Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 07:14   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
the 15 km stretch from Gundlupet to the forest entrance. I was talking only about the latter section where the traffic has always been very sparse in my experience. (Probably because the majority of the traffic on the Mysore-Gundlupet stretch is Gudalur/Ooty bound ?).
My impression is that the traffic bound for Ooty is seasonal and touristy in nature; the bulk of the traffic is between Mysore and Calicut (and towns in between). Which makes sense, as Mysore and Calicut are two similarly sized cities with deep historic, cultural and economic ties - much like Bangalore and Chennai though at a smaller scale.
Old 19th February 2015, 09:15   #542
BHPian

Hi,

Does anyone know the expected timeline for the bridge near Kollegal on NH-209 to be reopened?

In December, I made the mistake of not checking TBHP and ended up having to divert from near the bridge I ended up going through Belakavadi - Talakkad - T Narasipura - Nanjangud. I took T Narasipura - Nanjangud as I was already delayed and did not want to take chances at the forest checkpost.

Having travelled through NH-209 ever since I discovered that route here, I am awaiting the full reopening of the route.

Thanks,
Sajid
Old 19th February 2015, 13:50   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A case of priorities being absolutely wrong. The stretch in question was already quite wide, tarmac in excellent condition, and has very sparse traffic - so being a 2 lane road was never a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I was thinking this widening came none too late, having seen pretty heavy traffic on this route. Skipping Kollegal - Mysore for the moment, do we disagree that Mysore - Gundlupet and Calicut - Bathery deserve to be upgraded? The court will no allow construction inside the forest, but everything else needs the upgrade in my opinion.
In my opinion, I think both the above are valid points. There is no doubt that 4-Laning Mysore-Bandipur Forest will help and it is something that needs to done with a long term vision in mind.

But I do think that they have got the priority of work wrong. The Gundlepet-Forest section is the one with the least traffic load. I assume it would have been easy for them to do this stretch from land acquisition and actual work perspective and hence they took it up. But the section that urgently needed to be done was Mysore-Nanjangud. Getting this done first would really have helped commute times on this route.

Bathery-Calicut 4 Lane would be a dream come true. But considering the density and the terrain, I don't see how it can or will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know the expected timeline for the bridge near Kollegal on NH-209 to be reopened?

In December, I made the mistake of not checking TBHP and ended up having to divert from near the bridge I ended up going through Belakavadi - Talakkad - T Narasipura - Nanjangud. I took T Narasipura - Nanjangud as I was already delayed and did not want to take chances at the forest checkpost.

Having travelled through NH-209 ever since I discovered that route here, I am awaiting the full reopening of the route.

Thanks,
Sajid
Actually the best alternate is pretty good. I actually found it better than the original route as it bye passes Yelandur and Kollegala towns and the narrow stretches in between. The route to take is Malavalli (left after taking right at the T junction when coming from Bangalore)-Purigali-Talakad-T.Narsipura-Chamrajnagar.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th February 2015 at 13:55.
Old 22nd February 2015, 21:57   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Actually the best alternate is pretty good. I actually found it better than the original route as it bye passes Yelandur and Kollegala towns and the narrow stretches in between. The route to take is Malavalli (left after taking right at the T junction when coming from Bangalore)-Purigali-Talakad-T.Narsipura-Chamrajnagar.
I wasnt regular here for sometime now and so many alternative routes being discussed. Would you able to share a google maps link on the above 'best alternative'?
Old 22nd February 2015, 22:02   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I wasnt regular here for sometime now and so many alternative routes being discussed. Would you able to share a google maps link on the above 'best alternative'?
Here you go. This is the "best alternative" being discussed here:

https://goo.gl/maps/HQXfO

This post of mine touches upon this route in passing:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3611975

Last edited by binand : 22nd February 2015 at 22:04. Reason: Changed the map link slightly
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 15:26   #546
BHPian

Quote:

If I have to reach Palakkad, the below route should be in a decent shape without any tolls isnt it? Also it will avoid the broken bridge at Shivanasamudra right?

kanakpura-Malavalli-Purigali-Talakadu- T.Narsipura-Chamrajnagara-Sathy-Avinashi- Palghat bye pass-Chandranagar-Palakkad.

Please advice.
Old 24th February 2015, 18:09   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
If I have to reach Palakkad, the below route should be in a decent shape without any tolls isnt it? Also it will avoid the broken bridge at Shivanasamudra right?

kanakpura-Malavalli-Purigali-Talakadu- T.Narsipura-Chamrajnagara-Sathy-Avinashi- Palghat bye pass-Chandranagar-Palakkad.

Please advice.
Yes this route is good will avoid the under repair bridge. No tolls apart from the L&T bypass toll.

Do note that the only family friendly stop will be nijaguna residency at chamrajnagar

Note: other experts can comment, but I don't think you need to touch avinashi.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th February 2015 at 18:10.
Old 25th February 2015, 12:24   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Quote:
Yes this route is good will avoid the under repair bridge. No tolls apart from the L&T bypass toll.

Do note that the only family friendly stop will be nijaguna residency at chamrajnagar

Note: other experts can comment, but I don't think you need to touch avinashi.
You're right - the Sathy-Annur-Karumathampatty-L&T bypass will be slightly shorter (may be 4-5 kms less) than the Sathy-Puliampatty-Sevur-Avinashi-L&T bypass route. But since roads are equally good through both these options, the shorter route via Annur would obviously be the better choice.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 15:38   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My...
Binand, Had a question. On the SH33 route via Handpost-Manathavady, Are there any decent family friendly places to stop in or around Manathavady? Primarily looking for clean rest rooms.

Since the road widening has kicked of in a big way on the Gundlepet route, looking to take this route next week.
Old 26th February 2015, 16:37   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Binand, Had a question. On the SH33 route via Handpost-Manathavady, Are there any decent family friendly places to stop in or around Manathavady? Primarily looking for clean rest rooms.

Since the road widening has kicked of in a big way on the Gundlepet route, looking to take this route next week.
There is a hotel/restaurant in Kattikkulam on the right hand side of the road (sorry - don't recall the name) which looked pretty decent. Never used the rest rooms there, but from the overall looks of the place there's good chance that it has clean toilets as well.

Mananthavadi town would probably have a few good hotels, but if you're headed towards Kalpetta or Kuttyadi side they would all be off your route. (I recall seeing a good looking hotel on the Kannur route)
Old 26th February 2015, 17:01   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hotel Brahmagiri. Details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3564452

If you can sustain till you join NH 212 then there are hotels galore, of course.
Old 27th February 2015, 10:38   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is a hotel/restaurant in Kattikkulam on the right hand side of the road (sorry - don't recall the name) which looked pretty decent. Never used the rest rooms there, but from the overall looks of the place there's good chance that it has clean toilets as well.
Quote:
Hotel Brahmagiri. Details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3564452

If you can sustain till you join NH 212 then there are hotels galore, of course.
Thank you very much. Couple of other questions:

1. I assume it would be better to take the Kalpetta-Adivaram route as opposed to the Kutiyadi route from Manathavady to Calicut?

2. Any recommendations for a good stop point in Bathery and in Mysore. Easy access and parking, decent food and clean rest rooms are the priorities. I had stopped a couple of times at Mintflower in Bathery, but felt it was crowded and rest rooms were not great.

Am traveling with elders this time and hence need more stops apart from my usual stops. Hence these questions
Old 27th February 2015, 11:05   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I assume it would be better to take the Kalpetta-Adivaram route as opposed to the Kutiyadi route from Manathavady to Calicut?

2. Any recommendations for a good stop point in Bathery and in Mysore. Easy access and parking, decent food and clean rest rooms are the priorities. I had stopped a couple of times at Mintflower in Bathery, but felt it was crowded and rest rooms were not great.
This post has a brief overview of Mananthavady-Kuttiyadi-Calicut:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3645616

My verdict is that though about 15 km shorter, it is best avoided in the normal course due to these factors: (a) the first 20 km or so after Mananthavady is not great, and more importantly (b) the general aspect of the road is to be quite narrow which creates several bottlenecks as you approach Calicut city. The final 40 km could be particularly troublesome.

Stops - ref Mysore, with the B-M road so full of restaurants do you really need recommendations?

If you don't like Mintflower then there are a couple of other options within Bathery town - but don't think they are any better than Mintflower. There is a good hotel (rooms-for-rent type with a restaurant) between Muthanga and Bathery whose name I forget now. Kalpetta town also has a few (the one with a restaurant called Sadya had good rest rooms), so does Vythiri. Down near Thamarassery there's Whitefield or Whitehorse or some such.
Old 27th February 2015, 13:15   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Stops - ref Mysore, with the B-M road so full of restaurants do you really need recommendations?
Should have been more specific. Was looking for a ideal option within Mysore City or immediate outskirts. I typically start by 4-4.30 and break at Gundlepet. Since I want to take Handpost route, thought I will start maybe around 5-5.30 and break in Mysore itself and then take the next break at Manathavady. Anything on the highway will be too early to break and at that time most of them will be closed.
Old 27th February 2015, 14:29   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should have been more specific. Was looking for a ideal option within Mysore City or immediate outskirts. I typically start by 4-4.30 and break at Gundlepet. Since I want to take Handpost route, thought I will start maybe around 5-5.30 and break in Mysore itself and then take the next break at Manathavady. Anything on the highway will be too early to break and at that time most of them will be closed.
Hotel Siddharth in Mysore would be a decent place for breakfast - they should be open by 7:30 or so - but you'd have to go via the city to get there - can't take the Ring road option.

Not sure why you wanted options in Bathery. In case you're taking the handpost route, you wouldn't need to touch Bathery at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks