Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 02:15   #46
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Tuticorin - Road info

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You just need to clear the nightmare known as the madurai bypass. Everything other than that is manageable.

Did chennai - tiruchendur via tirunelveli and returned via tuticorin a few months back, and set for a kanyakumari trip soon. Those sunken patches etc keep occuring but there's a reasonable amount of maintenance on this road. Raise these photographs in a grievance to the NHAI and see what they say. http://www.nhai.org/Grievance.asp or better - http://pgportal.gov.in/cpgoffice/
Looks like the Ruts were formed by Heavy Trucks running to / from Tuticorin port? I have seen similar ruts formed in NH7 highways but not this drastically.

Last edited by DWind : 16th May 2017 at 02:16.
Old 16th May 2017, 14:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Looks like the Ruts were formed by Heavy Trucks running to / from Tuticorin port? I have seen similar ruts formed in NH7 highways but not this drastically.
Port as well as the SPIC factory nearby which has huge tanker lorries by the dozen going in and out.
Old 17th May 2017, 01:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Do you think any meaningful patch-up work can be done on these such roads? In my opinion, the only solution can be entirely scraping the top layer evenly and relaying the stretch; else this would recur again.
Any patch up work on this stretch can never be meaningfully in first place. The repair activity needs to be carried out by scraping the entire layer right upto the membrane layer. But corrupt practices will probably never let it materialise.

Any planning of civil infrastructure carried out with foresight or short-sightedness combined with good/bad engineering can mean the difference between a safe ride and accident ; be it automobile engineering in vehicles or civil engineering in road and surface transport.
Old 20th May 2017, 15:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post
Any patch up work on this stretch can never be meaningfully in first place. The repair activity needs to be carried out by scraping the entire layer right upto the membrane layer. But corrupt practices will probably never let it materialise.
Even US roads don't seem to be immune from this. Look at the road in this video (well, also look at the cute puppies if you like, but for the purpose of this thread, look at the road and the deep tyre tread marks pressed into the tar)

My guess is truckers let onto the road well before the tar dried when it was just relaid.
Old 3rd February 2024, 18:50   #50
BHPian

I am planning to do a quick tour of Manapad near Tuticorin and cover the nearby Churches. Problem is I can't spend more than 4 days for this trip. I have 2 options:

1. Drive from Madras to Tuticorin - which is approximately about 700 km. I would have to split the travel to 2 part and halt midway. This would itself take 4 days.

2. Travel by train to Tuticorin and hire a self-drive car to cover the tour. Saves me 4 days of day time travel. How good is the situation in Tuticorin for self drive cars ?

Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

You can easily make Tirunelveli by late afternoon with an early morning start.

You could stay there for the night and head to Tuticorin early the next morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
1. Drive from Madras to Tuticorin - which is approximately about 700 km. I would have to split the travel to 2 part and halt midway. This would itself take 4 days.

2. Travel by train to Tuticorin and hire a self-drive car to cover the tour. Saves me 4 days of day time travel. How good is the situation in Tuticorin for self drive cars ?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 07:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drive from Madras to Tuticorin - which is approximately about 700 km. I would have to split the travel to 2 part and halt midway. This would itself take 4 days.
Tuti will take 8 hours driving time from Madras. We've been doing Tiruchendur (which is an hour away) in 10-10.5 hrs with breaks.

Besides Tuticorin is not 700 km, should be well under 600. Madurai is roughly 450 km and Tuticorin from there is 130 km.

Manapad is further south of Tiruchendur. If you are staying at a hotel, you are better off staying at Tiruchendur than Tuticorin if the places you want to visit are around Manapad.

Quote:
How good is the situation in Tuticorin for self drive cars ?
Very less likely.

Quote:
You could stay there for the night and head to Tuticorin early the next morning.
No need to go via Tirunelveli when there is a direct 4-lane to Tuticorin for years.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 08:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

596 km and approximately ten hours relaxed driving in a safari like he drives.

He may not want to drive 10 hours which is why I suggested a stopover somewhere before that. If not it is perfectly doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Tuti will take 8 hours driving time from Madras. We've been doing Tiruchendur (which is an hour away) in 10-10.5 hrs with breaks.
Old 4th February 2024, 13:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:

He may not want to drive 10 hours which is why I suggested a stopover somewhere before that. If not it is perfectly doable.
Thanks Suresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you are staying at a hotel, you are better off staying at Tiruchendur than Tuticorin if the places you want to visit are around Manapad.
Thanks Narayan.

So plan B is out. I would cover the distance to Trichendur/Manapad in one day and then drive back after 2 days.

Please suggest the ideal route. I don't trust Google maps and the Openstreet map is a pain to plan. I based my 700 km distance on Google map - from Madras to T'icorin.

One more request - please suggest some good hotels in Trichendur / Manapad and Tuticorin.
Old 4th February 2024, 14:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more request - please suggest some good hotels in Trichendur / Manapad and Tuticorin.
Try grt regency in Tuticorin. Tiruchendur hasn’t got much better than lodges though there is a very picturesque TTDC run hotel there with a lot of peacocks in the gardens. Being a temple town it is also a pure veg place, you might not want that.
Old 4th February 2024, 16:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Try grt regency in Tuticorin. Tiruchendur hasn’t got much better than lodges though there is a very picturesque TTDC run hotel there with a lot of peacocks in the gardens. Being a temple town it is also a pure veg place, you might not want that.
Though I am a Carnivore in my territory, I can be an omnivore if the situation calls for it. The way you put it, TTDC where the peacocks go for a promenade is the next port of call.
Old 4th February 2024, 18:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I am a Carnivore in my territory, I can be an omnivore if the situation calls for it. The way you put it, TTDC where the peacocks go for a promenade is the next port of call.
https://www.ttdconline.com/hotel-tam...ruchendur.html

Enjoy
Old 9th February 2024, 08:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TTDC where the peacocks go for a promenade is the next port of call.
It might be only inside the hotel premises. Outside it is a small road that leads to the Murugan temple. Temples and its nearby beaches don't go well together, like Rameswaram or Murudeshwar - beach at Tiruchendur is better not visited Few kms away either side should be ok.

If you are looking at a foodie perspective, Tuticorin would work better as it is more famous for meat specialities. Tiruchendur would be largely vegetarian being a temple town.

On the route:

Madras-Trichy bypass-Madurai bypass-Left near Airport towards Tuticorin (approximately 22nd km of the bypass road)-Aruppukottai-Tuticorin (all 4-lane)

It is 2-lane from Tuticorin and about 15 km leading to Tiruchendur it'll further narrow down, all this with traffic.

Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari road, off which Manapad is located was a 1.5 lane road with minimal traffic.

Pretty sure Google Maps also might show the same.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed