Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 19:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Coimbatore to Gurvayoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Is the entire stretch of NH47 between Palakkad & Thrissur too bad? If we go via Pollachi, once we touch NH47 near Vadakkancherry, how is the stretch from that point till Thrissur/Guruvayur?
The problem on NH47 starts after Vadakkencherry.It is between Vadakkencherry & Pattikad that all the problems lie(Vaniyampara-Kuthiran ghats-terrible),so taking the Pollachi route is not going to help in any way.If you are taking the Pollachi route to avoid Avinashi,then you could reach Alathur and then go via Pazhyannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri(either Kecheri or Kunnamkular route) to Guruvayur

Take the Pollachi-Koduvayur-Alathur route and cut across NH47 and go on towards Alathur-Pazhayannur.

Quote:
Another question I had was why go via Kunnamkulam since if Kecheri road is good from Wadakanchery (frankly dont know the condition now but assume it is good) because that will avoid the traffic prone Kunnamkulam town roads as well as help you reach East Nada directly where most people stay. Please help me know of this option too.
Yes Kecheri is also a good option,not much of traffic,the only problem while coming from Shoranur side is that you would have to cross two level crossing gates(one the notorious and infamous one at wadakancheri and then 6kms from there at Parlikkad after Wadakancheri station).If the gates are open,then Kecheri is also a good option.However I am not sure of current road conditions.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The problem on NH47 starts after Vadakkencherry.It is between Vadakkencherry & Pattikad that all the problems lie(Vaniyampara-Kuthiran ghats-terrible),so taking the Pollachi route is not going to help in any way.If you are taking the Pollachi route to avoid Avinashi,then you could reach Alathur and then go via Pazhyannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri(either Kecheri or Kunnamkular route) to Guruvayur

Take the Pollachi-Koduvayur-Alathur route and cut across NH47 and go on towards Alathur-Pazhayannur.
Is Pollachi-Koduvayur-Alathur route better than Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur route? I am not sure how far they overlap and coming from Pollachi, where the 2 roads fork so that the best option is taken? Please provide me the googlemaps link for the route you suggested.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Pollachi-Koduvayur-Alathur route better than Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur route? I am not sure how far they overlap and coming from Pollachi, where the 2 roads fork so that the best option is taken? Please provide me the googlemaps link for the route you suggested.
Kollengode would have been good,if Vadakkencherry is your destination,else IMO its a round about way of reaching Alathur.

The route you would need to take is Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Vadavannur-Thathamangalam-Koduvayur-Alathur

Pollachi, Tamil Nadu to Alathur, Kerala - Google Maps
Old 27th June 2011, 19:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Kollengode would have been good,if Vadakkencherry is your destination,else IMO its a round about way of reaching Alathur.

The route you would need to take is Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Vadavannur-Thathamangalam-Koduvayur-Alathur

Pollachi, Tamil Nadu to Alathur, Kerala - Google Maps
I trust this. My question was based on 2 points though:
1) GoogleMaps show a lesser distance via Kollengode (as compared to Koduvayur) when I checked. But I dont believe that fully since timing and comfort factor are not part of google maps.
2) I am a bit more familiar with Kollengode-Alathur road. Wanted to leverage on the same if possible
Old 27th June 2011, 19:56   #35
Team-BHP Support

The Pollachi approach coupled with this one about cutting NH47 seems like a good idea to reach GVR from Bangalore.

The standard route is 500 km (NH7/47 via Trichur) , while this one is just 25 km more, but much easier to drive. One needs to cross Pollachi though. (The Mysore option is 100km lesser but amounts to driving through Ghats).

How about driving conditions beyond Alathur?

EDIT: Sorry for bringing the Bangalore angle on the Chennai-GVR thread!

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2011 at 19:57.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:08   #36
BHPian

One of my friends recently travelled to GVR from Chennai.
Chennai - Perambalur - Karur - Dharapuram- Udumalpet - Pollachi - Palakkad-Otapallam-GVR.

Reached in around 10 hours. Roads are rough between Perambalur - Karur & pollachi - Palakkad. Otherwise the route was fine.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:13   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
One of my friends recently travelled to GVR from Chennai.
Chennai - Perambalur - Karur - Dharapuram- Udumalpet - Pollachi - Palakkad-Otapallam-GVR.

Reached in around 10 hours. Roads are rough between Perambalur - Karur & pollachi - Palakkad. Otherwise the route was fine.
Now add this modification, what Ranjit suggested. The route becomes even nicer.
Pollachi-Koduvaur-Alathur-Wadakancherry-Kecheri-Chondal-GVR.

Definitely worth a try.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:22   #38
BHPian

How is the road condition from End of CBE Byepass till Walayar? If that is good, then one can risk taking Avinashi route & Walayar - Palakad and escape into Kerala SH through Otapallam if the destination is GVR.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) I am a bit more familiar with Kollengode-Alathur road. Wanted to leverage on the same if possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How about driving conditions beyond Alathur?

They are all state highways but road conditions are by and large good,excellent scenic drives as well.Places of interest on this route are not many,except for the Pazhyannur Temple(http://www.pazhayannurtemple.com),

The Narasu's pickles at Chelakara,its a home-based industry.

The uthralikavu temple(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uthralikavu_Pooram)

The best and the most famous place on this route though is SNR Chips at Alathur town.

SNR Banana Chips

Ajith,do not forget to pack their banana chips,they just melt away in your mouth.It is run by two brothers and they have a huge bronze vessel of boiling oil into which the raw banana keeps falling,its amazing.They have been featured in so many papers and news channels.A regular supply of their chips finds its way into the President's & Prime Ministers office as well if news reports are to be believed.The secret behind their taste apparently is that the raw bananas are sourced from a particular place in Thrissur and the experience is something that one needs to go through,they are so very very different from the rest of the chips that one gets in Kerala.

Google SNR Chips Alathur and you would see the results!It is a must have item on your list

snr chips alathur - Google Maps

Theres an Orkut community as well!
Old 27th June 2011, 21:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
They are all state highways but road conditions are by and large good,excellent scenic drives as well.Places of interest on this route are not many,except for the Pazhyannur Temple(http://www.pazhayannurtemple.com),

The Narasu's pickles at Chelakara,its a home-based industry.

The uthralikavu temple(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uthralikavu_Pooram)

The best and the most famous place on this route though is SNR Chips at Alathur town.

SNR Banana Chips

Ajith,do not forget to pack their banana chips,they just melt away in your mouth.It is run by two brothers and they have a huge bronze vessel of boiling oil into which the raw banana keeps falling,its amazing.They have been featured in so many papers and news channels.A regular supply of their chips finds its way into the President's & Prime Ministers office as well if news reports are to be believed.The secret behind their taste apparently is that the raw bananas are sourced from a particular place in Thrissur and the experience is something that one needs to go through,they are so very very different from the rest of the chips that one gets in Kerala.

Google SNR Chips Alathur and you would see the results!It is a must have item on your list

snr chips alathur - Google Maps

Theres an Orkut community as well!
Thanks for the tips. So, are there railway crossings on Pollachi->Alathur->Guruvayur road? Also, I am not sure whether you mentioned whether Pollachi->Kollengode->Alathur is not recommended and I should opt for Pollachi->Koduvayur->Alathur road only. Please comment on this as well.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. So, are there railway crossings on Pollachi->Alathur->Guruvayur road? Also, I am not sure whether you mentioned whether Pollachi->Kollengode->Alathur is not recommended and I should opt for Pollachi->Koduvayur->Alathur road only. Please comment on this as well.
To go to Alathur,you dont need to go to Kollengode,you can come via Koduvayur.

As for railway crossings,if you opt for the kechery route,then there are two gates,if you go via the kunnamkulam route then no level crossings.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
To go to Alathur,you dont need to go to Kollengode,you can come via Koduvayur.

As for railway crossings,if you opt for the kechery route,then there are two gates,if you go via the kunnamkulam route then no level crossings.
So, the recommended detailed route to take is Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Vadavannur-Thathamangalam-Koduvayur-Alathur-Wadakancherry(Ottupara Junction)-Kundannur-Mangad-Nelluwaye Dhanwanthari Temple-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

About crossing the line, I understood no level crossings in the Kunnamkulam route. So, just curious to know where the Trichur-Shornur railway line is crossed and it is an ROB or RUB?
Old 27th June 2011, 22:09   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
About crossing the line, I understood no level crossings in the Kunnamkulam route. So, just curious to know where the Trichur-Shornur railway line is crossed and it is an ROB or RUB?
It should be at Wadakancherry it self, where I think you would cross the line.
This is when you are coming from Alathur.
Old 27th June 2011, 22:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, the recommended detailed route to take is Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Vadavannur-Thathamangalam-Koduvayur-Alathur-Wadakancherry(Ottupara Junction)-Kundannur-Mangad-Nelluwaye Dhanwanthari Temple-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

The Shoranur-Thrissur line is crossed around 5 kilometers before Ottupara via a ROB at a place called Agamala an area of thick forests
Vazhacode Junction, SH 22, Kerala to Akamala Ayyapan Temple - Google Maps

The Thrissur road cuts the rail line again at the infamous Wadakancheri Level crossing.That is the reason to go to kecheri,the road faces two level crossings again because the road jumps to the other side of the tracks and then comes back to this side(a to & fro motion!)

Your route would be this from Alathur:

Alathur, Kerala to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps
Old 28th June 2011, 09:25   #45
BHPian

I just returned from a Chennai Kanyakumari - Trivandrum - Cochin trip through the Cochin Thrissur Palakkad Walayar route,
Thrissur to Palakkad and
Walayar to Coimbatore belts are the worst and the lorry traffic is heavy.

As someone had asked, CBE bypass to Salem road is just ok. I would suggest to look for alternatives. The 4 laning is not complete and the traffic is heavy.

I have not tried the Pollachi - Alathur route, If some one takes that route, please post the conditions as I will be traveling to Cochin again this month.
Thanks!

Happy Motoring,
Ajay

Most Viewed