Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2020, 10:40   #181
BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Thanks! Did you connect any other places en-route?
Our original plan was to explore/stay at one of the chettinad heritage area. Hence I took the karaikudi route. Visited couple of heritage hotels at Kadayaptti and Kanadukathan. Just had lunch and proceed to rameshwaram due to change of plans. It was amazing to see those magnificent houses built almost 100 years back. There are many excellent travelogues in the travelogues section that will give you lot more information about this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
My itinerary in Rameshwaram includes the temple, Dhanushkodi beach and Sir Abdul Kalam's memorial. Since you visited this place recently, do you have any inputs that would help me to plan better.
My itinerary was exactly same and in the same order. Evening I went to the temple (generally the crowd is less in the evening I heard) and next day morning we went to Dhanushkodi (left the hotel at 6 am and we had wait at the check point @ 9.199091, 79.382013 for 30 minutes) and visited the memorial on the way back home. HTH.
Old 7th October 2021, 10:21   #182
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Guys, driving to Rameswaram this Friday, which route to take?

Route 1: Chennai - Trichy - Pudukottai - Karaikudi - Devipatnam - Rameswaram

Or

Route 2: Chennai - Trichy - Melur - Sivagangai - Paramakudi - Rameswaram

I've been taking Route 2 for several years now, has Route 1 gotten better nowadays?
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 10:33   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Or

I've been taking Route 2 for several years now, has Route 1 gotten better nowadays?
I've completed the trip last week. We went to our relatives house in Manamadurai and started to Rameshwaram & Dhanushkodi trip from there. The route was paramakudi (bypass), Ramanathapuram (bypass) and Rameshwaram. Roads are excellent all the way to Rameshwaram and very less traffic.

Please note that there is an RT-PCR test will be conducted while entering into Rameswaram, be prepared for that. If not vaccinated, they'll redirect you to the vaccination camp setup nearby check-post.

The below route is excellent , less traffic and saves time and fuel,

Chennai-Trichy-Pudukottai-Manamadurai-Paramakudi-Rameswaram. Proper sign boards all the way.

Last edited by Jebs : 7th October 2021 at 10:34. Reason: additonal info
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 12:03   #184
BHPian

Quote:

Or

If any of you planning this trip, stick to route 2, route 1 is not in good shape and is detoriating, has a lot of people movement as well.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 22:01   #185
BHPian

Quote:
If any of you planning this trip, stick to route 2, route 1 is not in good shape and is detoriating, has a lot of people movement as well.
Is there any RT PCR test taken for visitors. Planning Rameswaram and Danuskodi Christmas weekend
Old 13th December 2021, 07:48   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Is there any RT PCR test taken for visitors. Planning Rameswaram and Danuskodi Christmas weekend
No. However, Temple was closed for devotees on Saturdays and Sundays. Not sure if the restrictions have been lifted now.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 08:55   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Temple was closed for devotees on Saturdays and Sundays. Not sure if the restrictions have been lifted now.
All TN temples are open from 1st November onwards. The 22 wells are closed since Covid started, which stays put.
Old 8th August 2022, 19:21   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Is this the same situation even now ? Planning a trip to Rameswaram from Chennai and the second route shows about 40KM and 45 minutes extra compared to the first route

Or

Old 8th August 2022, 19:31   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Is this the same situation even now ? Planning a trip to Rameswaram from Chennai and the second route shows about 40KM and 45 minutes extra compared to the first route

Or

Stick to route 2 for a pleasurable driving and travel experience. I would not recommend route 1 at all for both up and down journey.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:31   #190
BHPian

Just completed my Chennai-Rameswaram trip and below are the updates.
Since we had to meet someone at Karaikudi, decided to take that route onward and it turned out to be a wise decision. Karaikudi -Rameswaram stretch is completely re-laid with no pot holes. There is bridge construction happening in couple of places but that did not make any significant impact and the traffic also was minimal (probably being a holiday). Trichy to Karaikudi also had decent roads though the entire stretch has only 2 lanes. I am not sure if the Melur-Sivagangai route is 4 lanes but I think it would not have saved me any time or fuel because of the extra distance (about 40KMs). So decided to take the same route for return and it was a smooth journey which took about 3 hours (including a tea break) from Rameswaram to Trichy. Sharing some dashcam footages for those interested

Old 23rd August 2022, 22:19   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Karaikudi -Rameswaram stretch is completely re-laid with no pot holes.
Beautiful! So the CK Mangalam-Devipattinam road expansion is completed too. I went in Vijayadasami of 2018, back then this section was still being expanded. Took 3:45 hrs back then.

This entire stretch is a far cry from what it used to be in the early part of millennium (Jan 2003), when the Trichy-Rameswaram journey took 7 hours

Most Viewed