Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2008, 12:46   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning to go to Rameswaram from Chennai in Jan 2009. The route I got was

Chennai - Trichy - Karaikudi - Devakottai - Ramnad - Mandapam - Rameswaram.

Is this is the best route and are the road conditions good for a fully loaded(5 pax).M800.
Also Can you guys suggest a place to stay at Rameshwaram. Thanks for help.
Old 25th December 2008, 15:06   #2
BHPian

This is the shortest route you can take to reach Rameshwaram.

You must be already aware of the road works in the Chennai - Trichy stretch. After Devakottai the roads are narrow and expect some rash driving by the private local buses. Also when you enter and exit small towns after Karaikudi just be extra cautious as the roads again are really narrow.
Old 25th December 2008, 15:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Karaikudi -> Ramnad stretch can be treacherous at times. Some of the pavement has been four laned as part of the ECR and those stretches are an absolute blast to drive on. But there are some major diversions in parts with no pavement at all. Be careful.

Ramnad -> Rameswaram was fine (albeit narrow) the last time I went through.
Old 26th December 2008, 00:26   #4
BHPian

Hotel Tamilnadu (cottage near sea shore) and Hotel Royal Court are decent ones. But no room services and attached restaurant in cottage type rooms. You have to walk to the main hotel for food. Hotel Royal court is a new hotel and fully equipped.

And about roads between trichy and ramanathapuram, out of total 180kms around 30 kms are very bad and the rest is oh k. It usually takes 3 to 3 1/2 hrs for me in my santro. In 800 you can make it in 4 hrs at the most. ramanathapuram to rameswaram is 56 kms and may take one hr and 15 min.

There are two right turns that you may miss between pudukottai and karaikudi. So keep inquiring often to confirm if you are on the right direction.

Regards
Harsha
Old 27th December 2008, 22:40   #5
BHPian

Thank you Harsha, Immortalz & Mission_Safari.

Since I am travelling with my family, I will never exceed 70 - 80 kmph. My father feels unsecure if I speed and will not agree to travel in car again for highway trips if I dont listen to him and do speeds.

Only one question, is hotel tamilnadu belongs TTDC group or its just the name Hotel Tamilnadu.

Cheers, Anantha
Old 29th December 2008, 23:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Thank you Harsha, Immortalz & Mission_Safari.

Since I am travelling with my family, I will never exceed 70 - 80 kmph. My father feels unsecure if I speed and will not agree to travel in car again for highway trips if I dont listen to him and do speeds.

Only one question, is hotel tamilnadu belongs TTDC group or its just the name Hotel Tamilnadu.

Cheers, Anantha
Yes. Its TTDC group. Went there this saturday. Rooms are oh k. Seems like they have modified the rooms within last few months.
Old 4th January 2009, 17:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Other option- (hvk has shared once)

Madras-Trichy-Madurai-Aruppukottai-Ramanathapuram-Rameswaram.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:57   #8
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to go to Rameshwaram next weekend. Any updates on the route to take. Plan to start before 6 AM from Chennai. can I make it there before Sundown?
Old 7th August 2009, 13:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Hi,

Planning to go to Rameshwaram next weekend. Any updates on the route to take. Plan to start before 6 AM from Chennai. can I make it there before Sundown?
Sure you can make it. Take the route via trichy, pudukottai, karaikudi, and ramanathapuram.

Chennai to Trichy might take around 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hrs depending on the traffic. Trichy to Rameswaram will take another 4 to 5 hrs depending on your speed. About 20-30 kms of road are a little bad between pudukottai and ramanathapuram.
Old 7th August 2009, 13:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Hi,

yes. And try to see if you can start around 4 or 5. it would be a breeze to drive in that empty traffic
Old 15th September 2011, 11:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Those who are planning for Rameswaram and south Tamilnadu take cautious measures of some roubles here and there. The areas to be more cautious are All the stretch from Madurai till Rameswaram/ Rameswaram to Tiruchendur also affected,If you are coming from Kurtallam to Madurai be cautious in and around Rajapalayam.There may be stone throwing by some groups due to the unrest in Paramakudi near Ramnad.
Old 16th December 2011, 13:33   #12
BHPian

Dear All, I am driving from Chennai to Rameswaram on 27-Dec-2011. Due to other appointments, I most likely will be able to start from Chennai only around 12.00 Noon. I read through multiple travelogues and looks like the best route is as below

Chennai -> Trichy ->Melur ->Sivaganga ->Manamadurai ->Paramagudi ->Ramnad -> Rameswaram.

If there is any better alternate route, please let me know. Starting at 12.00 Noon, I guess I can just reach Melur before dark. Hence I plan to stop in either Sivaganga or Manamadurai and go from there next morning. Does anybody have information on hotel accomodation in any of these towns?

Thanks for your help.
Old 16th December 2011, 14:33   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Chennai -> Trichy ->Melur ->Sivaganga ->Manamadurai ->Paramagudi ->Ramnad -> Rameswaram.
Gopi,

You know what, drive only till Trichy on the first day and start the next day,
Trichy to Melur is hardly 100km which you can blast through on 4L early morning.

This way, you can also enjoy Trichy temples in the evening, as you would reach by 5 or 6PM.

So the next day the total distance is about 325km, which is OK (out of which 100 is 4L).
The route you mention is the same.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 14:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I read through multiple travelogues and looks like the best route is as below

Any idea why you've chosen the above route? I did this trip exactly an year back. While going towards Rameswaram I took the route mentioned by the OP, barring few stretches the whole route had well laid out roads.

But while coming back, I took the route you've mentioned. Right after crossing Ramnad till reaching outskirts of Trichy, the roads were very bad, and it took quite a lot of time to cover the entire stretch.

I would suggest double check the conditions of roads from Paramagudi to Melur.
Old 16th December 2011, 14:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Gopi,

You know what, drive only till Trichy on the first day and start the next day,
Trichy to Melur is hardly 100km which you can blast through on 4L early morning.

This way, you can also enjoy Trichy temples in the evening, as you would reach by 5 or 6PM.

So the next day the total distance is about 325km, which is OK (out of which 100 is 4L).
The route you mention is the same.
Ampere, Yup. That is a pretty good suggestion. I plan to stay in Rameswaram anyway for a night and hence this plan should work out just fine and I wont tire myself too much considering that the previous day I am driving from Bangalore to Chennai.

Thanks once again Ampere.

Most Viewed