Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

@milecruncher,. Ladakh mapping of OSM is pretty good, with even parts of Leh city mapped
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@milecruncher,. Ladakh mapping of OSM is pretty good, with even parts of Leh city mapped
What is OSM
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Openstreetmap. You can either download jpg tiles(a la mgmaps) or download garmin img file from cloudmade downloads
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of getting this GPS device
Amazon.com: Magellan Maestro 4210 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics

I understand that I will have to buy maps separately.

Which maps would be compatible with this GPS unit?

And would I need to hack this unit to load maps or is it a simple upload-via-USB job?
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:45   #20
Team-BHP Support

Is very difficult, if not outright impossible to get India maps for magellan.
Stick to Garmin, or generic Windows CE units
Old 29th January 2010, 09:46   #21
BHPian

Garmin 765 vs Garmin 265

After going the different threads on GPS, I have decided to buy the Garmin GPS from US and carry it back to India.
In India, I would buy the Sat Nav maps online for 2000 INR.

Now I find primarily two categories of GPS.

The cheaper ones being Garmin 260 which is available for $130, the other being Garmin 765 availabe for $200.

Can someone help me in making my choice?

Price in an important criteria, as I am looking for a low budget value for money combination.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

The lower end models do not offer any trail recording or following capability. So make sure it has all the features you need.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
I found this on the web, OpenStreetMap, where one can use, share and contribute to free open source street maps. Detailed Information could be found at OpenStreetMap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since I own a Garmin device, I found the cloudmade (CloudMade Downloads) interesting as they have Garmin Map Files
I downloaded the same. Still waiting for my device to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
After going the different threads on GPS, I have decided to buy the Garmin GPS from US and carry it back to India.
In India, I would buy the Sat Nav maps online for 2000 INR.

Now I find primarily two categories of GPS.

The cheaper ones being Garmin 260 which is available for $130, the other being Garmin 765 availabe for $200.

Can someone help me in making my choice?

Price in an important criteria, as I am looking for a low budget value for money combination.
I just picked up a Garmin Nuvi 750 for $150 including taxes and shipping. It doesn't have bluetooth but everything else is there like mp3 player, FM transmitter, etc. I didn't need BT so I found this model pretty good although it has been discontinued.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Guys, I'm looking forward to purchase a good GPS unit with maps. Can anyone of you suggest a good one. Most of my travel comes in Karnataka, Kerala , Tamilnadu and Andhra Pradesh. Which manufacturer provides the better maps for these south states. Please suggest?

Is there is any alternate method of getting customized maps from google india maps or yahoo india maps
I recently did a CHN-BLR-CHN and CHN-CCU-CHN trip totalling appx 5000 Kms. On my Iphone 3G, I installed Sygic (MapMyIndia) navigator software purchased from apple app store for 79USD. Excellent coverage both in CHN/BLR/KOL cities as well as on th GQ highways NH5/7 / & State highways. Even in Vizag where I reached the stopover hotel at 11pm, it landed right upto the hotel without any issues.

I am not sure if the gps receiver in iphone is too good, but the realtime direction/arrow/position indicator is excellent on open roads/highways (the indicator moves as you drive alongs bents to a precision)

The distance calculated between waypoints are also 99% accurate.
Old 27th March 2010, 18:07   #25
BHPian

Mapmyindia V4.0

Has any one upgraded to Maps V4.0 from map my india.
Is it worth going for an upgrade as it costs around 1000 Rs?

Thanks in advance, MB
Old 27th March 2010, 18:32   #26
Team-BHP Support

I dont know about the versions of MMI (I own a Satguide). But some time in the past both MMI and Satguide upgraded their maps to cater about 600 cities. If the 4.0 version is about this upgrade, I would say go for it.
Old 27th March 2010, 18:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Has any one upgraded to Maps V4.0 from map my india.
Is it worth going for an upgrade as it costs around 1000 Rs?

Thanks in advance, MB

If you are on 3.0, it is a good upgrade. Current version is 4.1.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:51   #28
BHPian

I've got google maps installed in my SE P990i. This works pretty well i cities where the number of cellular towers are thickly populated. Y'day, had been to KOLAR, BANGARAPET area & was mostly following the phone. Ae the density of the cellular towers are lesser, was mostly confused a lot. Any suggestions to improve this? Incidentally, I've got vehicle tracking system (some GPRS plan) activated in my phone. Can someone suggest a cost effective way for a VFM GPS system covering SOUTH INDIA in a detailed fashion
Old 29th March 2010, 10:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
I've got google maps installed in my SE P990i. This works pretty well i cities where the number of cellular towers are thickly populated. Y'day, had been to KOLAR, BANGARAPET area & was mostly following the phone. Ae the density of the cellular towers are lesser, was mostly confused a lot. Any suggestions to improve this? Incidentally, I've got vehicle tracking system (some GPRS plan) activated in my phone. Can someone suggest a cost effective way for a VFM GPS system covering SOUTH INDIA in a detailed fashion
GPRS based mapping will not be a robust way to have GPS. Its good to buy maps, which you then store in your phone. MMI maps will cost you 2.5K. You need to check if you phone is compatible.

Google maps are good if you have a robust GPRS which also means you have a good cell coverage.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
GPRS based mapping will not be a robust way to have GPS. Its good to buy maps, which you then store in your phone. MMI maps will cost you 2.5K. You need to check if you phone is compatible.

Google maps are good if you have a robust GPRS which also means you have a good cell coverage.

its is also possible to download google maps and use it in offline mode with application's like MGmaps. I am using them on my E90 and the best part is that they are free.
The only downside is that they do not offer navigation or mapping but if its only maps that one would want and see their position on the maps with gps this mgmaps is quite good an option.

Last edited by harjeev : 31st March 2010 at 12:06.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks