Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:11   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Kunigal -> Chennarayapattana -> Holenarasipura ->Arakalgud->Shanivarsanthe ->Somwarpet
Route is good, do post a detailed review of Ayatana, has been on my to list for sometime now. Your other option for breakfast is Kalyana Bhavan, Somwarpete - https://goo.gl/maps/voth6LEwrH2wKz536. I have heard good reviews from a couple of friends but never had a chance to stop here for food.

If you are looking for clean restrooms, your 2 options once you turn off from NH75 are
1) Eassar petrol pump after HN Pura. In fact any Essar petrol pump has clean, gender seperated rest rooms.
2) IOCL at Shanivarasanthe.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:21   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you are looking for clean restrooms, your 2 options once you turn off from NH75 are
1) Eassar petrol pump after HN Pura. In fact any Essar petrol pump has clean, gender seperated rest rooms.
2) IOCL at Shanivarasanthe.
In General, fuel stations remain a good bet on the highways/roads where you dont have good places to stop by. This is exactly what I have been doing when I am with my parents. As you mention, the staff does hand over keys of the locked rest rooms if there are ladies along with you.

Furthermore, it is now a mandate that all fuel stations must maintain cleaner restrooms.

Quote:
According to the ministry concerned, building toilets and putting in place drinking water units at petrol pumps is mandatory. TOI quoted ministry officials as saying that they are taking actions against erring pump owners under relevant provisions of law.
Every time you buy petrol, diesel, you also pay for toilet at fuel pump

However, consistency in maintaining them clean is really the concern with all the fuel stations.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd February 2021 at 18:26.
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:49   #393
BHPian

We took this route today - Google Maps and it was great. Left Bangalore at 7:45, had breakfast at Swathi for 45 minutes and reached our resort at 12:45.
Old 26th February 2021, 20:24   #394
BHPian

Had been to Virajpet over the weekend with family in 3 cars.

From bangalore we took the usual Mysore route via ramanagara-Chennapatna-maddur-mandya-mysore-Hunusuru-virajapet.

Went to mysore as we wanted the kids to see the animals in the zoo.

Due to road expansion work, the speeds were slow but since we started little early in the morning, we were able to make decent time with lengthy breaks for breakfast, zoo and lunch of almost 3 hours before reaching our destination by afternoon.

On return we went to Dubare elephant camp and from there we decided to take the below route: virajpet - kushalnagar - ramanathpura - arakalagud - Holenarasipura - chennarayapattana - yediyur - kunigal - Nelamangala - Bangalore. Took about 5.30 hours as we encountered heavy rains between arakalagud to chennarayapattana plus we stopped for over an hour for dinner on the way.

The road between virajpet and kushalnagar is being relaid and the surface layer has been removed for quite a few KMs. driving an SUV would be preferable on this stretch. Sedan can also do this stretch but the experience won't be good!

Rest of the route is really good but need to watch out for unmarked speed breakers!Due to heavy rain i missed one such speed breaker and ended up jumping at decent speed and the rear seat passengers did get their head banged to the roof and got a good mouth-full from me for not wearing the seat belts!

For anyone traveling towards coorg the route via chennarayapattana - holenarasipura - arkalagud would be recommended to use t his route especially considering the mysore road condition.

Last edited by ant_vas : 26th February 2021 at 20:31. Reason: updated road condition
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 20:44   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Rest of the route is really good but need to watch out for unmarked speed breakers!
The funny part on this section (Ramnathapura - Arkalgud) is that most of the speedbreakers where they are are unmarked while most of the rumblers are well marked. Last I drove here was in the last week of December and we were passing this section in the night. I realised after a while that the warning signages were only for the rumblers that you would anyway pass without slowing down while the proper speedbreakers were never marked!!

Quote:
For anyone traveling towards coorg the route via chennarayapattana - holenarasipura - arkalagud would be recommended to use t his route especially considering the mysore road condition.
The most efficient and peaceful road would be this and I fully agree.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 21:08   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
virajpet - kushalnagar - ramanathpura - arakalagud - Holenarasipura - chennarayapattana - yediyur - kunigal - Nelamangala - Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The most efficient and peaceful road would be this and I fully agree.
How do I connect to this if I am at Hunsur? And is it worth taking this instead of Mysore road. Destination is Marathahalli. I do not mind the Yeswanthapura - Ring Road - Marathahalli stretch traffic as it is for this Sunday morning, hoping less traffic.

But otherwise, is it still worth taking the Channarayapatna route? Coming from KL - Gonikoppal - Hunsur.
Old 26th February 2021, 21:33   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How do I connect to this if I am at Hunsur? And is it worth taking this instead of Mysore road. Destination is Marathahalli. I do not mind the Yeswanthapura - Ring Road - Marathahalli stretch traffic as it is for this Sunday morning, hoping less traffic.
From Hunsur, I don't recommend this at all. It is an unnecessary detour. Instead you can very well consider Hunsur KR Nagar Hampapura Holenarasipura CR Patna.

This is the exact route I have taken few times to reach Virajpet earlier. Road conditions are good. Latest being reported here.

Quote:
But otherwise, is it still worth taking the Channarayapatna route? Coming from KL - Gonikoppal - Hunsur.
From Hunsur, you may not really gain much. But still worth a try. It is longer by at least 50 Km.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 21:44   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

From Kushalnagar as well as gonikoppal you can set the GPS to Arakalgudu and then follow the BM road. Peaceful route, food stops are not as plenty once you leave Kushalnagar till you reach BM road.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 21:58   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
From Kushalnagar as well as gonikoppal you can set the GPS to Arakalgudu and then follow the BM road. Peaceful route, food stops are not as plenty once you leave Kushalnagar till you reach BM road.
Right. Hence I was telling that if one is already at Hunsur, then there is no point to drive either to Ramnathapura or Arkalgdu at all.

During the same drive in Dec when we drove to Coorg, for my onward, since my destination was Bylukoppe, I actually took the same route. The internal route generally remains good, quite narrow in many sections but nothing to complain till you again merge back with the Ramnathapura Arkalgud road.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-screenshot_20210226220021410_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg  

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th February 2021 at 22:01.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:04   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...Instead you can very well consider Hunsur KR Nagar Hampapura Holenarasipura CR Patna.

...It is longer by at least 50 Km.
So I took this route today. I guess Hampapura is in this stretch. I didn't notice the place.

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-hunsur.jpg

Overall, good, at least I explored a new route. But the numerous humps from Hunsur to KR Nagar and beyond is a pain. Really felt the long 50 Km . Glad of taking a new route. But like you said, from Hunsur not much gains in terms of time, but a relaxed drive.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:12   #401
BHPian

Hey guys, is there checking for COVID within karnataka itself? Planning on travelling in march
Thanks in advance
Old 28th February 2021, 22:17   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Hey guys, is there checking for COVID within karnataka itself? Planning on travelling in march
Thanks in advance
No checking within Karnataka at the moment. At the moment, there is checking for COVD test results at Kerala - Karnataka border.
Old 17th March 2021, 15:00   #403

Hello everyone.

Can someone suggest me the ideal route between Bangalore and Virajpet? I am not interested in a scenic route, rather, I am interested in the easiest (to drive) and the fastest way to reach the destination directly. Could someone please tell me what route is to be taken and the condition of roads of said route?

By easiest to drive, I mean the road which has the least curves or 'ghat' area - simple straightforward road is preferred.
Old 17th March 2021, 15:46   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacBandit View Post
Can someone suggest me the ideal route between Bangalore and Virajpet?...
...simple straightforward road is preferred.
Simple, easiest, straight forward route with ample restaurant and refreshment options:

Bangalore - Mysore road (Ramanagara - Mandya - Srirangapatna) - Mysore Bypass (via KRS Road) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet

The only downside is the road expansion work happening on Mysore road. So expect a slow, but moving traffic. But not as bad and since your preference is straight forward route, this is the one. The road condition is good through out. I have driven past Virajpet last week through this route.
Old 17th March 2021, 15:56   #405

Quote:
Simple, easiest, straight forward route with ample restaurant and refreshment options:
Thanks a lot for your reply. I was also wondering if you could give me an estimate for what is an ideal time to leave if I want to reach by 1:00-2:00pm? With this time estimate, could you recommend good places to stop for breakfast and lunch?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks