Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 18:13   #3196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivealot View Post
Friends, Which is the best route from Pune to Goa? How are the roads?
I am scheduled to drive to Goa this weekend 13th Feb in my Merc E350 and road condition is most important.
From the various discussions I gather that currently there are two good roads which are motorable from Pune to Goa.

Option1
Pune -Kolhapur-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli- Sawantwadi- banda -Mapusa- GOA

Option2
Pune -Kolhapur- Belgaum- Chorla Ghat- Goa. ( not sure if option 2 is good).
I will be delighted to get any input in this regard.
if there are any other options please do let me know.
Thanks in Advance
Cheers
Drivealot
Just did the trip in the Tiguan.

On the way there we went via Amboli Ghat (turn off at Nipani).
There are a few bad patches, unmarked speed breakers to watch out for once you turn off the highway but nothing that should cause an issue in the E350 if you're careful (especially if its the non air suspension W212).
In fact, even after the ghats when you enter Goa : highway work is in progress with many detours that could catch you off guard until Mapusa.

On the return we came via Anmod Ghat which was a little longer but roads were better, barring a stretch through a forest reserve (Bhimgad Sanctuary) which was horrible (5-7km of crawling on a 25-30km stretch). If there is a good detour for this, this could be a route to think about though it is a good hour longer to North Goa (Panjim and north).

Also keep in mind that in Goa too parking & roads in places aren't the best so SUV is preferred if there is an option.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 19:11   #3197
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

I did this drive between yesterday and today, with a night halt at Kolhapur.

Finished work by 5pm and left from Goregaon, was 730pm by the time I started the expressway. Kothrud by 9pm, Satara 11pm, and Kolhapur Hotel at 1245am.

Left from Kolhapur at 8am, and reached Palolem at 130pm via Belgaum-Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem.

Roads are excellent throughout, apart from brief patches of diversions where road work is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndp88 View Post
If your destination is Palolem directly, I'd suggest to go ahead with Anmod route. Road is good, it's an enjoyable ride. I tend follow below points for my Goa trips.
Thank you so much, this was the perfect choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
IBarring 8-10 kms of rough patches within Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary most of the road from Khanapur till Anmod check post is very much in good condition. Only suggestion would be not to drive above 60 Kmph (From Khanapur till Anmod check post) and you will be fine.

Most important point, the road (Khanapur to Anmod check post through Hemmadaga) is open only between 6AM to 6PM.

Suggested route Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Khanapur - Hemmadaga - Anmod Check Post - Mollem - Dharbandora - Sanvordem - Quepem - Balli - Palolem
Absolutely, thank you very much. Really glad I didn't try any gambles with the route, , yours was the perfect suggestion.

Quote:
Friends, Which is the best route from Pune to Goa? How are the roads?
I am scheduled to drive to Goa this weekend 13th Feb in my Merc E350 and road condition is most important.
From the various discussions I gather that currently there are two good roads which are motorable from Pune to Goa.

Option1

Option2
I will be delighted to get any input in this regard.
Thanks in Advance
Cheers
Drivealot
Drivealot sir, largely your route week be a function of which part of Goa you are visiting. If going to North Goa then Amboli route is the best. If going South, would recommend sticking to Anmod route. Happy journey!

I'll keep the forum posted on the return journey too.

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 11:15   #3198

Dear friends,

Appreciate any input on the road conditions between Pune and South Goa (Varca). Planning to drive with family (two small kids) on Audi A6.

Your help will be very appreciated.

Regards
Old 11th February 2021, 11:39   #3199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSaisha View Post
Dear friends,

Appreciate any input on the road conditions between Pune and South Goa (Varca). Planning to drive with family (two small kids) on Audi A6.

Your help will be very appreciated.

Regards
Take the Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad - Anmod route as suggesdted by ndp88. Latest updated on the condition is posted above. A small section of the road 6km between Bhimgad and Anmod is broken but nothing to worry about.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 15:15   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
Option1

Option2

No offence but Mapusa is very much part of Goa state and it is one of the important cities within Goa state.

Kindly share your destination.

Option 1 mentioned by you holds good for any destination within North Goa territory whereas Option 2 route is in shambles (Chorla ghat within Goa state) and is best to be avoided. Repair work is in progress and completion of work is expected to be by May 2021.

The other option is to drive via Anmod ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSaisha View Post
This is suggested route (Start point considered is Khed Shivapur toll plaza). Please ensure you cross Khanapur before 5.30 PM. Gate of Bhimgad wildlife Sanctuary road close at 6PM.

The better timing would be to start early from Pune and reach your destination by 2-3 PM. Check in, take a nap and embrace open oceans after evening coffee.

One more suggestion, since you are driving with kids keep your speed under 40-50 Kmph during ghat section (probably around 25-30 minutes drive). This will help to keep motion sickness under control.
Ertigiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 16:17   #3201
BHPian

[quote=Ertigiat;4998825]No offence but Mapusa is very much part of Goa state and it is one of the important cities within Goa state.

Kindly share your destination.

Option 1 mentioned by you holds good for any destination within North Goa territory whereas Option 2 route is in shambles (Chorla ghat within Goa state) and is best to be avoided. Repair work is in progress and completion of work is expected to be by May 2021.

The other option is to drive via Anmod ghat.

Ertigiat 🙏
Thank you for pointing it out. My Bad.
Anyway Thank you Sir for the inputs.
I am going to North Goa. As suggested I think I will take the Nipani Ajra link Road then on to Amboli, Sawantwadi, Banda, Mapusa and onward to Aguada.
The short stretch of 8-10kms Anmod Ghat Road has been painful and bad for several years. Just hoping they will set it right this year.
Lastly are there any good restaurants on the Ajra-Amboli route.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Old 11th February 2021, 16:29   #3202
BHPian

Friends, Incidently I have a friend who is currently enroute from Belgaum to Goa via Chorla ghat. Will update actual status ASAP.
Cheers
Old 11th February 2021, 17:59   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
I did this drive between yesterday and today, with a night halt at Kolhapur.

Finished work by 5pm and left from Goregaon, was 730pm by the time I started the expressway. Kothrud by 9pm, Satara 11pm, and Kolhapur Hotel at 1245am.

Left from Kolhapur at 8am, and reached Palolem at 130pm via Belgaum-Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem.

Roads are excellent throughout, apart from brief patches of diversions where road work is going on.
Thank you R_S for your inputs. As mentioned in my other post I am going to North Goa. I am ok to go even Via Dharwad if the Roads are excellent.
Well I did read on the net about Dharwad Goa Road not being good.
Anyway when possible please do post the route of your return journey.
Cheers
Drivealot

Last edited by Sheel : 18th February 2021 at 08:08. Reason: Please quote *ONLY* the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Drivealot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:24   #3204
BHPian

Quote:
I am ok to go even Via Dharwad if the Roads are excellent.
Anyway when possible please do post the route of your return journey.
Cheers
Drivealot
Sir, it will entail a pretty long dog-leg if you choose to travel via Dharwad for North Goa (although I imagine if I had an E class I, too, would want to drive the extra 130-odd kilometres here and there )

Additionally the road via Dharwad goes through Londa-Mollem, which again would require you to make the long city-driving trek from South Goa to North. As adviced to me also by @Ertigiat, is not a good idea given the various road construction activities, diversions and crowds of city commuters.

You'd be best served taking the Ajra-Amboli road. The road surface is excellent all throughout.

Depending on what time you leave, you can have an excellent lunch option at Yelur (Sai International) just before Kolhapur, or Satyawati Palace / Goa Ves after Nippani.

Alternatively you can also try home-made Konkani fare at Balkrishna restaurant at Amboli (if you've left really early since that will be about 6.5 hours into the journey from MH12) I don't think there are too many decent / family friendly lunch options along the road once you take the right turnoff at Goa Ves, up until you hit Amboli. If you like rice in your daily meals, however, you might want to pick up some of the excellent Ajra Rice (grain) along the way for home use.

Disclaimer:- No affiliation to any of the places or produce mentioned.

Cheers,
R_S

Last edited by roadie_swift : 11th February 2021 at 18:27. Reason: Add
roadie_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 19:30   #3205
BHPian

Thank you R_S for your Super fast Response and advise. I plan to stick to Nipani- Ajra Amboli route. I also look forward to buying the lovely Rice you have recommended. Thank you once again.
Cheers
Drivealot
Drivealot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:36   #3206
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, Incidently I have a friend who is currently enroute from Belgaum to Goa via Chorla ghat. Will update actual status Asaph.
Cheers
Update on Chorla Ghat.
My friend just gave me a update. He said barring 15 kms of a very bad stretch on Chorla
Ghat which will take 45 mins, the balance Road isvery good.
Cheers
Drivealot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 21:14   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Lastly are there any good restaurants on the Ajra-Amboli route.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
I usually stop at Hotel JRD for quick snacks or Thali lunch.

It is just before Amboli Ghat, petrol pump is also nearby. Good spot to take a break before ghat section. There aren't many great restaurants between Ajra to Banda. Like Roadie_swift mentioned Sai International at Yelur is excellent choice. Hotel Kaveri at Nippani is also decent.
ndp88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:37   #3208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lastly are there any good restaurants on the Ajra-Amboli route. Thanks in advance.
Cheers
I seem to remember a few posts mentioning Hotel Minerva (just after Ajra) as a decent place for a break on this route.
Old 14th February 2021, 19:37   #3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Take the Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad - Anmod route as suggesdted by ndp88. Latest updated on the condition is posted above. A small section of the road 6km between Bhimgad and Anmod is broken but nothing to worry about.
Made the journey today. Started from Pune at 5:50am. As suggested by many friendly folks here, the route via Belgavi - Khanapur - Anmod was perfect barring around 10 km of poor road surface between Bhimgad and Anmod.

A few minor diversions in Belgavi due to the ongoing work (Smart City initiative).

Total 10.5 hrs with two leisurely breaks for coffee (The Fern Karad) and Nature's Nest in Sancordem. Excellent place for serious bird watchers.

Thank you once again.
Old 17th February 2021, 22:18   #3210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Any suggestions on which route to take from North to South goa?
  • Started from Mumbai-Western Suburbs on 23rd at 4:00 AM and reached Morjim around 4:30 PM.
  • It was smooth till Satara ghat(?), the one way up-hill road after Pune, which was in a mess! I never saw so many cars with their hood open parked on both sides of the road. Post turn to Mahabaleshwar there was hardly any traffic.
  • The 4-laned road from Satara to Kolhapur was the best stretch of this journey!
  • Took Ajara-Amboli to Sawantwadi. Road widening work going on post that till the cut for Morjim. Enjoyed sunset at Morjim, then drove to Airport to pickup my cousin and finally reached Agonda at 1:30 AM.
  • Airport to Agonda was so smooth with hardly any cars. Stayed in Agonda for 2 nights at Lost Paradise.
  • Agonda to Porvorim took us 2 hrs on 26th, there was heavy traffic till Panjim.
  • Started return journey on 27th at 8:00 PM, was home by 4:30am. Just took one 20 mins break at Food plaza on Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

Last edited by sinharishi : 17th February 2021 at 22:36.
sinharishi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed