Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
1,883,260 views Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2022, 10:28   #3586
Distinguished - BHPian
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,209
Thanked: 12,737 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Planning to go to South Goa (Cavellosim) next weekend. Google Maps suggests this route:

Name:  Capture_Goa.PNG
Views: 851
Size:  241.0 KB

I've taken the Belgaum- Jamboti-Chorla route several times now but this route (via Khanapur-Bhimgad sanctuary- Mollem-Shigao-Curchorem-Chinchinim-Orlim) is new to me. Any feedback? We are a family travelling in a Kia Seltos.
noopster is offline  
Old 11th February 2022, 10:34   #3587
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 7,168
Thanked: 16,480 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Planning to go to South Goa (Cavellosim) next weekend.
I'd suggest sticking to Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla; it is the best of the lot.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 10:54   #3588
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 3,327 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Any feedback? We are a family travelling in a Kia Seltos.
Go for it. My summary of the Chorla vs Anmod routes (from mid December) can be read here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5215594 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

Don't know how the road is on the Mollem - Shigao etc. part of your route though.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th February 2022 at 10:57.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:09   #3589
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 402
Thanked: 594 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Planning to go to South Goa (Cavellosim) next weekend. Google Maps suggests this route....via Khanapur-Bhimgad sanctuary- Mollem-Shigao-Curchorem-Chinchinim-Orlim) is new to me. Any feedback? We are a family travelling in a Kia Seltos.
I travelled this route while coming back from South Goa on the 30th of Dec 2021 and have posted my review here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5224704 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

Per my experience, would suggest you take the Gmaps suggested - Anmod Ghat Route which I found to be in good shape overall barring two bad sections, first being for about 3-4kms and will come up right after turning off from Khanapur into the road leading upto the Bhimgad WLS. Next would last about 10kms and starts after the Bhimgad Nature Camp Gate all the way upto the Rangarok Village. Post this roads keep getting better all the way into Goa and the descent on the Ghats should be a fun drive, barring any traffic. One additional advice would be to try and make an early AM transit via Khanapur to avoid city traffic.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 14:52   #3590
Distinguished - BHPian
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,209
Thanked: 12,737 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'd suggest sticking to Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla; it is the best of the lot.
That would be my default route but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Go for it. My summary of the Chorla vs Anmod routes (from mid December) can be read here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5215594 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Per my experience, would suggest you take the Gmaps suggested - Anmod Ghat Route which I found to be in good shape overall barring two bad sections, first being for about 3-4kms and will come up right after turning off from Khanapur into the road leading upto the Bhimgad WLS. Next would last about 10kms and starts after the Bhimgad Nature Camp Gate all the way upto the Rangarok Village. Post this roads keep getting better all the way into Goa and the descent on the Ghats should be a fun drive, barring any traffic.
I didn't realise that was the Anmod ghat route I had posted from GMaps

Given that the bad stretches are quite short, think that's the route I will take this time. Thanks for the prompt help guys!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 09:05   #3591
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 28
Thanked: 161 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Planning to go to South Goa (Cavellosim) next weekend. Google Maps suggests this route:
Any feedback? We are a family travelling in a Kia Seltos.


Definitely would recommend Anmod ghat route. More picturesque. Less traffic. Narrower roads than Chorla but better ones. Easier to get to Cavelossim.
Aloneatma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:25   #3592
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 2 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Planning to drive from Agonda to Mumbai. Wanted to check if RT PCR is mandatory on entering Karnataka via Chorla /Anmod ghat. Would be great if anyone who drove this route can confirm?
Sunroof is offline  
Old 18th February 2022, 10:54   #3593
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 75
Thanked: 38 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi, I am planning to drive to South Goa from Borivali on Tuesday 22nd February 2022. CRETA-2018 Petrol
Planning to leave tentatively at 5.30 AM

While not worried about driving an extra hour/extra 25 odd kms,
Which route is the best to get there, keeping in mind,

a) Road Condition.
Anmod/Chorla/Amboli?

b) Avoiding Heavy/Truck Traffic
(Apparently, there is heavy trucks movement on Chorla Route

c) Avoiding narrow roads
Apparently, Amboli ghat roads are very narrow

Just found out that Karnataka has withdrawn the mandatory RT-PCR Rule for Maharashtra, Goa & Kerala States. Double Dose Vaccination Certificate needs to be produced at the border.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...and-goa-161094

Last edited by Irwin : 18th February 2022 at 11:15.
Irwin is offline  
Old 20th February 2022, 13:06   #3594
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 7 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

I took the Belagavi route to North Goa two weeks ago. The drive through Chorla ghat was nice most of the time except small patches where they were re-laying the road. The drive is slow, especially if you are coming off the expressway.
ranmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 20:02   #3595
BHPian
 
Dodge_Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 612
Thanked: 1,046 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Guys, not sure if this is the right thread, but has anyone recently traveled along Kumbharli ghat? The one which connects Umbraj and Chiplun?
Dodge_Viper is online now  
Old 20th February 2022, 21:42   #3596
Team-BHP Support
 
Axe77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,782
Thanked: 17,401 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmenon View Post
I took the Belagavi route to North Goa two weeks ago. The drive through Chorla ghat was nice most of the time except small patches where they were re-laying the road. The drive is slow, especially if you are coming off the expressway.
Oh really? Which part of North Goa specifically? I would have imagined that North Goa is still better accessed from Nipani / Amboli ghat. Iím riding in a few weeks from now to North Goa - plan to take Amboli.
Axe77 is online now  
Old 21st February 2022, 13:16   #3597
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 9
Thanked: 12 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
a) Road Condition.
Anmod/Chorla/Amboli?

c) Avoiding narrow roads
Apparently, Amboli ghat roads are very narrow
Travelled to North Goa on 13 Feb and returned on 19th Feb. Used Nipani, Ajra, Amboli route both ways. Road condition is very good except for a 10 odd km stretch after Ajra towards Amboli which is a rough patch. No large potholes, just broken top which needs re-surfacing, our Hexa cruised through the rough patch at 70-80 kmph without any problem. Its a proper two laned road, isnt narrow.

On this road, once you turn right frm NH48 towards Ajra / Amboli, beware of the small unmarked speed breakers you will encounter in Karnataka, at the entry and exit of moderate to sharp turns. Quite irritating. The speed breakers on this road in Maharashtra portion are better marked and gentle.

Hope this helps.

Adwait
Mika fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 21:48   #3598
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 75
Thanked: 38 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika fan View Post
Travelled to North Goa on 13 Feb and returned on 19th Feb. Used Nipani, Ajra, Amboli route both ways. Road condition is very good except for a 10 odd km stretch after Ajra towards Amboli which is a rough patch. No large potholes, just broken top which needs re-surfacing, our Hexa cruised through the rough patch at 70-80 kmph without any problem. Its a proper two laned road, isnt narrow.

On this road, once you turn right frm NH48 towards Ajra / Amboli, beware of the small unmarked speed breakers you will encounter in Karnataka, at the entry and exit of moderate to sharp turns. Quite irritating. The speed breakers on this road in Maharashtra portion are better marked and gentle.

Hope this helps.

Adwait
Hi Adwait,

Thanks a lot for your post about the route, proceeded to take the same route as mentioned by you, took a right at GOA VES/Tavandi, and as we were driving, the Google Maps/Navigation was suggesting that we take several of the side roads/shortcuts towards Gadhinglaj with lesser driving time, but we stuck to the Nippani Ajra Link Road all the way where Nippani Ajra Link Road met the T junction at Amboli Gadhinglaj Road, all the way till Danoli Market junction where the cops told us to turn left instead of going straight on the Sawantwadi Road, that road took us via Vilavade towards the exit at Banda.

Well as mentioned by you there are several stretches with broken tarmac & the biggest problems on this stretch are the slow-moving tractor-trailers loaded with sugarcane which sometimes block the road.
And also as mentioned by you those unmarked speed breakers are a big surprise & you can't see until you come so close to them.

But anyway, apart from a few concerns mentioned above, it was all uneventful till from the time we left at 6.15 AM from Borivali till we reached South Goa around 7.30 PM, with approximately 1.5 Hours for refreshments & Bio breaks.

Another problem was we faced heavy traffic from Pune till we exited the Khed Shivpur Toll Plaza, 15 minutes traffic jam at this particular Toll Plaza.

And there was no one to check for COVID double vaccination certificates near the Kognoli Toll Plaza at the Maharashtra-Karnataka Border.

The small kiosk on the roadside which was used to check for RT-PCR certificates was closed.

As we entered GOA at Patradevi, the lone policeman asked us if we had the double vaccination certificates, we said yes & before we could show it to him, he just waved us away.

Will try either the Anmod-Bhimgad-Belgaum or Chorla-Belgaum route on my return trip.

Thanks once again

Last edited by Irwin : 24th February 2022 at 21:58.
Irwin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 22:13   #3599
Distinguished - BHPian
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,209
Thanked: 12,737 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Took Anmod ghat route for the first time ever when we drove to South Goa (Cavellosim) last Saturday. This was as per the advice provided on this thread. And itís quite justified. I found the Belgaum-Khanapur-Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary-Anmod-Mollem route the most direct and least congested of the routes Iíve taken to Goa, notably Chorla route which is practically our default.

There are bad stretches on the jungle road, which incidentally closes at 6 pm, and it is quite narrow so be careful when encountering ongoing traffic but itís a very direct route with very little chances of a serious mishap (something that worries me at Chorla with its twisties). One more surprise was an absolutely brilliant stretch of road between Belgaum and Khanapur, 6 lanes of absolute black top that was a joy to rip on. Anmod ghat stretch on the Karnataka side is white topped for some reason and I expect the concrete to be quite slippery in the rains not to mention the height differential with the soft shoulder makes it a bit awkward to manage a narrow crossing.

But otherwise it was great: we saved a lot of time and completely avoided NH66 (probably my only Goa trip where this is happened!) Only ensure you turn on Google maps because where it drops you in South Goa is quite remote and you could get lost!

Edit: exactly one check en route either way: the Goa side checking for vaccination certificate and the Karnataka side for liquor.

Last edited by noopster : 24th February 2022 at 22:15.
noopster is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 11:03   #3600
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 170
Thanked: 83 Times
Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Guys, not sure if this is the right thread, but has anyone recently traveled along Kumbharli ghat? The one which connects Umbraj and Chiplun?
You can check these forums:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ueries-11.html (Pune to Ganpatipule : Route Queries)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ueries-18.html (Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries)
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks