Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:08   #1831
BHPian

^^ just downloaded both maps. ST buses are deadly, added to the list of things to watch out for! Now gonna run and get myself a portable tyre inflater to compliment the puncture kit I bought yesterday. Nothing more important than piece of mind. have a safe trip, everyone travelling this long weekend
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:16   #1832
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
ST buses are deadly, added to the list of things to watch out for!
Also watch out all diversions on NH4 between Pune & Satara. Better to start bit late as Sawyer has stated, it's safer to face these diversions in daylight. Most diversions have speed breakers, potholes and loose gravel. Few things as you would be riding on NH4.

Don't know your starting point in Pune, but try to reach Khed shivapur toll by 5:30am. This way you will have enough daylight for handling diversions.

Fuel stops: Fill tank on previous night. Next fuel stop can be 1/2 kms before Sai international at Yelur, it's BP outlet. Sai international is around 193/195 km mark from chandni chowk. Other option can be just before Nipani at BP outlet before flyover, take service road just before flyover. One fuel stop should be enough to reach Goa where you can enjoy filling tank at much cheaper rate.

Chorla/Amboli: As you are heading to North goa, prefer Amboli route than Chorla.
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:42   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
^^ that's great. I'm a newbie with this route, it'd be great to have some company if you are going by bike!
Wish I could take my bike mate! This time its with family, taking my Ritz. Me and a few bhpains ride over the weekends. Drop me a PM if your would be interested to join a Pune whatsapp group. Lot of ride discussions happen as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Hey Siddy, Since you are travelling to South Goa I would recommend you to take Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary road. This route is definitely faster than Chorla route.

The route would be Pune - Belgaum - Khanapur - Turn right after Khanapur bridge towards Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Anmod Checkpost - Mollem - Margao - Varca.

In fact I would be taking this route (in opposite direction though ) tomorrow morning. Road between Khanapur & Anmod check post is very good. Also the road after Anmod check post till Goa border is repaired. You save at least half hour of your journey by taking this route.
Thanks mate! I heard the anmod-mollem route is in bad shape. Are you 100% sure its freshly laid/repaired? Gmaps shows the same route you mentioned as well, its apparently the shortest one.
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:10   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Also watch out all diversions on NH4 between Pune & Satara. Better to start bit late as Sawyer has stated, it's safer to face these diversions in daylight. Most diversions have speed breakers, potholes and loose gravel. Few things as you would be riding on NH4.

Don't know your starting point in Pune, but try to reach Khed shivapur toll by 5:30am. This way you will have enough daylight for handling diversions.

Fuel stops: Fill tank on previous night. Next fuel stop can be 1/2 kms before Sai international at Yelur, it's BP outlet. Sai international is around 193/195 km mark from chandni chowk. Other option can be just before Nipani at BP outlet before flyover, take service road just before flyover. One fuel stop should be enough to reach Goa where you can enjoy filling tank at much cheaper rate.

Chorla/Amboli: As you are heading to North goa, prefer Amboli route than Chorla.
Thanks sukiwa. Noted, my friend stays in panjim suggested amboli too. Nice tips on the fuel stops mate! Not only have you made me more alert about the diversions, you have also saved me several bucks! Mucho gracias.
BTW I'll be starting from undri side by 5 to try and catch the khed shivapur toll like you rightly suggested.
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:39   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post

Thanks mate! I heard the anmod-mollem route is in bad shape. Are you 100% sure its freshly laid/repaired? Gmaps shows the same route you mentioned as well, its apparently the shortest one.
Road condition till Anmod check post is excellent. Newly laid tarmac between Khanapur & Anmod Check post (Via Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary). But be cautious of speed breakers on this road. Slow down wherever speed limit sign is installed. Road has been repaired between Anmod & Goa Border (#10 kms) & once you enter Goa you can simply cruise.

Trust this helps you choosing the route.
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:03   #1836
BHPian

^^Thanks a bunch mate! Added to route plan.
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:43   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Trust this helps you choosing the route.
Wow! thanks a lot. So the route --> Belgaum > Khanapur > Anmod > mollem > Varca is completely new! Just one small question, I've heard that a lot of ore trucks use this ghat. Is it true? If yes, I would take Chorla
Old 24th March 2016, 00:59   #1838
BHPian

Apologies for late reply. The days no more exist, where trucks used to pile up along NH4A.
Old 24th March 2016, 15:41   #1839
BHPian

Drove down from Mumbai yesterday. Heads up here- got stuck in traffic for about an hour just before where there are two split ways before Lonavala. Got delayed by an hour if not more.
Old 24th March 2016, 16:30   #1840
BHPian

Update, drove from Margao to Nippani this morning via Mollem - Anmod - Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Khanapur - Belgaum. Road between Mollem and Anmod is excellent. I started from Margao at 6.15 AM and reached Nippani by 9.25 AM.
Old 24th March 2016, 20:41   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Any hotels near kolhapur thats open 24x7. My friend is traveling and wants to know.
Old 24th March 2016, 20:42   #1842
BHPian

Hotel Pearl. It is good and clean. Food is excellent. If you book via Makemytrip you will certainly get good deal.
Old 24th March 2016, 20:44   #1843
Senior - BHPian

I mean for eating. Not for stay. My friend is going to goa.
Old 25th March 2016, 00:52   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I mean for eating. Not for stay. My friend is going to goa.
The McDonalds/KFC/CCD on the highway use to be open 24hrs earlier, but now since my 2 trips in the last 4 months, I have seen it closed. I also want to know of any 24X7 places in Kolhapur, coz I always travel in night to Goa.

You can check in the city near the ST bus stand, you might find the usual bhurji-pav and poha stalls. But nothing is there open in the night on the highway.
Old 25th March 2016, 10:01   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Plenty of rudimentary eating stalls immediately after almost very toll. Pav/wada, tea and cigarette kind of places and open 24/7.

Most Viewed