Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:14   #76
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Did a Bangalore->Calicut->Guruvayur->Calicut->Bangalore trip last weekend. Had to touch Calicut either ways as it is our hometown too.

The details of Bangalore->Calicut leg is given below:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-blr_nlmbr_clt.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2011, 11:41   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Did a Bangalore->Calicut->Guruvayur->Calicut->Bangalore trip last weekend. Had to touch Calicut either ways as it is our hometown too.

The details of Bangalore->Calicut leg is given below:
How was the overall road condition, more so in kerala? I plan to drive to bangalore in the 1st week of august. Would love to do the Thamarasery stretch but not sure about the road condition. Have heard that it is in total tatters and in many places there are no roads even!
Old 23rd July 2011, 23:24   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
How was the overall road condition, more so in kerala? I plan to drive to bangalore in the 1st week of august. Would love to do the Thamarasery stretch but not sure about the road condition. Have heard that it is in total tatters and in many places there are no roads even!
I travelled from Bangalore to Calicut and back in the first week of this month and the situation wasn't all that terrible then. Yes - some of the hairpins on the Thamarassery ghats had broken roads, and there are pot-holed stretches here and there between Vythiri and the Karnataka border, but nothing that I'd advise someone to avoid totally.. (If I recall right, the situation in July 2010 was much worse than this and I used to take the Nilambur-Gudalur route while travelling to Calicut then)

Not sure if things have worsened over the past month. With Kerala monsoons one can never be too sure...
Old 25th July 2011, 10:21   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guess, the route Ajithbr took is BLR- Mysore- Gundelpet -Gudallur -Nilambur- CLT one.
Hope BLR- Mysore- Gundelpet- Sultan Batthery- CLT route will be in better shape.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:56   #80
BHPian

Please read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ruvayur-2.html and see the advantage of Nilambur route over NH-212 coming from Calicut. In fact, Calicut->Gundlupet distance is almost same on either route but you can get better timings through Nilambur route.

Road conditions last week was so good on Nilambur route that for the 370-kms door-to-door, I can remember only a couple of to-be-careful potholes in the forest just before Gudalur.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Guess, the route Ajithbr took is BLR- Mysore- Gundelpet -Gudallur -Nilambur- CLT one.
Hope BLR- Mysore- Gundelpet- Sultan Batthery- CLT route will be in better shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Please read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ruvayur-2.html and see the advantage of Nilambur route over NH-212 coming from Calicut. In fact, Calicut->Gundlupet distance is almost same on either route but you can get better timings through Nilambur route.

Road conditions last week was so good on Nilambur route that for the 370-kms door-to-door, I can remember only a couple of to-be-careful potholes in the forest just before Gudalur.
Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Kozhikode should be the preferred route for people going towards Kozhikode.Fully second Ajith's observation,this is route is anyday in excellent condition as compared to the Muthanga-Batheri-Vythiri-Thamarasserry-Kozhikode section.Not to mention the crazy traffic that one faces on the NH212.It tires your legs out!
Old 26th July 2011, 15:53   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Kozhikode should be the preferred route for people going towards Kozhikode.Fully second Ajith's observation,this is route is anyday in excellent condition as compared to the Muthanga-Batheri-Vythiri-Thamarasserry-Kozhikode section.Not to mention the crazy traffic that one faces on the NH212.It tires your legs out!
On NH-212, even if the road condition is good, I hate being sandwiched between slow-moving heavy vehicles in the ghat section. Apparently, you can move only as fast as the guy ahead you and only as slow as the guy behind you. The never-breaking oncoming traffic don't let you overtake as well as relaxed driving. Forget the distance(if extra 10-20 kms is worth analysis) but anyday, you can cover Gundulpet->Nilambur->Calicut under 4 hours now. But for Gundulpet->NH212->Calicut, the timing is decided by Murphy's law only
Old 26th July 2011, 17:21   #83
BHPian

Friends, I plan to drive from Trichur to Bangalore in 1st week of August. There are so many threads on kerala-bglore route that I am confused as to which route to take. I am not planning the Vythiri-Sultan Battery route due to the reportedly worst road conditions. But am confused between the following 3 options:
1) NH 47 via Palakkad-Coimbatore-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bglore
2) NH 209 via Palakad-Coimbatore-Satyamangalam-Chamrajnagar-Malavali-Bglore
3) NH 67/212 via Palakad-Coimbatore-Metuppalayam-Gundalur-Gundalpet-Mysore-Bglore

I am game for driving thru hilly terrains and zig zag roads with lot of nature beauty to enjoy as long as the roads are in good condition. Pl help with your suggestions.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:36   #84
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I plan to drive from Trichur to Bangalore in 1st week of August. There are so many threads on kerala-bglore route that I am confused as to which route to take. I am not planning the Vythiri-Sultan Battery route due to the reportedly worst road conditions. But am confused between the following 3 options:
3) NH 67/212 via Palakad-Coimbatore-Metuppalayam-Gundalur-Gundalpet-Mysore-Bglore

I am game for driving thru hilly terrains and zig zag roads with lot of nature beauty to enjoy as long as the roads are in good condition. Pl help with your suggestions.
If you are going to do Trichur-Palakkad on NH47 (you haven't mentioned the route for that stretch in all 3 options) that's going to be your first problematic stretch !
On the NH47 Coimbatore-Bangalore route the stretch that can slow you down (other than Hosur town and Bangalore city traffic) is Coimbatore-Chengapalli (near Avinashi) about 60km where 4 laning work is in progress and truck traffic is heavy on weekends and in the evenings but if you time this well it should be fine.
On another thread there was a good alternate route I think by @ranjit for Palakkad-Trichur and then to Kochi, that may be the right one for you till Palakkad. Then you can take NH47, Walayar, L&T bypass for Palakkad-Coimbatore.
You can do Coimbatore-Bangalore in Route #1 or #2 (more scenic but has ghat section in Dimbam). Also decide based on where in Bangalore you need to visit and what time you will be reaching Bangalore.
See this thread for more information:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-route-17.html

Last edited by NPV : 26th July 2011 at 17:42.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest that you drive through a 4th option that isnt mentioned on your list.Since you would anyway drive through NH4 on your way back to AMD,you would have your fill of 4laned GQ there.So drive back to Bangalore via this route:

I am assuming you would be driving back from Pattambi,so then take this route of

Pattambi-Perinthalmana-Pattikad-Melattoor-Kalikavu-Nilambur-Vazhikadavu-Nadugani-Gudalur-Theppakadu-Bandipur-Gundulpet-Nanjangud-Mysore-Bangalore.

This one would be a real scenic drive and road conditions are also very good.It takes you through the bandipur forests as well as the forests of the silent valley in nilambur range.Roads are indeed all ghat sections but nothing to worry.

You should be able to cover this distance in under 8-9 hours.Leave early from Pattambi is the mantra.(5am should be ideal).Plenty of eating options enroute.You would never be starved for food or for greenery along this route.

Pattambi, Kerala to Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps
Old 27th July 2011, 14:39   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Pattambi-Perinthalmana-Pattikad-Melattoor-Kalikavu-Nilambur-Vazhikadavu-Nadugani-Gudalur-Theppakadu-Bandipur-Gundulpet-Nanjangud-Mysore-Bangalore.
@Sandy,

What Ranjit mentioned is exactly what me and Ajit commented on your own thread yesterday!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2444452
Old 28th July 2011, 14:33   #87
BHPian

I returned yesterday after spending 3 days in Wayanad. Took the Mysore - Gudlupet - Sultan Bathery - Kalpetta road. I would like to write about my experience.

Total KMS from Chennai to Wayanad and back was 1350. Had taken a break at Bangalore.

Started from Bangalore on July 23 2011 at 730AM from Benson Town. There is an elevated highway construction happening on Mysore road. There was lot of traffic in the early hours too. As usual the Mysore road was chok-a-block with weekend traffic. Reached Mysore Bye pass at 1115 after a stop at Kadu Mane for Breakfast before Ramnagara. Though the Bangalore - Mysore Highway is 4 lane it has lot of twists and turns and humps. It is no where comparable to the GQ Roads.

From Mysore took the bye pass which connects to the Ooty Road. This bye pass is not completed yet and after a certain point there are no directions. Had to ask around to reach the Ooty Road.

The road till Nanjangud is very chaotic. Full of traffic. After Nanjangud the traffic eases and the tarmac is smooth till Gundlupet. Took a coffee break at CCD just before Gundlupet. From Gundlupet need to take right turn towards Calicut. After a few KMS the forest road starts. Due to heavy rains the roads are pot hole ridden . Though there is less traffic almost nil the road is not smooth. From Sultan Bathery thru Kalpetta the road till the Windflower Resort which is just off Chundale Town is very crowded. Reached the resort at 3:15PM after a 7 hours 45 mins drive including 2 stops of 45mins and 30mins.

Though the total distance from Bangalore to Chundale is 290kms the driving time took almost 6 hours and 30 mins. This is due to the heavy traffic on Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud section and bad roads between Gundlupet- Sulthan Bathery.

I would also like to state here the last 3 KMS fom Chundale town to the windflower resort is thro mud road. Very bad road no thar and suitable for SUV. Its perfect for Off Roading. I had taken my Cruze, drove really slow in this 3 km stretch. Luckily escaped without any damage.

In the return drive started from the resort at 1 PM on July 25 2011 stopped at Mintflower in Suthan Bathery for Lunch and reached Mysore at 5 PM. There is no sign for bye pass while coming from Gundlupet. There is one which says take left to Bangalore but this bye pass goes thru a whole circle as it connects the Hunsur Road. Best is to avoid it. Came thro Mysore city and reached the Bangalore Highway at 5:30pm. Started raining heavily. Due to the rain pedestrian traffic was less. Stopped at Maddur CCD for 20mins. Decided to take the NICE road in order to avoid the traffic while entering Bangalore as the elevated construction is on. It was a good decision as from Kengeri took the NICE road to Madiwala and entered the city.

Being used to driving on the GQ extensively, I can say I have been spoilt as I did not enjoy the drive this time. It is really time consuming and patience is needed to drive on the single carriage highways.

Last edited by sameer sultan : 28th July 2011 at 14:37.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:55   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Sandy,

What Ranjit mentioned is exactly what me and Ajit commented on your own thread yesterday!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2444452
Quote:
This one would be a real scenic drive and road conditions are also very good.It takes you through the bandipur forests as well as the forests of the silent valley in nilambur range.Roads are indeed all ghat sections but nothing to worry.
Pattambi, Kerala to Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps
Thanks Ampere and RanjitP1. I first went to my thread and had posted a query on the road condition on it. But u have already answered it in this post .

By the way, I will mostly be starting from Trichur in which case I should be taking the Trichur-Wadakanchery-Shoranur-Pattambi-Chelakkad-Perinthalmana route and then on to Nilambur? Any suggestions?

My concern is the road condition between Thrisur/Pattambi to Nilambur as after that i understand that the roads are in good shape.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

By the way, I will mostly be starting from Trichur in which case I should be taking the Trichur-Wadakanchery-Shoranur-Pattambi-Chelakkad-Perinthalmana route and then on to Nilambur? Any suggestions?

My concern is the road condition between Thrisur/Pattambi to Nilambur as after that i understand that the roads are in good shape.
Road from Thrissur to Pattambi is no problems,it is good.All the sections are good(Thrissur-Wadakancheri / WKI-Kulappully/Kulappully-Pattambi)

Pattambi-Perinthalmana is going to be time consuming due to dense traffic(ofcourse depends on the time you are driving,if its early morning then no traffic else it is going to be a slow drive).From Pattikad onwards all the way to Gundulpet,there is going to be hardly any traffic and roads are also good.I left Thrissur last time around 8am and was able to reach Koramangala around 6pm with some real sedate driving and real long breaks!Be sure to take the NICE road from Kengeri,it is not worth driving through Bangalore traffic in the evenings
Old 28th July 2011, 16:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Road from Thrissur to Pattambi is no problems,it is good.All the sections are good(Thrissur-Wadakancheri / WKI-Kulappully/Kulappully-Pattambi)

Pattambi-Perinthalmana is going to be time consuming due to dense traffic(ofcourse depends on the time you are driving,if its early morning then no traffic else it is going to be a slow drive).From Pattikad onwards all the way to Gundulpet,there is going to be hardly any traffic and roads are also good.I left Thrissur last time around 8am and was able to reach Koramangala around 6pm with some real sedate driving and real long breaks!Be sure to take the NICE road from Kengeri,it is not worth driving through Bangalore traffic in the evenings
Perinthalmanna - Pattambi was in bad shape when I drove this stretch on July 15th. I was travelling to Guruvayur. While returning I took the Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Nilambur route. This was 20 KM longer than the Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Nilanbur route but the roads were good.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks