Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 17:18   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I personally have not stayed at Astoria. But have heard good things about this place. And it also reflects in hotels ratings on Tripadvisor. I hope you have a pleasant stay and drive.
Thanks again Ampere, I had gone through the reviews and rating on Tripadvisor before closing on the place. Now the only nagging part is the parking which I hope wont be much of a trouble.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 17:21   #92
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks again Ampere, I had gone through the reviews and rating on Tripadvisor before closing on the place. Now the only nagging part is the parking which I hope wont be much of a trouble.
Typically with respect to Madurai, my perception has been that the good hotels are a bit away from the center of the city and hence may have more space. But its not that big a city where one cant take cab/auto to reach a place very fast.

Add to it as Ravi says, the new re-vamped New College House restaurant!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 14:59   #93
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Hello Folks,

Just planning for a drive from Bangalore to Rameshwaram in coming days. I was wondering about the road conditions after the horrendous rains on the east cost in TN.
Any ideas and updates on the same. Is the road from Rameshwaram to Dhanushkoti ready now ?
Old 14th December 2015, 15:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Hello Folks,

Just planning for a drive from Bangalore to Rameshwaram in coming days. I was wondering about the road conditions after the horrendous rains on the east cost in TN.
Any ideas and updates on the same. Is the road from Rameshwaram to Dhanushkoti ready now ?
Mate, Even I will be travelling to Kanyakumari and Rameswaram in the last week of December. In your case, stick to NH7 and then take the Madurai-Rameswaram road.
We do not have a complete road from Rameswaram to Dhanushkodi. Only upto certain point you can take your vehicle after which you have to rely on 4X4 jeeps only.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 15:27   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
In your case, stick to NH7 and then take the Madurai-Rameswaram road.
What is the condition of Madurai-Rameshwaram road. Last heard that it was being four laned ? Any updates
Old 14th December 2015, 17:23   #96
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
What is the condition of Madurai-Rameshwaram road. Last heard that it was being four laned ? Any updates
Hadn't heard of the 4 laning work but last I heard it was quite good, no bad sections really.
Old 29th July 2019, 16:28   #97
BHPian

Just completed this circuit yesterday. I have benefited immensely from reading all the threads on this route and here are my two cents

Thursday
  • Started with Full tank at 4:55 AM from home heading to Rameswaram.
  • Breakfast break at Sai Annapoorna after Salem(Accepts card payment, Clean toilets and parking) Noticed an A2B 10-15kms after crossing this point.
  • Filled fuel at the Madurai Bypass at a BP COCO (Accepts Paytm , Clean toilets)
  • Madurai- Rameswaram is good with Four lanes (50-60% If I remember correctly) One of the tolls on this route didn't accept Fastag stating that the toll booth had just opened(The fastag lane was closed-paid cash).Overall good roads.
  • Lunch break at Ramnad junction(Vasantham's - It is on the right just as you turn left towards Rameswaram. Decent place and clean toilets)
  • Reached Pamban Bridge at 330 PM. Didn't get to see the train in spite of waiting 20-25 minutes.
  • Stayed at Jiwan Residency near Agni Theertham (Decent place with parking).
  • Explored Rameswaram - Visited Kalam's House and Ramanath Temple
Friday
  • Left the hotel early at 6 AM to Dhanushkodi only to find the access road blocked midway till the opening time. Apparently there is some Coastal board
    that directs the opening time everyday. The time last Friday was 7AM.
  • Left the hotel at 1030 AM to visit Kalam's memorial enroute Kanyakumari.
  • Lunch break at Tuticorin - Tirunelveli highway just as you leave Tuticorin junction(COCO Family Restaurant.Small but decent place,Accepts card payment and clean toilets. It is on the right and one needs to cross the road)
  • Reached Kanyakumari at 530PM. Checked-in to Hotel TamilNadu (Unbeatable location and surroundings though maintenance could be a couple of notches higher, Ample parking available).
  • Visited Sunset point.
Saturday
  • Visited observation tower for Sunrise and Vivekananda Rock.
  • Left the hotel at 11AM towards Madurai.
  • Lunch break at Capsi.
  • Checked into Hotel Madurai Residency near the Meenakshi Temple (Valet parking at the basement).
  • Tried the Jigarthanda from the Famous Jigarthanda Shop. There are many fakes around (Use tripadvisor to figure out the genuine one).
  • Visited the Temple.
Sunday
  • Checked out from the hotel at 9AM.
  • Filled Fuel at the TVS BP station.
  • Lunch break at Sree Saravana Bhavan at Krishnagiri.
  • Reached home at 630PM highly satisfied and refreshed.

Thanks to all Bhpians who have posted information that helped me plan this trip.
DejavuTrip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 00:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejavuTrip View Post
  • Lunch break at Sree Saravana Bhavan at Krishnagiri.
  • Reached home at 630PM highly satisfied and refreshed.
Why did it take this long from Krishnagiri? Was there too much traffic?
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 11:14   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
[/list]Why did it take this long from Krishnagiri? Was there too much traffic?
Good observation Left Krishnagiri at 330 PM. Got stuck at the Fastag express toll for 10 minutes as the truck entered the lane without balance. Rains after entering Attibele. It took longer to reach Krishnagiri because my wife drove for 2.5-3 hours at a maximum speed of 60km/hr from Valluvar Restaurant in Karur to Omalur toll plaza In fact, she drove on Day 2 and 3 as well that reflected in longer driving times. Wide roads and sparse traffic - just the perfect setting to get some driving practise

Last edited by navin : 30th July 2019 at 15:54. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2 per post.
Old 30th July 2019, 13:20   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejavuTrip View Post
Friday
  • Left the hotel at 1030 AM to visit Kalam's memorial enroute Kanyakumari.
  • Lunch break at Tuticorin - Tirunelveli highway just as you leave Tuticorin junction(COCO Family Restaurant.Small but decent place,Accepts card payment and clean toilets. It is on the right and one needs to cross the road)
  • Reached Kanyakumari at 530PM. Checked-in to Hotel TamilNadu (Unbeatable location and surroundings though maintenance could be a couple of notches higher, Ample parking available).
  • Visited Sunset point.
How is the road condition between Rameswaram and Kanyakumari? Assuming you have taken the ECR all the way.
Old 30th July 2019, 13:33   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
How is the road condition between Rameswaram and Kanyakumari? Assuming you have taken the ECR all the way.
Took ECR till Tuticorin only.(The road is two lane but good). Then the highway to Tirunelveli and NH44 to Kanyakumari.
Old 30th July 2019, 14:07   #102

I am planning for the same road trip from Hyderabad in Sept end. Your post helps. Thanks.
Old 25th February 2020, 13:35   #103
BHPian

We might drive from Blore (Silkboard) - Tirunelveli (Junction) in May. I think we'll head out at 5 am and hope to reach Tirunelveli by 3 pm.

I expect we'll take a breakfast break at 8.30 am in Salem, general tea break at 11.30 am just before Dindigul, and then lunch break at 1 pm soon after Madurai). Maybe might even skip the tea break if feel up to it.

Heard good and bad things about FASTag. Hope it works out smooth!
Old 25th February 2020, 15:04   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
We might drive from Blore (Silkboard) - Tirunelveli (Junction) in May. I think we'll head out at 5 am and hope to reach Tirunelveli by 3 pm.

I expect we'll take a breakfast break at 8.30 am in Salem, general tea break at 11.30 am just before Dindigul, and then lunch break at 1 pm soon after Madurai). Maybe might even skip the tea break if feel up to it.

I did a Bangalore - Trivandrum trip last week. Started at around 6:45 from Bellandur and was hitting Madurai by 1, including a couple of short breaks.

With a 5 am start, you would easily be touching Madurai for your tea break.
Fastag worked at all tolls albeit with a handheld scanner. But that was an issue with my tag and not the booths per se. I'd be more concerned about the heat during May.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 20:11   #105
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

with a 5am start, you will cross salem no later than 7:30am, driving at 100kph cruise.
With 3am starts, I have always reached hotel temple city (madurai outer) on the highway (~10km before deviation for madurai city entry) around 7am.

Considering the distance, for every 1/2 hour that you make the start earlier than 5am, you will end up saving 1 hour each, for your destination arrival. Vice versa for every 1/2 hour of delayed start past 5am.
Seriously consider starting earlier, since TN highways are bone dry without a hint of tree cover, and will reduce the fatigue of day time travel in hot sun

Last edited by venkyhere : 25th February 2020 at 20:18.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks