Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2014, 17:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
Make sure you visit Dhanushkodi from Rameshwaram. We visited for sunrise early in the morning. You can visit for sunset as well. You can hire Jeeps from your hotel itself. Daiwik hotels is supposedly really good.
Dhanushkodi is definitely on the plans. We would like to spend good time there for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
If visiting temples is of priority, then try to visit the famous Nava tirupati temples in Tirunelveli which is 150 kms from Madurai. These temples are maintained by TVS Motor Company. Wish quite a number of temples are taken over by corporates.
Not quite sure if we can manage this, however if we do, I believe the 'halwa' there is pretty famous as well. My friend used to get that for me earlier.
Old 11th November 2014, 09:32   #77
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Planning a Bangalore-Madurai-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram-Bangalore Trip
Also, is that the right order to visit these places? If not, please suggest the order as well.
Did this trip (same order you have mentioned) in Dec 2011 - details here
You can also consider doing Bangalore-Madurai-Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari-Bangalore so that you just do NH7 all the way upto Salem on the return.
Old 22nd November 2015, 20:21   #78
BHPian

Hi,

My uncle is planning to drive to Rameshewaram on Tue morning. Is it still raining on all these places? Is it safe to drive now?

Prasad
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:05   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Is it safe to drive nowd
Though it was raining heavily last week, there was no issues in road connectivity to Rameshwaram last week.

There is forecast for rains till Wednesday, however apart from that there should not be any issues.

Below is forecast for Rameshwaram from IMD.

Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram : Route Queries-screenshot_20151122210200.png
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 16:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Kanyakumari via Madurai last month in my Civic.
We stayed at Madurai & left to Kanyakumari & Kovalam (TRVNDRM) the next morning.
The roads are fantastic, Absolutely no potholes or any scary road humps through out.
Just before Kanyakumari (arunrd 4 kms) , the 4 lane highway was closed & had to take a deviation & join the KK town.

Some months back we had been to Rameshwaram too.
The road from Madurai to Rameshwaram was freshly tarred by then and absolute hoot to drive on the highway.
Stayed at Daiwik Rameshwaram, Fantastic hospitality & Fabulous breakfast too.
Old 25th November 2015, 11:05   #81
Senior - BHPian

We are planning Madurai, Rameshwaram during the X-mas weekend. I along with my BIL and family will be driving down from Bangalore. Our parents and relatives (group of 6 ) will be driving down from Munnar and will join us in Madurai. Accommodation is booked in Madurai Residency and Daiwik. I hear good feedbacks on Madurai Residency with good parking and is walking distance from the temple. I would like to know if this is the right choice when you are driving down from Bangalore (worried about the narrow roads and heave traffic in Madura) or should I look for something near the ring road.
Old 25th November 2015, 11:41   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
We are planning Madurai, Rameshwaram during the X-mas weekend.driving down from Bangalore (worried about the narrow roads and heave traffic in Madura) or should I look for something near the ring road.
Driving in Madurai is not as chaotic as Bangalore. You can manage the traffic.(Near temple it's different story altogether)
Simple advice, If you have any plans of visiting the Madurai temple please park your car in the Hotel itself, take an Auto or cab to the temple.
The traffic & rush at the temple roads is too much to handle during peak hours.
I had parked my car in hotel & took an auto to the temple & it was really a safe bet

Regarding Munnar- Theni- Madurai, I had travelled to Munnar some months back , the roads were freshly tarred and was in beautiful condition.
Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram : Route Queries-dsc_0433.jpg

Also Madurai - Rameshwaram was in good condition was freshly tarred at some sections
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:29   #83
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hear good feedbacks on Madurai Residency with good parking and is walking distance from the temple. I would like to know if this is the right choice when you are driving down from Bangalore (worried about the narrow roads and heave traffic in Madura) or should I look for something near the ring road.
Not sure about how Madurai Residency is nor their parking facilities. Please confirm about their parking arrangements. Many hotels closer to the temple do not have parking in their own campus and may have rented space close by for parking.
If you need an alternate option you can consider Hotel Metropole (they have basement parking for at least 8-10 cars) which is near the District courts near Melur and very close to the ring road and Rameshwaram road. I think it can be easily accessed bypassing the city when coming from Bangalore (your car) as well as from Munnar (your parents car).
For visit to the temple, just use a cab or autos
If you want to stay closer to the temple, New College House is another option and they have parking in their campus. But again, my personal preference would be to stay away from the busy areas around the temple.

Last edited by NPV : 25th November 2015 at 13:31.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:46   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Driving in Madurai is not as chaotic as Bangalore. You can manage the traffic.(Near temple it's different story altogether)
Simple advice, If you have any plans of visiting the Madurai temple please park your car in the Hotel itself, take an Auto or cab to the temple.
The traffic & rush at the temple roads is too much to handle during peak hours.
I had parked my car in hotel & took an auto to the temple & it was really a safe bet

Regarding Munnar- Theni- Madurai, I had travelled to Munnar some months back , the roads were freshly tarred and was in beautiful condition.
Attachment 1443463

Also Madurai - Rameshwaram was in good condition was freshly tarred at some sections
Thanks sushrutha, My plan is to leave the car in hotel and use a rick. BTW I heard there is excellent parking opened near one of the temple entrance (recollect it as eastern side) with good paid parking facility and is just few minutes walk to the temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not sure about how Madurai Residency is nor their parking facilities. Please confirm about their parking arrangements. Many hotels closer to the temple do not have parking in their own campus and may have rented space close by for parking.
If you need an alternate option you can consider Hotel Metropole (they have basement parking for at least 8-10 cars) which is near the District courts near Melur and very close to the ring road and Rameshwaram road. I think it can be easily accessed bypassing the city when coming from Bangalore (your car) as well as from Munnar (your parents car).
If you want to stay closer to the temple, New College House is another option and they have parking in their campus. But again, my personal preference would be to stay away from the busy areas around the temple.
Thanks NPV, I will check on Hotel Metropole, recent feedbacks on New College House on BHP is not very encouraging.

I read in Trip advisor that Madurai Residency has a basement parking. We will be using 2 Fortuners for the trip, hence I am bit apprehensive if they can fit in the basement and has left a note in Trip Advisor to check on this. I see many BHPians have stayed here in the past, hope someone will be able to comment on the parking part.
Old 25th November 2015, 19:57   #85
Senior - BHPian

Yes, New College House is not good in last few years for staying/accommodation. They haven't renovated their lodging facilities for very long.

However, they have completely renovated their restaurant and now it is called as "Hotel Merina" which is super cool. Awesome yummy traditional food, WiFi facility, appealing interiors - Great place for food as another option. Hotel Sabaris nearby provides good food, but the place is small and is mostly congested. Difficult to get seats. Hotel Merina now solves that problem and can be dined leisurely.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 07:33   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks NPV, I will check on Hotel Metropole, recent feedbacks on New College House on BHP is not very encouraging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
f you need an alternate option you can consider Hotel Metropole (they have basement parking for at least 8-10 cars) which is near the District courts near Melur and very close to the ring road and Rameshwaram road. I think it can be easily accessed bypassing the city when coming from Bangalore (your car) as well as from Munnar (your parents car).
Madurai abounds in hotels. Just open up tripadvisor and one see can all kinds of hotels. Go a bit higher on the budget and you end with all the good ones. GRT, Gateway, Park Plaza, Astoria, Sangam etc. And yes for all temple visits a cab or a rick is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
However, they have completely renovated their restaurant and now it is called as "Hotel Merina" which is super cool. Awesome yummy traditional food, WiFi facility, appealing interiors - Great place for food as another option.
This is real good to hear !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:07   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Madurai abounds in hotels. Just open up tripadvisor and one see can all kinds of hotels. Go a bit higher on the budget and you end with all the good ones. GRT, Gateway, Park Plaza, Astoria, Sangam etc. And yes for all temple visits a cab or a rick is the best.

!
Thanks ampere. I would prefer to keep it in range of not more than 3.5 K since we are a large group that needs 5 rooms and the plan is just to spend one night. Hence did not consider some of the options you mentioned.
Old 26th November 2015, 12:06   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ampere. I would prefer to keep it in range of not more than 3.5 K since we are a large group that needs 5 rooms and the plan is just to spend one night. Hence did not consider some of the options you mentioned.
We stayed at MMR Gardens @ Madurai, Near district court
It's a decent hotel, room & toilets were neat and clean.
Valet & Basement parking available but it's tight parking, they also have gated open parking.
We had Lunch & Dinner at Anjappar, it was quite good, but spicy.
Couldn't have complimentary breakfast as we were leaving very early the next day

Check the below link
http://www.goibibo.com/hotels/detail...Gardens%22%7D/
With goibibo discount coupon, it's turning out to be very very awesome deal.
Including complimentary Buffet breakfast

Rameshwaram,
We stayed at Daiwik Rameshwaram, It's also a very good hotel with yummy buffet breakfast
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 16:18   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

Check the below link
http://www.goibibo.com/hotels/detail...Gardens%22%7D/
With goibibo discount coupon, it's turning out to be very very awesome deal.
Including complimentary Buffet breakfast

Rameshwaram,
We stayed at Daiwik Rameshwaram, It's also a very good hotel with yummy buffet breakfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

This is real good to hear !
Thanks Sushrutha and Ampere, I think have found a good place with support from both of you. I had ignored goibibo this time with out no reason till Sushrutha's suggestion. I could get 5 rooms in Astoria (suggestion from Ampere) at less than 2K per room including breakfast through goibibo promotional offer. This is when hotel site is quoting INR 3,687.00 . BTW to avail full benefit of the deal, I had to do 5 separate booking in two different names.

Read in TripAdvisor that the parking space in Astoria is small, need to find a way to fit in both the cars.
Old 26th November 2015, 16:21   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Sushrutha and Ampere, I think have found a good place with support from both of you. I had ignored goibibo this time with out no reason till Sushrutha's suggestion. I could get 5 rooms in Astoria (suggestion from Ampere) at less than 2K per room including breakfast through goibibo promotional offer. This is when hotel site is quoting INR 3,687.00 . BTW to avail full benefit of the deal, I had to do 5 separate booking in two different names.
I personally have not stayed at Astoria. But have heard good things about this place. And it also reflects in hotels ratings on Tripadvisor. I hope you have a pleasant stay and drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed