Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 09:08   #301
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Guys, I will be visiting Madikeri next month. I checked the route options and Google suggests the following:

1: Whitefield > Hebbal > Peenya > Nelamangla > Bellur Cross > Channarayapatna > Ramanathapura > Kushalnagar > Madikeri -- 286KMS

2: Whitefield > Electronic City > NICE Road > Kanakpura Road > Malavalli > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madikeri -- 284KMS

3: Whitefield > Electronic City > NICE Road > Mysore Road > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madikeri -- 297KMS

Now, I have driven on Kanakpura Road and like it, though its narrow but has less traffic. However, lack of places to stop, relax, take a nature break are limited. Especially for the females and a toddler. Mysore road has numerous eateries which is an advantage. Detest the traffic it has on most of the days.

Never used the Channarayapatna route. Anyone knows how it is?

Another point to note is that we plan to leave on a weekday around 8AM. I know I will face the brunt of Bangalore's rush hour but the time of departure is beyond my realm of control. Return would be Sunday afternoon.

Suggestions on the to and fro routes required.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:00   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Guys, I will be visiting Madikeri next month. I checked the route options and Google suggests the following:
I used to travel frequently travel on Channrayapatna route when Shiradi ghat was closed. The road until Channarayapatna is 4 lane and you have good restaurants on the way. Post Channrayapatna, roads are in good condition with less traffic. However there are numerous speed breakers and no options for food until Kushalnagara. Also if you are travelling for first time, follow GPS, its easy to miss those diversions.
Note: The conditions I mentioned is based on my travel which happened about 7-8 months back, given there hasn't been too much rain, the road conditions should be pretty much same.

Last edited by ampere : 17th July 2019 at 09:28. Reason: Reduced quoted post
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 11:45   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whitefield > Hebbal > Peenya > Nelamangla > Bellur Cross > Channarayapatna > Ramanathapura > Kushalnagar > Madikeri -- 286KMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The conditions I mentioned is based on my travel which happened about 7-8 months back
I know someone who drove this route 2 weeks ago in a hatch and did not have any issues. Your problem will be getting from Whitefield to Peenya if you leave at 8 am. You could try the whitefield to airport route and then deviate towards Yelahanka and then take the Yelahanka - Nelamangala route thereby avoiding weekday city traffic. Should definitely be faster than getting stuck at Tin factory, Manyata, Goraguntepalya etc.
https://goo.gl/maps/jaHzRkCBLsK3MGmz8

Note: Please note that google maps tends to take you through a very narrow road when heading towards Kushalnagar from Ramanathapura. Ensure that you stick to the highway once you get to Ramanathapura.

Last edited by procrj : 27th June 2019 at 11:52.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 11:56   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1: Whitefield > Hebbal > Peenya > Nelamangla > Bellur Cross > Channarayapatna > Ramanathapura > Kushalnagar > Madikeri -- 286KMS

2: Whitefield > Electronic City > NICE Road > Kanakpura Road > Malavalli > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madikeri -- 284KMS

3: Whitefield > Electronic City > NICE Road > Mysore Road > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madikeri -- 297KMS
Take Nice Road but exit at Magadi Road, cross Magadi and hit the Mangalore highway near Kunigal. Magadi road is nice, mild twists, broad road and cool tar quality. Road goes through nice vegetation. You will bypass the Nelmangala traffic completely and further take Option 1 as above. I have taken it twice last year and still very happy about that
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 12:22   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I know someone who drove this route 2 weeks ago in a hatch and did not have any issues. Your problem will be getting from Whitefield to Peenya if you leave at 8 am. You could try the whitefield to airport route and then deviate towards Yelahanka and then take the Yelahanka - Nelamangala route thereby avoiding weekday city traffic. Should definitely be faster than getting stuck at Tin factory, Manyata, Goraguntepalya etc.
https://goo.gl/maps/jaHzRkCBLsK3MGmz8
On a weekday morning, travelling from Whitefield to Goraguntepalya should be okay, given one will be travelling against the traffic. Barring Manyata and Tin factory rest of the stretch should be okay.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 16:04   #306

Hi..

We are planning a trip to Coorg this weekend. We will be taking up Channarayapatna route. Is this route good to take now in monsoon? Also, if any one has an idea of weather in Coorg now, please help. Thanks!
Old 19th July 2019, 13:47   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhi_22 View Post
Coorg this weekend
Quote:
Massive Rains in Kerala since last floods and 1st 100 mm in Valparai with Chinnakallar this monsoon. Waynad catchment too got heavy rains. So good news for Kabini. Today and Tomorrow extreme rains possible in ghats of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Avoid going to the mountain areas in Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu (Western Ghats) this weekend.
Source:https://www.facebook.com/tamilnaduwe...76094682617800

Based on past experience, I would say TN weatherman is accurate most times. Hence would suggest you talk to locals before heading out.
Old 19th July 2019, 14:09   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Source:https://www.facebook.com/tamilnaduwe...76094682617800

Based on past experience, I would say TN weatherman is accurate most times. Hence would suggest you talk to locals before heading out.
Thanks so much!! We had to cancel after seeing orange alert from IMD today morning. Terribly disappointed but safety comes first. Spoke with homestay guys, they said it is okay for now but we wanted to avoid the risk.
Will start following TN weatherman.
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:08   #309
BHPian

Hi All,

Just back from a 4 day trip to Madikeri. Took different routes while going and returning.

Since we had a toddler with us, we were only able to leave home in Whitefield at 9:30 AM on a Thursday, despite me urging everyone to hurry up. End result was that we had to bear the brunt of Bangalore traffic and reached NICE Road at 11 AM. Onward, took the Mysore road and it was smooth drive, with sporadic rains. Reached the resort at the end of Madikeri by 4:30 PM.

Route taken:
Whitefield > Electronic City > NICE Road > Mysore Road > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madikeri -- 297KMS

Advantage of this route are the numerous places to stop when needed - essential with a toddler.

While returning, decided to try the route via Kunigal. It was a good decision. The roads are very good and a mix of mostly empty 2 lane state highways and 6 lane highways. We left the resort at 11:30 AM and were in Bangalore by 4 PM, to be welcomed by the Bangalore traffic again. Took an hour from Yeshwantpur to Whitefield.

Route taken:
Madikeri > Kushalnagar > Ramanathapura > Channarayapatna > Bellur Cross > Nelamangla > Hebbal > Whitefield -- 286KMS

Advantage of this route is smoother, wider and better roads. Limited food joints though.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 23rd July 2019 at 09:09.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 10:10   #310
BHPian

Can someone please advise me if Sulya - Madikeri road is open and drivable.
Old 6th August 2019, 08:35   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Can someone please advise me if Sulya - Madikeri road is open and drivable.
Today's news and this means it's a risky one to drive around considering current state of this road:
Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img_20190806_083345.jpg
Old 6th August 2019, 08:54   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Today's news and this means it's a risky one to drive around considering current state of this road:
Attachment 1902831
Thanks, but this is a different route. Not the one that goes via Sampaje
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 08:56   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Thanks, but this is a different route. Not the one that goes via Sampaje
You are right. My bad.

Some more images of the road being referred to above.

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20190806wa0033.jpg

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20190806wa0030.jpg

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20190806wa0031.jpg
As received on WhatsApp.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:15   #314

Hi Guys, need some advice..

we will be travelling to Coorg via the Mysore route tomorrow morning with a toddler. Given the weather conditions, i checked with the hotel staff and they said that their district is largely unaffected by the rains. The location of the resort is Pollibetta. Although it is raining there as well but as heavily like in other parts of Coorg. They say that reaching their resort shouldn't be a problem. Wanted to know 2things:
1. Does anyone know the current situation in Pollibetta (not other districts as i know it is raining heavily)
2. Is the route ok for a drive? hope no damage to the highway due to the rains.

TIA!
Old 9th August 2019, 15:30   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankush Bahri View Post
Hi Guys, need some advice..

we will be travelling to Coorg via the Mysore route tomorrow morning with a toddler. Given the weather conditions, i checked with the hotel staff and they said that their district is largely unaffected by the rains. The location of the resort is Pollibetta. Although it is raining there as well but as heavily like in other parts of Coorg. They say that reaching their resort shouldn't be a problem. Wanted to know 2things:
1. Does anyone know the current situation in Pollibetta (not other districts as i know it is raining heavily)
2. Is the route ok for a drive? hope no damage to the highway due to the rains.

TIA!

I would say better be safe and not venture there. With reservoirs filling up situations can change drastically very quickly especially if you get over night rains.

Places like Virajpet are reported to be flooded which is not that far.

Most Viewed