Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 15:12   #2881
BANNED

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
This and Sankeshwar has always been an alternate route for people who wanted to avoid the Nippani route.

Though would suggest, to continue with Amboli, as per latest reports the Amboli route is in great shape. If you do wish to explore a newer route then of course the Dodamarg one is there... Would think that to be slightly longer and I believe your exit is on the Bicholim - Sanquelim road (I totally hate this stretch - damn monotonous), which would add another 20kms to Mapusa as well.

I would not mind a little bit extra time if I get a better road. Does Dodamarg road offers a decisively smoother tarmac? Ghats with bad roads are a recipe for disaster for my kid (read nausea).

Otherwise, I will stick my gun to Nipani-Ajra-Amboli or should I try Sankeshwar-Ajra-Amboli?
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 18:59   #2882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I would not mind a little bit extra time if I get a better road. Does Dodamarg road offers a decisively smoother tarmac? Ghats with bad roads are a recipe for disaster for my kid (read nausea).

Otherwise, I will stick my gun to Nipani-Ajra-Amboli or should I try Sankeshwar-Ajra-Amboli?
Nope, just checked with a friend who is a native, not good was his reply. Stick to the Amboli route, a lot of friends just returned from the Nippani route and they mentioned that there is a bit of kachha rasta (dirt road) till Ajra but post that its smooth tarmac all the way.

Edit

Detailed Information on Tilari - Dodamarg route

My friend was riding his Himalayan and returning post RM and he has shared his experience,
"I came by Tillari Ghat, completely empty as it was officialy closed for vehicles. At 3 places the road has washed off during the monsoon and is being rebuilt, bikes can pass easily and is worth going. Cars cannot pass."

Cheers,

Last edited by Trojan : 4th December 2019 at 19:18. Reason: Added details
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 02:10   #2883
BHPian

Planning a Goa Trip near the New Year and was wondering if anyone can give a definitive heads up on the route from Mumbai.

We have ways used the Belgaum-Chorla Ghat Road till now but seems that is now not an option reading the posts here.

Gmaps prefers refers Nipani - Ajara - Amboli - Banda - North Goa as the preferred route and any latest update on the same?

Also, we plan to stay in North Goa for a few days and move down to the south for the remainder of the holiday, so what would be the best way to get back to the highway from South Goa?

Thanks!
Old 9th December 2019, 07:32   #2884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

Gmaps prefers refers Nipani - Ajara - Amboli - Banda - North Goa as the preferred route and any latest update on the same?
That is by far the best route now except for the last bit; I would go through Sawantwadi after descending from Amboli, and use the road from there to Redi to reach the highway, leaving it soon after entering Goa to avoid their highway construction mess. I am not sure that the bypass to Banda is fully restored.
I haven't been to South Goa in many years, but I suspect the highway construction issues extend down to there as well. Someone more familiar with that side will hopefully chip in.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 07:39   #2885
BHPian

Any idea if Gagan Bawda is being repaired? Last month O had a really bad time going pass it. But there has been news that they have started to relay Gagan Bawda. Anyone who has recently gone through it to Vaibhavwadi?
Old 9th December 2019, 19:05   #2886
BHPian

Has Anmod ghat been reopened now ?
Old 16th December 2019, 08:54   #2887
BHPian

Any updates on this route ? Will be travelling from Kolhapur to Malvan. What should be the best route?
Old 16th December 2019, 11:26   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Any updates on this route ? Will be travelling from Kolhapur to Malvan. What should be the best route?
When I queried last week with local friends, I was advised to take Radhanagari -Phondaghat route. Gaganbawda route is definitely bad.

I am planning to go in last week of Dec. hence, no first hand information.

Please share your experience.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:30   #2889
BANNED

I am leaving on Wednesday. There is still many confusing news about road conditions.

I am till now sticking to Nipani - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Ponda route. But, would love to try Chorla, if roads are ok and open. Keeping my finger crossed.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:26   #2890
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any update on the Chorla route road conditions? I had taken both the routes about 18 months back and had thoroughly enjoyed the Chorla route.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:24   #2891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I am leaving on Wednesday. There is still many confusing news about road conditions.

I am till now sticking to Nipani - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Ponda route. But, would love to try Chorla, if roads are ok and open. Keeping my finger crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Guys, any update on the Chorla route road conditions? I had taken both the routes about 18 months back and had thoroughly enjoyed the Chorla route.
DO NOT take Belgaum--Chorla route Belgaum city is in deep mess with road construction activity going on everywhere. I was in Belgaum four days back and the situation has worsened than what it was just 15 days back. Stick to Amboli route.

If you still want to take Chorla, do plan a halt at Belgaum and leave next day early morning by 6:00 a.m.

As for Chorla road per se, the ghat section in Goa is in shambles. Karnataka part is mostly good but do watch out for those ocassional huge potholes. Check this post of mine - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4685840 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)
vivek95 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 20:08   #2892
Senior - BHPian

My view is that for any destination north of Panjim, the Nipani Ajra Amboli route is now a no brainer, as is exiting the highway as soon as one can on crossing into Goa.
I last used it end of November; by now I expect further improvements would have happened near Uttur and on the Ajra Amboli sector. There is little reason now to even use the Sankeshwar exit.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 06:53   #2893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
My view is that for any destination north of Panjim, the Nipani Ajra Amboli route is now a no brainer
For destinations south of Panjim for travellers from the north of Goa, it may make sense to stay on NH4, bypassing Belgaum completely, and then look for a road on the right that crosses the hills and enters Goa somewhere below the Zuari river, with access directly to south Goa beaches/resorts. I haven't ever done this, but others here perhaps have and can suggest routes.
Old 19th December 2019, 07:36   #2894
BHPian

Amboli ghat section towards Sawantwadi side is getting a new surface layer. Was held up for around 20 mins on 15th December while on the way to Goa groom Mumbai.

Also hopefully the authorities also look at the road conditions in the Uttur Nipani section for some urgent repairs.

Guys also watch out for interceptor vehicles for speed monitoring especially around the ghat sections of the Pune expressway. Also crossed one in the Satara Kolhapur section.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 11:51   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Planning a Goa Trip near the New Year and was wondering if anyone can give a definitive heads up on the route from Mumbai.

We have ways used the Belgaum-Chorla Ghat Road till now but seems that is now not an option reading the posts here.

Also, we plan to stay in North Goa for a few days and move down to the south for the remainder of the holiday, so what would be the best way to get back to the highway from South Goa?

Thanks!
Wow I have exactly the same plain. Start the vacation in North and then finally cool it off in South especially the chaos in North around 31st is unbearable. Please update the thread whenever you make this. I might be just following you may be literally on the road as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks