Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2008, 16:21   #1
BHPian

Driving in and out of Bangalore - route suggestions required

I will be driving down from Chennai to Bangy on 24 Dec. Planning to leave Chennai by 7.00 AM and have to reach my Brother's place in Whitefiled - he said it is on ITBP road. What is the best route to reach Whitefield if I approach from Hosur?

Again on 25 Dec, I will be leaving Bangy at 7.00 AM to drive to Wayanad. Which would be the best route to take? Is it necessary to go through Mysore or can I skip Mysore and save some time / distance?
Old 19th December 2008, 16:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
I will be driving down from Chennai to Bangy on 24 Dec. Planning to leave Chennai by 7.00 AM and have to reach my Brother's place in Whitefiled - he said it is on ITBP road. What is the best route to reach Whitefield if I approach from Hosur?
There are 2 routes IIRC to reach Whitefield from E-City. Your best bet is to drive to Silkboard and take a right on the ring road to reach Whitefield.

Quote:
Again on 25 Dec, I will be leaving Bangy at 7.00 AM to drive to Wayanad. Which would be the best route to take? Is it necessary to go through Mysore or can I skip Mysore and save some time / distance?
You aint skipping Mysore in anyways, if you start at 7:00am from bangy you could be in Mysore at 10:00 am. Before you enter Mysore City ,after Srirangapattana you reach the Mysore Ring Road. Take a right at the signal and follow the ring road, it will take you straight to the Mysore Ooty Road. This is the same road which leads to Gundlupet which is enroute your destination.
You gotto take this route to reach Wayanad.

Mysore--Nanjangud--Gundlupet(take a right at the sales tax checkpost)-- Muthanga--Sulthan Bathery--Meenangadi--Kalpetta.

Roads are pretty well marked and shouldnt be a problem. Where do you plan to stay in Wayanad ?
Old 19th December 2008, 17:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Roads are pretty well marked and shouldnt be a problem. Where do you plan to stay in Wayanad ?
Thanks for the info. At Wayanad I have booked at Wynberg Resorts. Couldn't manage any of the Homestays though they seem to be less expensive and better in terms of user experience
Old 19th December 2008, 17:21   #4
BANNED

Best route to Whitefield from Hosur:

Exactly 1.3 km after TN-KA border, turn right at Attibele Junction.
Continue straight on this road until you reach a circle (Sarjapura Police Station on your LHS).
Turn left at this circle and continue till you see a BP bunk on your left and a 4-road intersection.
Turn right at this intersection - this will lead you to Varthur Lake.
Keep straight and you're in Whitefield.
Old 19th December 2008, 17:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

The easiest and fastest way to reach Whitefield is through Sarjapur.

After you cross the Karnataka border (some kms from Hosur) you will reach Attibele. This place is marked by a big flyover construction and mad traffic. Take a right here. This road leads straight to Sarjapur. Once you enter Sarjapur town take a left in the junction. Landmark is the Sarjapur polic station on your left before the junction.

Drive on for a few kms. There are a couple of bad speed breakers here but you should be ok. You will see a BP bunk just before a junction. Take the right in this junction. This leads to Varthur. Drive through Varthur and across the Varthur lake and you will hit Whitefield.

This is the fastest way to reach Whitefield. 45 minutes will be the max time to hit Whitefield from Attibele.

I am assuming you are leaving Bangalore from Whitefield. Just take the straight road towards Marthahalli - Old HAL Airport - Domlur - Lifestyle junction - keep left of the Richmond Circle flyover - go straight at the signal below the flyover - Hudson Circle - go straight and take a right towards Mysore road. There are signboards or you can ask someone. Go up the long flyover and keep going straight and you are on your way to Mysore.

My advice would be to take left at the same signal that rjstyle mentioned before Mysore. The right side ring road is sooooo longgggg :-)

The only problem with the left side bypass is you have to take a right and then a left which you will have to enquire or see the boards that are there. But this will get you to the other side of town within 15 minutes max. Your choice to make. Its not as tough as it sounds.
Old 19th December 2008, 17:25   #6
BHPian

GO thru the Mysore city

Since you are going to Wayanad on 25th Dec, you can very well go inside the city. Follow the sign to reach the Mysore Palace from outside until you see signboard for Ooty / Calicut and continue following them.

Please make sure you take a right at Gundlupet to reach Wayanad. Drive slow when you are inside the Bandipur / Muthanga Santuary.
Old 19th December 2008, 17:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well to reach WHitefield, Hrag & csentil has already given the explanation. never ever think of Silk board, you will loose another 2 hours. Once you cross the KA-TN border take the first avaialble right turn amidst the flyover constructions and keep opn driving straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
My advice would be to take left at the same signal that rjstyle mentioned before Mysore. The right side ring road is sooooo longgggg :-)
Well my advice is to always take the Mysore City, it is fast. THere are directions for ooty, keep on following you are out of the city.

Abhi
Old 19th December 2008, 18:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. At Wayanad I have booked at Wynberg Resorts. Couldn't manage any of the Homestays though they seem to be less expensive and better in terms of user experience
Lemme just guide you to the place.

Reach Sultan Bathery and follow the road towards Meenangadi, from there on keep a watch for a place called Kaakavayal, at Kaakavayal take a left and the road from there takes you Thrikkepetta where the resort is.

Happy tripping !!
Old 19th December 2008, 19:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Lemme just guide you to the place.

Reach Sultan Bathery and follow the road towards Meenangadi, from there on keep a watch for a place called Kaakavayal, at Kaakavayal take a left and the road from there takes you Thrikkepetta where the resort is.

Happy tripping !!
Next hvkumar in the making? Only distances are missing.
Old 19th December 2008, 22:01   #10
BHPian

All, Thanks for the guidance. With so many resourcefull BHPians around, I don't think I will ever waste my Money on a GPS.
Old 21st December 2008, 01:16   #11
BHPian

Hi friends,

Needed your comments on followinglease:
I wanted to do the following trip with family.
Bangalore-Dharmasthala-Udupi-Maravanthe Beach (stay for 2 days)-Murudeshwar-Gokarna-Hubli(native)-Bangalore.

Have 5 days.
We are thinking of leaving the bangalore by 4:00AM, 25-DEC.

Any advice? We wanted to stay near Maravanthe beach for a leisure holiday. Any good, calm resorts near Maravanthe beach?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st December 2008, 08:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Plan you start in such a way that you reach Neelamangala by 5:30AM. After that till Hassan it will be virtually traffic free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
Any advice? We wanted to stay near Maravanthe beach for a leisure holiday. Any good, calm resorts near Maravanthe beach?

Thanks in advance.
You can book Turtle bay resort at Maravanthe. It is about 12-13km from Kundapur BP.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 21st December 2008 at 08:41.
Old 21st December 2008, 08:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Next hvkumar in the making? Only distances are missing.
Thats my place and how could I not guide someone there .Do we really care for the distance Vikram ?
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:51   #14

Mysore to Ooty (via Masinagudi)

Hi

I am visiting Mysore (from Chennai) for a meeting and wanted to take a day off at Masinagudi.

While I am fine with the Chennai - Mysore sector, i am told that the Mysore to Masinagudi road is in shambles.

Can anyone advice me on the conditions of these roads, especially since i plan to drive my family on my Civic.

Thanks in advance

Rajan
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

No the road is not in shambles. Mysore - Nanjangud is in ok condition. Meaning you will have potholes here and there but nothing great to worry about. There is one small patch which used to be bad but dunno if its still the case. Nanjangud - Gundulpet is neat. Not many issues.

Gundulpet to Bandipur forest entrance is the bad sector. Its around 15 kms or so of bad roads. Once you cross into Bandipur forest the road conditions improve dramatically. You will have a nice drive till Theppakadu (Mudumalai sanctuary entrance).

Theppakadu - Masinagudi road is single lane. Watch out for mad jeeps trying to get you down from the road.

I did this route in my Civic a year back so conditions could have changed, however I got pretty recent updates that the conditions are the same and the Gundulpet - Bandipur sector sucks !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks