Team-BHP - Time to reclaim my life !!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Time to reclaim my life !!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/51165-time-reclaim-my-life.html)

They say that you need to dream it if you have to do it. I have been having this recurrent dream where I am doing something that makes me feel liberated and at peace with myself, I am driving without a destination in mind and without a care in the world. No deadlines to keep, no meetings to attend, no issues to take care of. The dream on this Sunday night was a little different, I had vivid imaginations of being someplace that I could recognize. I was there standing in front of the Taj, mankind's symbol of eternal love, a monument so pristine that even time has not been able to wither away its charm. I could see myself seeing the majestic tiger in its natural habitat, admiring its sheer grace and wondering if this is what my life has been lacking all this while.

Cut to Monday morning; I had no clue as to what I was doing but here I was standing in front of my manager and telling him that I wanted a long leave. As luck would have had it, my manager had a smile on his face and told me that this being the holiday season and with no work in immediate sight I could have all the leaves that I wanted.

The realization hasn't sunk in yet but the next thing that I did was to open up a map and think up of routes and places that I could go. After a lot of thought, I arrived at the conclusion that these are the places that I've always wanted to go and hence decided that it's now or never.Taking a train journey or a flight seemed like an easy option but my dream dictated that I drive to these places. So here is itinerary that I've drawn up and would like to share with you people.

03/01/09 Bangalore-Pune 840 km
04/01/09 Pune-Aurangabad via Shirur,Ahmadnagar.Visit Ellora,Daulatabad fort 270 km approx
05/01/09 Ellora - Ajanta Visit Ajanta and drive onwards to Harda via Jamner Burhanpur Handana Khandwa 400km
06/01/09 Harda - Sagar 310km approx via Seoni Hoshangabad Obedullaganj Sultanpur Gairatganj
07/01/09 Sagar onwards to Agra 440km approx
08/01/09 Agra onwards to Ranthambore 315km
09/01/09 Ranthambore Safari and drive onwards to Ratlam 480km
10/01/09 Ratlam - Nashik 500km
11/01/09 Nashik - Pune via Mumbai-Pune expressway 300km approx
12/01/09 Pune - Bangalore 840km
13/01/09 Spare Day

This might seem a little crazy but this is what I've always wanted to do. I am seeking advice from you guys regarding anything and everything. It could be routes, timeframes, weather conditions, precautions, vehicle care, stopovers, attractions enroute, any special preparations needed etc.
I will be doing this trip alone and that is intentional. Accompanying me will be my Swift D, my laptop and data card, cellphone, camera, batteries and some bedding. Is there anything specific other than this that nedds to be taken care of. Looking forward to all of your suggestions and inputs!!!

ten day trip alone, thats great enthu.
on 11/1/2009, you will travel nasik to pune via mumbai-pune expressway? i could not get it. can you explain little.

Great itinerary, I would suggest a 2 night halt midway just for RR, as you have mentioned you have a spare day at the end of your trip, use that day to spend extra time at a place where you feel like just staying put.
Regards,
Hari.

Hi, Your post really freaked me out. why? normally one uses a map to find how to get to a place .. here you used it to find a place to go. cheers man. live it up.
advice carry lots of woolies and pain killers. (for your sore a** as u will be sitting on it for 10 days). also suggest a day at goa to reclaim what is left of your life after the trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road (Post 1106411)
They say that you need to dream it if you have to do it. I have been having this recurrent dream where I am doing something that makes me feel liberated and at peace with myself, I am driving without a destination in mind and without a care in the world. No deadlines to keep, no meetings to attend, no issues to take care of.

sounds like a neat idea! Enjoy the drive.

Quote:

05/01/09 Ellora - Ajanta Visit Ajanta and drive onwards to Harda via Jamner Burhanpur Handana Khandwa 400km
06/01/09 Harda - Sagar 310km approx via Seoni Hoshangabad Obedullaganj Sultanpur Gairatganj
07/01/09 Sagar onwards to Agra 440km approx
Why not take NH3 from Indore itself ?

If you want to go through Sagar, then Khandwa-Indore-Bhopal-Sagar might be a better bet.

Taz, this should be on wonderful and a memorable drive for you, i envy you dude:)

According to me keep all the reqd medicines which suits you, i mean for stomach uset or fever etc

Drink lots of fluids....

and yes make sure you have good collection of music:)

have fun!

I use a thumb rule for calculating time and distance. On GQ and similar roads I average 70/80 kmph (I don't drive too fast). On older highways with normal traffic it's 40/50 kmph. On really bad narrow state roads 25/30 kmph.
A few of your estimates look a bit too ambitious to me. But since you are travelling alone it should not be an issue. Be careful about fog in northern India and keep time allowance for that.
Carry everything you think a mechanic might need if you are stuck on the road. Very often you might find a mechanic but not the tools. Clean the wiper blade after every drive through dusty areas.
Have fun and take nice pics for later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker (Post 1106910)
Great itinerary, I would suggest a 2 night halt midway just for RR, as you have mentioned you have a spare day at the end of your trip, use that day to spend extra time at a place where you feel like just staying put.
Regards,
Hari.

Will try to do that. As you are aware of, plans do not work like clockwork hence the spare day.agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by goandude (Post 1106957)
Hi, Your post really freaked me out. why? normally one uses a map to find how to get to a place .. here you used it to find a place to go. cheers man. live it up.
advice carry lots of woolies and pain killers. (for your sore a** as u will be sitting on it for 10 days). also suggest a day at goa to reclaim what is left of your life after the trip.

I like you replyclap: The problem is that I am fed up of being to Goa at every given opportunity, hence thought will give it a miss this time. Thanks for the woolies part though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadude (Post 1106971)
sounds like a neat idea! Enjoy the drive.

Why not take NH3 from Indore itself ?

If you want to go through Sagar, then Khandwa-Indore-Bhopal-Sagar might be a better bet.

Your point taken siragree: I have no clue as to how these places or roads are. Just looked up the map. Now, after your suggestion the route will be Khandwa-Indore-Bhopal-Sagar. Thanks a ton!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1107032)
Taz, this should be on wonderful and a memorable drive for you, i envy you dude:)

According to me keep all the reqd medicines which suits you, i mean for stomach uset or fever etc

Drink lots of fluids....

and yes make sure you have good collection of music:)

have fun!

Thanks a ton Lohith. Will definitely take care of the medicines and music part.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team (Post 1107036)
I use a thumb rule for calculating time and distance. On GQ and similar roads I average 70/80 kmph (I don't drive too fast). On older highways with normal traffic it's 40/50 kmph. On really bad narrow state roads 25/30 kmph.
A few of your estimates look a bit too ambitious to me. But since you are travelling alone it should not be an issue. Be careful about fog in northern India and keep time allowance for that.
Carry everything you think a mechanic might need if you are stuck on the road. Very often you might find a mechanic but not the tools. Clean the wiper blade after every drive through dusty areas.
Have fun and take nice pics for later.

Your thumb rule is pretty realistic. I drive fast and prefer driving through two-laned roads rather than the GQ(Pretty weird I guess!!!) . But will definitely look into your valuable suggestions. After having heard of fog from some of my north Indian friends, have decided that will drive in the day as much as possible even though I love driving in the night. Will definitely keep updating pictures and posts, the lappy is specifically for that purpose:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1106882)
ten day trip alone, thats great enthu.
on 11/1/2009, you will travel nasik to pune via mumbai-pune expressway? i could not get it. can you explain little.

@ashish, after having heard so much about Mumbai-Pune expressway thought that should drive through it once. Hence will take a detour through Thane and join the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Any info on routes in this area is highly appreciatedplease:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road (Post 1107106)

after having heard so much about Mumbai-Pune expressway thought that should drive through it once. Hence will take a detour through Thane and join the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

ohhh, thats the case. enjoy expressway.
i suggest, while going back rather than halting in pune, halt at mahabaleshwar and enjoy your spare day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1107217)
ohhh, thats the case. enjoy expressway.
i suggest, while going back rather than halting in pune, halt at mahabaleshwar and enjoy your spare day.

Great suggestion buddy. Here we go, Mahabaleshwar is added to the itinerary. Thanks!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road (Post 1107106)

Your point taken sir. I have no clue as to how these places or roads are. Just looked up the map. Now, after your suggestion the route will be Khandwa-Indore-Bhopal-Sagar. Thanks a ton!!!

What I meant was, why not take NH3 all the way from Indore. The route would be

Khanwa-Indore-Guna-Gwalior-Agra

If for some reason, you need to visit Sagar then going via Bhopal would be a better bet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadude (Post 1107591)
What I meant was, why not take NH3 all the way from Indore. The route would be

Khanwa-Indore-Guna-Gwalior-Agra

If for some reason, you need to visit Sagar then going via Bhopal would be a better bet.

Yeah, got to meet someone in Sagar and also planning to stay overnight. So will go via Indore-Bhopal to Sagar and drive onwards to Agra the next morning.

As one of my friends will be joining me on the drive, the plan is delayed by a day. This is the final itinerary for this journey:

04/01/09 Bangalore-Pune 840km GQ
05/01/09 Pune-Indore 620km via Nashik,Malegaon,Dhule
06/01/09 Indore-Sagar 366 km via Bhopal
07/01/09 Sagar-Agra 425 km via Jhansi,Gwalior
08/01/09 Agra
09/01/09 Agra-Ajmer 365km
10/01/09 Ajmer-Surat 820km GQ
11/01/09 Surat-Belgaum 740km GQ
12/01/09 Belgaum-Bangalore 500km GQ
13/01/09 Spare Day

Thanks for all the advice and updates guys. Me and my friend are hitting the road to Pune at 4:00 AM IST i.e. in around 2 hrs from now

Day 1 of my sojourn has been successfully completed. Left Bangalore at 5:45 AM in the morning due to inadequate sleep. Reached my friend's place in Akurdi, Pune at exactly 6:10 PM in the evening. Roads were excellent all through except for a few kilometres before and after Ranibennur. Got to hit the bed now. Planning to leave for Bhopal at 4:00 AM in the morning. Shall update the detailed log, photos and road updates later.