Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 16:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
The next weekend I am going to a place called Balusseri/Calicut(Dt).

The road I intend to do is Bangalore-> Mysore-> Gundulpet-> S.Bathery -> Thamarassery -> Balusseri.

Is the road to Balusseri ( koyilandi route ) marked ( in the town of Thamarassery ) properly in the road to calicut?

Any new developments / road condition updates would be great to get.

I am planning to start around 3 PM from Sarjapur Road/Bangalore. [ Planning for a dinner at S-Bathery ]. Would that be an ambitious plan?
As Kala said, the right turn towards Balusseri is easy to spot. Actually it is a four road junction, with the road from Areecode joining from the left. The road to Balusseri is good, except that at Balusseri Town near the bus stand, there was some road work going on some 4 months back. Should be over by now
Old 25th March 2011, 23:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ As of yesterday, thamaraserry ghats are in not-so-good condition. Rest, everywhere, roads are fine.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

I need to travel to Meenangadi from Bangalore this weekend. I haven't drove beyond Mysore in recent past. I will be starting from Bommanahalli (early morning start) and seek your advise on best routes.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:29   #34
BHPian

Early morning start will be excellent. 3:30 start will be ideal. From Mysore the route is Nanjangaud > Gundalpet > Sulthan Bathery > Meenangadi. You will reach by 8:30 even if you drive at a leisurely pace.

Total distance - around 270 KM.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Coolclouds, the route you need to take is Mandya- Mysore- Nanjangaud- Gundelpet- Just after Gundelpet bus stop take the right ( left takes you to Ooty). Once you take right you will reach Karnataka border in some 25 kms which is in middle of Bandipur/ Wayanad wildlife sanctuary. Once you cross over to Kerala you will cross Sulthan Batthery after some 20 Kms or so. Meenangadi town is on the road from Mysore - Calicut (NH 212) around 10 kms after Sulthan Batthery.
From Bommanahalli you can take NICE road till Kengeri too and can avoid traffic and continue on Mysore road. You will be able to cover the entire distance in around 5 hrs or less.
Only issue being the road through sanctuary will be closed in night, but since you starting in morning thats not going to be an issue.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
Early morning start will be excellent. 3:30 start will be ideal. From Mysore the route is Nanjangaud > Gundalpet > Sulthan Bathery > Meenangadi. You will reach by 8:30 even if you drive at a leisurely pace.

Total distance - around 270 KM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Coolclouds, the route you need to take is Mandya- Mysore- Nanjangaud- Gundelpet- Just after Gundelpet bus stop take the right ( left takes you to Ooty). Once you take right you will reach Karnataka border in some 25 kms which is in middle of Bandipur/ Wayanad wildlife sanctuary. Once you cross over to Kerala you will cross Sulthan Batthery after some 20 Kms or so. Meenangadi town is on the road from Mysore - Calicut (NH 212) around 10 kms after Sulthan Batthery.
From Bommanahalli you can take NICE road till Kengeri too and can avoid traffic and continue on Mysore road. You will be able to cover the entire distance in around 5 hrs or less.
Only issue being the road through sanctuary will be closed in night, but since you starting in morning thats not going to be an issue.

Thank you for the quick response.
I am planning to start at 5.30am, go via city to reach Mysore road as the traffic won't be an issue that time and the route is familiar.

If I reach Mysore before 8.30am, should I need to go via city or any bypass in place?
Old 29th March 2011, 13:45   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
If I reach Mysore before 8.30am, should I need to go via city or any bypass in place?
You can always by pass Mysore, but as far as Mysore traffic is concerned, its not worth the extra kms. Just pass through the city, tru KSRTC bus stand.

No big issue.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Coolclouds, the route you need to take is Mandya- Mysore- Nanjangaud- Gundelpet- Just after Gundelpet bus stop take the right ( left takes you to Ooty).
Slight correction here. You need to take the right after the bus stand and the RTO checkpost to go towards Bathery - it's the straight road that goes to Bandipur/Ooty, not the left. (The left turn about 100 meters before that junction - which is before th RTO checkpost- takes you to Chamarajnagar)

Quote:
Don't take the bypass - it will only slow you down.

The ring road towards the right (at the SH17/Mysore ring road junction near Columbia Asia Hospital) is about 10 kms longer and not in great shape either, so it will take you far too long to bypass the city.

If you take a left at the same junction, you can bypass the city by going via Bannur Road/T.Narsipur Road/Lalithmahal palace/Mysore Race course to Nilgiris road. This is only about 2-3 kms longer than going through the city, but signboards with directions are more or less non-existent, so it is easy to get lost and get back right into the heart of the city again, so not at all worth the trouble. After all you drive through the city for only 3 or 4 kms anyway, and the traffic isn't that heavy to justify taking the bypass.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thank you.

I am not at all familiar with Mysore.

If I ask for Gundelpet, they may direct me through various roads including ring road. Can you name a place in the other side of the city I can ask for and then connect to Gundelpet route.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

I am not at all familiar with Mysore.

If I ask for Gundelpet, they may direct me through various roads including ring road. Can you name a place in the other side of the city I can ask for and then connect to Gundelpet route.
You can ask for the KSRTC bus stand. Go past the bus stand (which comes on your right) and you will be forced to take a left turn about 50 meters after it (The straight road is barricaded since it is a one way). After this forced left turn take the first right turn which comes in about 200 metres or so. Will take you to a big junction with 5 or 6 roads. Look at the marking for Nilgiris / Ooty, and take that road (It is the road that is straight ahead from the point where you enter the circle). You'll then pass between the Mysore palace on your right and Dasara Exhibition ground on your left. Just past the Dasara exhibition ground, there is a fork that goes about 30 degrees to the left - this is the road to Nanjangud. From there on it's more or less straight ahead till Gundlupet, not much of a chance of making an error.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Folks its pretty straight forward, cross the Palace Main gate and then take the left on the Y fork junction. The route to calicut is clearly marked and you even have a board installed in front of the palace indicating the distance to Calicut.

Just in case you aren't sure, look for road signs leading to Nanjangud or Gundlupet. You have to pass these 2 towns to reach calicut.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Driving Thrissur-BLR and then onwards to Hyd next weekend.Any inputs on eating stops enroute for a good breakfast.Lunch in all probability would be in one of the eateries on the Mys-BLR road.So was looking for route conditions and tips between Kozhikode and Gundulpet.Many thanx.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Driving Thrissur-BLR and then onwards to Hyd next weekend.Any inputs on eating stops enroute for a good breakfast.Lunch in all probability would be in one of the eateries on the Mys-BLR road.So was looking for route conditions and tips between Kozhikode and Gundulpet.Many thanx.
Mysore -- Nanjangud -- Gundalpet -- S. Battery -- Calicut road is in good shape. One can have a smooth ride in this route.

i usually stop at Kamat on Mysore -- Nanjangud road.

Regards,
Sarin
Old 19th April 2011, 12:50   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
... S. Battery -- Calicut road is in good shape. One can have a smooth ride in this route...
Hey, the ghats still aint patched up!.

but then, its just ~12kms.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:45   #45
BHPian

Folks who have recently used the kanakapura Road to Gundlupet, is it worth giving a shot. I've always used the Mysore SHw to Calicut and wanted to see if the Kanakapura-> Kollegal-> Chamarajnagar-> Gundlupet is good enough. I would be travelling post lunch on 22nd and didn't want to go through the harrowing traffic on Mysore road.

Most Viewed