Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 12:03   #2956
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Vivek95,

Thanks for posting the video.

I am headed to Goa on the 5th. I normally go through Belgaum to use the Chorla Ghat but am a bit wary of Belgaum now after reading about the concretisation being done on all major roads.
My final destination is Assagao (near Mapuca) so is it worthwhile me using the Tilari ghat? You have mentioned that the ghat road is just 7 Kms long. Is that correct? My wife suffers from motion sickness so a short ghat would be a bonus.

My main priorities are :
1. Good roads - Extra distance/time does not matter.
2. Minimum ghat sections.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
SS
Yes, it is worthwhile using Tilari ghat given its present condition. Also, if your priority is minimal ghat section, then Tilari ghat is the only one that is under 10 kms ( 7 kms to be precise ). But do keep in mind, the ghat is very steep and tight, akin to Matheran ghat near Mumbai. Traffic is also very light on Tilari ghat presently and you have only one good restaurant near the ghat section named as "Hotel Green Park". Please go through my earlier post on Tilari route to know the exact condition of the road all the way from Belgaum.

All other ghat sections are above 12 kms viz. Amboli - 15, Anmod - 17 and Chorla - 17.5 kms

Last edited by vivek95 : 4th February 2020 at 12:04. Reason: Spellcheck
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 12:45   #2957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Yes, it is worthwhile using Tilari ghat given its present condition. Also, if your priority is minimal ghat section, then Tilari ghat is the only one that is under 10 kms ( 7 kms to be precise ). But do keep in mind, the ghat is very steep and tight, akin to Matheran ghat near Mumbai. Traffic is also very light on Tilari ghat presently and you have only one good restaurant near the ghat section named as "Hotel Green Park". Please go through my earlier post on Tilari route to know the exact condition of the road all the way from Belgaum.

All other ghat sections are above 12 kms viz. Amboli - 15, Anmod - 17 and Chorla - 17.5 kms
Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your prompt response.
Our plans have changed a bit.
We were supposed to leave tomorrow with another car.
Now leaving on Friday - alone. Home Minister is not keen on using a strange road (I have never used Tillari before).
Any idea how the Amboli road is?
Would it be better to go in from Nipani or Sankeshwar? How is this stretch of 100 Kms from the turn off off the highway to Sawantwadi? And after Sawantwadi to Mapuca?
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 12:26   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your prompt response.
Our plans have changed a bit.
We were supposed to leave tomorrow with another car.
Now leaving on Friday - alone. Home Minister is not keen on using a strange road (I have never used Tillari before).
Any idea how the Amboli road is?
Would it be better to go in from Nipani or Sankeshwar? How is this stretch of 100 Kms from the turn off off the highway to Sawantwadi? And after Sawantwadi to Mapuca?
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.
SS
Sorry for a late response. I am not sure about the road conditions from Nipani ( Tawandi ghat ) to Ajra, but Sankeshwar--Gadhinglaj--Ajra--Amboli is decent to very good. I had driven here recently just to explore the Amboli to Sankeshwar stretch.

Many diversions from Sawantwadi to Mapusa but absolutely nothing to worry.
Old 9th February 2020, 19:02   #2959
BHPian

Hi Guys,

First of all : @Vivek95 : Thank you for your inputs. Much appreciated.

Drove down to Goa 2 days ago.It’s been quite a while since I last drove this route due to the various horror stories of the road conditions. I would rather fly than subject my car to a "thrashing" for no rhyme or reason. I am also lucky to have the added advantage of having a car in Goa so don’t have to worry about being fleeced by the local taxi mafia.
As I have just bought a car, I did not have a “Fastag” . The RC card had not been received yet.

Route :
Andheri Lokhandwala Complex – SCLR – Vashi – Poona – Satara – Kolhapur – Sankeshwar – Gadhinglaj – Ajra – Amboli – Dhanoli – Banda – Mapuca.
Bombay to Poona (Hinjewadi) :
Nothing much to note on this stretch. There is a new food court with a “Starbucks” and other chains opened just after the first toll booth. There is also a proper puncture repair shop with Nitrogen and Air open 24 hours. Plenty of parking. Washrooms were O.K. The toll line on the Expressway took quite a while which was surprising as they are normally pretty fast. When questioned, the operator said his fingers were too cold to punch the keyboard!! No answer to that really. It was 14C outside temperature. However, as toll booths go, things were going to get a lot worse!!
Truck traffic on the ghats was as unruly and undisciplined as ever – blocking all 3 lanes. All the cars were doing the usual zig-zag routine.

The first toll booth after Poona (Anewadi or Khed/Shivpur) was a disaster. We were stuck here for about 24 minutes.

Do note that if you do NOT have a “Fastag” then you can only use the last two lanes on the extreme left for cash payment. However, this is not mentioned anywhere and you only find out when you get close to the booth. A friend had told me about this so I stuck to the left lane and, as we were there for so long, noticed that the “Fastag” lane was not moving a lot faster than ours. Was chatting with the local hawkers to pass the time and they all claimed that “Fastag” is a total waste of time and money and the system doesn’t work most of the time. Stopped soon after the first toll to use the rest room at McD’s and grab a coffee.

The second toll booth was almost as bad. Took about 18 minutes here.
I think it was after the second toll that we stopped at a Hotel called “Vegas” which advertised a buffet breakfast for Rs. 89.00. It was O.K. Quite a variety and the “poha” and “upma” were pretty good. Anyway, for 89 bucks one dare not complain!! Washrooms were O.K. Smelly but clean.
The next 2 toll booths were better taking about 13 and 7 minutes.

Khambataki Ghat was in good shape but again the “heavies” were blocking both lanes so it was back to zig zagging. The main highway was overall in pretty good condition and one is easily able to maintain speeds of 90-100 kmph. However, getting stuck behind slow moving trucks meant an average speed of 60 was maintained. The service roads at the sides of the “flyover’s” are in pretty good condition. Sadly, I don’t think these “flyover’s” will be completed in my lifetime.

Stopped at Sai Inn International for a cold coffee. Washrooms were clean as usual.

The last booth – Kognoli in Karnataka – was the best. Security guys directing you where to go, no traffic queue’s meant less than 2 minutes! Way to go. Total of 1 hour 30 minutes at all the toll booths. I did not have a “Fastag” but I think even if I did, I would have saved a maximum of 20 minutes only.

We turned off at Sankeshwar to proceed to Gadhinglaj, Ajra and Amboli. For a State Highway, this road is in pretty good condition. The only issue is that the surface is sort of “wavy” (but smooth – as in no potholes) leading to a “lumpy” ride. Yes, you can maintain speeds of 70 – 80 kmph but your passengers will not be very happy. From Ajra to Amboli there are some bad patches but, honestly, nothing to talk about. Can easily be handled by a hatchback. I had a few WagonR’s go flying past me on the bad stretches. I guess they don’t care about their cars very much. The Amboli Ghat itself was also in good condition. Just one bad patch – where the waterfall usually is – and there is a huge pothole here. At least 12 inches deep. Road work was in progress leading to one way traffic here so further delayed! After descending the ghat Google suggests you turn left and use the Dhanoli road. I was sceptical as this road used to be a mess but stopped and asked 2 policemen who were sitting at the turn off and they said the road was “tak-a-tak”!! I guess I should have clarified what exactly they meant by that.
Actually it’s only about 40% of the road that is bad and even there you can manage 20-25 kmph. The other 60% is pretty good and one can maintain 50-60 kmph speeds. The road is now wide enough to allow 2 cars to pass anywhere compared to a few years ago when it had a couple of really narrow sections. Had to stop on this road for a while as my wife was extremely ill after Amboli Ghat.

Once out of Dhanoli, you pass Banda and then into Goa. Major roadworks are in progress in Goa but the diversions are in O.K. condition so again, you can average about 60 Kmph. However, it’s sad to see the destruction of age old trees and greenery in the name of development. Really makes one want to cry.

Finally entered Mapuca at 5.20pm. The journey took a total of 11 hours and 30 minutes. Seems to get longer every year. It was a mistake to have taken Amboli Ghat. Better to have gone via Belgaum and the Chorla Ghat – but that’s another story!
suzuki san is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 12:16   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first toll booth after Poona (Anewadi or Khed/Shivpur) was a disaster. We were stuck here for about 24 minutes.
Do note that if you do NOT have a “Fastag” then you can only use the last two lanes on the extreme left for cash payment.
Thanks for this update. Even for a cash only lane, 24 minutes is ridiculous efficiency by the booth operators. It didn't take that much even on a long weekend earlier. At what time (approx) did you cross Khed Shivapur toll? Also, was it a weekday?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th February 2020 at 12:23.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 19:05   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks for this update. Even for a cash only lane, 24 minutes is ridiculous efficiency by the booth operators. It didn't take that much even on a long weekend earlier. At what time (approx) did you cross Khed Shivapur toll? Also, was it a weekday?

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi Vikram,

You are absolutely right. Really frustrating and literally at the start of the journey.
It was a weekday (Friday) and the time was probably about 09.30 as we had passed Hinjewadi at 08.30. The toll booth operator was a female and when I asked what the problem was she said "The computer is slow"!! Seeing as how this lane was taking the longest time, I think it was the operator who was "slow"!!

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 14:29   #2962
BHPian

Hi All,

I am driving to Goa on the 21st from Pune. I have a pretty good idea of roads till Kolhapur since I travel there frequently but no idea past that. Which route is better - via Amboli or Chorla?

I will be travelling with my wife in an Ecosport with the dreaded 17 inch Ecopias so the less bad patches the better. Please suggest which one is better.
Old 19th February 2020, 16:03   #2963
BHPian

I often do Mumbai-Goa trips. Usually prefer the Nippani-Ajra route, road is not exactly good but my Duster takes it like a champ. No vehicle complaints at all, ride quality continues to impress. As a matter of fact I did this route in heavy monsoon as well, water was flooding through the road (or lack of it) and through the villages (was sad to see farms and livelihoods washed away). While I enjoyed the drive, I was lucky enough because the very next day flooding increased & whatever roads left along with the cars were washed away. When I took this road in winter, saw repair work going on in full steam. They are even increasing elevation of road in some patches to withstand the floods. But giving in to wife's warnings, I have decided to avoid this road in rainy season for good.

I tried Gadhinglaj--Ajra--Amboli route recently, and its quite good. Especially while going back to Mumbai, I find it a good option. Don't miss the last petrol pump on border before entering Maharashtra & fill your tank with cheaper fuel

While Belgaon route option has better road, I always avoid it because of absolutely irritating traffic through city & even on Chorla ghat. Unless passing it very late night or early morning, Belgaon route isn't my choice for Goa trip.
ndp88 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 09:05   #2964

I have driven from Wakad, Pune to Vengurla on 19th Feb. We took the Nipani, Ajra, Amboli route.

We started from Pune at 6:00 am and took a halt at Hotel Manas near Satara for breakfast. The highway from Satara to Nipani had heavy truck traffic plus the sugarcane tractor-trailers. This meant we were stuck at 50 kmph or less on large stretches.

The toll booths were a breeze probably it was early on a weekday.
After the Nipani turnoff, we dreaded the bad roads till Amboli. However, to our pleasant surprise, most of the roads were fully repaired and work was in full swing for the rest. I am comparing this to the Christmas break when the road was really bad.

We stopped at Phadkewada@Ajra for a quick lunch. Amboli ghat was pretty empty. The roads in Konkan were good as always. We reached Vengurla at 2:30. It was an 8:30 hour trip including an hour for breaks. Since the roads were great we did not feel fatigued.
Rustom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 14:48   #2965
BHPian

Just finished a return trip to Candolim, Goa from Fursunghi Pune.
Onward Journey -
From Fursungi, took the Saswad-Narayanpur road to join the Bangalore highway at Kapurhol. This road has quite a few under construction stretches. Be careful.
Onwards took the amboli ghat avoiding the sawantwadi to join the NH66.

As mentioned by other members above, Amboli ghat is in decent condition. There are bad/under construction stretches but still easily doable in a hatchback.

On the return journey, took the tilari ghat to join the NH48 next to Nippani. It joined just next to the Goa ves hotel.
Tilari ghat section - road was recently surfaced and was very nicely done. Past ghat and before, there are still bad stretches around so not all very smooth. Its a decent alternate to amboli. less traffic, decent roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Hi All,

I am driving to Goa on the 21st from Pune. I have a pretty good idea of roads till Kolhapur since I travel there frequently but no idea past that. Which route is better - via Amboli or Chorla?

I will be travelling with my wife in an Ecosport with the dreaded 17 inch Ecopias so the less bad patches the better. Please suggest which one is better.
I think Amboli would be the better bet. Had not heard good about chorla in the recent times. I covered the Amboli easily in my 195/55 R15 profile tyres. I think 17inchers would do just fine. nothing to worry. Where in goa are you headed to?

Last edited by jayakumarkp : 20th February 2020 at 14:51. Reason: Added reply to previous post.
jayakumarkp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 00:12   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
I think Amboli would be the better bet. Had not heard good about chorla in the recent times. I covered the Amboli easily in my 195/55 R15 profile tyres. I think 17inchers would do just fine. nothing to worry. Where in goa are you headed to?
Thanks for the info. I am headed to Candolim. Actually one of my colleagues took the Amboli route last month in his Honda Amaze and told me the roads were not good/under construction. Hence, the confusion.

Driving tomorrow morning. Planning to take the Chorla ghat route while going and the Amboli route while returning. I'll update once I am through with the trip.

Thanks a lot!
tp_dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 08:21   #2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Thanks for the info. I am headed to Candolim. Actually one of my colleagues took the Amboli route last month in his Honda Amaze and told me the roads were not good/under construction. Hence, the confusion.

Driving tomorrow morning. Planning to take the Chorla ghat route while going and the Amboli route while returning. I'll update once I am through with the trip.

Thanks a lot!
Your friend was correct. The roads were bad in very late December. The repair work has be carried out very quickly.
Rustom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 10:17   #2968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
On the return journey, took the tilari ghat to join the NH48 next to Nippani. It joined just next to the Goa ves hotel.
Tilari ghat section - road was recently surfaced and was very nicely done. Past ghat and before, there are still bad stretches around so not all very smooth. Its a decent alternate to amboli. less traffic, decent roads.
Hi, if possible, could you please post a Gmaps link to the route you took via Tilari ghat on your return journey? It sounds like an interesting alternative to Amboli & Chorla, without going all the way till Belgaum.
Old 21st February 2020, 13:24   #2969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi, if possible, could you please post a Gmaps link to the route you took via Tilari ghat on your return journey? It sounds like an interesting alternative to Amboli & Chorla, without going all the way till Belgaum.
Here you go. But it's from Candolim to Pune though.

Shared route
From (15.5325389,73.7611437) to Home via NH 48.

9 hr 12 min (431*km)
9 hr 12 min in current traffic
Avoiding ferries

1. Head northeast
2. Turn right toward Holiday St
3. Turn right onto Holiday St
4. Turn left onto Aguada - Siolim Rd/Candolim Rd/Fort Aguada Rd
5. Turn right onto Chogm Rd
6. At the roundabout, continue straight onto Calangute - Mapusa Rd
7. At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on Calangute - Mapusa Rd
8. Turn right
9. Turn left onto NH 66
10. At Karaswada Jct, take the 4th exit onto Mapusa - Bicholim Rd
11. Exit the roundabout onto Mapusa - Bicholim Rd
12. Continue straight past Assnoda Paar onto SH 2
13. Turn left
14. Slight right
15. Turn right onto Mateshvar Rd
16. Turn left
17. Turn left
18. Slight right
19. Turn left onto Redi - Belagavi Rd/Sawantwadi Rd/Vengurla - Belgaum Rd
20. Continue straight onto Gadhinglaj Chandgad Rd
21. Turn right onto Amboli Gadhinglaj Rd
22. Turn left onto Nipani Gadhinglaj Rd
23. Turn right onto Shendri Rd
24. Turn right
25. Turn left onto Hitni Rd
26. Turn left onto National Hwy Service Rd
27. Turn right onto Nipani Gadhinglaj Rd
28. Turn left onto NH 48
29. Continue straight past Hotel Gauri to stay on NH 48
30. Slight left
31. Slight left onto NH 48
32. Keep right
33. Merge with NH 48
34. Turn left toward Pune - Satara Rd
35. Turn right onto Pune - Satara Rd
36. Turn right onto Katraj Ghat Rd/Pune - Bengaluru Hwy/Pune - Satara Rd
37. Continue straight through Katraj Chowk onto Katraj-Satara Rd/Pune - Bengaluru Hwy/Pune - Satara Rd
38. Continue straight onto Pune - Satara Rd/Sadguru Shree Shankar Maharaj Flyover
39. Slight left onto Bangalore Hwy Flyover/Swargate Flyover
40. Slight right to stay on Bangalore Hwy Flyover/Swargate Flyover
41. Continue straight onto Shankar Sheth Rd
42. Merge with Shankar Sheth Rd
43. Turn left at Indira Gandhi Chowk onto Castellino Rd/Mumbai Hwy/Mumbai - Pandharpur Rd/Pune - Solapur Rd/Solapur Rd
44. Turn right at Indira Gandhi Chowk onto Gurudwara Rd
45. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit
46. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit
47. Turn right onto Mayo Rd
48. Turn left onto Akluj - Phule Nagar Rd/Prince of Wales Dr Rd/Richardson Rd (Ashoka Marg)
49. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Akluj - Phule Nagar Rd/Koregaon Park Rd
50. Turn right after the petrol pump (on the right) onto Koregaon Park Rd/N Main Rd
51. Turn left onto East Ave
52. At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on East Ave
53. Turn right at Mulik Chowk onto Kalyani Nagar - Wadgaon Sheri Rd/Wadgaon Sheri Rd
54. Turn right onto Brahma Sun City Rd
55. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit
56. Exit the roundabout
57. Turn left
58. Arrive at location: Bramha Suncity
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/82VUKr2V5xVfWMSS8
jayakumarkp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:04   #2970
BHPian

Hello,

Request update on route from Belgaum to Chorla ghat (beginning), and Belgaum to Anmod ghat (beginning) roads? Would be travelling through them mid next week. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed