Team-BHP - Planning Delhi-Vaishno Devi. Please Suggest route Other destinations
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Planning Delhi-Vaishno Devi. Please Suggest route Other destinations (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/50700-planning-delhi-vaishno-devi-please-suggest-route-other-destinations.html)

Dear Bhpians,

I am returning to India in last week of December & planned a second long road trip with my 1 year old Fiesta Diesel.

Wife wants to visit Vaishno Devi, I suggested we should visit places around as well, which she gladly agreed.

So now question is what to see around vaishno devi, we have 4 days time. Himachal could be a good option, she wants to feel snow. But we have max 4 days to travel.

Suggestions required for best route from Delhi-Katra & after darshan what to see.

Arun

wake up guys, I need info on places around. what can be covered in 4 days around katra. accomodation possibilities.

One thing do we need any kind of antifreeze for windshield washer bottle. I guess coolant already act as antifreeze.

Quote:

Wife wants to visit Vaishno Devi, I suggested we should visit places around as well, which she gladly agreed.

So now question is what to see around vaishno devi, we have 4 days time. Himachal could be a good option, she wants to feel snow. But we have max 4 days to travel.
Hi Arun... it would be better you explore places around vaishno devi/jammu, keeping in mind your tight schedule. You can always goto Kud/Patnitop which is almost 3hrs drive from Katra/4hrs from Jammu... maybe if you are lucky, you may find heavy snow around that time. The place is really awesome to visit!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunforu1 (Post 1094634)
wake up guys, I need info on places around. what can be covered in 4 days around katra. accomodation possibilities.

One thing do we need any kind of antifreeze for windshield washer bottle. I guess coolant already act as antifreeze.

No need for anti freeze for windshield washer... Also, Himachal will be off the way for you... you can also visit Jammu city temples, and Mansar lake which is almost 50kms from Jammu. Mansar lake is located 15kms off Delhi Jammu National highway, 30kms before Jammu, and Patnitop is on the Jammu Srinagar national highway. You can find many hotels in Patnitop/Kud. Natha top is also a good place to visit, it's 10kms from Patnitop. It will be full of snow this time too!!

Thanks asethi, patnitop was already in mind. I am searching net for natha top & other places you mentioned. Driving far is not a problem, I am actually going just for the sake of long drive. I keep on doing cross country trips. But J&K would be unexplored territory for me.

Thanks again mate.

I dont think "max 4 days" will leave you any time for anything else except maybe Patnitop. The 10 hour drive from Delhi - Jammu itself is very tiring. Then from Jammu to Katra about 2hours, plus another 10 hours (minimum) for walking up and down from Mata's Temple leaves you without any energy. Then dont forget you have to drive again back to delhi.
That leaves you with just one day and in my suggestion Patnitop is a good place to visit in that day. HP will be a detour from Pathankot and you will require 2 days for that.
Route from Delhi is, DELHI - SONIPAT - PANIPAT - KARNAL - AMBALA (follow blue sign boards and take left for Ludhiana, if you go straight you will reach Chandigarh) AMBALA - LUDHIANA - JALANDHAR (In jalandhar city take 2nd circle right for pathankot) JALANDHAR - PATHANKOT - JAMMU

My cousin and I did this once, our itenary was
1. 2300 hrs friday start Delhi for Jammu.
2. Arrive jammu at 0800 hrs Saturday and leave for Katra 1500hrs. Start Mata's temple climb at 1800hrs
3. Reach Katra after Darshan 0400hrs Sunday. Arrive Jammu at 0800 hrs. Leave for Delhi 1500hrs.
4. Monday 0400hrs arrive delhi

I will admit this was not the right thing to do as we were very very tired at the end of the whole trip. So I suggest if you just have 4 Days leave it only till Vaishno Devi and forget any other place except maybe Patnitop.

Just a suggestion- Before entering the J&K border there is a very nice resort by the canal(forgot the name) stop there for a meal, you and ur wife will love it

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1095897)
I dont think "max 4 days" will leave you any time for anything else except maybe Patnitop. The 10 hour drive from Delhi - Jammu itself is very tiring. Then from Jammu to Katra about 2hours, plus another 10 hours (minimum) for walking up and down from Mata's Temple leaves you without any energy. Then dont forget you have to drive again back to delhi.

thanks deky for suggestion, I plan to hire a pony for darshan, as it would be too dangerous to drive after foot tracking to temple & back. I ll be needing additional 24 hours for fatigue recovery. I ll try to stretch for 2 more days additional, if possible.

Thanks again deky for route information. I ll keep in mind to follow Ludhiana after Ambala.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1095931)
Just a suggestion- Before entering the J&K border there is a very nice resort by the canal(forgot the name) stop there for a meal, you and ur wife will love it

Thanks mate, I am planning to stetch it for additional 2 days. you are right it would be too tight a schedule.

The place is called madhopur. Its a good place to have a tea break. :-)

Also natha top is jst a small peak near patnitop. Take left turn from the patnitop junction on the highway for natha top.

thanks asethi and deky for your suggestions.

i ll visit natha top....sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunforu1 (Post 1095928)
thanks deky for suggestion, I plan to hire a pony for darshan, as it would be too dangerous to drive after foot tracking to temple & back. I ll be needing additional 24 hours for fatigue recovery. I ll try to stretch for 2 more days additional, if possible.

Thanks again deky for route information. I ll keep in mind to follow Ludhiana after Ambala.

Thanks mate, I am planning to stetch it for additional 2 days. you are right it would be too tight a schedule.

ohhh no!!! pls dont take ponies on your downward journey, it will spoil your back. specially in the winters with ice on the hills the ponies are very unstable coming down, its better to walk or take the electric car

If you have 2 more days, then you can also think about going to Dalhousie. Its about 80kms (3hrs drive) from Pathankot

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1096774)
ohhh no!!! pls dont take ponies on your downward journey, it will spoil your back. specially in the winters with ice on the hills the ponies are very unstable coming down, its better to walk or take the electric car

If you have 2 more days, then you can also think about going to Dalhousie. Its about 80kms (3hrs drive) from Pathankot

For Dalhousie, you can get details from my travelogue :)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-khajjiar.html

It's a fabulous place, especially Khajjiar!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1096774)

Is there an electric car in Vaisho Devi now ? If so, do they go halfway or all the way to the top ?

you can take helicopter too,costs around 2.5k

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadude (Post 1097193)
Is there an electric car in Vaisho Devi now ? If so, do they go halfway or all the way to the top ?

The car is available half way... from adhkuwari (new route) to bhawan... but mostly they give permissions to only elderly and sick people. We tried to get the ticket last time, but were declined the permission to do so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asethi (Post 1097324)
The car is available half way... from adhkuwari (new route) to bhawan... but mostly they give permissions to only elderly and sick people. We tried to get the ticket last time, but were declined the permission to do so.

Yes i know they have electric 3 wheelers, last time I went with my parents we used them for return journey, but its half way down only and operates on new route.

Thanks folks.