Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 10:13   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Slightly Question

Would like to know the average mileage obtained on a drive to Calicut. More interested in mileage obtained from C/C+ segment petrol sedans.

My ride is an SX4 and was curious to calculate roughly how much extra I am spending on petrol compared to other sedans due to the poor mileage of the SX4.

In my last trip I averaged around 12-13.
Old 18th April 2012, 11:05   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would like to know the average mileage obtained on a drive to Calicut. More interested in mileage obtained from C/C+ segment petrol sedans.
Bangalore till Gundelpet, if you try, you can wrench out max FE outta the car. From Gundelpet, if you are lucky, with sparce traffice, you can get max FE. From Bathery, till Calicut, lets say 70% of max FE you will get.
Old 20th April 2012, 11:17   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Bangalore till Gundelpet, if you try, you can wrench out max FE outta the car. From Gundelpet, if you are lucky, with sparce traffice, you can get max FE. From Bathery, till Calicut, lets say 70% of max FE you will get.
What I wanted to check on was how the SX4 Mileage compares with other similar sedans on a Bangalore-Calicut drive. I am ok with the 12-13 I get from the SX4 (I dont think I can expect more from the SX4 ) But was just curious to know the average fellow Bhp'ians driving to Calicut usually get.
Old 20th April 2012, 11:53   #139
SBR
BHPian

Hi,

I will be travelling to Calicut from Bangalore on 28th April, 2012. (Sat)

We will be staying at Kappad Beach Resort.

So, the plan is to start in Bangalore at 5:00 AM on 28th April, 2012.

Route - Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Kalpetta - Calicut. Plan to reach Calicut by lunch time or so.

Return journey - 30th April, 2012 (Mon) - Plan to start at Calicut by 2:00 PM after lunch.

Is starting at 2:00 PM good enough to reach the forest check post at Muthanga before 6:00 PM?

Any other alternate route while coming back to bangalore to avoid traffic?

My Drive: M-800 AC.

Occupants: Me, Wifey & my 3 year old daughter.

Kindly suggest. Much thanks in advance.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:01   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Is starting at 2:00 PM good enough to reach the forest check post at Muthanga before 6:00 PM?
The forest checkpost closes at 9:00PM. So, 2:00PM start from calicut would be just fine. Also, it takes just less than 3 hours from Calicut to Muthanga check post.

Quote:
Any other alternate route while coming back to bangalore to avoid traffic?
Being a Monday, traffic should be fine, and I wouldn't recommend the Chamrajnagar route, at night with family and a little kid.

Quote:
What I wanted to check on was how the SX4 Mileage compares with other similar sedans on a Bangalore-Calicut drive.
Hi,

For that you might have to use the "Whats your FE thread"
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 12:49   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Hi,

I will be travelling to Calicut from Bangalore on 28th April, 2012. (Sat)

We will be staying at Kappad Beach Resort.

So, the plan is to start in Bangalore at 5:00 AM on 28th April, 2012.
One small suggestion I have is to start by 4-4.15 instead of 5. I did that last time and it helped cover the Mysore Nanjangud-Gundlepet stretch also before morning traffic starts. You can have a quick stop at CCD Gundlepet and reach Bathery by around 9am for breakfast. Or have a longer stop at CCD itself.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 15:45   #142
BHPian

Dear Rajeevraj
A funny experience on a SX4 patrol the last time we used the car. I am a regular visitor from kalady to wayand (abt 630 km up & down)& usually spent Rs.1800 for diesel on my Elantra for the whole trip. Since me and my friend have a travel diesel allowance of Rs.2000 each for each wayand visit, we decided to travel on his SX4 and save few bucks for evening drink.Finally we end up spending the whole Rs.4000/- (an extra 100 km added during the trip). The average mileage rec'd was 11.2 with a/c. Your 13 km/L seems better.
Old 20th April 2012, 23:02   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajuanchorage View Post
Dear Rajeevraj
A funny experience on a SX4 patrol the last time we used the car. I am a regular visitor from kalady to wayand (abt 630 km up & down)& usually spent Rs.1800 for diesel on my Elantra for the whole trip. Since me and my friend have a travel diesel allowance of Rs.2000 each for each wayand visit, we decided to travel on his SX4 and save few bucks for evening drink.Finally we end up spending the whole Rs.4000/- (an extra 100 km added during the trip). The average mileage rec'd was 11.2 with a/c. Your 13 km/L seems better.
That's probably what can be expected. I probably get a little more because I can maintain a constant speed without much shifting Bangalore to around Bathery due to the 4 lane roads and minimal traffic which is 60-70% of the total distance.
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:57   #144
SBR
BHPian

Came back from my trip to Calicut on Monday night (30th April, 2012). I would like to thank Dhanush, Rajeev & Ajit for their valuable inputs.

Started on 28th April at 4:00 AM in my M-800. It was me, wifey & my 3 year old daughter. We reached gundlupet at 8:00 am & stopped at CCD for 30 mins for a coffe break. We had packed breakfast and lunch with us & we had it on the way. Started at 8:30 AM from CCD - Gundlupet and reached the Calicut ghat around 11:00 AM. Stopped here for about 45 mins as I had to help a gentleman from bangalore whose Tata Nano was hit by a two wheeler. While nothing happened to the bike, the front right side wheel of the Tata Nano almost broke. We called My TVS & Marina motors in Calicut but the response was poor. Finally, we spoke to the Tata helpline and they were quick to respond. They confirmed that a tow service crane will reach the spot around 3:00PM. After confirmation of this, I left for Calicut and reached our resort at 1:30 PM. The gentleman later confirmed to me that the Tata guys reached the spot in time as committed. Good Service by Tata.

PS: Mods, the above incident may be off topic. Please edit if found necessary.

Journey of 9.5 hours from Bangalore to Calicut.

While coming back, we started on Monday at 10:30 AM, reached Hotel Jubliee in Sultan Bathery for lunch at about 1:30 PM. Good food at the restaurant. Left the place at 2:15 PM and reached Mysore around 4:45 PM. We stopped at Kamat Madhuvan for a coffee till about 5:15 PM. Left the place, got stuck in a traffic jam in Mysore for 40 mins, reached Maddur around 7:00 PM. Stopped at Maddur tiffany's for early dinner till about 7:45 PM. Left Maddur and reached home (Hutchins Road) by 10:00 PM. Return journey was 12 hours as we had multiple stops & it was raining heavily from Kalpetta till Maddur & not to forget the Mysore Road traffic jam.

Overall, a good road trip. The roads were good all thru except for few bad patches & pot holes between Sultan Bathery and Kalpetta.
SBR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 21:43   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

This question is directed towards the NH 209 route experts. I am driving to Calicut this weekend. Planned start is 4am. After reading several good reports on the Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet route, I am thinking of taking this route this time. I will be travelling with my wife, sister in law and 2 small kids. Couple of questions

1. Is it advisable to take this route considering a 4am start from Bangalore. Would like to know more from the safety and getting lost perspective. Not worried about rest stops/hotels etc since my first stop is CCD Gundlepet.

2. Is the route a direct one or are there diversions to be taken in the towns (Kanakpura, Kollegala). If so, are there clear direction boards?

I know this route was explained in detail in one of the kerala threads. But could not fins the post I was looking for.
Old 7th May 2012, 22:06   #146
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This question is directed towards the NH 209 route experts. I am driving to Calicut this weekend. Planned start is 4am. After reading several good reports on the Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet route, I am thinking of taking this route this time. I will be travelling with my wife, sister in law and 2 small kids. Couple of questions
1. Is it advisable to take this route considering a 4am start from Bangalore. Would like to know more from the safety and getting lost perspective. Not worried about rest stops/hotels etc since my first stop is CCD Gundlepet.
2. Is the route a direct one or are there diversions to be taken in the towns (Kanakpura, Kollegala). If so, are there clear direction boards?
NH209 Route is pretty straight forward once you get on to Kanakapura Road, either via NICE Road or from Banashankari. First diversion is at Malavalli where you need to turn left (right will take you to Bannur & Mysore). After this you have to just head straight (you will see a BR Hills turn off to the left at Yellandur and a road to right for Nanjangud, ignore these turns) and head straight towards Chamarajanagar. Again at Chamarajanagar there is a left turn off for Sathyamangalam which you need to ignore and head straight to Gundlupet. However, when taking this route to Gundlupet I'm not sure if you reach CCD or go past it !
Signages are there in quite a few places, should not be a problem.
If this is the first time, I would suggest you take the regular route via Mysore Road SH 17 since you plan to start very early. You can try the NH209 route on your way back so you can have the flexibility of stopping to ask people for directions if the need arises.

Last edited by NPV : 7th May 2012 at 22:08.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 22:24   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj

I know this route was explained in detail in one of the kerala threads. But could not fins the post I was looking for.
Second NPV's comment,since its a 4am start you could stick to the regular route and you should be at Gundlupet CCD latest by 7am.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 23:02   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Should be easy enough to get to Kollegal.

On entering Kanakapura town, just follow the road with a center divider. (There is a curve to the right and then immediately to the left just at the point of entering the town).

Just before you reach Malavalli town (1 km before the town), you reach a T junction where you need to take a left towards Kollegal. Right takes you to Malavalli town, Maddur / Mysore via Bannur.

Detailed directions after Kollegal are in this message (And another earlier message whose link is provided there):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2723976

The road from Chamarajnagar reaches Gundlupet near the end of the town, You get to a T junction where you have to take a left to go to Ooty or Calicut whereas the Right turn goes to Mysore. (After you turn left there, you need to take the very next right turn that comes up in about 100 meters to go to Calicut - The straight road takes you to Bandipur-Ooty).

In case you want to go to CCD, you have to take a right turn at this T junction and travel about 1 or 2 kms towards Mysore. (CCD comes just before Gundlupet town when coming from Mysore)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 15:08   #149
Senior - BHPian

Travelled on NH209 on Tuesday (from Bangalore to Wayanad) and Wednesday (back). Road conditions continue to be good, but noticed that Chamarajanagar Police is conducting speed checks on the stretch between Chamarajnagar and Kollegal.

The interceptor van was stationed about 1 km after Santhemarahalli when going from Bangalore. Luckily I got stuck behind a bus just after taking the left turn at Santhemarahalli, and so was going below 80kmph when I passed the speed check point. On my return journey I was on the lookout for the interceptor vehicle on this stretch and spotted it from quite far itself and managed to reduce the speed to 70 or so. (Since the road is very straight around this area, you can spot a parked vehicle from about 2 or 3 kms away).

So warning NH209 regulars to please keep a watch for speed check radars around this area. The road being very straight and the surface being very good, it is easy to be driving around 130+ and not realize that you are driving that fast.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 16:34   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Travelled on NH209 on Tuesday (from Bangalore to Wayanad) and Wednesday (back). Road conditions continue to be good, but noticed that Chamarajanagar Police is conducting speed checks on the stretch between Chamarajnagar and Kollegal.
What is the speed limit there? Is it written somewhere?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks