Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 10:15   #3316
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Here's the translated version issued by Kolhapur police on their Twitter:

1. Kolhapur to Ratnagiri via Waghbil and Malkapur - Closed

2. Kolhapur to Ratnagiri via Jaisinghpur - Hatkangale - Vadgaon - Vathar - Kodoli - Borapadle - Bambawde - Malkapur - Jugai -Yelwan - Anuskura Ghat - Rajapur. - Ratnagiri - Open

3. Kolhapur to Pune via Sangli phata marg Closed

4. Kolhapur to Pune upto Kini toll Open

5. Kolhapur to Sangli Closed

6. Kini toll to Peth naka, Islampur - Sangli Open

7. Kolhapur to Belgaum Closed

8. Kolhapur to Mudaltitta - Murgad - Bolawewadi - Kapshi - Lingapur - Nipani Open

9. Kolhapur to Sindhudurg / Goa via Gaganbawda - Closed

10. Kolhapur to Sindhudurg / Goa via Radhanagari / Phonda Ghat - Open

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_ff973136d0ad1.jpeg
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:22   #3317
Distinguished - BHPian

I really dodged a bullet here. Drove back to Bombay on the 21st - roads were super smooth. And then we see this. One of our relatives who went to Goa last week and was due to return today is abandoning their car at the hotel in Goa, and flying back. They will send a driver to pick up the car once the situation eases. Take care guys
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 02:32   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I really dodged a bullet here. Drove back to Bombay on the 21st - roads were super smooth. And then we see this. One of our relatives who went to Goa last week and was due to return today is abandoning their car at the hotel in Goa, and flying back. They will send a driver to pick up the car once the situation eases. Take care guys
My parents were supposed to return back to Mumbai from Goa on Saturday, but with roads being shut, they had no option but to leave the car at our house there. Thankfully the trains opened up yesterday and we managed to luckily secure a booking. I am flying to Goa for some work next week, will hopefully get the car back then provided the roads are back in action. We know someone who is stuck bang in the middle of the chaos near Kolhapur and it's awful!
Old 27th July 2021, 09:09   #3319
Team-BHP Support

Couple of updates. Courtesy: Twitter -

Yesterday:

Link

Quote:
Maharashtra | NH-48 was closed for last 4 days. Now water level has receded to 2.5 feet. One lane has been opened. On the 2nd lane, water level is still at 3.5-4 feet. We are allowing essential service vehicles only: Shailesh Balkawade, SP Kolhapur on flood situation
Today:

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-screen-shot-20210727-09.06.27.png

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-flood4.jpeg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-flood3.jpeg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-flood2.jpeg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-flood1.jpeg
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:28   #3320

Hi All,
Slightly confused looking at the above messages. I am planning to drive from South Goa --> Chorla Ghat -->Belgaum --> Kolhapur --> Satara --> Pune --> Thane, this weekend.

Are any of the roads on the above-mentioned route blocked? Especially NH 48, which is the arterial road for the above route?
Thanks much.
Old 27th July 2021, 18:05   #3321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Hi All,
Slightly confused looking at the above messages. I am planning to drive from South Goa --> Chorla Ghat -->Belgaum --> Kolhapur --> Satara --> Pune --> Thane, this weekend.

Are any of the roads on the above-mentioned route blocked? Especially NH 48, which is the arterial road for the above route?
Thanks much.
Don't have a status update on Chorla ghat but the rest of the road is open. Chorla had a major landslide on 23rd which closed the road. Alternately, Amboli ghat is open from what I know.
Old 27th July 2021, 21:29   #3322

Thanks. The latest Google Maps update shows a road closure after Kolhapur.
Anyone who can confirm this please?
Old 27th July 2021, 21:34   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks much.
Kolhapur - Pune stretch is now open for general traffic. I just drove the route and the flood water has receded.
dmplog is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 23:50   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Don't have a status update on Chorla ghat but the rest of the road is open. Chorla had a major landslide on 23rd which closed the road. Alternately, Amboli ghat is open from what I know.
Chorla has been severely affected post the landslide and work has yet not been completed, plus some incidents of tree-fall on the route. Would advise to come via Amboli. Stretches in between are not great, but still safer without any hindrances. Traffic ahead of Kolhapur has been allowed to proceed toward Pune, but still some muck along the way.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:30   #3325
BHPian

Hi All,

What about Anmod ghat? Is that operational? Plan to drive to Varca this Monday from Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Belagavi - Anmod - Varca. Two cars.

Spoke to the Belagavi police control room and was informed that the Karnataka side was good to go but they weren't sure of the Goa side of the ghat. Not able to get anyone to corroborate from the Goa side, Mollem or Bicholim.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks ��
Old 30th July 2021, 23:23   #3326

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Chorla has been severely affected post the landslide and work has yet not been completed, plus some incidents of tree-fall on the route. Would advise to come via Amboli. Stretches in between are not great, but still safer without any hindrances. Traffic ahead of Kolhapur has been allowed to proceed toward Pune, but still some muck along the way.
Just drove via Amboli Ghat. An ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE of a drive , some what alleviated by the pleasant scenery in the Ghat.
Will share a detailed experience shortly as I am too tired from the rigors of the day but one advice: this road is a last resort i.e. if Anmod Ghat doesn't work.
bagman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 00:02   #3327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just drove via Amboli Ghat. An ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE of a drive , some what alleviated by the pleasant scenery in the Ghat.
Will share a detailed experience shortly as I am too tired from the rigors of the day but one advice: this road is a last resort i.e. if Anmod Ghat doesn't work.
Awaiting your detailed report on this. Planning to take this route end of August.
Old 4th August 2021, 09:52   #3328

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Awaiting your detailed report on this. Planning to take this route end of August.
As it was just a week after the much-in-news flash floods, there were conflicting reports about the condition of the 3 routes i.e. Amboli Ghat, Chorla Ghat and Anmod Ghat. None of them were clear and a simple Google / Youtube video search also didn't yield much.

Decided to take the plunge and go for the more popular Amboli Ghat, assuming that it would be cleared and made ready for the 'truck' traffic that has to enter and exit Goa. Turned out to be bad decision in the end.

1. Left Betalbatim (South Goa) at 7am and the drive all the way to North and then bypassing Panjim, was largely uneventful (a tinge of regret leaving the incredibly beautiful Green-in-monsoon Goa).
Roads were above average but do watch out for the 'Take Diversion' boards at some places.

Note: The incredibly stupid rumblers meant to function as speed breakers. They are above the usual height and force your vehicle to a complete slow down (1st Gear) and then endure the bone-rattling 10-12 hops

2. After you bypass Panjim, the road became / becomes even worse. It is either under construction or has gone incredibly bad because of recent rains. Can't even dismiss it off as a bad stretch, as the stretch lasts right upto the RTO check-post.
Note: The usual alcohol / excise checks were done here

3. Was hoping for a respite post the checkpost-cross but the road towards Amboli was even worse. The 'nature' villain i.e. rains have taken a heavy toll on this road. 3rd gear was a luxury and fuel economy is a mirage.

4. As you get on the approach road to Amboli i.e. from Danoli, there is a marked improvement but the heavy rain ensured a steady speed of 50-60kmh. Also, one must be careful of the opposing traffic who do not respect the two-lane system.
Note: Near the waterfall, cars were parked right on the road and the passengers were getting off to feed the monkeys, ironically right under a massive signpost clearly stating to not feed them.

5. Thereafter the road is a breeze, and this utopia lasts until one crosses Kolhapur. From thereon until you reach Katara Bridge, it is a video-game drive of sorts. Dodging the potholes takes quite an amount of skill as you would need to veer your vehicle around them. A brief 2 kms stretch, after you cross Satara is especially bad.

6. Onto the expressway and everything is on expected lines and nothing to state here.

All said and done, though Google Maps stated 11 hrs for the overall drive, it took me 14.5 hours (with two halts: one at the Maggie point after Amboli and the other at Kolhapur).

Update: I spoke to another friend who made the drive via Mollem - Anmod Ghat - Belgaum - Nippani - Kolhapur - Pune - Mumbai, and except for a brief stretch on the Goa side of Anmod of around 6-7 kms, the road was largely Ok.

So, there you go....
bagman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:21   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: I spoke to another friend who made the drive via Mollem - Anmod Ghat - Belgaum - Nippani - Kolhapur - Pune - Mumbai, and except for a brief stretch on the Goa side of Anmod of around 6-7 kms, the road was largely Ok.
Sounds like the Aurangabad-Shirdi route which is always full of potholes and I know that feeling of driving like a video game, but you dont get extra lives if you do put your car in one of the massive craters. The Mollem-Anmod-Nipani route is slightly longer, on Google maps shows about two hours extra compared to the Amboli route, as I have to go till Vagator where I am staying for the week. But it seems like a good compromise where in at least I will reach Goa with a peaceful mind and the car still in one piece. Thanks for the tips!
Old 8th August 2021, 21:09   #3330
BHPian

Just came back from a goa trip - Took Navi Mumbai - Satara - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla Ghat - Saligaon both ways

Excellent roads - a few broken patches but nothing difficult

With 2 stops for takeaway food took 11 hours to reach navi mumbai

Roads were pretty empty except the last toll after lonavala (Understandable given Sunday)

RTPCR check was done while getting into goa before reaching Nipani and once at the goa border

While coming back rtpcr check was done only when entering Karnataka from Goa and nothing in Maharashta

Hope this helps!
vikram31 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed