Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 18:21   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
What is the speed limit there? Is it written somewhere?
No clue, can't remember having seen any speed limit boards on the highway.

But even on most of the 4 laned stretches of National Highways, the max speed limits are normally in the range of 80 to 100 kmph. So I wouldn't expect the limit for the 2 lane NH209 to be more than 80. (On most of the NHs in Kerala the limit is apparently 70 kmph - not sure if they've upped it for the new 4 lane stretches of NH47 between Trichur and Cochin)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 10:42   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Just returned from a trip to Calicut yesterday. Took the NH 209 route for the first time and very happy about it. Started from Calicut at around 6 and reached Gundlepet at 9.45 after a 1 hr break in Bathery (Hotel Mintflower-First time there. Decent breakfast buffet for Rs75. But was little crowded)

Reached Kanakpura-NICE road Jn by around 1.30pm and was home by 2pm. I felt taking this route on the way back saved me atleast 1 hr as compared to the Mysore Route. Since I started at 6 and reached Bathery by 8, that section was a minimal traffic drive. Bathery to Gundlepet is traffic free at any time in any case. And the NH209 route meant that Gundlepet Bangalore was also traffic free. So overall an almost traffic free drive.

One key updated is that the road from Chundale to after Kalpetta Town has been relaid and work is still progressing towards Bathery side now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Should be easy enough to get to Kollegal.

On entering Kanakapura town, just follow the road with a center divider. (There is a curve to the right and then immediately to the left just at the point of entering the town).

Just before you reach Malavalli town (1 km before the town), you reach a T junction where you need to take a left towards Kollegal. Right takes you to Malavalli town, Maddur / Mysore via Bannur.

Detailed directions after Kollegal are in this message (And another earlier message whose link is provided there):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2723976
Kala, thanks again for these spot on directions. My family was surprised when I drove through the towns without any hesitation although it was my first time on the route.

Quote:
Travelled on NH209 on Tuesday (from Bangalore to Wayanad) and Wednesday (back). Road conditions continue to be good, but noticed that Chamarajanagar Police is conducting speed checks on the stretch between Chamarajnagar and Kollegal.
Did not notice any checking yesterday when I passed. Maybe they turn up post lunch when more vehicles can be expected.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:10   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chamarajanagar Police is conducting speed checks on the stretch between Chamarajnagar and Kollegal.
Had seen Chamarajnagar Police (they got that written on the vehicle) doing speed check in NH-212 just before Gundelpet town. Almost near that fire station while coming from Calicut few weeks back. It was a Tata winger I guess. Would say a good thing as long as they are enforcing some sane speed limits unlike Mandya police which has put speed limit as 30Kmph just before you enter the Mandya from Chanpattana side.
Old 4th August 2012, 21:31   #154
BHPian

Dear friends,

Thanks for all the help from Kala/Rajeev and others here for my recent trip of BANGALORE - CALICUT and back.

BANGALORE-CALICUT was routine, via Mysore,Gundulpet, S Battery , and we made good time in my Scorpio (8 hours including a pit stop for dinner at Jubilee, S B).

CALICUT-BANGALORE was an experiment, since we returned on a Sunday, and
stopped at Mysore for a few hours. Taking the hints from friends here, decided to
try a new route. Mysore -Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore. Mainly aimed at
avoiding the evening rush on the normal route, this NEW route was surpisingly
good, with good roads and minimal traffic . I would recommend this route for all,
and would continue to use it. People in the BTM,Mysore Road,Rajajinagar areas,
can enter into NICE road (14 km from Kanakpura), people from East ,Central and North Bangalore (like us) can continue on Kanakpura road , right at ring road(near Metro) , left into Jayadeva flyover into Diary circle.

Regards,

Venu
Old 15th August 2012, 13:08   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Travelled on NH209 on Tuesday (from Bangalore to Wayanad) and Wednesday (back). Road conditions continue to be good, but noticed that Chamarajanagar Police is conducting speed checks on the stretch between Chamarajnagar and Kollegal.
Were these checks still there on your recent trips? I would be passing this stretch in the evening around 6 pm or so.

Btw, how is the traffic density in the stretch between Gundlupet and Bathery after 7 pm (and of course before 9 pm)? Is it advisable to do the forest stretch after dark in a small car? In fact, I have only done this stretch till now during daylight and this time around I would have to do this stretch at night.
Old 15th August 2012, 16:21   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
Were these checks still there on your recent trips? I would be passing this stretch in the evening around 6 pm or so.
Didn't come across any radar equipped vehicles when I travelled that way last weekend, and also in my previous trip which was in the beginning of July.

Quote:
Btw, how is the traffic density in the stretch between Gundlupet and Bathery after 7 pm (and of course before 9 pm)? Is it advisable to do the forest stretch after dark in a small car? In fact, I have only done this stretch till now during daylight and this time around I would have to do this stretch at night.
Not too much of an issue really. The road sees a fair amount of traffic in the evening hours, so it won't be totally desolate. Drive slow because chances of encountering wildlife on or near the road is much higher after dusk.

Also beware of a lot of speed breakers which have been added in the Karnataka side of the forest in places where the tarmac is new - many of them aren't visible from a distance.

The road conditions after you cross into Kerala aren't that great - at least till Kalpetta. (Heard that the roads are better from there onwards).
Old 15th August 2012, 21:03   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just came to Bangalore yesterday via this route. No such checks.

Quote:
This forest stretch is actually very safe. No incidents reported recently, when most other roads in Wayanad has some or the other issue. Also, if at all you feel unsafe, follow a bigger vehicle like a truck or a bus.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 22:18   #158
BHPian

kala and dhanushs: Thanks for the updates

Quote:
Also beware of a lot of speed breakers which have been added in the Karnataka side of the forest in places where the tarmac is new - many of them aren't visible from a distance.
Yes, the unmarked speed breakers are a problem and especially so at night. I had trouble with these the last time too - I wonder why these are not being painted.

The section immediately after the beginning of the forest on the Karnataka side was in bad shape the last time I travelled on this route (end of May). Is this in better shape now?

Quote:
The road conditions after you cross into Kerala aren't that great - at least till Kalpetta. (Heard that the roads are better from there onwards).
Kalpetta - Calicut is in good shape. So no worries on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also, if at all you feel unsafe, follow a bigger vehicle like a truck or a bus.
This is what I had in mind. Hopefully, would help with the unmarked speed breakers too
Old 15th August 2012, 22:50   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I had in mind. Hopefully, would help with the unmarked speed breakers too
Sajid, after crossing the forest checkpost, newly laid road starts in a few kms. The unmarked speed breakers are there only in the newly laid road. And, they are at about say.. a kilometer away.

In any case, the truck in front of you will brake.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 09:46   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The section immediately after the beginning of the forest on the Karnataka side was in bad shape the last time I travelled on this route (end of May). Is this in better shape now?
Yes most of those portions have been done up pretty well now. I can recall only one place about 3 or 4 kms into the forest where the repair work hasn't been done too well (The same place where there was a pretty huge crater running right across the road earlier). But even that is not too bad, and it's a short 20 meter stretch anyway, shouldn't be a cause of worry even for low ground clearance sedans - just need to take it slow.
Old 24th August 2012, 17:26   #161
BHPian

Sorry for the late update - got stuck up with work.

I drove Friday evening to Calicut and returned Monday night. I took the route via Kanakapura road in both directions. It took me 7 1/2 hrs for the onward journey and 9 hrs for the return journey. Here is an update on the road conditions.

The roads till Chamarajanagar are in very good condition. Chamrajanagar to Gundlupet is okay - need to be a bit careful at night. Gundlupet to Kerala border is also fine - one needs to watch out for the increased number of speed-breakers. Kalpetta to Calicut is also in good condition.

The bad part is Kerala border to Kalpetta (till the beginning of the recently paved road).

* Kerala border to Bathery - some potholes after Muthanga.
* Bathery to Meenangadi - some potholes close to Meenangadi.
* Meenangadi to Muttil - this is the worst stretch with lots of potholes especially around Kakkavayal.
* Muttil to Kalpetta - some intermittent potholes.

Except for the Meenangadi to Muttil section, one can easily drive around the potholes during the day. At night, one needs to be extra careful in these sections.

On my return trip, there was a lot of traffic from Calicut to Gundlupet and from Kanakapura to Bangalore.

I did encounter one Interceptor (with Chamrajanagar police marking) on the onward journey 3 kms before Kollegal town. In fact, I had to tail it all the way till Kollegal town - it went in a different direction from there. There were no speed checks as such.

The after dark drive through the forest was not as bad as I had feared. In fact, I found more traffic than my day drives.
Old 25th August 2012, 10:29   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys avoid Kanakpura -Kollegal road as of now. Prohibitory orders are in place in kanakpura as mentioned in TOI bangalore
Old 25th August 2012, 12:05   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Guys avoid Kanakpura -Kollegal road as of now. Prohibitory orders are in place in kanakpura as mentioned in TOI bangalore
Could you please elaborate.Do you mean night time traffic?
Old 25th August 2012, 13:06   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

Could you please elaborate.Do you mean night time traffic?
Nope. Some communal tensions in Kanakpura - better avoid the road passing through here till situation is back to normal.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:03   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Does anyone have update on how situation in Kanakpura is currently. Planning to take this route coming Sunday on return from Calicut.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks