Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 11:42   #3076
BHPian
 
vivek95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 564
Thanked: 3,949 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
So sharing the screenshot of my map timeline, we had not switched on the maps for major part of this route though.

Yes, Amboli Ghat and Ajara did come. I remember Ajara because firstly the road through Ajara had like deep craters that even the Endeavor behind me was being careful about and because I saw Ajara Mumbai buses in the town.

Attachment 2081179

This is what my timeline shows on the maps.

A more zoomed out version of the route.

Attachment 2081181


Amboli ghat was good, as in, I was doing 3rd gear engine braking most of the way, but before that and after that was when things got horrible.

The first few kilometers after Nippani were okay too. I mean an occasional section or a huge pothole somewhere, but nothing that bad.

Looking at the picture, can you suggest if this was the right route or I missed something somewhere?
Did you surely pass Uttur town ?? Because only possiblility that now remains is if you drove through Gadhinglaj--Ajara instead of driving straight through Uttur and then onto Ajara. I am saying this since you mentioned, you didn't switch the route for the most part. May be you took a little detour via Gadhinglaj where in the condition of the roads is little questionable.
vivek95 is offline  
Old 17th November 2020, 11:44   #3077
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,618
Thanked: 4,196 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The route is correct. I am not so sure why this route is marked as excellent by everyone except your bad experience. Maybe it is an expectation issue where you thought it would be NH like. But even then, the undulations I experienced were very very nominal in most places. Ajara town might have an odd broken patch but for the total 100 odd km from Nipani to Sawantwadi, it may not be < 5% of total.
I have added a more zoomed out picture, see if that looks like the right one.

One more observation, at the end 60-65 kilometers till the highway exit for Goa, I was alone on the road or at the most a car or two in those 2-2nd half hour. A BMW and an I20 passed, but it was all desolate, empty and kind of scary at many points. I was surprised because I had been to Goa in March and had taken this same Nippani route and it was amazing time that, I mean there were some kilometers at the start that time which were absolute tatters but good after that.

While coming back we had taken the Anmod route that time passing through two wild life sanctuaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Did you surely pass Uttur town ?? Because only possiblility that now remains is if you drove through Gadhinglaj--Ajara instead of driving straight through Uttur and then onto Ajara. I am saying this since you mentioned, you didn't switch the route for the most part. May be you took a little detour via Gadhinglaj where in the condition of the roads is little questionable.
I don't remember Uttur, but I remember Ajara, Amboli Ghat for sure, I mean I can't miss Amboli Ghat, its a downhill for quite a long time.

Last edited by humyum : 17th November 2020 at 11:46.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:46   #3078
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 387
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Attachment 2081179

This is what my timeline shows on the maps.

A more zoomed out version of the route.

Attachment 2081181


Amboli ghat was good, as in, I was doing 3rd gear engine braking most of the way, but before that and after that was when things got horrible.

The first few kilometers after Nippani were okay too. I mean an occasional section or a huge pothole somewhere, but nothing that bad.

Looking at the picture, can you suggest if this was the right route or I missed something somewhere?
The route is correct, except the part where you have turned off on the Bavlat - Banda route, which has gone a little bad in patches, otherwise you were on the best route.
Amboli in 3rd gear is as good as it can get, any faster and it will be scary.

Well I guess good roads are a relative subject, occasional potholes and craters are expected but yes nearly the entire stretch is fairly butter smooth and easy going.
And plus I guess you have not experienced this route at its worst.
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:51   #3079
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,618
Thanked: 4,196 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Did you surely pass Uttur town ?? Because only possiblility that now remains is if you drove through Gadhinglaj--Ajara instead of driving straight through Uttur and then onto Ajara. I am saying this since you mentioned, you didn't switch the route for the most part. May be you took a little detour via Gadhinglaj where in the condition of the roads is little questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The route is correct. I am not so sure why this route is marked as excellent by everyone except your bad experience. Maybe it is an expectation issue where you thought it would be NH like. But even then, the undulations I experienced were very very nominal in most places. Ajara town might have an odd broken patch but for the total 100 odd km from Nipani to Sawantwadi, it may not be < 5% of total.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
The route is correct, except the part where you have turned off on the Bavlat - Banda route, which has gone a little bad in patches, otherwise you were on the best route.
Amboli in 3rd gear is as good as it can get, any faster and it will be scary.

Well I guess good roads are a relative subject, occasional potholes and craters are expected but yes nearly the entire stretch is fairly butter smooth and easy going.
And plus I guess you have not experienced this route at its worst.
I guess, you guys are the people I was cursing saying 'These are either rented or not owned by the driver cars when they were passing me and I was pottering in 1'st 2nd gear.

Well, I am not taking this route back if this is the correct route and butter smooth.

Anmod last time I came was concretized, can you guys tell me the exact way points for that route? I am okay with it being longer. I passed through wild life sanctuaries that time, which were village roads but quite okay, I am not sure if they will be like that now.

Last edited by humyum : 17th November 2020 at 11:56.
humyum is offline  
Old 17th November 2020, 11:58   #3080
BHPian
 
vivek95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 564
Thanked: 3,949 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Major update

Avoid Belgaum city route to Goa if you are crossing it between 10a.m to 8pm ( Mumbai--Pune--Belgaum--Khanapur--Bhimgad WLS--Anmod ghat--Goa ) . I was in Belgaum for 5 days last week. The city is back to diverting some of its internal routes due to under-construction /cementing. This often leads to crazy traffic snarls and will be a horrible experience for someone who has driven all the way from Bombay--Pune. One might as well take 1.5 hours to cross the city. More than local cars, its mostly the outstation cars (90% Mumbai-Pune registered )heading to and from Goa contributing to the traffic. The roads diverted through Cantonment area are confusing like hell for outsiders. Take Amboli route and spare yourself of all this headache. Else cross Belgaum before 10 a.m.

Last edited by vivek95 : 17th November 2020 at 12:13. Reason: Made it 8pm instead of 7pm
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:06   #3081
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 7,982
Thanked: 11,894 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Major update

Avoid Belgaum city route to Goa if you are crossing it between 10a.m to 8pm ( Mumbai--Pune--Belgaum--Khanapur--Bhimgad WLS--Anmod ghat--Goa ) .
I do intend to drive past Belgaum but was wondering if I do miss the deadline of 10am, what's my best route through the city? I have to head south so it may not be a good idea to go via Amboli.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:15   #3082
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 387
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I do intend to drive past Belgaum but was wondering if I do miss the deadline of 10am, what's my best route through the city? I have to head south so it may not be a good idea to go via Amboli.
You are at the mercy of Maps literally, each time it suggests a different route depending upon the current traffic situation. But pretty much it will try to route you near or through the cantonment.
There is a Bird Sanctuary there next to the Golf Course, would be good to include those in your map to avoid getting 'lost'. Google suggests the road behind these passing through Doordarshan Nagar.
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 23:58   #3083
BHPian
 
SSD2122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 160
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Just heard from a friend that MH12 vehicles are exempt from toll at khed-shivapur toll-naka. Can anyone confirm if its true. Also if cash is accepted or its fast-tag only. I am planning on a day long trip to Mahabaleshwar. Thanks in advance!
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 05:35   #3084
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 7,982
Thanked: 11,894 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Just heard from a friend that MH12 vehicles are exempt from toll at khed-shivapur toll-naka. Can anyone confirm if its true. Also if cash is accepted or its fast-tag only. I am planning on a day long trip to Mahabaleshwar. Thanks in advance!
I keep hearing this on and off. Never experienced this personally. Cash is accepted in all lanes despite warnings for double toll charge.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 11:01   #3085
BHPian
 
SSD2122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 160
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Guys, quick update, I crossed khed-shivapur toll naka today morning. Waited at the toll booth without rolling down car windows. Did not have to pay toll. So it seems that it's true that MH12 vehicles do not have to pay toll fee.

Not sure if I may have to pay toll while returning back today. Will post details later. Hope this helps.
SSD2122 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 21:58   #3086
BHPian
 
SSD2122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 160
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Guys, quick update, I crossed khed-shivapur toll naka today morning. Waited at the toll booth without rolling down car windows. Did not have to pay toll. So it seems that it's true that MH12 vehicles do not have to pay toll fee.

Not sure if I may have to pay toll while returning back today. Will post details later. Hope this helps.
Did not have to pay toll on return back to Pune today evening.
SSD2122 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 08:27   #3087
Newbie
 
wbp.rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

hi,
I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Goa via Kolhapur.
Which will be the best route from Kolhapur to Goa?
I am ok to spend an extra hour (take a detour) if it results in a better road.

From the replies... It looks like Amboli Ghat route is the best.

Any suggestion as which exact route to follow?
wbp.rider is offline  
Old 20th November 2020, 10:48   #3088
BHPian
 
vivek95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 564
Thanked: 3,949 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I do intend to drive past Belgaum but was wondering if I do miss the deadline of 10am, what's my best route through the city? I have to head south so it may not be a good idea to go via Amboli.
I am sharing directions of an alternative route within Belgaum that takes you via Bauxite road--Hanuman Nagar--Cantonment--Congress road-- then onto Khanapur road towards Bhimgad WLS--Anmod ghat. This will be 2 kms longer than usual but will bypass most of the traffic prone areas and under-construction roads. You will have peace of mind and cross the city faster even though its longer. Any difficulties, contact me on PM.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UrXLF9aywezhoDXK8





Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
You are at the mercy of Maps literally, each time it suggests a different route depending upon the current traffic situation. But pretty much it will try to route you near or through the cantonment.
There is a Bird Sanctuary there next to the Golf Course, would be good to include those in your map to avoid getting 'lost'. Google suggests the road behind these passing through Doordarshan Nagar.
I have shared the golf course route up there. Google maps is suggesting crazy routes within Belgaum, I mean Fort road and Patil Galli of all the roads They are such stupidly congested highly traffic prone roads that one will have a bad impression about my hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbp.rider View Post
hi,
I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Goa via Kolhapur.
Which will be the best route from Kolhapur to Goa?
I am ok to spend an extra hour (take a detour) if it results in a better road.

From the replies... It looks like Amboli Ghat route is the best.

Any suggestion as which exact route to follow?
Hi. You are headed to South or North Goa ?? If its South Goa, take Belgaum route. Although I had mentioned to avoid Belgaum, just few posts back, I have now shared an alternative route within the city for the benefit of everyone. Check my reply directed to @moralfibre in this very post for directions. If North Goa, stick to Amboli route.

Last edited by vivek95 : 20th November 2020 at 10:57. Reason: Added reply to another member
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 11:06   #3089
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

wbp rider, if North Goa is your destination take the Amboli ghat route.
Kholapur - Nipani - (go off the highway at Hotel Satyawati Palace) - Uttur - Ajara - Amboli- Sawantwadi - Mapusa. But for a few kms around Uttur the road is fairly good till you hit the Goa border. Then it is hell as NH 66 is dug up for widening.
One way of avoiding this mess of a road is by leaving the NH 66 at Pernem and taking the road to Parse and Siolim and onto the beaches of North Goa. This will add a few kms but will take lesser time if you are doing it during a weekday.
If it is the South you are going to take the Anmod ghat. Follow the link given by vivek95 to avoid the traffic in Belgaum city.
hydtraveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:34   #3090
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 102
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

I drove down on Friday, 20th Nov with my brother from Andheri West to Margao. The route i took was this along with the pit stops i took:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/A1uGnPq58dBGrCW39

Observations:

1) This is the 5th or 6th time i've driven down to Goa and have always taken the Chorla Ghat as advised by Google Maps. This is the first time even GMaps suggested to take Anmod.

2) Total driving time always used to show around 10.5 hours. It showed 11.5 hours for any route (not sure why).

3) Didn't encounter any major traffic anywhere in the whole route including within Belgaum which we passed around 4 pm. (Maybe because I added Dominos as our lunch pitstop, it took a different route).

4) Chorla ghat used to come rather quickly after Belgaum so we used to pass it in daylight. Anmod comes after passing the wild life sanctuaries so we had to pass it post sunset which was a bit irritating (not a fan of night driving in ghats)

5) Total time for pitstops was scheduled for 1 hour 15 mins. It took us 2 hours though as service at most places is slow (including 'fast' food places like McD and Dominos).

6) Though Anmod itself is in decent condition keep a lookout for the random craters that come up. There is one part where i crawled, yet scraped the underbody (Octavia, so nothing to boast about the ground clearance level). This was the part where the cemented part of Anmod suddenly ends and normal road begins.

7) Wildlife sanctuary roads have deteriorated a lot since previous times (I know it since i always take that route on the return leg). I wouldn't say not drivable but they have seen better days.

8) On the above mentioned road, encountered consistent stream of drivers from the opposite side who just do not want to go off road a little also. The road is narrow so both cars (or atleast one needs to go off road). They always come zooming without showing any intention of giving way so I had to slow and go off road which slowed us down a bit. Pic of such roads below.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-fb_img_1606011312845.jpg

Left at 5.45 am and reached at 7.45 pm

Last edited by praveen789 : 22nd November 2020 at 07:47.
praveen789 is online now   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks
debug hidden