Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2019, 20:03   #2926
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
An update from my side as has already been reported except that i found quite a few more completely bad stretches of road once turning off at Nipani towards Ajra. They are completely redoing sections of road along the route and in other places the road was purely eroded off.. i regretted the decision of not checking on the condition before driving down since I'm so used to the roads. For sedans (and i was quite heavily loaded) it is seriously not advisable..
Instead of taking the right turn towards Ajra at tavandi ghat after Nippani you can continue straight till Sankeshwar bypass and take the right to Gadhinglaj, Continue straight after gadhinglaj to reach Ajra. You will join the road coming from Nipani-Uttur-Ajra before Ajra itself. This route is definitely a bit longer than Nippani-Ajra but the road surface is much better.

Quote:
to make matters worse, the popular restaurant at the Nipani turnout - Kaveri has been shut under a government seal apparently. The couple of local guys sitting there said it was sealed but had no idea for what reason or what was in store regarding reopening. Unfortunate as it was a regular lunch stop for me when driving down from Bombay before the final run to Ajra and into Goa.
There is a restaurant called Amar Veg just at the start of Tavandi ghat on the opposite side of the road where you can get good vegetarian food.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th December 2019 at 07:52. Reason: Please put space after a full stop. Please proof read your post before submission. Thank You.
Old 30th December 2019, 00:04   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokn87 View Post
Instead of taking the right turn towards Ajra at tavandi ghat after Nippani you can continue straight till Sankeshwar bypass and take the right to Gadhinglaj, Continue straight after gadhinglaj to reach Ajra.You will join the road coming from nipani-uttur-ajra before ajra itself.This route is definitely a bit longer than Nippani-Ajra but the road surface is much better.

There is a restaurant called Amar Veg just at the start of tavandi ghat on the opposite side of the road where you can get good vegetarian food.
Thanks, but now it's time for the return journey. I won't head down to Goa until end May now
Old 30th December 2019, 07:31   #2928
BHPian

@vandit you can use the same route for return journey tooto avoid the potholed ridden road from nippani to uttur.
You might face some traffic in gadhinglaj town though depending on what time you pass through it

Last edited by Sheel : 30th December 2019 at 07:50.
Old 30th December 2019, 09:59   #2929
BHPian

Looking at all the posts above, it seems that Amboli-Ajra route might be the only option for us to return. Latest google maps search doesn’t even feature this route. Anyone Here with the latest update on chorla route to Mumbai please?

Also could someone please post the gmap link of the route taken in post 2923? That seems to be an option.

Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:14   #2930
BHPian

This seems to be the route taken by PGNarain

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wp8sMphao6aQhJYr8

If you are leaving from South Goa then this is the logical route. One can expect heavy traffic coming towards goa if you are leaving on 30 or 31 December.
Old 30th December 2019, 16:27   #2931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokn87 View Post
This seems to be the route taken by PGNarain

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wp8sMphao6aQhJYr8

If you are leaving from South Goa then this is the logical route. One can expect heavy traffic coming towards goa if you are leaving on 30 or 31 December.
Thanks Alok. I’ll be leaving from north goa (Candolim to be precise) and on 1st January. The route that you’ve shared seems to be longer for me at least. I think I’ll have to stick to Amboli Ajra route
Old 30th December 2019, 18:00   #2932
Senior - BHPian

For all leaving North Goa - as in north of Panjim - for Pune/Mumbai. the best route at this time is to stay on the Aguada Siolim Pernem road and meet NH 17 to Mumbai a few kilometres north of Pernem. Then stay on the NH till 6-7 kms past the MH border crossing, till the Redi exit to the left, and using it, go right under the NH to Sawantwadi and thence to Amboli. If you are able to be at Amboli before 6 am, it is probably better to go via Gadhinglaj to NH4 at Sankeshwar; any later and Ajra Uttur to Nipani on NH4 is faster, even on a poorer surface post Uttur.

I am close to sure that no alternative will offer better surfaces overall and sure that none will be faster.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 19:22   #2933
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Guys, leaving for Goa day after tomorrow. The only route shown by Google Maps is the Anmod Ghat route. Amboli and Chorla routes aren't even appearing on the map.

What do you guys suggest? Any new update? Additionally, we will be staying in Vasco and our ride is the 2014 Jetta.
Old 31st December 2019, 17:42   #2934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Guys, leaving for Goa day after tomorrow. The only route shown by Google Maps is the Anmod Ghat route. Amboli and Chorla routes aren't even appearing on the map.

What do you guys suggest? Any new update? Additionally, we will be staying in Vasco and our ride is the 2014 Jetta.
I traveled on Chorla route from Goa to Pune on 29th December. Entire route is fine. All the potholes in Chorla ghat are filled up. Only while crossing Belgaum (Belgavi) there will be little delay as 4 laning of stretch of about 3 kms along Tilakwadi is going on.

If you ask google that will show you Tilari ghat route but best is to avoid it as it is narrow, steep and lonely. In google maps ask for directions to Chorla rather than Goa/ Vasco, etc. After you descend Chorla ghat ask for route to Vasco. Same on return.

If you choose to go via Amboli, as suggested by some members go till Sankeshwar and take exit to Gadhinglaj rather than taking Tawandi ghat exit. Also, after entering Goa take detour shown by Google maps to avoid delay due to road works between Patradevi and Mapusa.

Best in my opinion is Chorla route.

Some additional information for those going to Goa via Kankavli.

After Kolhapur, till 4 kms before Radhanagari road is fine. After that Upto Radhanagari and almost 4 kms after Radhanagari condition is bad. Again 3-4 kms around Dajipur road is bad. Once you hit NH66 till Kudal four laning work is going on. One side is ready and under use. However, at 3-4 locations construction of flyover is going on. After Kudal till Patradevi border road is excellent. Once you enter Goa four laning work is going on till Mapusa. Again, part road is ready but construction of flyovers is hindrance.

There is news that Chorla Ghat will be closed from 1st January. However, it will be closed only for heavy traffic i.e. trucks and buses as Anmod Ghat that was closed for heavy vehicles will be open for that traffic. Road between Belgaum and Ramnagar is bad in patches.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st January 2020 at 13:06. Reason: Please see the Mod Note above. Thank you!
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 08:19   #2935
BHPian

I am leaving for Pune from South Goa Colva, wondering which route to take. I am driving a sedan with kids and luggage so don't want to avoid bad roads. Any suggestions , i checked the route shared by PGNarain which goes via anmod. Is that the best option to take now in the current situation. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 1st January 2020, 16:30   #2936
BHPian

Was looking forward to taking Tilari on the way out of Mapusa, but was advised by a few people against it as not only was it already heavily crowded with the TS and KA registered traffic, but was told that the steep grade and single lane was a bit risky with the heavy traffic rush out of Goa.

So now I'm back to considering Amboli with the Gandinglaj detour to avoid the bad stretch near Nipani
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 16:59   #2937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
So now I'm back to considering Amboli with the Gandinglaj detour to avoid the bad stretch near Nipani
The Gadhinglaj detour is longer - two sides of the triangle compared to the Ajra Uttur Nipani hypotenuse. And if you get caught up in the sugarcane trailers and the town approaches traffic, that compounds the delay even further; which is why it makes sense only if one can pass through that sector while most are in bed. You need to reach Amboli by 6 am for that.

The Nipani stretch is bad for a short time, but even sedans can cope easily if slowly driven.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 18:19   #2938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Please update on road conditions after your trip. Planning Mumbai trip in mid January
Just reached Mumbai via Amboli - Nipani. Road conditions are much better than what they were a couple of months back. Only a stretch near Karnataka border has practically no road and muddy surface. Rest all is pretty drivable.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 18:42   #2939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
I traveled on Chorla route from Goa to Pune on 29th December. Entire route is fine. All the potholes in Chorla ghat are filled up. Only while crossing Belgaum (Belgavi) there will be little delay as 4 laning of stretch of about 3 kms along Tilakwadi is going on.

If you ask google that will show you Tilari ghat route but best is to avoid it as it is narrow, steep and lonely. In google maps ask for directions to Chorla rather than Goa/ Vasco, etc. After you descend Chorla ghat ask for route to Vasco. Same on return.

If you choose to go via Amboli, as suggested by some members go till Sankeshwar and take exit to Gadhinglaj rather than taking Tawandi ghat exit. Also, after entering Goa take detour shown by Google maps to avoid delay due to road works between Patradevi and Mapusa.

Best in my opinion is Chorla route.

Some additional information for those going to Goa via Kankavli.
Thanks so much. This is super helpful. Even I get some odd options when running google maps end to end so helps to know on ground situation and then set maps accordingly.
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:49   #2940
BHPian

So a quick update on my travel back from North Goa yesterday (1-Jan-2020) to Mumbai.

Started at 12:35 PM from Candolim, reached home (Ghatkopar, Mumbai) at 12:30 AM. Point to point travel (with 4 breaks of about 15 minutes each) done in 12Hrs. Total driven kilometers for the round trip was ~1,500Kms.

took the Amboli - Ajra - Uttur route based on insights of this thread. To my surprise, or maybe due to my dwindling expectations, roads were much better than what I faced while traveling to Goa a week back. Brand new tarmac after Ajra for a few kilometers covering the stretch that was uprooted totally then. Work is in progress on a war footing basis. Expect the route to be back in shape maybe within a month

While leaving Goa, took the interior stretch passing through Siolim. Spent maybe 5 minutes more than what gmpas claimed of if I had to take NH66. Totally worth it.

Faced a little bit trouble on the Sawantwadi stretch up to the base of Amboli Ghat. That was because I took the route suggested by Google Maps which took us through a very horrible and narrow road bypassing the sawantwadi town. This road is so narrow that it could fit only one car and you will have to put all your driving capabilities to test if a vehicle appears from the opposite side. I had my share of luck and faced only 3 on this 11km long bypass road (if you can call it a road)

And then there are a couple of places after Satara - right before Pune - where the 'never-ending' diversions create havoc. At least a 30 minutes delay in total. I have been seeing these diversions for the past 5 years, believe me. There is wild grass growing on the halfway abandoned flyovers they are trying to raise. So many years this construction going on for.

And the cherry on the cake - lesser traffic on Pune bypass and absolutely no congestion after entering Mumbai were the benefits of leaving late from Goa and coming back on a day that was a holiday in general.
1lokesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks