Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:15   #2731
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Just reached Goa via Amboli. The road is broken in patches before Amboli and in some places in Amboli Ghat.

Amboli ghat is damaged quite a lot due to landslide. There was hardly any traffic. At total 4 places the road has caved in and the traffic is restricted to 1 lane.
TaurusAl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 11:52   #2732
BHPian

Hello everyone

Posted this in the Bangalore Goa log, placing this in the Pune Goa log as well.

A quick update on the Anmod route.

Whilst travelling from Pune to South Goa, our route was via Belagavi. We took the Khanapur Highway. The road expansion and construction is in full swing. Albeit it will still take time.

We took a detour through the Bhimgad wild life sanctuary. Please note there isn't any network signals in most of the the forest area.

Now the interesting part, the moment you touch the Anmod ghat area the roads are in a bad shape. The ghat area is open but only 4 or 2 wheelers are allowed. The road construction is on and the latter part is a concrete road.

The exact point of KA Goa border sees a major broken road or a trench I would say and only one, mind you only one vehicle can pass. Some driving skills are tested for sure. Network signals were an issue again.

Rains in the ghat section were fairly heavy, and the visibility was poor too in some patches.

I would be returning on Monday and, would pen glaring challenges with the road if any.

Unless there's a passion to drive, which most of us do, I would advise everyone to fly down to Goa during the monsoon phase

Thanks Rish
rish27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:31   #2733
BHPian

Drove through Anmod Ghat

We started from Margao at 2.15 PM towards Belgaum on 31st August (Saturday). I did not wanted to take Chorla Ghat as local administrator announced it would be open for all sorts of traffic (it meant even truck trailers) from 31st August till 4th September. Knowing the width of Chorla ghat road I do not wanted to get stuck behind a big truck or worst case getting stuck in a traffic jam.Taking Amboli route was out of equation because reaching (rather wading through to reach) Panjim would have been mammoth task. Since couple of my friends, who traveled a day earlier to Belgaum confirmed one can drive through Anmod ghat, I opted for this route (I also wanted to ascertain road conditions myself ).

As usual after crossing Ponda there was not much of traffic and reaching Mollem was breeze. It was quite surprising to see many AP/TS/KA passing cars instead of GA passing vehicle till Mollem.

Road till Karnataka border is in pristine condition and we found road closed at Karnataka border. But locals have closed trench (by dumping rocks +mud) at one end such as only one car (and only car) can drive through. It was little scary to drive over newly laid cement road as Shoulders are not yet done, dry leaves have turned black because continuous rain & are spread across the entire width of the road with boulder looking over the entire stretch. Tress have fallen at quite few places and needed to drive with care as it was raining heavily.

Upon reaching plateau we made our way through graveled road till Anmod check post as road from RTO check post is incomplete.

At Anmod check post heavy vehicles are stopped and are asked to take alternative route. A Bangalore passing tempo traveler was not allowed go through check-post and was asked to take alternative route. Only cars are allowed post usual inspection.

Road through Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary is in good condition barring few rough patches once you enter Khanapur taluk. Only at one particular spot road is completely broken and work is in progress repair it. Vehicle are stopped on both sides and are allowed at interval of 15 minutes. Reached Belgaum McDonald at around 5.45 PM.

So will I take this road again? If it is not raining then definitely yes.

Couple of points to avoid this route,
  • Graveled road gets filled with water when it rains and there is no way one can gauge the depth of the ditch. You have to paddle through them with calculated risk.
  • Shoulders are incomplete for the ghat road within Karnataka and at certain places trees have fallen covering almost entire road.
Though small cars were able to drive through gravel from RTO check-post till Anmod check-post with some difficulty, it is risky as I could see couple of those scrapping their bottom.

But if someone wants a mild off-roading experience and ready to drive with care then this road is worth driving.

One thing that remains puzzle is how, many Bangalore passing vehicles reached Anmod as I am certain road between Anmod and Ramnagar is still incomplete.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:46   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post

One thing that remains puzzle is how, many Bangalore passing vehicles reached Anmod as I am certain road between Anmod and Ramnagar is still incomplete.
Thanks for the detailed update ! Bangalore passing vehicles might be detouring via Ramnagar--Khanapur--Bhimgad WLS to reach Anmod. I remember reading posts of some of the BHPians too who took this detour.

What is your take on taking the Tilari ghat route to Belgaum ? Any recent updates on road conditions ? One can beat the traffic on Chorla.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:18   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Bangalore passing vehicles might be detouring via Ramnagar--Khanapur--Bhimgad WLS to reach Anmod.
I do not think they are taking detour via Bhimgad WLS. I did not come across even a single vehicle with Bangalore passing number plate post Anmod.

Quote:
What is your take on taking the Tilari ghat route to Belgaum ? Any recent updates on road conditions ? One can beat the traffic on Chorla.
As far I know Tilari is closed for traffic because road collapse. People from Dodamarg reach Belgaum via Mangeli/Kankumbi/Jamboti. It is sad that newly made road collapses within months after being fully operational.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 13:00   #2736
Senior - BHPian

Hello. Does anyone have any update on Pune-Goa via Amboli ghat?
I was about to book for the coming 12th, but realized to check on the road conditions, after 3 more days of heavy rainfall.
Old 6th September 2019, 15:25   #2737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I was about to book for the coming 12th, but realized to check on the road conditions, after 3 more days of heavy rainfall.
The road conditions are not something that cant be managed. How are you planning to travel? Do ensure you cover/cross Amboli ghat during day time.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th September 2019 at 15:54. Reason: Edited for better reading
KaandBaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 16:21   #2738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
The road conditions are not something that cant be managed. How are you planning to travel? Do ensure you cover/cross Amboli ghat during day time.
If I plan to go ahead with the booking, will travel by own car following the usual routine of leaving Pune by 4-4:30 am, halt at Sai, Kolhapur by 8-8:30 and try to reach Goa by lunch time
Old 6th September 2019, 17:43   #2739
BHPian

Quote:
What is your destination in Goa?

Amboli ghat was closed for traffic last month due to landslide. Thereafter it was operational only during day time ( 6 AM to 6 PM) and was thrown open for traffic (2 wheeler and four wheeler) 24 X 7 in wake Ganesh Festival recently.

I am not aware of current road condition & as of today only Chorla ghat route remains safest bet to travel to Goa (North Goa or South Goa).
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 16:55   #2740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Just reached Goa via Amboli. The road is broken in patches before Amboli and in some places in Amboli Ghat.

Amboli ghat is damaged quite a lot due to landslide. There was hardly any traffic. At total 4 places the road has caved in and the traffic is restricted to 1 lane.
How was it on the return, assuming you used it?

I have another drive on the 11th; I wonder if Chorla is better, even if longer to Vagator.
Old 7th September 2019, 18:39   #2741
BHPian

There was a major landslide at Chorla Ghat today afternoon. Presently Belgaum--Chorla--Goa road is closed.

Source -Allaboutbelgaum Facebook page
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-fb_img_1567861664411.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 20:18   #2742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
There was a major landslide at Chorla Ghat today afternoon. Presently Belgaum--Chorla--Goa road is closed.
Oh dear. This has been an eventful monsoon. Back to Amboli, then.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 07:12   #2743
BHPian

Any update on the chorla ghat situation.A colleague is planning to leave for Kolhapur from Goa through Chorla.Any other options?
Old 8th September 2019, 09:03   #2744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Oh dear. This has been an eventful monsoon. Back to Amboli, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Any update on the chorla ghat situation.A colleague is planning to leave for Kolhapur from Goa through Chorla.Any other options?
All clear now. Vehicular movement is back to normal on Chorla ghat.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 10:19   #2745
BHPian

Quote:
Hello. Does anyone have any update on Pune-Goa via Amboli ghat? .

Drove Goa - Mumbai yesterday and Amboli ghat is in good shape, except a few patches near the waterfall. Tawandi to Ajara has few bad sections that need negotiation. The bigger mess is the roads from Banda all the way to Mapusa, which slows down progress significantly.
tiger_stripes is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed