Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 13:44   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
)Vikram, you can still stick to Belgaum - Ramanagar - Dandeli route, unless you want to try above route for the sake of time change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Thank you for this great update ! Think the authorities have lifted the ban and rightly so. If it's a smooth sailing affair, Vikram can indeed stick to the Pune--Belgaum--Khanapur--Ramnagar route as it's the best way of experiencing wilderness on your way to Dandeli.
Thanks guys, I had almost finalized Pune - Kittur - Alnavar (without going till Dharwad) - Dandeli route for my journey. I just hope that this lifting of the ban is permanent, else it might come back tomorrow to jinx my trip

@vivek95, really sorry to bother you, but would it be possible for you to confirm this with your friend who is a resident of Belgaum?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 15:46   #2492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
A quick update. Traveled yesterday from Margao to Belgaum. Surprisingly did not find even a single truck parked at the entry of Belgaum. No traffic jam, no slow moving traffic, absolutely smooth sailing till McDonald's. In fact I was at McDonald's within 2 hours and 20 minutes. Started from Margao at 2.05 PM and was there exactly at 4.25PM. (I traveled with 2 kids on board).
Your timings are super quick I think I am generally slower than normal as I would take a minimum of 3 hours for this distance in my Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

@vivek95, really sorry to bother you, but would it be possible for you to confirm this with your friend who is a resident of Belgaum?

Cheers,
Vikram
Hey that's totally cool It seems the truck ban is from 8 a.m to 12 pm and 4pm to 8pm. Unfortunately, my friend hasn't travelled in the noon slot anytime, so he too is unable to give me an exact picture. My Dad too is unaware as he said nothing is in the local news channels as such whether the ban is lifted and he has not gone to that side of the city of late.

What time are you starting and from where in Pune ?? Google maps has been showing orange to green consistently on NH4A outside Belgaum. I honestly think you can time it accordingly and stick to the Belgaum route based on @Ertigiat's update.

Last edited by vivek95 : 7th November 2018 at 15:48.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 16:48   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What time are you starting and from where in Pune ?? Google maps has been showing orange to green consistently on NH4A outside Belgaum. I honestly think you can time it accordingly and stick to the Belgaum route based on @Ertigiat's update.
I will be starting at 5 AM from Kothrud, else it starts to get really crowded at the tolls till Kolhapur. That means passing Belgaum around 10.30 AM So, I think I'll make the onward journey via Kittur, and take the Ramnagar - Belgaum route for the return, as I will be leaving Dandeli at 11 AM on Saturday.

Thanks again for your advice!!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th November 2018 at 16:50.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 23:04   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing in the Anmod ghat per se, or for that matter between Belgaum and Anmod ghat. There is no Delta equivalent of the Chorla on Anmod route. However, down the ghats, there is Doodhsagar spa resort at Mollem which is highly recommended.
Thanks for the reply. I reached Agonda beach via Anmod ghat today. A stop in between was not required, as we had breakfast at Belgaum. I am planning to stop at Doodhsagar spa resort while returning back to Pune.

Also, surprisingly did not face any traffic while passing through Belgaum city. Maybe because of Diwali.

Last edited by Ketan T : 7th November 2018 at 23:06.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 16:13   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Feel free to take the right turn from Khanapur and go via Bhimgad. It is marked correctly on Gmaps.
There is no need to drive an extra 45 minutes through Ramnagar. Just ensure that you enter Bhimgad route by 5pm; you should be fine.
Almost there forum, I am planning to take this route to Colva on Saturday morning. Any inputs on how to avoid taking a wrong route would really help at this time.

As would inputs like from Pune put Belgaum in the GPS, from Belgaum put Khanapur, once I reach Khanapur put Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary, and once there put Colva, this should be the right order right?

Apologies for being nervous, want to plan things as much as possible as its a long drive with the kids, and even small mistakes lead to a lot of hassle.
Old 8th November 2018, 16:36   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Almost there forum, I am planning to take this route to Colva on Saturday morning. Any inputs on how to avoid taking a wrong route would really help at this time.

As would inputs like from Pune put Belgaum in the GPS, from Belgaum put Khanapur, once I reach Khanapur put Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary, and once there put Colva, this should be the right order right?
Yes, thats the correct order. However, if you add Belgaum as an intermediary stop, it may locate some point in the city which is off your way towards Goa. I have put the order in Gmaps and sharing the link for you here. Follow this, you will be on right track -

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pu...3D%3D&dirflg=d
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 16:47   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Your timings are super quick I think I am generally slower than normal as I would take a minimum of 3 hours for this distance in my Polo.
I think I got plane lucky.

But a lot depends on when actually you start from Goa. In my case I started at 2 PM and by this time most of the Goa will be shut for lunch break. Which means lesser traffic on the road. This helped me to cross Ponda in 20 odd minutes. Traffic between Margao to Ponda decides total journey time. Also I do not stop in between unless my daughter complains of motion sickness.

I break down my journey in three milestones till Belgaum.

Margao to Anmod Checkpoint - 75 minutes
Anmod Checkpoint to Khanapur - 45 minutes
Khanapur to McDonald's - 45 minutes

Next time you can try these timings as your Polo will be lot quicker than my regular ride Ertiga.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 16:57   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, thats the correct order. However, if you add Belgaum as an intermediary stop, it may locate some point in the city which is off your way towards Goa. I have put the order in Gmaps and sharing the link for you here. Follow this, you will be on right track -

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pu...3D%3D&dirflg=d
Thanks for taking the time to do this, you are a life saver! Also thanks to others who guided me for route planning this time, you guys rock!
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 20:44   #2499

Just completed trip Mumbai to Goa and back.
Some info on route and (road condition)
Route followed: Mumbai - Kolhapur (excellent), Kolhapur - Belgaum (excellent, minimum traffic), Belgaum-Chorla-Goa (90% good, 10% ok, low traffic and great view, saw jackal, mongoose & butterflies &#128522
Return route: Mapusa - Amboli (20% good, 70% ok, 10% bad), Amboli - Ajara (100% bad), Ajara - Gadhinglaj - Sankeshwar (85% ok with few good patches, 15% bad & lot of local traffic)
Going and return, both took almost same time.
So would suggest to travel via Chorla if want better journey.
Dips is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 15:49   #2500
BHPian

Could I request some recommendations for fuel pumps on the way to Goa. I have a half tank full, which should probably get me another 300KMs or so easily, is it worth getting a full tank before I leave Pune, or wait for a good pump on the way. Is there any substantial monetary benefit?

If there is some place with fuel and some good food for breakfast and some clean loos, that might be perfect for us.
Old 9th November 2018, 17:28   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could I request some recommendations for fuel pumps on the way to Goa. I have a half tank full, which should probably get me another 300KMs or so easily, is it worth getting a full tank before I leave Pune, or wait for a good pump on the way. Is there any substantial monetary benefit?

If there is some place with fuel and some good food for breakfast and some clean loos, that might be perfect for us.
Fill it from Pune itself if you dont want to stop for fuel in the entire journey. I filled tank from Pune itself and came back from Goa just in one tank.

For food and clean loos, you can stop at SAI international. Has a food court and a proper restaurant too.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 11:50   #2502
BHPian

Quote:

There is a BPCL company pump on the highway after Khed Shivapur toll plaza. A McDonald's restaurant is just adjacent toll the petrol pump. You can tank up and have breakfast there. If you don't like McD, there is another small restaurant next to the fuel pump. Location:
https://goo.gl/maps/ouxs4n4BW392
Also, while returning from Goa, fill up your tank near the Goa border. Very cheap fuel.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 20:20   #2503
BHPian

Quote:

Fuel in Karnataka is Rs 3-4 cheaper than MH. If that is important to you then there are many stops including company owned pumps and Reliance after you cross the border post Kolhapur

Just completed a Mumbai-Pune-North Goa and back trip in the Hexa with spouse, kids and dog.
Thanks - Moralfibre and Yogesh for the recommendations - took the Chorla route to and fro.
Very smooth ride all the way to Mapusa almost no potholes throughout. 4 lane till Belgaum and then 2 lane but smooth through the Chorla ghat.
Just an observation though - the number of two wheelers on the highway seem to have increased substantially - occupying the left lane especially between Satara and Kolhapur - thus causing all heavy vehicles to take the left lane. Result - loads of weaving and lane changes required.

Stopped at Sai International on the onward journey for food and fuel - good clean and quick but not pet friendly.

Goa Ves on the return is pet friendly.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th November 2018 at 11:50. Reason: Back to back posts.
car.lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 11:58   #2504
Team-BHP Support

Drove to Goa on Thursday and returned on Saturday.

Onward route: Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad - Mollem - Ponda - Madgaon - Benaulim

Great roads through out barring the road between Belgaum to Khanapur. Some stretch after Bhimgad on Anmod ghat.

Return route: Benaulim - Madgaon - Ponda - Usgao - Honda - Chorla - Jamboti - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Pune

Few bad patches in Chorla ghat but great road overall.

Glad that we returned on Saturday. Twitter was full of traffic updates. Travel time between Kolhapur to Pune was a crazy 7-9 hours!! My mom left from a wedding at 2:30pm only to reach home at 10 in the night. Something needs to be done about all the tolls, exits and entry to the highway.

Diwali rush should be a benchmark of how this highway will clog in a few years on a regular day.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 11:25   #2505
BHPian

Hi

Am currently at Vagator and will be leaving for mumbai either on Thursday or Friday

While coming from mumbai i did a overnite stay at poona at holiday inn hinjewadi and set of next day 6 am . Reached Kolhapur Mac Donald’s by 9 and took a break till 930

Then following google took the Nilani/Amboli route and the roads were pathetic in most places . Had to go real slow to take care of the rft tires on the Bmw and finally reached the hotel around 2 pm

Wanted to take the chorla route on ways as roads are better from what I have ready any suggestions

Also what time should I leave goa. Was thinking of around 130 pm types

Most Viewed