Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2012, 21:53   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking

Did the following route in end March.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India to Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

The condition of the roads was excellent. It was four-lane till Melur. You can simply cruise.

Beyond Melur also the roads are good, though they are single carriageway type. No dividers.
Did you take Singampunari - Tirupattur road or Singampunari - Melur - Tirupattur? I know Melur - Tirupattur road is moderately good but no clue about Singampunari - Tirupattur. And what was the driving time between Trichy and Ramanathapuram? I believe it might have taken 3 hrs atleast.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 10:10   #92
BHPian

re: Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Did you take Singampunari - Tirupattur road or Singampunari - Melur - Tirupattur? I know Melur - Tirupattur road is moderately good but no clue about Singampunari - Tirupattur. And what was the driving time between Trichy and Ramanathapuram? I believe it might have taken 3 hrs atleast.

Many thanks.

I stand corrected. The route given by me earlier was wrong. The correct route is given below: -

You are right about time taken also. Four hours it took me. Relaxed driving it was.
Old 7th April 2012, 11:10   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Many thanks.

I stand corrected. The route given by me earlier was wrong. The correct route is given below: -

You are right about time taken also. Four hours it took me. Relaxed driving it was.
Just back from the trip. Took the above route in the return. Was the best route by all means, good roads, shortest timing, minimal traffic. Took just 7 1/2 hours from Rameshwaram to Adyar in Chennai including 2 breaks (45 mins). So practical running time was 6 3/4 hours.

While going to Rameshwaram took the ECR route. It was ok till Pondi. And Pondi to Karaikal was difficult, not that the roads were bad, just that there is so much of inter town traffic. Its like driving on the city suburbs for 3 hours. After Nagapattinam, the road was really good. Took 9 1/2 hours while going including 3 breaks (1 hour). So, took 8 1/2 hours in total. Will write a travelogue in that section.

Last edited by Archish : 7th April 2012 at 11:28.
Archish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 15:46   #94
Team-BHP Support

Maybe the best option then would be to take four lane till pondycherry or beyond and then shift to ECR.

That way we get the best if everything.
Chennai-Tindivanam-Sirkazhi and then ECR.

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2012 at 15:47.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 18:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Maybe the best option then would be to take four lane till pondycherry or beyond and then shift to ECR.

That way we get the best if everything.
Chennai-Tindivanam-Sirkazhi and then ECR.
Chennai to Pondy is not the problem mate. Pondy to Sirkazhi is the thorn in the leg. Chennai to Pondy is good, atleast for me, I am in Adyar and I can be on the ECR in just 8 - 10 mins from my home.
Old 7th April 2012, 19:38   #96
BHPian

How is the Chennai - Pondy ECR now? The last time when I went, the road surface was not as smooth as it used to be a few years back.

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 7th April 2012 at 19:43.
Old 7th April 2012, 20:35   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish

Chennai to Pondy is not the problem mate. Pondy to Sirkazhi is the thorn in the leg. Chennai to Pondy is good, atleast for me, I am in Adyar and I can be on the ECR in just 8 - 10 mins from my home.
Thats what even I was trying to get at. If anyway we can avoid the crazy Pondy-Sirkazhi traffic it would be good. But there is no easy way today.

@Harsh ECR is very good between. Hennai and Pondy but for the rash driving which people do. Would anyday prefer the four lane via Tindivanam.
Old 8th April 2012, 00:43   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
I am doing Blore- Rameshwaram this week . Planning on taking the Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Madurai route. I am not sure of the roads after Karur, Is there a better shorter route?
I dont mind doing longer routes like the one I have planned on since they are majority expressways which I prefer. And also any idea of the distance from Salem to Rameshwaram.
Old 8th April 2012, 01:36   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian
Hello,
I am doing Blore- Rameshwaram this week . Planning on taking the Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Madurai route. I am not sure of the roads after Karur, Is there a better shorter route?
I dont mind doing longer routes like the one I have planned on since they are majority expressways which I prefer. And also any idea of the distance from Salem to Rameshwaram.
The route is Bangalore - Krishnagiri - karur - Dindigul - Madurai - Ramanathapuram - Rameswaram. Bangalore to Madurai is a 4L highway. Madurai - Ramanathapuram - Rameshwaram is a 2L national highway but roads are good.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 09:37   #100
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
And also any idea of the distance from Salem to Rameshwaram.
Salem to Rameswaram measures 400 km. The route details are here.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 15:02   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
Even the route through Natham is a good alternative, avoiding the Madurai roundabout. Salem-Dindigul Town-Natham - NH45A- Melur-Sivanganga-Ilayankudi-Paramakudi-Ramnad-Rameswaram
Old 8th April 2012, 16:50   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Even the route through Natham is a good alternative, avoiding the Madurai roundabout.
Salem-Dindigul Town-Natham - NH45A- Melur-Sivanganga-Ilayankudi-Paramakudi-Ramnad-Rameswaram

Quote:
Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
The route is Bangalore - Krishnagiri - karur - Dindigul - Madurai - Ramanathapuram - Rameswaram. Bangalore to Madurai is a 4L highway. Madurai - Ramanathapuram - Rameshwaram is a 2L national highway but roads are good.

@Ramanan, Totally agree to your point. Natham is a vey good option.

One just needs to find the Natham road and venture into Dindugul town.

Dindigul-Natham-Melur-Sivagangai-Ilayangudi-Paramagudi-Rameshwaram.
Dindigul Natham is very good. But not sure of Natham-Melur.
However Natham road from Dindigul is mainly for Karaikudi and is in good condition and which cuts the 4L 45B via Tiruppathur.

Route : link

Last edited by ampere : 8th April 2012 at 17:13.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:37   #103
BHPian

Back from Chennai-Rameswaram trip yesterday. Before I post the route details, I would like to thank Ampere, Gopikb, Harshavarathan and narayan80, for contributing a lot of valuable information on this thread.

Coming to the trip details -I chose the below route as suggested by Harsh, the last time when I did this trip I took the route menioned in the first post of this thread.

Chennai - Trichy - Melur - Sivaganga - Illayangudi - Paramakudi - Ramnad - Rameswaram

The roads were good throughout barring a couple of small stretches. There was no proper eatery anywhere after crossing Trichy, so plan a break in Trichy.

P.S: The condition of country roads from Melur could change quickly due to various reasons, so please check the latest updates on each route before choosing a route.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:02   #104
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the route info. Was back last night and what a drive it was.
Expressway all the way to just few kms from Madurai and from Madurai lovely single lane roads to Rameshwaram.
I did not experience one bad stretch and could keep a constant 90-100 kmh on the single lane roads.
Took a total of 9 hrs out of which 8 hours driving . Traffic was very low as well.
Realized there are lot of places that can be reached from Madurai like Kodai, Palani, Pollachi so kept that for the next trip!
Old 11th April 2012, 12:29   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Just back from the trip. Took the above route in the return. Was the best route by all means, good roads, shortest timing, minimal traffic. Took just 7 1/2 hours from Rameshwaram to Adyar in Chennai including 2 breaks (45 mins). So practical running time was 6 3/4 hours.
6hr 45 mins of driving time is incredible. I was thinking it may take around 9 hrs. Google maps shows 588 kms from Chennai- Rameshwaram. How much was your odo showing? Your update has given idea for me to drive down from Chennai.

Also, how much was the tax charged for entering Rameshwaram?. Had read varied amounts on that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks