Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 13:49   #781
BHPian

Re: Transit Accomodation in Gundlupet

Thx for the responses. Wanted to pick up my brother at Calicut and driven down south to Tiruvalla. Hence Wanted to break the journey .

Does the forest road close at 9:00PM or 6:00PM now?
I had read that its closed at 6:00PM? Is it enough if we reach the gates before 6:00PM?

Will there be mist in the Wayand Ghats section at this time of the yr in the night - will driving be easy?
Old 14th December 2011, 15:19   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripg View Post
Thx for the responses. Wanted to pick up my brother at Calicut and driven down south to Tiruvalla. Hence Wanted to break the journey .

I had read that its closed at 6:00PM? Is it enough if we reach the gates before 6:00PM?

Will there be mist in the Wayand Ghats section at this time of the yr in the night - will driving be easy?
The closing time is still 9PM, they haven't yet implemented to 6PM proposal.

Mist is quite common in the Thamarassery Ghat section (even during daytime sometimes). Driving isn't impossible, but it would slow you down since visibility would be severely restricted. But then even in normal conditions you can't see further than 50 or 100 meters because of the curves, so average speed you can maintain in that section is quite low anyway.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:22   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 6pm closure time has not yet been implemented.It still closes only at 9pm.If you are able to reach the gates by 7-730pm,you should be easily ok.Beyond that would be touch & go.Yes expect fog on the ghats as temperatures have dipped in kerala.Not a great idea driving the ghats in the night if you are not a regular ghat driver-IMHO.
Old 15th December 2011, 07:59   #784
BHPian

>I hope you are driving via Thoppekkad, gudalur Nilambur, edavanna, Mavoor, Calicut
I was thinking of taking the Gundalpet - Bathery route. Is the Gudalur, Nilambur route the better option?
Old 15th December 2011, 11:09   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
>I hope you are driving via Thoppekkad, gudalur Nilambur, edavanna, Mavoor, Calicut
I was thinking of taking the Gundalpet - Bathery route. Is the Gudalur, Nilambur route the better option?
Yes the Nilambur route is a much better option now a days to Kozhikode.The Bathery route is not in the best of shapes and the ghats are also potholed at many sections.Nilambur route is a reccomended one.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:59   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly yes. Road repair works are about to commence on Ghat roads, and infact there are traffic restrictions too even for cars for a month.

Also, try this route: Take right at Edavananna over the bridge. Not after the edavanna town, that leads to Areacode.. Drive all the way till Mavoor and then drive into town. By far, the best road ( both in terms of time, distance and road condition) to Calicut.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:01   #787
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes the Nilambur route is a much better option now a days to Kozhikode.The Bathery route is not in the best of shapes and the ghats are also potholed at many sections.Nilambur route is a reccomended one.
Nilambur is a better option as Ranjit said. It also may be a good place to break. But then, you need to be in Nilambur before the gates close.
May be you can start earlier from Bangalore and time to reach Nilambur by 6/7 PM, I think there are lodges in Nilmabur town.

You can then plan an early morning start, pick your brother from Calicut and continue.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:19   #788
Senior - BHPian

If you intend to go via Gudalur & Nilambur, you could think of staying at Hotel Haridagiri at Thorapally, the rooms used to be decent and remember paying around 700 for a triple bed room a year or so back not sure on the current rates though. Give a try at 04262 263120 or 9442674194, the hotel is right after the forest check post at Thorapally. This could also give you an added advantage of looking out for some good road side sightings while traversing the forest, if that is of interest to you.
Old 17th December 2011, 18:44   #789
BHPian

Mangalore - Beach Resorts?

Friends,

I'm planning for a trip to Mangalore this year-end (30th Dec to 2nd Jan 2012) with my friends - around 8 bachelors. well, you get the purpose of this trip right

Please suggest any accomodation (resorts/hotels/home stays etc) which is safe, close to the beach with not-so-heavy on pocket in MLR for a 3 days stay from 31st Dec 2011 to 2nd Jan 2012.

Budget would be around 1.5K for two nights (per head).

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:32   #790
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thread on Accomodation & Rates?

Guys,

I will be visiting Cochin next week for 3 days, please suggest a decent accommodation.(3-5k)
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:54   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Guys,

I will be visiting Cochin next week for 3 days, please suggest a decent accommodation.(3-5k)
Do you have any location preference? Usually you can find decent accommodation at 2.5-3k itself but new year may be an exception.

In city, you may check these:

Abad Plaza - M G Road
Avenue Regent - M G Road
Harbor View - Ravipuram (M G Road)
Grand Hotel - M G Road
Gokulam Park Inn - Kaloor
Pride Hotel - Vyttila
Renaissance - Palarivattom
Presidency - Near town railway station (ERN)
Pearly Continental - Behind town railway station
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:45   #792
BHPian

Re: Mangalore - Beach Resorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Friends,

I'm planning for a trip to Mangalore this year-end (30th Dec to 2nd Jan 2012) with my friends - around 8 bachelors. well, you get the purpose of this trip right

Please suggest any accomodation (resorts/hotels/home stays etc) which is safe, close to the beach with not-so-heavy on pocket in MLR for a 3 days stay from 31st Dec 2011 to 2nd Jan 2012.

Budget would be around 1.5K for two nights (per head).

Thanks in advance
You can try 'Suraj Residency' or 'Sea Rock' on NH17 near to suratkal.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:37   #793
Senior - BHPian

I need accommodation for family in Perinthalmanna, Kerala for a few days. Any recommendations?
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:11   #794
BHPian

Re: Mangalore - Beach Resorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
You can try 'Suraj Residency' or 'Sea Rock' on NH17 near to suratkal.
@JMaruru - Thanks a lot for the info
Its 'Red Rock', I believe. (Couldnt find SeaRock hotel while googling but got this in Surathkal)
I have asked both the hotels for a quote (Suraj Internation & Red Rock)
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:29   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I need accommodation for family in Perinthalmanna, Kerala for a few days. Any recommendations?
Hotel Mahendrapuri between Perinthalamanna and Malappuram will be the best choice, I guess !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks