Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 22:20   #2536
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Friends

Now I am a bit worried. Will it make sense to go by road at all? Don't think there is much of choice now.

Thanks
I will say observe the night traffic during weekend rush and look for the optimal time to leave. I have done Mumbai Goa starting at 11pm and reaching in the morning 10am with minimal breaks. Issue with night drive would be the bottle neck at Khandala ghat. Sometimes it may make sense to start at 3am. Roads on NH 4 are driveable during night except the bottleneck. You can take bio break early morning at one of the decent place on nh4 before you leave through chorla.

In case if you are late, say 6-7am it will be busy traffic at least till Mahabaleshwar turn. Then 22nd will just be over in reaching Goa.

Hope this helps
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 22:37   #2537
BHPian

Hi,
Any information on the Harihareshwar to Vengurla MSH4 road status ?

Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:29   #2538
BHPian

I drove to Margao on 27th Nov 2018 and returned on 2nd Dec 2018 taking the Chorla route each time. Roads were great throughout and found the driving much more comfortable compared to the narrow Bhimgad route.

The trip was uneventful accept for a very weird incident on my return journey. We were stopped at the Chorla check post where they were looking for alcohol bottles being smuggled out of Goa. A car was stopped just ahead of me and I stopped around 2-3 feet behind him. The guard found 2 bottles in that car and placed them just in front of my car (out of vision). I noticed that but when he came to check my car, I got distracted with his conversation. He gave me the go ahead as there was nothing in my car. I had hardly moved 1 feet that I heard the sound of glass shattering and realised that I had run over one of the bottles. Now the fun began – the guards ganged up and started aggressively asked me to pay a ‘fine’ for breaking the confiscated bottle. I initially retaliated saying that they had kept the bottle in front of my car and I did not go off road to break it. They were not willing to budge and I finally had to pay INR 600 which was the cost of the bottle. They obviously refused to give any sort of slip as this would go into their pockets.

I wanted to inform all the members here to be aware of such tactics these check post employees use. It seems to be a standard practice as they did the same behaviour with another car they caught (keeping the bottles on the road).

Also, what could I have possibly done differently in such a case (apart from being careful of not driving over it)? They were not even in uniform and I was not even aware if they are cops or just locals. They are aware that we do not have time to sit and argue with them so they take advantage of that.
praveen789 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 13:33   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I drove to Margao on 27th Nov 2018 and returned on 2nd Dec 2018 taking the Chorla route each time. Roads were great throughout and found the driving much more comfortable compared to the narrow Bhimgad route.

The trip was uneventful accept for a very weird
Maybe in this age of technology we should try twitting to mr Nitin Gadkari and Road ministry for such things. Let's see what they have to do it this case?
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 09:51   #2540
BHPian

Quote:

Also, what could I have possibly done differently in such a case (apart from being careful of not driving over it)? They were not even in uniform and I was not even aware if they are cops or just locals. They are aware that we do not have time to sit and argue with them so they take advantage of that.
WOW! thats weird indeed and absolutely uncalled for. Seems these guys are trying all sorts of tricks to make a quick buck . Last month on my drive back from South Goa via Goa-Mollem-Anmod-Belgaum-Kolhapur- Mumbai route, they stopped for checking bottles at the border. They checked all documents including PUC. Before letting me go the Senior mentioned that i wasn't wearing the seat belt and would have to pay fine, which of course I was. I told him very sternly infact that i'm a TBHpian i NEVER drive without my seatbelt on. That did the trick.
Coming to your last point , this is why i always advocate for dashcams which are good source of recording facts and have one almost since i have got my car.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:43   #2541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Maybe in this age of technology we should try twitting to mr Nitin Gadkari and Road ministry for such things. Let's see what they have to do it this case?
Unfortunately, I did not take any details such as name, designation or ID number of the guys there. Without any details, it would be a very lame complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Coming to your last point , this is why i always advocate for dashcams which are good source of recording facts and have one almost since i have got my car.
Guess what - I do have a dash cam that was recording this! However, the goons there did not seem to be the kind of guys who would be intimidated by those things. I wouldn't be surprised if they quoted some other weird rule and confiscated it. My main concern of arguing too long with them was they might get the locals involved and things could have got ugly for INR 600. Being in the middle of the jungle away from your regular area does not inspire a lot of confidence to pick up a fight. :(
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:46   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Whoa ! So Google has started suggesting the "Tilari route" after decades !! The Yashwantnagar route is indeed the famous Tilari route and apart from every Belgaum-ite ( me included ), only a handful of outsiders know about this route. It is very beautiful no doubt, but this road was in horrendous state for years together until it was finally relaid last year. I am still skeptical about it's current condition post the monsoons this year, considering that Chandgad Takuka receives the highest rainfall in Maharashtra at times alongside Tamhini.

I DO NOT recommend Tilari route as we don't have any updates from that region and I would not expect one as well, here on team bhp. I will explore it sometime and get back here. Please stick to the Belgaum--Chorla route for now.

I am also doubtful about Anmod shutting down altogether. The expansion work may be taken up in phased manner, but let's see how it goes.
On my trip to Goa in September had travelled via Tilari Ghat. I took Anmod ghat on the way to Goa as I was headed to South Goa and had to visit my relative near Londha. The road was fine with intermittent bad patches.
On the return journey I took the Tilari ghat as I wanted to experience the drive. The route I took was Sanquelim-Bicholim-Dodamarg-Tilari-Chandgad-Ajra-Uttur- Nipani to join NH4. The ghat itself was really in a good shape and surface has been laid recently. However connectors on either end are not in the best shape.
The ghat is tricky with sharp turns and a steep gradient and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. Tilari was on the list for a long time and I am happy to have ticked it off. The landscape was beautiful especially the plateau area after reaching the top.
Would recommend Tilari just for the pleasure of driving through the tricky section. I must have saved about 30-45 mins on the return journey compared to the traditional Chorla route but would not recommend Tilari as a time saver. The not so great road conditions before and after the ghat are a little tiring.
nikhil_d1106 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 13:38   #2543
BHPian

Route to Malvan

With Amboli Ghat in tatters what is the best way to get to Sawantwadi? The roundabout from Belgaum-Panaji seems to quite a detour.

Any recommendations?
Old 10th December 2018, 15:40   #2544
Senior - BHPian

Re: Route to Malvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
With Amboli Ghat in tatters what is the best way to get to Sawantwadi? The roundabout from Belgaum-Panaji seems to quite a detour.

Any recommendations?
Option 1: Via Kolhapur, touch NH17 at Talere using Gaganbawda ghat and proceed to Sawantwadi (Talere - Sawantwadi should be 80-90 kms).

Option 2: Via Kolhapur, touch NH17 at Fonda Phata using Phondaghat (via Radhanagari WLS) and proceed to Sawantwadi (Fonda Phata - Sawantwadi should be 60-70 kms).

No idea about road conditions in either of these 2 options, but option 2 is definitely more scenic.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:42   #2545

Quote:
Thanks for the follow up Yogesh! I think I will play it safe for my trip on 28th Nov and stick to the Chorla route. Knowing how quick the Government is in starting work, I wouldn't be surprised if the road block actually goes into effect within a week.

Planning a trip end of December from Pune and will be taking the same Chorla route - given Amboli is in tatters and Anmod is closed. I am skeptical of the traffic situation though in this scenario as last week might be rush.
Will post updates.
Also, I intend to break journey at Kolhapur or Belgaum - can someone suggest some decent stay options; I don't intend to spend much as it will be only for a few hours.
Old 10th December 2018, 17:13   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Option 1: Via Kolhapur, touch NH17 at Talere using Gaganbawda ghat and proceed to Sawantwadi (Talere - Sawantwadi should be 80-90 kms).

Option 2: Via Kolhapur, touch NH17 at Fonda Phata using Phondaghat (via Radhanagari WLS) and proceed to Sawantwadi (Fonda Phata - Sawantwadi should be 60-70 kms).

No idea about road conditions in either of these 2 options, but option 2 is definitely more scenic.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks buddy....any pointers on road conditions on either of these routes?
Old 10th December 2018, 18:03   #2547
BHPian

Important Update,

Anmod ghat is NOT closed for traffic!

I drove to Hubli & back from Margao via Mollem - Anmod, this Friday (7th December).

Road widening work is in full swing between Ramnagar & Anmod. But I am sure it will take at least couple of month or even more before they reach actual ghat. Plenty of tree chopping/uprooting needs to be undertaken.

Anmod ghat should not be a problem for people travelling from Belgaum towards South Goa as preferred route is through Bhimgad sanctuary.

People travelling from Hubli towards South Goa are advised to avoid night travelling on this route. The diversions created aren't very neat and it becomes little difficult to access between slush and hard surface. There is absolutely no issue during broad daylight.

I believe by the time the widening work reaches ghat it will be monsoon season and then section will be closed till the work is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I too have a trip to goa planned much in advance and obviously wanted to drive down rather than flying in there.

I intend to start 22nd morning and return starts on 26th noon from Goa. Had planned for Pune Kolhapur Belgaum Chorla route but had not really given any thought to the mad rush that day will see.

Now I am a bit worried. Will it make sense to go by road at all? Don't think there is much of choice now. Is there a way I can beat the mad rush by tweaking my itinerary? Perhaps leave as early as 3-4 am in morning?
What is your destination in Goa? I believe even if you start by 5.00 AM, you will not encounter much of the traffic. Folks travelling to Kolhapur/Belguam/Hubli would have left Pune by 21st evening and Mumbai people starting for their extended weekend will not reach Pune by the time you start your journey.

Sample itinerary,

Start from Pune - 5.00 AM
Breakfast break - 8.00 AM (Hotel Sai International before Kolhapur)
Reach Belgaum - 10.30 AM (You can stop for quick tea break here)
Reach Goa (South/ North ?)- 3.00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadkhan View Post
Planning a trip end of December from Pune and will be taking the same Chorla route - given Amboli is in tatters and Anmod is closed. I am skeptical of the traffic situation though in this scenario as last week might be rush.
Anmod is not closed for traffic. If your destination is South Goa you can take Anmod ghat route.

Quote:
Also, I intend to break journey at Kolhapur or Belgaum - can someone suggest some decent stay options; I don't intend to spend much as it will be only for a few hours.
Refer post # 2461 & #2466
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:09   #2548
BHPian

Hi.
I'm driving from Mumbai to goa later this week with my wife & daughter. I was planning to go via Amboli, mainly because it's a familiar route for me , and also because I like to eat at Minerva restaurant ( gaavraan chicken etc).
Is Amboli ghat a strict no for cars ? If it's a question of a few bad patches then I'd still consider it. I'm headed for Panjim , so Anmod will result in a longer drive, won't it ?
Please guide.
Thanks & Cheers.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:41   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKAM View Post
Is Amboli ghat a strict no for cars ? If it's a question of a few bad patches then I'd still consider it. I'm headed for Panjim , so Anmod will result in a longer drive, won't it ?
As of date Amboli is not the recommended route. If you like to eat non vegetarian food, you can stop at Kolhapur at Parakh or Dehati (just a couple of kms off the highway).

Recommended route for Panaji is through Chorla. There is also Niyaaz in Belgaum if you are interested and if you cross Kolhapur before lunch time. Or you can have a late lunch in Panaji
Old 12th December 2018, 11:40   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Thanks buddy....any pointers on road conditions on either of these routes?
Hi,

Sorry, no idea about recent road conditions on both these routes. The last related post I had read on Gaganbawda was this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4398298 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

Cheers,
Vikram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks