these places?
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:48   #225
BHPian

Hi

I am planning a Bangalore (Koramangala) to Madikeri (Club Mahindra) trip. Bangalore - Ramanagara - Srirangapatna - Elivala - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri. While I have done this trip before, this time, I am starting from Bangalore on Thursday 4:30 PM and will probably reach Madikeri at around 10 PM. So the Mysore - Madikeri stretch will be driven at night and I travelling with family. Is that ok from a safety perspective? Any forest dept enforced road closures on this route?

Gears,
Red-One.

Most Viewed