Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 16:23   #1
BHPian

Going to Manali. Question on bike rentals

Hello,

I searched the forums but didn't find a thread that answered my query. So here goes.

A friend and I are planning a motorcycle trip to Shimla-Manali the first week of April. We were planning to go as far as Chandigarh by train and then ride to Manali and back. I have a few questions:
  1. Are there any bike rentals available from Chandigarh? Is that a good spot to rent bikes from? We would rather not ride all the way from Delhi.
  2. What kind of bikes are available?
  3. Approximate price per day?
  4. What kind of security do the agencies typically ask for? When I rented in Nepal last year, they asked for my passport!
  5. Are we allowed to ride the bikes out of state to Manali and back?
  6. Any reputable agencies I can contact?
  7. I would much rather prefer to have my own bike (Karizma). But it looks like I would have to take a train to Delhi (I am in Hyderabad) and then switch to another train to Chandigarh. Making sure the bike makes it through all this would be a worry, but has anyone done it before?
  8. Finally, is April a decent time to visit? Our vacation plans are rather inflexible so April it has to be. Any chance the rohtang pass will be open by April 10th or so?
Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Lali Singh in Delhi is the guy from whom all the foreigners take their Bullets for their Himalayan trip. Lali Singh has a website of his own. Do check it out. His organisation is the most professional, as he deals mostly with foreigners. I suggest you talk to him. Their bikes are also generally kept in a good state of repair so that you don't face too much problem on the road.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:45   #3
BHPian

Called Lalli. He wants a ridiculous amount of money; something like 30% the value of the entire bike just as rent for a 15 day rental AND a full value of bike as deposit. His service may indeed be good, but that's an insane price.

Any other suggestions on a good bike rental in Chandigarh?
Old 6th March 2009, 14:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
A friend and I are planning a motorcycle trip to Shimla-Manali the first week of April. We were planning to go as far as Chandigarh by train and then ride to Manali and back.
As you are going by train upto kalka/chandigarh, why don't you take your bikes by train upto chandigarh?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 6th March 2009 at 14:52.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

there are a couple of good agencies in Manali itself but you have search net or Indiamike for them.

and they should be fine if you know a thing or two about the bikes.

Although best would be to take your bike in the same train which you are travelling in.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here's one person I was recommended by a friend: Keshav - 9816003010. Also included was the recommendation that you TD every bike before you take it & if there's any issue, fix it up for you then & there.
Old 6th March 2009, 19:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

i havent come across any bike rental agency in chandigarh
will check and revert?
what bikes you looking for?
Old 9th March 2009, 11:15   #8
BHPian

Yes, I will be taking my bike on the same train up to Chandigarh/Kalka. But need a second bike for a friend who will be joining from Delhi.

Prefer an Enfield. But any 200+ cc bike would do. Let me know, thanks.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

You can speak to Jitender: 9810550243. Give him my ref (red pulsar 180).

He's not the cheapest one but he's surely got reliable bikes and can make a decent deal overall.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:25   #10
BHPian

Re: Going to Manali. Question on bike rentals

Quote:
Yes, I will be taking my bike on the same train up to Chandigarh/Kalka. But need a second bike for a friend who will be joining from Delhi.

Prefer an Enfield. But any 200+ cc bike would do. Let me know, thanks.
I am exactly in the same situation. Did you make the trip? did you get any good enfield rentals in manali?

Please suggest me the rental agency if you think its worth recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You can speak to Jitender: 9810550243. Give him my ref (red pulsar 180).

He's not the cheapest one but he's surely got reliable bikes and can make a decent deal overall.

Is Jitender from manali?
Old 8th May 2011, 15:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
I am exactly in the same situation. Did you make the trip? did you get any good enfield rentals in manali?

Please suggest me the rental agency if you think its worth recommendation.

Is Jitender from manali?
I did make the trip way back in April 09. Shipped 2 karizmas from Hyd to Delhi and then rode up. Did not rent in Delhi. On the way back, I shipped both bikes to Hyd from Chandigarh itself.
xxaarraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 19:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I did make the trip way back in April 09. Shipped 2 karizmas from Hyd to Delhi and then rode up. Did not rent in Delhi. On the way back, I shipped both bikes to Hyd from Chandigarh itself.

Did you get any good leads for bike rentals when you were in search for it? What i get is you were initially planning to get them on rent. Any leads?

I searched google and got the link for visitmanli site which is offering bike rentals. The quoted 850 INR for an enfield 35o and 1000 INR for a EF 500. I would say fair thought not a good deal.

my concern is about the condition of the bike. What if i get stuck with the wrong bike even after paying the price?

Was seeking some good references.
Old 8th May 2011, 22:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Did you get any good leads for bike rentals when you were in search for it? What i get is you were initially planning to get them on rent. Any leads?

I searched google and got the link for visitmanli site which is offering bike rentals. The quoted 850 INR for an enfield 35o and 1000 INR for a EF 500. I would say fair thought not a good deal.

my concern is about the condition of the bike. What if i get stuck with the wrong bike even after paying the price?

Was seeking some good references.
I spoke to a few people but they wanted a lot of money. I just shipped my bikes over. Sorry, cant help you more.

If you are looking for peace of mind, just ship your own bike. The train fare is very reasonable and you know what you are getting.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Manali back in 2008, and at that time got rates for anyway in the range of 200 - 600 for Bullets. You can negotiate the price, and it depends on number of hours as well

There are some shops near a Hotel called 'The New Shivalik', that rent bullets
Old 9th May 2011, 06:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Jitender from manali?
our man is from delhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks