Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 19:52   #3571
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

My bother drove from Mumbai to Bangalore last week for a work related visit. He had an overnight halt at Belgaum. He was let through at Kognoli as well as just before Belgaum after asking him for double vaccinated status and also a negative RT-PCR. The cops barely glanced at the E-copy, none the less travellers entering Karnataka from Maharashtra are asked for double vaccinated and negative RT-PCR certs.

While returning, no checks whatsoever anywhere all the way to Mumbai.
Aloneatma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 20:04   #3572
BHPian

A cop friend of mine told me that nowadays many travellers from Mumbai and Pune travelling to Goa prefer taking an overnight halt in Belgaum and continue their journey the next morning. But while entering Karnataka at Kognoli they tell the cops at the checkpost that their destination is Goa, and they are let through. This has changed in the last few weeks because cops are getting more stringent and asking for negative RT-PCR certs despite goa being the destination. Having said that , it's a gamble because not every car is asked for negative RT-PCR. It depends on the traffic entering Karnataka and the time of the day.

My take, better carry a negative RT-PCR apart from the double vaccinated certificates just to be on the safe side. As it is, Karnataka is witnessing a sharp increase in Covid-19 cases and until the trend starts going south these restrictions are there to stay.
Old 18th January 2022, 01:56   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Dear Bhpians,
Was planning a trip to Goa in coming week. I'm unable to find current Covid guidelines or restrictions, all the information available is dated atleast a week back. I'll be very grateful if anyone can share his recent experience crossing the state borders & traveling in Goa.
Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Same. Travelling to Goa(work with holiday) from Pune with a halt in KA for work next week. Interested in finding out if the rt pcr is mandatory for fully vaccinated people. 2 fully vaccinated adults and a 3 yearr old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Actually entering GOA is not an issue. Entering Karnataka is an issue. They are not accepting double vaccination certificate. They want even vaccinated folks to get a RT PCR test for crossing over from MH, GOA and Kerala. I wanted to check if that is really the case.
I just returned from a 1 week long trip to Goa this Saturday, 15th Jan.
The route I took on both the journeys (onwards and return) wasPune-Kolhapur-Nipani-Amboli-Goa.
Onwards journey - 9th January:
MH-KA Border: They simply asked where we were headed and let us through without any check on mentioning Goa as our destination.
MH-GA Border: They were pulling over everyone and asking 1 person in each car to step down and show the vaccination certificates at the checkpost. They apparently also had a RAT test facility available there (did not need it as both of us were fully vaccinated).

Within Goa:
Nowhere were we asked for the vaccination certificate or RT-PCR report. However, I could see the cops being very strict about using masks everywhere.

Return journey - 15th January
GA-MH Border: No checks whatsoever.
KA-MH Border: All the vehicles were being stopped and checked for vaccination certificates (read glancing), seemed just for the sake of it.

I had done the same trip in November, and the situation was exactly the same back then as well. I don't think you'd need to carry RT-PCR reports if you are planning to take the Amboli route. (I wasn't carrying one on both occasions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humm View Post
Any route recommended for the trip? How are the road conditions?
If you are headed to North Goa, I think the route via Amboli would be both shortest and fastest. There are couple of stretches of 15-20 kms with relatively poor roads around Aajra, however I found it to be perfectly manageable in my Tiago. Compared to November, lot of bad sections around Sawantwadi had been improved. Overall, the road condition is good.
For South Goa, you might want to explore Belgaum-Chorla route. (Can't comment on that, never taken it.)

Have a nice trip.
red_nemesis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 07:26   #3574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
I just returned from a 1 week long trip to Goa this Saturday, 15th Jan.
The route I took on both the journeys (onwards and return) wasPune-Kolhapur-Nipani-Amboli-Goa.
Onwards journey - 9th January:
MH-KA Border: They simply asked where we were headed and let us through without any checkk on mentioning Goa as our destination.
MH-GA Border: They were pulling over everyone and asking 1 person in each car to step down and show the vaccination certificates at the checkpost. They apparently also had a RAT test facility available there (did not need it as both of us were fully vaccinated).

Have a nice trip.

Thank you so much for this update. I have decided to wing it. Ill just try to to take amboli ghat route and turn back and go via gaganbawda if they ask for negative rt pcr on KA border.

Last edited by psbali : 18th January 2022 at 07:27.
Old 18th January 2022, 15:43   #3575
BHPian

Quote:
If you are headed to North Goa, I think the route via Amboli would be both shortest and fastest. There are couple of stretches of 15-20 kms with relatively poor roads around Aajra, however I found it to be perfectly manageable in my Tiago. Compared to November, lot of bad sections around Sawantwadi had been improved. Overall, the road condition is good.
For South Goa, you might want to explore Belgaum-Chorla route. (Can't comment on that, never taken it.)

Have a nice trip.
Thanks a ton for updating here. It is immensely helpful. In fact I already had postponed my hotel booking once & didn't wanted to do it again.
And yes, for South Goa I'll use the Belgaum route as it is more convenient.
I'll update my travel experience & especially if I have any issues.
Cheers!!!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2022 at 15:54. Reason: broken quotes
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 15:59   #3576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chorla route is better than Amboli route, 95% is repaired and only very few small patches are left which are being repaired (as on January 15th).
Although crossing Belgaum during weekend is a little pain because of weekend curfew in KA. Police is strict and have barricades around all junctions within the city. Although they allow you to cross city but you end up spending few minutes on each barrier.
Overall, i would still prefer to go via Chorla (for south Goa).
Shubhendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:28   #3577
BHPian

Entering KA is not a hassle if one is travelling to Goa. They are not even checking vax certificate in that case. I sincerely request people who suggest Anmod route to always add a disclaimer about not taking the route via BWS and instead stick to NH748 via ramnagar. Google maps just doesn't show the option. It will maybe redirect the route only when you skip all the options going towards BWS. The small KA side patch of nh748 i drove on was good after crossing BWS. BWS route is a single lane and even though heavy vehicles are not allowed they somehow enter the route and it is a pain to pass them . It was an adventure but scary.
Old 22nd January 2022, 14:45   #3578
BHPian

Quote:
Can any of the recent travelers confirm if there's a compulsion for RTPCR from Mah-Goa Route at Karnataka Border? & Visa-Versa..? (Even if Double Vaccination completed)

Any route recommended for the trip? How are the road conditions?
Just an upgrade;

I came to Goa yesterday and here's what's happening at Karnataka Border:

Before the Kagnoli Toll Plaza (the border fencing area) they have created a temporary barricade between the road and force the cars to enter from the right side.

At the end of the road there are a few camps/RTPCR booths and workers/staff who ask you where are you going. If your destination is Goa, they let you pass with no further questions or checking of any kind whatsoever.
humm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 09:48   #3579

Thank you for this update.
What route did you take and how were the roads?

Quote:
Just an upgrade;

I came to Goa yesterday and here's what's happening at Karnataka Border:

Before the Kagnoli Toll Plaza (the border fencing area) they have created a temporary barricade between the road and force the cars to enter from the right side.

At the end of the road there are a few camps/RTPCR booths and workers/staff who ask you where are you going. If your destination is Goa, they let you pass with no further questions or checking of any kind whatsoever.
Old 23rd January 2022, 11:57   #3580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen22 View Post
Thank you for this update.
Took the Nipani Route via Goa Ves Hotel as pitstop. Roads are as smooth as butter, roads have been recently repaired.

Just a few small 8/10 5 sec bad patches and the rest of the route is awesome to drive.
humm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 11:03   #3581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen22 View Post
I would recommend to decide route based on destination. For easier understanding Goa can be divided into 4 segments.
  1. North of North Goa - From Arambol till Ashvem beach.
  2. North Goa - From Anjuna till Vasco
  3. South Goa - From Vasco till Benaulim
  4. South of South Goa - From Benaulim till Palolem and furhter.

For segment 1, recommended route is Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Amboli - Destination.

Narrower roads once you turn right after Nipani. Smooth tarmac till Maharashtra border. Thereafter the road conditions varies from Average to bad till you reach Sawantwadi. Four lane road thereafter till Goa border. Road construction is still in progress with Goa and expect diversions, 2 lane roads till you destination.

For segment 2, recommended route is Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Destination.

Twists and twirls start right after you cross Belgaum. Good roads all the way till your destination. Over speeding is not recommended as this is busiest road of all 3 routes.

For segment 3, recommended route is Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Destination or Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Anmod - Destination.

Wider road among all the routes, barring a narrow patch of 30 Kms within Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary. 6 to 8 kms of bad road inside the sanctuary. Your speed will drop down to 10-20 kmph when you drive on this rough patch. Fastest and best route for South Goa.

For segment 4, recommended route is Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Anmod - Mollem - Sanvordem - Destination.

Road condition same as mentioned above. Good state highways once you turn left for Sanvordem.

Quote:
Took the Nipani Route via Goa Ves Hotel as pitstop. Roads are as smooth as butter, roads have been recently repaired.
Did you take Amboli or Chorla or Anmod route? For all these routes, you have to travel via Nipani. Since you have mentioned Goa ves hotel as pit stop, I am assuming you must taken Amobli route.
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:14   #3582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloneatma View Post
My bother drove from Mumbai to Bangalore last week for a work related visit. He had an overnight halt at Belgaum. He was let through at Kognoli as well as just before Belgaum after asking him for double vaccinated status and also a negative RT-PCR. The cops barely glanced at the E-copy, none the less travellers entering Karnataka from Maharashtra are asked for double vaccinated and negative RT-PCR certs.

While returning, no checks whatsoever anywhere all the way to Mumbai.
Do you know if interstate travel is permitted over weekends? I heard there were weekend curfews in
karnataka.
Old 3rd February 2022, 18:47   #3583
BHPian

If you are referring to going through Belgaum, then it's allowed. Traffic will be sparse during weekends. Cops rarely stop cars from outside the state, none the less if any cheeky cop decides to stop you after seeing the MH number plate just tell them you are heading to Goa or to Mumbai. Cops are not bothered about vehicles passing through the state. Cases in Karnataka as well as Maharashtra are on the down slope so less scrutiny. Carry your vax certificates, obviously. Hope this helps.
Old 10th February 2022, 23:07   #3584

Hello everyone,

Planning a trip to Kolhapur this weekend but Google Maps shows NH48 to be closed near Kikvi. It instead shows a route via Bhigwan, Shikhar Shingnapur merging at Karad. Is this a temporary road closure?
Haven't read anything about it in the papers, so anyone who has travelled and could share details would be great.

Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 09:41   #3585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
Planning a trip to Kolhapur this weekend but Google Maps shows NH48 to be closed near Kikvi.
Doesn't seem to be a road closure, just a temporary diversion in to the service lane for a couple of hundred metres, after which you can rejoin the highway.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20220211093908.png

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th February 2022 at 09:43.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks