Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2021, 21:48   #376
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

I also took Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe route to Madikeri, but with few deviations which turned out be the most pleasurable part of the journey!

During the onward journey, after Channarayapatna, I took SH121 - SH102 and joined SH8 at Holenarasipura. Then after Shanivarasanthe, took Vanagoor -> Kumbur instead of direct SH8 to Somwarapete. I must thank @procrj and @guyfrmblr for these ideas and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive on these scenic routes !!

While in Madikeri, went for a trek to Nishani Motte peak and the views of the Bisile Ghat on one side and Sampaje Ghat on the other side was awesome !! Also went for a drive on Madikeri-Mangalore highway towards Sullia on one of the days. Again excellent wide roads and scenic beauty on this stretch. Thanks to @ccnarayanan's for this suggestion.

On return journey, instead of using gmaps, decided to follow my car's inbuilt navigation which is based on HERE maps. This time took SH8 from Somwarapete to Shanivarasanthe which had less twisties, inclines/declines compared to Vanagoor route, but still a beautiful drive amidst the coffee plantations. The Essar petrol bunk at Shanivarasanthe had well maintained restrooms. Thanks @guyfrmblr again for this tip!

After Arkalagud, surprisingly, the navigation guided me towards Gorur - Hassan route instead of Holenarasipura - Channarayapatna to touch NH75. WOW ! what a beauty this SH21 turned out to be !! Its a tolled route with butter smooth tarmac and sweeping curves riding along the Hemavathi backwaters. Absolute belter !! With Hassan bypass also in great shape, it didnt add much to the overall time or distance. Quickly looked up @paragsachania's post in this thread and had lunch at Sri Krishna Bhavan as we entered NH75 at Hassan, which was good decision since all other popular eateries ahead in the route were quite crowded as we passed by.
mankuthimma is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 10:18   #377
BHPian

Happy New Year Everyone!!

We did the Madikeri trip before Christmas.
Thanks to fellow BHPians for the route insights.

Bangalore - Madikeri :
Nelamangala > CPatna > Arkalgud > Ramnathpura > Kushalnagar > Madikeri

6AM Start
Stopped at Dhruvathare (after Kunigal) for breakfast. The place was buzzing alive. Spotted a dark blue Ferrari in parking!
Drove at an average of 120 kmph till CPatna
Good roads overall, except a few patches before and after Ramnathpura.
As some BHPians pointed out, speed-breakers are in annoyingly high number between Arkalgud & Kushalnagar
After a couple more 15/20 min breaks, and leisurely drive, reached Madikeri by 12.

We stayed at Taj Madikeri once again. Love the well spread out property, where one can walk, hike and enjoy serene, quite nature within the vast premises itself. Recommended.

Madikeri - Bangalore :
Madikeri > Somwarpet > Shaniwarshanthe > Arkalgud > CPatna > Nelamangala

12PM start.
Drive down the coffee plantations were refreshing. Hardly any vehicles in sight.
Road via Shanivarshanthe is more consistent for drive without annoying speed-breakers
Stopped at Hallimane after CPatna for a late lunch.
NH75 was quite busy could do an average of 80-100 kmph. Came across the few usual newbie highway drivers who just know and show how to rev and make life difficult for others. Interestingly there was a brand new Merc, who desperately wanted to win the highway and race hard, but always ended up in the wrong lane.
The last toll post Nelemangala was frustratingly crammed and took about 45 minutes.

Good refreshing 4 days.

Last edited by DASKD24 : 5th January 2021 at 10:19.
DASKD24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 17:09   #378
BHPian

Happy New Year My Lovely Tribe !!!
Hope 2021 yields lot many happy miles to each one of us here.

I am back with a Query: Planning a drive to Kakkabe, South West to Madikeri; on 23rd January (long weekend due to 26th January).

Which route would you suggest me to take ?
Google Map suggests the usual Mysore > Hunsur > Gonikopalu > Virajpet route. I am afraid due to the long weekend this route would be jam packed even if I do a 6 AM start. Moreover, with the ongoing construction, heavy traffic will only add to the chaos.

For Madikeri it suggests the Hassan route: Neelamangala > Arakalgud > Ramnathapura > Kushalnagar

Kindly suggest:
1. Which route should I take in onward and return journey?

2. What would be a good time to start if I need to reach Kakkabe by 1 PM or so.

3. Also, please suggest good pit stops with good toilets en-route as I will be traveling with Senior Citizens, Ladies and Kids.

Thank You in Advance.
Old 12th January 2021, 20:04   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
I am back with a Query: Planning a drive to Kakkabe, South West to Madikeri; on 23rd January (long weekend due to 26th January).

Which route would you suggest me to take ?

Thank You in Advance.
Hi, I am doing a drive to Coorg on the 23rd morning with a similar group composition (2 cars - cousins, my mother, 2.5yr daughter) and depending on the route you take, we may bump into each other en-route. My destination is near Dubare and i am planning the Mangalore highway (Nelamangala - Kunigal route) till CR Patna and then take a detour. I have had some terrible drives on long weekends few years back on Mysore route and wouldnt want to risk that again. Also due to Covid, there's probably going to be lot more cars (than folks taking bus/train in long weekend) on the road and i would rather spend some extra time on toll gates on the Mangalore highway than a 6 hour crawl on Mysore highway

If you indeed take the Mangalore highway, there's Swati Delicary, Dhruvatare and Halli Mane, all ~1.5-2h drive from Blr for breakfast. I have stopped at Swati and Dhruvatare and had good food and clean washrooms

Hope this helps

Last edited by aroonanand : 12th January 2021 at 20:05. Reason: details added
Old 12th January 2021, 20:26   #380
BHPian

Paakashala at Koopa between Swati and Dhruvatare is my regular stop. It's on the other side of the road but right opposite a break in the median so is easy to access.

Good food, great coffee, clean loos, tons of parking, and best of all zero crowd.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 13:33   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Hi, I am doing a drive to Coorg on the 23rd morning with a similar group composition (2 cars - cousins, my mother, 2.5yr daughter) and depending on the route you take, we may bump into each other en-route. My destination is near Dubare and i am planning the Mangalore highway (Nelamangala - Kunigal route) till CR Patna and then take a detour. I have had some terrible drives on long weekends few years back on Mysore route and wouldnt want to risk that again. Also due to Covid, there's probably going to be lot more cars (than folks taking bus/train in long weekend) on the road and i would rather spend some extra time on toll gates on the Mangalore highway than a 6 hour crawl on Mysore highway
WOW - cool! Hope we will meet - signal to stop if you see a fat guy in a KA51 White Creta with a dashcam.

After going through previous reviews and from my past experience (similar to yours) - I have decided to take the BLR > Neelamangala > Channarayanapatna > Arkalgud > Shanivarasanthe > Somwarpet > Madikei > Napoklu > Kakkabe – 333 kms 7 hours of drive time as per Google Maps.

I am not sure about the Road Condition from Madikei > Napoklu > Kakkabe - Can Anyone Please Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
If you indeed take the Mangalore highway, there's Swati Delicary, Dhruvatare and Halli Mane, all ~1.5-2h drive from Blr for breakfast. I have stopped at Swati and Dhruvatare and had good food and clean washrooms

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Paakashala at Koopa between Swati and Dhruvatare is my regular stop. It's on the other side of the road but right opposite a break in the median so is easy to access.

Good food, great coffee, clean loos, tons of parking, and best of all zero crowd.
Thank you for your inputs.
So I have decided to stop for Breakfast in Dhruvatare while going to Coorg and at Paakashala for lunch during my return.

Any inputs on the Road from Madikeri to Kakkabe would be Helpful! Thanks in advance.

Best Regards!
Old 21st January 2021, 17:27   #382
BHPian

Folks - any recommendation for a clean place for veggie lunch at / around Kushal Nagar (not particular on veg-only places or cuisine - continental/pizzas are also fine). My plan is to leave Bangalore early morning on the 23rd with Dubare as end-destination, drive thru Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna but we would take a detour to Shravanabelagola and hence I would assume we will cross Kushal Nagar around lunch time. Did a quick google search and from images/ratings, Bayleaf and Tripper's Resto Cafe look good. thanks !
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:30   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a night/early morning drive to Kutta from Bangalore. Looking for infromation on:
a) How safe is it to take Nagamangala - Pandavapura route at about 3 am?
b) Gonikoppa - Kutta - havent driven this stretch in a long time and hence looking for inputs on road conditions as well as safety as I plan to travel with family.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th February 2021, 06:45   #384
BHPian

Did a Bangalore to Madikeri trip recently. Outbound stop was at Sri Krishna Bhavan near Hassan. There was no one other than us there. The food was Ok. Inbound stop was at Swathi Delicacy. This place was teeming with people. Food took some time to be served.

The road via Hassan-Shanivarsanthe-Somvarpet is good except for stretch between Shanivarsanthe and Arakalagud which is slightly bad.

The Essar Pump at Shanivarsanthe is highly recommended.

If driving to the Taj Madikeri, please use Google maps to reach the Club Mahindra resort and then follow the sign boards.
Old 21st February 2021, 08:10   #385
BHPian

Folks, I will be going to Madikeri (Club Mahindra) from Bangalore next week. I have read through some of the posts here, but wanted to check in to see what would be the best route for a group that has older folks (aged late 60's and early 70's). We plan on leaving Bangalore around 7AM, grab breakfast on the way and get to Madikeri in time for lunch.
Old 21st February 2021, 09:38   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
Folks, I will be going to Madikeri (Club Mahindra) from Bangalore next week. I have read through some of the posts here, but wanted to check in to see what would be the best route for a group that has older folks (aged late 60's and early 70's). We plan on leaving Bangalore around 7AM, grab breakfast on the way and get to Madikeri in time for lunch.
Depends on which part of Bangalore you will be starting from. Kunigal route is preferred if your starting point is in north Bangalore. Mysore route is generally not preferred due to heavy/unruly traffic, it is also having road-widening work now. Kanakapura route is slow and not the best if you are looking for food & restroom options along the way.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 10:28   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Depends on which part of Bangalore you will be starting from. Kunigal route is preferred if your starting point is in north Bangalore. Mysore route is generally not preferred due to heavy/unruly traffic, it is also having road-widening work now. Kanakapura route is slow and not the best if you are looking for food & restroom options along the way.
Thanks for the input - we will be leaving from Yeshwanthpur area. Here is the route I was planning on taking - Google Maps

I see a few posts recommending this route. I would have liked to take a scenic route, but we will be 6 adults plus a kid in our XUV500 with luggage on the roof rack, so windy roads will not be comfortable
Old 21st February 2021, 10:57   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
Thanks for the input - we will be leaving from Yeshwanthpur area. Here is the route I was planning on taking - Google Maps

I see a few posts recommending this route. I would have liked to take a scenic route, but we will be 6 adults plus a kid in our XUV500 with luggage on the roof rack, so windy roads will not be comfortable
If you are in the mood to optimise for scenary, consider Hassan > shanivarsanathe route. Search this thread for Hassan and shanivarsanathe to see recent feedback.
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:13   #389
BHPian

Hi All,

I am traveling to Coorg (Ayatana Resort) from Sarjapur road this weekend.

Its first road trip after lockdown, and given that I will be traveling with kids, the idea is to have an easy and comfortable drive. Sightseeing on the way is not the priority.
Based on the feedback on the thread planning to take the following route:

Kunigal -> Chennarayapattana -> Holenarasipura ->Arakalgud->Shanivarsanthe ->Somwarpet

I would love inputs on

1) Is the choice of route correct, or should I make some changes
2) I plan to leave early in the morning (4 AM); the idea is to cover as much journey as possible before kids wake up. This means that I will be off NH75 by the time (7-7:30 AM) kids wake up, and we need a place for bio-breaks & light snacks. Any good places post NH75/Chennarayapattana. The only requirement is a clean restroom, decent breakfast, no preferences on cuisine, idli/vada or sandwich, and anything that will work.

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:42   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
I would love inputs on

1) Is the choice of route correct, or should I make some changes
Given that your destination is Ayatana, the route is perfect.
Quote:
2) I plan to leave early in the morning (4 AM); the idea is to cover as much journey as possible before kids wake up. This means that I will be off NH75 by the time (7-7:30 AM) kids wake up, and we need a place for bio-breaks & light snacks. Any good places post NH75/Chennarayapattana. The only requirement is a clean restroom, decent breakfast, no preferences on cuisine, idli/vada or sandwich, and anything that will work.
This remains a big challenge on this route. Absolutely nothing really worth on this stretch after you get off Channarayapatna. Plus, you will be leaving at 0400 and by the time it is 0730, you will be very well past Holenarasipura also. You can try Laxmi Delicacy at Arkalgud instead. A typical Darshini Hotel, decent rest rooms (if not good) and ideal pit-stop break with your 0400am start.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks