Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2008, 13:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
We have Dec 20-21 to Dec 28 at our disposal (I can throw in a couple of extra days if I happen to meet any fellow Tbhpians ).
I plan to be in Kullu/Manali on 31st of December if all goes well. Surely would like to meet you up there . All the best with for your first Safari trip - am sure you would thoroughly enjoy it !
Old 13th September 2014, 20:01   #17
BHPian

Noida to Manikaran

Hi folks,

Me and my friends are embarking on a road trip from Noida to Manikaran and back during the great Gandhi Jayanti - Dusshera weekend that's coming up. There will be five of us in the trip. Our main plan is to visit Kasol but our hotel is booked in Manikaran.

I have been reading through all existing threads on this route and gathering as much information. But I still had the following queries:-

1. What's the best route to take? Google Maps lists this route and I think this is the one mentioned in the other threads too. But I wanted to confirm with you all again, especially, based on the current road conditions. I believe there are some other scenic routes but I'd prefer the safest and most efficient route. (Note: I am from Bangalore and my friends, who are from NCR region, also have very little idea about the routes up north).

2. Already asked above, but to re-iterate, how are the road conditions in the suggested route? Also, any time or any other kind of restrictions on these roads, especially the ones in the hills?

3. I have driven quite a bit across the country which has had a fair share of ghat section drives. Plus, two of my friends are casual drivers and would be comfortable in the plains. We need to do the round trip drive plus short local drives to Kasol, Tosh and other nearby places. We should be fine with this set of drivers, right?

4. But all of us have driven hatchbacks and sedans only till now. So would it be an issue to rent out a self-driven SUV for this trip? And any suggestions on which one we should take (budget is not a big constraint but we don't want to go bonkers about it)? Also, pointers to good self-driving car rentals in and around Noida?

5. Given that we are going on a peak holiday weekend, would the traffic get too bad up in the hills?

Okay, enough questions asked. Look forward to the replies and truly appreciate the time you would have spent in reading and replying.

Cheers!
Old 13th September 2014, 20:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Noida to Manikaran

1. That route is a disaster between Ropar and Bilaspur. The ideal route from Delhi will be Chandigarh(Zirakhpur)-Kalka-Arki-Ghaghas-Mandi-Kullu-Manikaran. Its about 50km longer than the one you have marked on Google Maps but the road is much better and devoid of traffic. Its a scenic drive to boot.

2.All these roads are open to general public at all times. Unseasonal rains can cause landslides in the Kullu-Manikaran stretch

3. Its a decent drive all the way to Kullu. You should not have much trouble. Onwards to Manikaran though was fairly narrow and technical the last time I was there. That last stretch is best tackled by an experienced driver.

4. This trip can be done in any car or SUV. 4x4 is not required.

5. Make no mistake, traffic will be HORRIBLE all through on account of the extended weekend. I will strongly recommend that you cover as much distance as possible by night. Leave Delhi by 6 in the evening and you can easily reach Mandi by sunrise.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 13th September 2014 at 20:22.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks