Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2018, 10:45   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Visiting Coorg on 28th April, starting very early in the morning. Plan is to go to Nisargadhama directly from Bangalore and then visit Talakaveri that day evening via Madikeri.
Could somebody help to know the road condition between Madikeri and Talakaveri? As per google maps that road does not seem to be a wide road (shown by white lines against yellow lines for bigger roads). But that road is called as Madikeri-Talakaveri road, so I assume that to be a good road.

My experience with Coorg road is a mixed bag of driveablity. They are good in places and bad as well, but narrow mostly. Any help is really appreciated.
Old 17th April 2018, 16:08   #257
BHPian

Guys - Need recommendation to Madekeri.

I have always traveled through Mysore road going through Srirangapatna -> Hunsur -> Kushalnagar -> Madekeri

When i check Google maps throw up a new faster route through Chanrayapatna ->Arakalagud ->kushalnagar -> Madekeri

Has anyone traveled in the above mentioned route. How is the road condition?
Till Chanrayapatna it would be a breeze i am not sure on the road conditions from Chanrayapatna to Kushalnagar.

Any pointers will be helpful.

Cheers,
Chalukya
Old 17th April 2018, 16:59   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Has anyone traveled in the above mentioned route. How is the road condition?
That's more like a de-facto route to Mangalore too, since January this year, and earlier too, during closure of the Shiradi Ghat.
Well-paved tow-lane roads all through, but need to watch out for winding roads, and speed breakers. The route is well-captured via Google maps, and best to turn on navigation, since it hints on areas around speed breakers (with the yellow, or red stripes).
Cheers!
dkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 19:19   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Guys - Need recommendation to Madekeri.
I have always traveled through Mysore road going through Srirangapatna -> Hunsur -> Kushalnagar -> Madekeri
When i check Google maps throw up a new faster route through Chanrayapatna ->Arakalagud ->kushalnagar -> Madekeri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
That's more like a de-facto route to Mangalore too, since January this year, and earlier too, during closure of the Shiradi Ghat.
Well-paved tow-lane roads all through, but need to watch out for winding roads, and speed breakers. The route is well-captured via Google maps, and best to turn on navigation, since it hints on areas around speed breakers (with the yellow, or red stripes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Could somebody help to know the road condition between Madikeri and Talakaveri? As per google maps that road does not seem to be a wide road (shown by white lines against yellow lines for bigger roads). But that road is called as Madikeri-Talakaveri road, so I assume that to be a good road.
I am doing the same route, Bangalore (Hebbal) - Kushalnagar - Talakaveri, next week. Plan to take the Arakalagud route to Kushalnagar. Hope the Madikeri - Talakaveri road is good. It was excellent during my last visit around 10 years back.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 10:23   #260
BHPian

Thanks guys for the input. Now i have 2 options to choose where the roads are good.
Old 18th April 2018, 10:57   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for the input. Now i have 2 options to choose where the roads are good.
Let me add another CR Patna - Arkalgud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpete - Madikeri. Nice twsity roads in the last stretch from Somwarpete
Old 26th April 2018, 12:29   #262
BHPian

What would be the best route option on a saturday start from Blr at 7AM, to go to Madikkeri ?
I read thru the thread, but most of the starts are about 5-6AM, I cant do that with family.

Plan is to reach Madikeri for a holiday home. Have driven before to Mysore thru NH275, but I hear that is not a good option on Saturday. Given I start late, I would like to have some options to have food around 930-10AM. Does it make sense to take the Neelamangala route, and then enter NH 275 back at Maddur ?

Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 12:41   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
What would be the best route option on a saturday start from Blr at 7AM, to go to Madikkeri ?
I read thru the thread, but most of the starts are about 5-6AM, I cant do that with family.

Plan is to reach Madikeri for a holiday home. Have driven before to Mysore thru NH275, but I hear that is not a good option on Saturday. Given I start late, I would like to have some options to have food around 930-10AM. Does it make sense to take the Neelamangala route, and then enter NH 275 back at Maddur ?

Thanks
I would suggest you to take Bangalore --> Nelamangala --> Yediyur --> Chennarayapatna --> Holenarasipura --> Arakalagud --> Kushalnagar --> Madikeri.

You would be spending some amount for the toll till Chennarayapatna however its worth paying, good well maintained roads all the way. If you are planning to start at 7 AM this will be the best route and reach Madikeri by afternoon.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 13:14   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Bangalore --> Nelamangala --> Yediyur --> Chennarayapatna --> Holenarasipura --> Arakalagud --> Kushalnagar --> Madikeri
To avoid toll madness, you can take ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Kunigal - Yediyur. Good 2L roads till you hit the 6L at Kunigal and this way you avoid the 2 most painful tolls - JAS & Nelamangala.

If you are open to driving on 2L and just want to enjoy a peaceful drive, you can take ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Huliyurdurga - Nagamangala - KRpete - Ramanathapura - Kushalnagar - Madikeri
https://goo.gl/maps/uCtQPH1mFyR2

Based on feedback on BLR -MYS thread, Road conditions till Huliyurdurga is good. I have driven Nagamangala - KRpet, which again is very good roads. Not sure about KRpet - Ramanathapura.

The other option would be ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Huliyurdurga - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - KRS Road - Hunsur - Madikeri.

https://goo.gl/maps/DGwZtfpFiFU2

Nagamangala - Pandavapaura - SRPatna is very good relatively new tarmac, after which its usual Route to Madikeri via Mysore ORR.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 13:54   #265
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Nagamangala - Pandavapaura - SRPatna is very good relatively new tarmac, after which its usual Route to Madikeri via Mysore ORR.
Resurfacing & widening work was still in progress in some sections when I took this route recently.
Related posts:
Post 1

Post 2
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 18:07   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I would suggest you to take Bangalore --> Nelamangala --> Yediyur --> Chennarayapatna --> Holenarasipura --> Arakalagud --> Kushalnagar --> Madikeri.

You would be spending some amount for the toll till Chennarayapatna however its worth paying, good well maintained roads all the way. If you are planning to start at 7 AM this will be the best route and reach Madikeri by afternoon.
Quote:
To avoid toll madness, you can take ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Kunigal - Yediyur. Good 2L roads till you hit the 6L at Kunigal and this way you avoid the 2 most painful tolls - JAS & Nelamangala.

If you are open to driving on 2L and just want to enjoy a peaceful drive, you can take ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Huliyurdurga - Nagamangala - KRpete - Ramanathapura - Kushalnagar - Madikeri
https://goo.gl/maps/uCtQPH1mFyR2

Based on feedback on BLR -MYS thread, Road conditions till Huliyurdurga is good. I have driven Nagamangala - KRpet, which again is very good roads. Not sure about KRpet - Ramanathapura.

The other option would be ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Huliyurdurga - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - KRS Road - Hunsur - Madikeri.

https://goo.gl/maps/DGwZtfpFiFU2

I am a little confused.
I am okay paying for the toll, obviously not okay waiting thru tolls.
Okay on a 2L because this is all morning, but a friend told me the Magadi-HDurga route has no option for food/restrooms. Which of these routes would have rest rooms adequately ?
Old 26th April 2018, 19:09   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am a little confused.
I am okay paying for the toll, obviously not okay waiting thru tolls.
Okay on a 2L because this is all morning, but a friend told me the Magadi-HDurga route has no option for food/restrooms. Which of these routes would have rest rooms adequately ?
If you dont want to wait at tolls and want ample pitstop options, then this would be your best bet

ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Kunigal - Yediyur - Chennarayapatna --> Holenarasipura --> Arakalagud --> Kushalnagar --> Madikeri.

Lots of options around Kunigal once you hit the 6L after which you will again be on 2L with no options (about 2.5 hrs driving time).

If you think you need more pitstops and still want to avoid traffic/tolls, then you should take ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Kunigal - Bellur Cross - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri

This way you have options around Kunigal, Thotada Mane at Pandavapura, Some option in Srirangapatna, Cafe @ Hunsur and so on.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 11:57   #268
BHPian

Quote:
If you dont want to wait at tolls and want ample pitstop options, then this would be your best bet

ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Kunigal - Yediyur - Chennarayapatna --> Holenarasipura --> Arakalagud --> Kushalnagar --> Madikeri.

Lots of options around Kunigal once you hit the 6L after which you will again be on 2L with no options (about 2.5 hrs driving time).

If you think you need more pitstops and still want to avoid traffic/tolls, then you should take ORR /NICE Road - Magadi - Kunigal - Bellur Cross - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri

This way you have options around Kunigal, Thotada Mane at Pandavapura, Some option in Srirangapatna, Cafe @ Hunsur and so on.
Thank you very much, I will verify all routes and spot some places to stop on the way. Much appreciated.
My return would be on a Tuesday, and I hope to take NH275.
Old 17th May 2018, 06:20   #269
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Folks,

Need some guidance please. I am on my first trip to Madikeri with my family, looking to leave Bangalore around 5:30 Am on a weekday, Monday the 28th May precisely. Like others pointed out here already, google maps throws up Bangalore to Kunigal to Yediyur to Holenarasipur to Arakulgud to Madikeri as a faster route by a good 30 minutes even at 5-6 AM in the morning. Obviously the most familiar route would be the one via Mysore, but iam thinking is it worth the extra 30 minutes? And the time could easily extend if traffic builds up on that stretch.

The thing is the first route shows too many turns and constant changes of direction, is it a good road to travel on? Are there decent stops for breakfast? And lastly what stretch in this is 4 or 6 lane roads and what are the routes where its a single lane road with no median? Any inputs would be really helpful. Thanks!
Old 17th May 2018, 09:03   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Folks,

Need some guidance please. I am on my first trip to Madikeri with my family, looking to leave Bangalore around 5:30 Am on a weekday, Monday the 28th May precisely. Like others pointed out here already, google maps throws up Bangalore to Kunigal to Yediyur to Holenarasipur to Arakulgud to Madikeri as a faster route by a good 30 minutes even at 5-6 AM in the morning. Obviously the most familiar route would be the one via Mysore, but iam thinking is it worth the extra 30 minutes? And the time could easily extend if traffic builds up on that stretch.

The thing is the first route shows too many turns and constant changes of direction, is it a good road to travel on? Are there decent stops for breakfast? And lastly what stretch in this is 4 or 6 lane roads and what are the routes where its a single lane road with no median? Any inputs would be really helpful. Thanks!
I took this route twice in April/May in two forms.
1. Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal-Chennarayapatana-Arakalagud-Kushalnagar-Madikeri (Via Magadi exit of NICE road)
2. Bangalore-Nelamangala-Hassan-Gorur-Arakalagud-Kushalnagar-Madikeri (via Tumkur road exit of NICE road)

My recommendation is to go via Nelamangala and then from Chennarayapattana reach to Arakalagud since the road via Magadi is very twisty and no spots for breaks (bio/breakfast).
Make sure you get your breakfast done before Chennarayapatana since once you leave the NH, there are no places to eat (trust me, we ended eating our lunch in a road side place around Arakalagud ). I think if you start by 6AM, you should get some nice places for breakfast on the NH before Chennarayapatana. You can have your lunch at Madikeri or at Kushalnagar easily.

Only the Bangalore Mangalore NH is 3+3 lane divided road. All others are 1+1 with no median. But all the roads are really good, no complaints. Make sure the GPS is on since places around Holenarasipuar/Arakalagud are bit tricky to pass through due to smaller roads in towns.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 17th May 2018 at 09:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks