Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 15:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Rajat, I suggest you start by 12noon. It will be better for them to rest at the station rather than you reach early and wait. I really liked waiting room of Chennai (I used to wait there to catch the late bangalore train and enjoy the chennai traffic, buildings etc)
In that case you need not have to think of parking (as it get very congusted outside central), they can come at the main gate, load them in the car and drive outside the city. Then stop by at some food joint for some rest and tea etc.

Abhi
Hi Abhi, Chennai Central has a decent sized parking lot, so that should not be an issue, if push comes to shove you could park at the premium parking lot which is I think Rs.25/- for an hour. so no worries on that aspect. The stretch between Maduravayol and Koyambedu is very unpredictable hence the need to start early.

@Rajat Alternatively you could take the Mount Road and go to Chennai Central which considering its a Saturday the traffic may not be very bad. The route would be as follows - Poonamallee byepass take a right under the second flyover, come upto Mount - Poonamallee road, take a left and continue until Porur Jn.where you again take a left onto Arcot Road, continue on that road with no deviations until Nungambakkam High Road Jn (dead end) take a right and an immediate left near Gemini Flyover which would take you to Mount Road, continue on Mount Road until "The Hindu", take the 2nd left after "The Hindu" (after you pass under the MRTS line which would run perpendicular to the road, the 1st left) and go as the road takes you, you would hit opposite Chennai Central Station. This is certainly longer route though.
You would take about one and half hours from Poonamallee to Chennai central but you would not get stuck in any unpredictable jam.
Old 16th December 2008, 15:29   #17
BANNED

Rajat, if you are not familiar with Chennai, I suggest an early start (say 10 am) and continue straight along Poonamalee High Road, pray that you don't get caught too much at Maduravoyal & beyond, and reach Madras Central.

If you are willing to experiment, pypkmsrikanth's route is very good.

Now, the big question: are you the only driver? Or can one of your relatives drive? Driving from Bangalore to Chennai is not a big deal but battling Chennai traffic and driving back to Bangalore can get extremely tiring.

Would suggest you start from Chennai after 7 pm since that will clear the roads for you (of pedestrains / cyclists etc. typically found at Vellore / Ambur) after Poonamalee.
Old 16th December 2008, 15:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Hi Abhi, Chennai Central has a decent sized parking lot, so that should not be an issue, if push comes to shove you could park at the premium parking lot which is I think Rs.25/- for an hour. so no worries on that aspect. The stretch between Maduravayol and Koyambedu is very unpredictable hence the need to start early.

@Rajat Alternatively you could take the Mount Road and go to Chennai Central which considering its a Saturday the traffic may not be very bad. The route would be as follows - Poonamallee byepass take a right under the second flyover, come upto Mount - Poonamallee road, take a left and continue until Porur Jn.where you again take a left onto Arcot Road, continue on that road with no deviations until Nungambakkam High Road Jn (dead end) take a right and an immediate left near Gemini Flyover which would take you to Mount Road, continue on Mount Road until "The Hindu", take the 2nd left after "The Hindu" (after you pass under the MRTS line which would run perpendicular to the road, the 1st left) and go as the road takes you, you would hit opposite Chennai Central Station. This is certainly longer route though.
You would take about one and half hours from Poonamallee to Chennai central but you would not get stuck in any unpredictable jam.
IMO, probability of traffic jams in this route is also quite high, since the following bottlenecks: Porur junction, arcot road, valluvar kottam junction, sterling road junction and but once you cross gemini flyover it will be a breeze. I would advise the poonamalle high road only, because its one single road to take, no deviations apart from mauravoyal-koyambedu traffic jam, anna arch - aminjikarai traffic jam. After aminijikarai, there will not be of much traffic and would take take 20-30 minutes from there to reach chennai central.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
I would advise the poonamalle high road only, because its one single road to take, no deviations ...
Even I prefer this simpler route as I am totally new to Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Rajat, if you are not familiar with Chennai, I suggest an early start (say 10 am) ...

Now, the big question: are you the only driver? Or can one of your relatives drive? Driving from Bangalore to Chennai is not a big deal but battling Chennai traffic and driving back to Bangalore can get extremely tiring.

Would suggest you start from Chennai after 7 pm since that will clear the roads for you (of pedestrains / cyclists etc. typically found at Vellore / Ambur) after Poonamalee.
Yes. I am planning to start latest by 10.30 AM.
Me and my Brother-in-law will share driving. So, not much hassles.
Train ETA is ~5.30 PM. I plan to start return journey asap, drive patiently through the traffic and then break for refreshements/switch drivers once we touch NH.

Quote:
Chennai Central has a decent sized parking lot....

@Rajat Alternatively you could take the Mount Road ....
Thanks for the info about parking. I am not very confident about trying Mount road option as it seems that there are quite a few turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Since the relatives are coming from Howrah (Coromondel Exp I guess?) ...

Rajat, I suggest you start by 12noon. ...
Abhi
Correct. Coromondel Exp.
Planning to start early by 10.30 AM
Old 16th December 2008, 16:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO, probability of traffic jams in this route is also quite high, since the following bottlenecks: Porur junction, arcot road, valluvar kottam junction, sterling road junction and but once you cross gemini flyover it will be a breeze. I would advise the poonamalle high road only, because its one single road to take, no deviations apart from mauravoyal-koyambedu traffic jam, anna arch - aminjikarai traffic jam. After aminijikarai, there will not be of much traffic and would take take 20-30 minutes from there to reach chennai central.
Hi Subbu which is why I have suggested the Koyambedu route, but these days its extremely unpredictable, I have taken more than 2 hours to reach from Padi to Poonamallee and on Sunday when I was returning from Villupuram I had taken about 20 minutes to reach Padi from Maduravayol. So the reason for the alternate route. Also in my opinion the only stretch which would be congested is from Vadapalani to Valluvar Kottam which I assume since he would be going in the opposite direction to the traffic flow he may not have much trouble. Also note that you dont need to go to Sterling Road since you would be going straight to Gemini flyover from Valluvar Kottam.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 16th December 2008 at 16:42.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maduravoyal to Koyembedu can take 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Do consider.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Subbu which is why I have suggested the Koyambedu route, but these days its extremely unpredictable, I have taken more than 2 hours to reach from Padi to Poonamallee and on Sunday when I was returning from Villupuram I had taken about 20 minutes to reach Padi from Koyambedu. So the reason for the alternate route. Also in my opinion the only stretch which would be congested is from Vadapalani to Valluvar Kottam which I assume since he would be going in the opposite direction to the traffic flow he may not have much trouble. Also note that you dont need to go to Sterling Road since you would be going straight to Gemini flyover from Valluvar Kottam.
Yes, you are right about the route to Gemini Flyover, but even that road is narrow and that right turn near the parsen complex might be big.

I think you might have spent lot of time in the Padi junction (lucas tvs signal) since that junction is famous for deadly jams. I agree with you with the unpredictable jams on the poonamallee high road, but still this is the best route to take.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:46   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
Yes. I am planning to start latest by 10.30 AM.
Me and my Brother-in-law will share driving. So, not much hassles.
Train ETA is ~5.30 PM. I plan to start return journey asap, drive patiently through the traffic and then break for refreshements/switch drivers once we touch NH.
Sounds good. Stick to this option. "Foodie Goodie" or something similar is the first good place to stop. This used to be a Reliance A1 plaza earlier.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think you might have spent lot of time in the Padi junction (lucas tvs signal) since that junction is famous for deadly jams. I agree with you with the unpredictable jams on the poonamallee high road, but still this is the best route to take.
I dont take the Lucas Jn. in fact I very rarely come via Koyambedu from Poonamalle its either through the lanes of Mogappair or Ambattur Estae and in some rare cases when there is a jam beyond Maduravayol towards Poonamallee side I go via Avadi. In one instance I had to go back all the way to Poonamallee and then go via Porur and then come back to Ring Road via Chinmaya Nagar. Except for the route suggested by Manu (Mission_Safari) which is now closed because of construction, have tried every possible route from Poonamallee
Old 16th December 2008, 23:23   #25
BHPian

Auto !! anytime anywhere

Hi Rajat!
When you are entering chennai before poonamallee there is a place called Motel Highway at thirumazhisai.there is a decent parking lot there!
leave the car there, take an auto or call taxi to reach the central station.
these guys know every nook and corner and will take you in time!!
dont risk the evening traffic at koyambedu , being saturday its a real hotspot.
your journey out of chennai will be even more time taking !!!
return bak in a different auto dont hold on to the same fellow!
considering the traffic and the fuel you would waste standing in the signals and the jams you can pay a fraction of it to the auto and enjoy the back seat ride !! you get some rest and also peace!!!!
-ajay
Old 17th December 2008, 12:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
Hi Rajat!
...leave the car there, take an auto or call taxi to reach the central station....
-ajay
Thanks Ajay. Your idea sounds pretty lucrative and convenient.

My questions before freezing on this option:

a) How safe is keeping the car in Motel Highway parking lot for long duration? If train reaches late, then we may take more than 3-4 hours in coming back to Motel Highway.

b) What will be the approximate auto fare from Motel Highway to MAS? Knowing this will help me to bargain better (if required).

c) While returning back to Motel Highway, we would like to take a prepaid cab (Is it available at MAS?). This is because we will be 4 people + 2/3 luggages ( suitcase, bag etc.) at that time.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajat
Old 17th December 2008, 14:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Motel Highway to Central is atleast 20-25 kms. Knowing Chennai autos that would be around 250-300 bucks minimum they would ask one way. They'll know you are not a Chennaite and then the fare could be even more!!! Also how many people are coming? What about luggage? You have to weigh in all these factors.

If you are used to Bangalore traffic you can drive anywhere. Stick to your plan. Start early and reach peacefully. Its a Straight road to Central station. So no confusions. As everyone has pointed out your guests can wait in case you are late. You can also call 139 I think (others correct me if I'm wrong) and find out the exact arrival time. Calling about the time you reach Poonamallee would give you an idea of the train arrival.
Old 17th December 2008, 14:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
If you are used to Bangalore traffic you can drive anywhere. Stick to your plan. Start early and reach peacefully. Its a Straight road to Central station....
Thanks. I get your point and will stick to original plan.

I am used to Bangalore traffic for more than 9 years .

Rajat
Old 17th December 2008, 16:18   #29
BHPian

thats better idea too.... Using Auto's in Chennai - No way - they will totally dry up your pocket :(
Old 18th December 2008, 11:44   #30
BHPian

Dry your pocket!! well YES

Auto drivers here are criminals and do dry your pocket the moment they find you are not from chennai!

Take the staringht road from Poonamallee to Central.
the route comprises of the following amin areas for ur reference
poonamallee-->Koyambedu-->Anna Arch-->Ega junction-->Nehru park jn.-->Dasaprakash jn. -->Daily thanthi (DHINA THANTHI Jn.)-->Periamet Rippon Building Jn.-->Central Jn.

I too feel you should stick to the original plann given the fact you dont know tamil.

Enroute to chennai you will get these tollgate tickets keep them safely
you will need them when a cop asks you ! Nowadays other state vehicles are checked in and around central. I dont know why but these guys ask for proof of travel ! It happened to my bike as it is orissa registered!!
many friends using other state vehicles have also faced same!

Also keep xerox of all papers including license! never show the originals to a TN cop !!!! BEWARE!!!! He will take it and demand money!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks