Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2017, 13:16   #2071
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Just returned from a trip to South Goa. I took Anmod ghat for Pune - Colva travel. The road between Belgaum and Khanapur was pretty crowded. From Khanapur, took the Hemmadaga route through the national park. This road was rough and too narrow, even for two small cars to pass each other. Overall the drive was tiresome.

We followed Chorla ghat on the way back. Roads were very good, reasonably wide, and low traffic. The overall experience was enjoyable.

I would recommend Chorla route over Anmod ghat for South Goa.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 13:24   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaafir View Post
Just returned from a trip to South Goa. I took Anmod ghat for Pune - Colva travel. The road between Belgaum and Khanapur was pretty crowded. From Khanapur, took the Hemmadaga route through the national park. This road was rough and too narrow, even for two small cars to pass each other. Overall the drive was tiresome.

We followed Chorla ghat on the way back. Roads were very good, reasonably wide, and low traffic. The overall experience was enjoyable.

I would recommend Chorla route over Anmod ghat for South Goa.
Thanks for the update. I was wondering which of the two would be better for my drive to Margaon tomorrow. Will stick to the Chorla route as you suggested.
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:14   #2073
BHPian

Some minor road updates and sharing some pics of our new car.

By God's grace, we happened to be proud owners of Volkswagen Polo day before yesterday ( VW Belgaum ). After a spin on NH4 post delivery, I went on a long drive traversing the scenic forests of Western Ghats on NH4A Belgaum--Goa highway, Jamboti--Khanapur and Chorla--Belgaum roads. Pleased to report that NH4A and Chorla roads are in a pristine condition. Initial 2-3 km part of NH4A nearing Belgaum exit is very rough, but further on its a driver's delight !

On NH4A
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-1486104813_tmp_img_20170202_225011.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20170202_130258.jpg  

Last edited by vivek95 : 3rd February 2017 at 18:20.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 12:44   #2074

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Guys, any update on the road condition between Uttur and Amboli? Last time I drove in October, the roads were pretty broken between Ajara and Amboli for the most part. Hope things have improved?
Got back last week from a road trip to North Goa over the Jan 26th long weekend. Read up on the preferred road route from the various threads posted and finally chose to take the Nipani-Uttur-Ajara-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Insuli route. Having gotten disappointed with the Pune-Satara section of NH4, Satara to Nipani was a delight (sans the frequent delays caused by the sugarcane carriers). Thereafter the Nipani to Amboli stretch was very comfortable, the roads are in great condition and no road related delays or hiccups were caused. The Amboli Sawantwadi section is in great condition too, looked as if the surface was laid new. The roads aren't narrow but would rather say adequate to get two fairly large size vehicles to cross each other without any anxiety. The beginning of the ghat section just after the Amboli village had some kind of road work going on which was the only bottleneck. Sawantwadi to Insuli was fairly ok (I didn't take the left after the Amboli ghat but chose to go via Sawantwadi town) except for a bridge construction patch somewhere midway. Overall, very satisfied with the route chosen
RandomExplorer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 21:47   #2075
BHPian

Yesterday i returned from a two day trip to Mahableshwar.

I took the Sawantwadi-Amboli-Ajara-Uttur-Nipani route.The roads from sawantwadi uptill amboli village are in great condition, except for a 30 meter diversion due to some construction work.
The road from amboli village till a little after uttur has a lot of patch work.Its not exactly a bad road, can maintain good speeds(60 to 80kmph) but if you have a car with a stiff suspension( in my case old figo), its going to be a noisy drive

Traffic on this route is negligible during early morning hours(6-7am on a saturday) and light traffic at nigh(6.30-8 pm on a sunday) but do becareful about speeding oncoming traffic that dont bother to dip their lights(got a headache later on) and slow moving locals on their bikes that dont give way if you want to overtake.
Also becareful about speeding oncoming passenger buses , i got them on the amboli-ajra route at 7.30pm. In addition to their high speeds, they dont dip their lights as well.This entire route has no street lights and is almost fully deserted .
My addvice is to avoid this route if you plan on traveling at night,or try to cover the Amboli-Ajara-Uttur route while there is some daylight left. Amboli- Sawantwadi after dark is manageable. Im not sure if the chorla route is any better but those high beams were the main culprit!

Would i still take this route? Yes, except at night!

Regards
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 12:00   #2076
BHPian

There was an entry fee of Rs.250 for motor cars to the state of Goa which had number plates from other states. Can anybody confirm whether this entry fee is still applicable? Thank you.
Old 12th February 2017, 17:54   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Brutus View Post
There was an entry fee of Rs.250 for motor cars to the state of Goa which had number plates from other states. Can anybody confirm whether this entry fee is still applicable? Thank you.
While traveling back to Goa on the 5th of February,I saw a couple of non Goan cars being stopped at the toll booth. So I guess it's still in affect.
Old 12th February 2017, 18:12   #2078
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody confirm whether this entry fee is still applicable?
I think it is very much in effect, there hasn't been any change recently on this toll. If you exit Goa the same day, it is refundable though. And it is valid for your entire stay in Goa spanning multiple days.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:14   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. This entry fee of Rs. 250 per car was introduced a few years back (2013?). Once paid at the entry point, this fee is valid for your entire stay in Goa.
Old 13th February 2017, 14:36   #2080
BHPian

I am travelling to Kolhapur from Mumbai this weekend with my family (total of 5 adults). Due to some time restrictions, we will have to start at 5.30 PM on Friday from Mumbai (Ghatkopar). I plan to reach Kolhapur by 1:30 AM. We will be driving in Baleno 2016 Petrol. Wanted advice on possible pit stops for dinner and refuelling. Also, wanted to check if there are any security concerns on the route while travelling late at night. 3 out of the 5 travellers are drivers and hence, driving should not be a problem. Please advice.
Old 13th February 2017, 14:45   #2081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuraglakhotia View Post
Also, wanted to check if there are any security concerns on the route while travelling late at night.
For sure there are no safety concerns other than usual driving caution for night drive.

I have not been keenly observing the food joints on this stretch, but know there are multiple options for the food. I would pick up a dhaba before entering Pune or right after existing Pune. Base don your timing, taking pitstop before Pune would help as by the time you are don with dinner, the traffic in city would have slowed down a bit.
abirnale is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 10:45   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Back from a whistle-stop 2 day Pune - Goa - Pune trip. Took Chorla ghat route while going and Anmod one while coming back (via Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary). Overall, both routes are in good condition, Chorla being better, as seen in the pic below. Road condition in the last 1/4th of the Bhimgad route (towards Khanapur) is not so good, with deep potholes in some places.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-chorla.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 15th February 2017 at 10:50.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 10:26   #2083
BHPian

Hello BHPians, I plan to do Pune-Goa-Pune trip over this coming weekend with my folks. Can you please let me know:

1) Which route will be ideal from Pune (Viman Nagar)
2) Pitstops for good resturants
3) Good hotel stay, probably close to all tourist destinations

This would be my first time to Goa so I could use all the useful advice. Thanks!
Old 21st February 2017, 10:34   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hello BHPians, I plan to do Pune-Goa-Pune trip over this coming weekend with my folks. Can you please let me know:

1) Which route will be ideal from Pune (Viman Nagar)
2) Pitstops for good resturants
3) Good hotel stay, probably close to all tourist destinations

This would be my first time to Goa so I could use all the useful advice. Thanks!
Answer # 1 depends on where you will stay - North or South Goa.

Answer # 2: Hotel Pankaj in Karad (right on the highway), Hotel Sai International (40 km after Karad), Hotel Ramdev in Belgaum (if you choose to go via Chorla)

Answers # 3:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-timers-9.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-stay-35.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st February 2017 at 10:35.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 20:07   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Answer # 1 depends on where you will stay - North or South Goa.
Thanks Vikram for the quick response. I basically wanted to stay in a clean place (Beaches) and with lot of peace and quiet. I was also thinking, since I am going with my folks, why not buy a 3 days and 2 night package from Pune itself. Would you by any chance have any idea for that?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks