Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 18:45   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad to Kakinada

Hi Guys,

I am planning to travel from hyderabad to Kakinada by car next month end and this would be first time I would be doing this route.

After checking Mapmyindia.com I got following route options

1.) Hyd - Suryapet - Vijayawada - Gudivada - Bhimavaram - Kakinada. Total of 505kms

2.) Hyd - Suryapet - Vijayawada - Eluru - Tanuku - Kakinada. Total of 513Kms

3.) Hyd - Suryapet - Khammam - Rajahmundry - Kakinada. Total of 462Kms

Kindly suggest me the best route and how much time it would take.
I would be doing this journey only during day, planning to start by 5am and I am the only person driving.
Old 28th January 2009, 18:56   #2
BHPian

I would suggest that you stick to major highways. That is, drive from Hyderabad to Vijayawada and then from Vijayawada to Rajamundry - Kakinada.

I believe the road via Khammam is pretty bad.
Old 28th January 2009, 19:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Route 3 would be the best, as you avoid the nightmare on NH9, at least from Suryapet.
Old 28th January 2009, 19:14   #4
BHPian

IndianNomad ,Even I prefer the 3 rd route. Less traffic and nice roads and more over less distance.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:10   #5
BHPian

I would recommend the 3rd Route.i.e via Khammam,Aswaraopet,Jangareddigudem and Rajahmundry.
The only problem areas are:
1.After Suryapet turn off to left towards Khammam,first 2 kms are broken tarmac,then after again the last 6kms outside Khammam are a little bad.You can cruise at 40kmph though on these rough patches.
Then after its a breeze till Rajahmundry.
2.Traffic congestion at Jangareddigudem but smooth roads.
3.The final entry to Rajahmundry town via the 2km long bridge is very bad.Its not broken but the road has huge lumps on it and your car might test its shocks!!Its a single carriageway,heavy traffic and speed would be less than 20kmph! Inside the town the whole 4 km till you reach the Express way to Vizag is full of traffic .

On the whole your speeds would vary 60-80kmph.But definitely worth a drive due to less traffic .I recently covered it in Dec'08 and compared to the other route through Vijaywada,my MJD gave a phenomenal 21KMPL on this route .It gave 16KMPL through vijayawada.So guess the advantage.
Happy Journey and do post the Travelogue.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
I would recommend the 3rd Route.i.e via Khammam,Aswaraopet,Jangareddigudem and Rajahmundry.
The only problem areas are:
------3.The final entry to Rajahmundry town via the 2km long bridge is very bad.Its not broken but the road has huge lumps on it and your car might test its shocks!!Its a single carriageway,heavy traffic and speed would be less than 20kmph! Inside the town the whole 4 km till you reach the Express way to Vizag is full of traffic .
Oh, even I faced this problem at midnight in May, 2003 near the Godavari bridge that leads to Rajamundry. There is a toll gate/ check point on the road that leads to the bridge, and there were scores of trucks on that narrow road. It took me nearly 30 minutes to get to the bridge that was only 1 km away.
Rest of the journey was a breeze.
Old 29th January 2009, 19:18   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys.

Well, majority of them have suggested route 3 which is via Khammam,Aswaraopet,Jangareddigudem and Rajahmundry. I have decided to take this route only.

If I start at 5am in the morning by what time I would be reaching Kakinada, this time I wont prefer to corss 100kmph as I am not in hurry or have any plans of doing some sightseeing in between.
And what would be the ideal places for breakfast and lunch. I would be starting from Miyapur in Hyd, so it would be 30-40 kms to cross hyd.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Well, majority of them have suggested route 3 which is via Khammam,Aswaraopet,Jangareddigudem and Rajahmundry. I have decided to take this route only.

If I start at 5am in the morning by what time I would be reaching Kakinada, this time I wont prefer to corss 100kmph as I am not in hurry or have any plans of doing some sightseeing in between.
And what would be the ideal places for breakfast and lunch. I would be starting from Miyapur in Hyd, so it would be 30-40 kms to cross hyd.
Well,total travel time would be around 9-10 hrs including Breaks with speeds upto 60kmph.I suggest anything more would damage the car on this route.
Breakfast - Some hotels just before Suryapet.Pretty good ones on either side of highway.Choose one that catches your eye.!

Lunch - Depends on how much you have covered since this route has less traffic .You may stop at Sathupally Bus stand around 90kms from Suryapet .There're a couple of them on the highway itself.Beware they are not Family restuarants!Also if you could go further by lunch time you could stop over near Jangareddigudem.some of them on the highway itself.
On the stretch after Khammam,you may not find decent family restuarants till Rajahmundry.
When I drove down that route,we had lunch in Kovvur at 3pm,at a road side Restuarant on the highway, before Rajahmundry ,since our destination was Vizag.Food was average,but ambience was good -under the trees along a canal!
So plan accordingly.
Happy Driving.
Old 5th February 2009, 17:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
So plan accordingly.
Happy Driving.

Thank you

Will post an update once I finish the trip.
Old 7th February 2012, 23:21   #10
mgh
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Kakinada

A friend of mine has to do the same trip.
Is the Khammam route still recommended?
Old 8th February 2012, 00:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
A friend of mine has to do the same trip.
Is the Khammam route still recommended?
Unless you do the trip during day time, Khammam is not the recommended route. Also most of the 4 laning is done in the Hyd - Vijayawada road. So stick to Hyd - Vijayawada - Rajamundry route to go to Kakinada. If yours is a night journey, then Khammam route is a big no-no. Day time route, you can still try Khammam road.
Check the Hyderabad - Vizag route query for updates on the Khammam route. However, I dont think anyone here has done this route recently as there are no updates on that thread. But why dont you post your query on that thread itself and see for any replies.
Link to that thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...d-vizag-4.html

For kakinada, before reaching Rajamundry, there is a place called Ravulapalem. You would need to take a right around this area.
Otherwise, you can also cross Rajamundry and then take a right near Jaggampeta and follow Samalkota - Kakinada road.
I am unsure of the road conditions for either route.
The second options is 40 kms longer. But it is through more crowded route.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 8th February 2012 at 00:55.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 08:33   #12
mgh
BHPian

Thanks for pointing me to that thread.

Most Viewed