Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 14:24   #3241
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalifatte View Post
Hi All
Checking at the border was virtually non existent. Even at airports the rule is virtually on paper but there may come a day when they suddenly become strict and check. As of now the borders are relatively unchecked .
Were you not stopped/checked at the Karnataka border? The reason I ask is I saw the police check happening last week hence worried. I am travelling with 2 senior citizens and an infant and would prefer to avoid hassles.

So far I am leaning towards the route shown here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5012128 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

but would like to take the Nippani route as it saves 45 mins if there are no checks at KA border.

My return is from South Goa and the default route shown on Gmaps is https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cave...16.7049873!3e0

Are you recommending to avoid this?
Old 9th March 2021, 16:23   #3242

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Were you not stopped/checked at the Karnataka border? The reason I ask is I saw the police check happening last week hence worried. I am travelling with 2 senior citizens and an infant and would prefer to avoid hassles.

So far I am leaning towards the route shown here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5012128 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

but would like to take the Nippani route as it saves 45 mins if there are no checks at KA border.

My return is from South Goa and the default route shown on Gmaps is https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cave...16.7049873!3e0

Are you recommending to avoid this?
The route in that link through Anmod is definitely bad , more so with senior citizens travelling it would be a very uncomfortable drive . The Chorla route is open and mostly relaid wherever it was problematic.
The karnataka border risk would exist for both routes but during my travel there was no checking at the posts. I will still do a check with a few acquaintances who are slated to travel this week
lalifatte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 17:41   #3243

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Hello all,

Here are the directions of the road that I took to Ajra last week. I have tried to mark it on map with the prime spot villages that I remember; just dont follow it to the T. Dont enter the villages and stay on the main road. There are villages at regular intervals and locals know the way in case you are unsure and need to inquire. The road is single lane throughout, in excellent condition, and picturesque. Sugarcane and other fields throughout on both sides; refreshed my memories of my drive to Amritsar from Bhatinda. It was good drive on the otherwise uneventful and boring highway till Kolhapur from Mumbai.

https://goo.gl/maps/dbEJ1vrEJ7Lrv2PWA
I did the route suggested by T.S. on Saturday and it was pretty good.

As far as I know there is strict checking or rather an RTPCR test required at Karnataka Koganoli border if you intend to enter Goa via Nipani. If you are traveling the other way, there is no test required as Goa is not on the list of restricted states.

Thanks to T.S. for the route map.

Cheers
adriansarita is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 13:20   #3244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Guys, let me pitch in being from Belgaum. So what could have happened is that ( can say it certainty) @Drivealot took the Anmod ghat route but continued onto Ramnagar and then Khanapur, 3/4 of this 50 km stretch which is under construction. Hence the 38.3 kms of horrendous roads that he has encountered. Had he taken a left at Anmod and driven via Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary route towards Khanapur and Belgaum, it wouldn't have taken more than 4.5 or 5 hours max.

By the way, as of last week, repairs on Chorla ghat had begun as per my friend back in Belgaum.
I am travelling from Palolem to Pune next week, Shall i be courageous and go via Bhimgad to Khanapur. As per another post, around 10kms is bad on this stretch as well. I have a fully loaded Polo with not v good ground clearance and 2 senior citizens and an infant.

OR

Shall i just follow the North Goa route via Amboli, Ajara and Nipani?

OR

The route via Margao > Usgao > Chorla > Belgaum?

Last edited by abhatt : 11th March 2021 at 13:27.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 15:25   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OR The route via Margao > Usgao > Chorla > Belgaum?
According to this post (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) on the Bangalore - Goa thread, Chorla ghat is in good shape now, so you could try that if you like.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th March 2021 at 15:26.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 15:53   #3246
BHPian

Quote:
I am travelling from Palolem to Pune next week, Shall i be courageous and go via Bhimgad to Khanapur. As per another post, around 10kms is bad on this stretch as well. I have a fully loaded Polo with not v good ground clearance and 2 senior citizens and an infant.

OR

Shall i just follow the North Goa route via Amboli, Ajara and Nipani?

OR

The route via Margao > Usgao > Chorla > Belgaum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
According to this post (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) on the Bangalore - Goa thread, Chorla ghat is in good shape now, so you could try that if you like.
Good news Belgaum--Chorla ghat--Sanquelim should now be the default route for Mumbai / Pune to Panjim/Old Goa/Madgaon/South Goa.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 15:58   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Good news Belgaum--Chorla ghat--Sanquelim should now be the default route for Mumbai / Pune to Panjim/Old Goa/Madgaon/South Goa.
Google Maps says this route is 30 mins slower for Cavelossim and Palolem however unless I get a confirmation that the route via Mollem > Anmod > Bhimgad > Khanapur is drivable I will take Chorla for the peace of mind.
Old 11th March 2021, 19:54   #3248
BHPian

Quote:
Google Maps says this route is 30 mins slower for Cavelossim and Palolem however unless I get a confirmation that the route via Mollem > Anmod > Bhimgad > Khanapur is drivable I will take Chorla for the peace of mind.
Last I drove from Goa to Belgaum via Anmod--Bhimgad WLS was in Oct 2020 or so. I drive a Polo too and back then the road was very much driveable even with some intermittent potholes and my car didn't scrape it's underbelly at any point. However, I think you should go ahead with Chorla for peace of mind as you said.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 07:23   #3249
BHPian

Update from my last trip on 10th march.

Chorla route is good and most people use it.

Belgaum -khanapur- Anmod -molem route is complete avoid. Not suitable for a car. Do not trust google maps
The roadwork is not expected to complete for one year.
DieselDelight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 07:16   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDelight View Post
Belgaum -khanapur- Anmod -molem route is complete avoid. Not suitable for a car. Do not trust google maps
The roadwork is not expected to complete for one year.
Was this the route via Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary shown by Gmaps below or the one I have marked in the maps here?

I am keen on saving 45 mins by avoiding Chorla if the route highlighted by Gmaps is manageable.

Name:  Screenshot 20210316 071509.png
Views: 883
Size:  196.5 KB
Old 16th March 2021, 08:21   #3251
BHPian

It was the one you have selected, via bhimgad. Zoom in the google map and you would see looong yellow patch.
I travelled late night, so almost no body on the road except trucks.
DieselDelight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:36   #3252
BHPian

Guys I will finally return to Mumbai (I hope) after trio down to Goa in December.

I had a quick query on the need for Covid test/checks when doing the route via Chorla or Bhimgad (i.e. enter MH via KA).

I did Chorla while coming down from Mumbai and it was a hellish ride for me on my XUV. So need advice on this route too, if its now much better and suited for high GC cars?
Old 20th March 2021, 06:53   #3253
BHPian

Update on Chorla Ghat and KA Border crossing:

I travelled from Pune to South Goa on 16th March and was planning to take route suggested by T.S. just to avoid hassle of crossing the KA border.

Left early morning around 5:20 from Pune and the progress was brisk. I was at the Kagal around 8:45am, so decided to try my luck and went to the border checkpost. I was thinking of taking Nipani-Ajra-Amboli route at first just to save to extra 45 mins the T.S's route would take.

At the border, police asked us to pull over in a separate lane, enquired about where we are headed to. On telling Goa, he just let us go. No covid checks, no RT-PCR test required.

After we crossed the border, we decided to take Belgaum-Chorla Ghat route for two reasons:
1. Super smooth stretch till Belgaum
2. We wouldn't have to negotiate traffic and diversions on NH66

Chorla ghat is equally smooth. Authorities have fixed the bad patches reported by fellow members. Kudos to them. Icing on the cake is Chorla ghat is banned for heavy vehicles so there was absolutely no traffic whatsoever.

Last time I took Anmod ghat on Google's recommendation and it was horrible.

Roads in Goa are amazing. I have been driving in Goa for the last 3 days and it has been delight. Yesterday had a blast doing Cavelossim to Galgibag via NH66.

A customary pic from Cabo De Rama beach

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pxl_20210319_040710740.jpg
livezero is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 08:18   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Guys I will finally return to Mumbai (I hope) after trio down to....
I did Chorla while coming down from Mumbai and it was a hellish ride for me on my XUV. So need advice on this route too, if its now much better and suited for high GC cars?
Although I have not travelled recently through Chorla, what I hear is that the work of hot mixing of roads on the Goa portion is complete. So expect the ride to be smooth all the way to Belgaum.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 09:36   #3255

Hi,

We are doing a family road trip from Mumbai-Kolhapur-Goa in a weeks time.

Intent to start off from Mumbai at 4 am and drive until Kolhapur for a nightcap. ( I know one can make it to Goa directly, but since its a first trip with our kid, don't want to push it)

Looking for suggestions to stop and eat in a hygienic places all through the journey. Will try to avoid roadside eateries and dhabas as much as we can. (much to my anguish as I love to eat at every crowded roadside eatery. The belief being.. good crowd=good food)

0400: Leave from Mumbai
0530-0600: Quick stop at Starbucks on the Expressway
0730-0800: Crossed Pune (Warje/Katraj)
Breakfast Stop: Need Suggestions around after Pune limits along highway

1000-1030: Satara
2nd Stop: Need Suggestions along highway/inside city

1230-1300: Reach Kolhapur
Lunch: Need Suggestions in the city

Day 2:
0730: Leave from Kolhapur
1230-1300: Reach Goa

Please do share any feedback on restrictions etc for entering Goa considering latest COVID situation

Most Viewed