Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2022, 19:24   #3676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0912 View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to travel from Pune to Candolim on 9th July and back on 13th july with my Spouse and Kid 4 yr old. Never travelled to Goa during Monsoon. Wanted to know if it is safe to travel during these dates? Would be taking Amboli route.
Its pretty safe and probably a good time before the roads become ingested with potholes.

Travel early morning so your journey is completed during daylight as the ghats can be a little tricky otherwise.
Also apply RainX or something similar on your windshield (front and back), windows, and ORVM to help with water beading.

In case of heavy rain : pls keep speeds in check as there can be flowing water which can result in aqua-planing.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 20:36   #3677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0912 View Post
Never travelled to Goa during Monsoon. Wanted to know if it is safe to travel during these dates? Would be taking Amboli route.
You'll love Goa in the monsoon; it (as do other coastal areas) have a special charm in the rainy season. Take Chorla, it is very scenic in the monsoon.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 21:58   #3678

Avoid Amboli ghats on the weekend as their will be a jam at the waterfall and you will lose two to three hours. The waterfalls will be crowded with people and cars for two kilometres both ways.

Cheers
adriansarita is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 12:42   #3679

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20220704_124001.jpg

Be advised that Anmod Ghat is closed due to landslide.
adriansarita is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:48   #3680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriansarita View Post
Be advised that Anmod Ghat is closed due to landslide.
Any idea, which section has got this issue? KA or GA side?
Old 4th July 2022, 20:41   #3681

No idea which side. But latest news from Goa days that the road is affected both sides and is closed.

Name:  IMG_20220704_203940.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  117.3 KB
Old 5th July 2022, 23:17   #3682

Any news on Amboli or Chorla ghat? I am planning to travel on 9th July. I would be travelling from Pune to Candolim. Such news makes me nervous, I love a drive in Monsoon.
Old 6th July 2022, 00:53   #3683

Hello fellow BHPians,
I am planning a family trip to North Goa during next week with my 3 month pregnant wife, 2 year old son, and my parents (both around 60 years of age). I am driving in my Tata Tigor AMT. I have previously done long trips (Mumbai to Raipur) in it without any issue. It has good road clearance and nice suspension. I am usually a laidback driver and like to drive comfortably. I have gone through all the posts and I have few questions:
1. How would be driving conditions in monsoon considering kids, wife and senior citizens?
2. Mumbai to Kolhapur route is figured out. Gmaps (and also in posts here) suggest Kolhapur-Nipani-Ajra-Amboli-Banda-Mandrem vs Kolhapur-Nipani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Malewad-Madrem. Any review of these routes recently, which is the preferred route after Amboli? How's the amboli ghar safety wise?
3. Are there any other routes which may take more time but is more comfortable compared to the above two routes?

Suggestions on the above and other notes would be much appreciated.
Old 6th July 2022, 01:58   #3684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksins View Post
Hello fellow BHPians,
I am planning a family trip to North Goa during next week with my 3 month pregnant wife, 2 year old son, and my parents (both around 60 years of age). I am driving in my Tata Tigor AMT.

Suggestions on the above and other notes would be much appreciated.
Amboli route is ok but don't drive via this route after the sunset, considering your passangers. Better to climb down the Amboli ghat before 5 pm.

I am suggesting this because of the rainy season. I have travelled via Amboli ghat with family in the night, in rainy weather. There are strong winds and heavy rains at times, visibility is poor. And in the night, you will hardly have any company on the road. After a long period of lonely drive in the dark and heavy rains, we had found company of a Mahindra pickup. But he was so fast, (probably because he was local, commuting daily) I could not follow him. Also, there are wild animals in the ghats.

I felt no threats from the thieves / looters. That way it is safe.

After climbing down the Amboli ghat, be watchful at Satuli. Keep right towards Sawantwadi. Avoid taking Satuli - Vilawade - Banda route, it was lonely route passing through many low lying areas and nalas. Not advisable even in the day time (I had taken this during the return trip). Lonely too.

After this, you need to keep left at a Y junction towards Sawantwadi. By mistake, I took right, towards Nirukhe. I had to turn back and it wasted 45 minutes. You will understand if you refer to the maps.

So, Amboli - Sawantwadi - Insuli - Banda - Pernem - Mandrem is my suggestion. Keep watching your position all the time after climbing the ghat till you cross Sawantwadi.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 6th July 2022 at 02:24.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 08:36   #3685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians,
I am planning a family trip to North Goa during next week with my 3 month pregnant wife, 2 year old son, and my parents (both around 60 years of age).
Where in north Goa? Panaji is flooded (as of yesterday evening). Given the monsoon situation, keep an eye out for news from a day or two before travel. Check with your hosts (relatives/hotel) in Goa regarding the condition there, before starting.

Quote:
2. Mumbai to Kolhapur route is figured out.
You're doing Mumbai - Goa in a day?! Expect rain delays at several places, starting with the Mumbai - Pune EW. I'd suggest breaking the journey to avoid taxing your wife. Personal opinion.

Quote:
3. Are there any other routes which may take more time but is more comfortable compared to the above two routes?
Anmod has heavy landslides as of yesterday, Chorla seems to be clear. No news on Amboli yet. Chorla is longer but might just be better. I'm not too fond of Amboli given how empty the new highway is. It is lovely to drive on, but given your travel party, it might be better to travel on a well-populated road.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 11:49   #3686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians,
I am planning a family trip to North Goa during next week with my 3 month pregnant wife.
OT- Hope you have taken the necessary precautions and consulted your gynaecologist before embarking on the trip, since, if I am not wrong, doctors normally advise not to travel during early pregnancy.
rakesh_r is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 12:21   #3687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Amboli route is ok but don't drive via this route after the sunset, considering your passangers. Better to climb down the Amboli ghat before 5 pm.

So, Amboli - Sawantwadi - Insuli - Banda - Pernem - Mandrem is my suggestion. Keep watching your position all the time after climbing the ghat till you cross Sawantwadi.
Much thanks @Rahul for your suggestion. I plan to drive during day time only. Will take the suggested route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Where in north Goa? Panaji is flooded (as of yesterday evening). Given the monsoon situation, keep an eye out for news from a day or two before travel. Check with your hosts (relatives/hotel) in Goa regarding the condition there, before starting.

You're doing Mumbai - Goa in a day?! Expect rain delays at several places, starting with the Mumbai - Pune EW. I'd suggest breaking the journey to avoid taxing your wife. Personal opinion.

Anmod has heavy landslides as of yesterday, Chorla seems to be clear. No news on Amboli yet. Chorla is longer but might just be better. I'm not too fond of Amboli given how empty the new highway is. It is lovely to drive on, but given your travel party, it might be better to travel on a well-populated road.
Sorry @libranof1987 I wasn't clear. I plan to do Mumbai to Karad/Kolhapur during first day and remaining route to North Goa (Mandrem) next day around noon. I am keeping a watch on weather and won't travel if current rains persists. I researched Chorla, but it seems to have scary drops and incoming traffic apart from adding an hour to the trip as per the feedback. Don't know how is Amboli in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
OT- Hope you have taken the necessary precautions and consulted your gynaecologist before embarking on the trip, since, if I am not wrong, doctors normally advise not to travel during early pregnancy.
Thanks Rakesh. Yes, the time after 3rd and before 7th month is the safer period for travel. My wife is also a doctor (anesthetist), we are consulting the gynecologist and getting routine scans done, if any complication, won't go.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th July 2022 at 12:38. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 6th July 2022, 15:49   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Much thanks @Rahul for your suggestion. I plan to drive during day time only. Will take the suggested route.
And there are surprise checks from the traffic police on the way. So do not forget to carry the documents. The insurance policy (at least the third party), a valid PUC, RC, DL.

Many times, I have seen the cops at an unexpected location. So do make sure:
  • You don't have films on the glasses.
  • Both the driver and the co-passanger wear the seat belt, all the time. Many times, people (especially the co-passanger) forgets to wear the seat belt after halting for food. And there you find the cops; at 2-3 km from the popular food stops.

The fines for the traffic violation have gone up substantially in last few years. So not wearing seat belt can be pretty costly. Cops are doing their duty, so we shall not argue with them.
Old 6th July 2022, 16:49   #3689

Thank you to all fellow BHPians for the useful information.
I am also planning to drive to Goa from Mumbai on 18th July. We are a senior couple and plan to leave at 5.00 am and either halt overnight in Kolhapur or drive on to Sawantwadi if daylight allows us to.
Would appreciate any tips on this. Ofcourse I will check for the weather foreacst a day earlier and from family and friends in Goa.
Old 7th July 2022, 11:19   #3690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
And there are surprise checks from the traffic police on the way. So do not forget to carry the documents. The insurance policy (at least the third party), a valid PUC, RC, DL.

Many times, I have seen the cops at an unexpected location. So do make sure:
  • You don't have films on the glasses.
  • Both the driver and the co-passanger wear the seat belt, all the time. Many times, people (especially the co-passanger) forgets to wear the seat belt after halting for food. And there you find the cops; at 2-3 km from the popular food stops.

The fines for the traffic violation have gone up substantially in last few years. So not wearing seat belt can be pretty costly. Cops are doing their duty, so we shall not argue with them.
Thanks for the heads up Rahul. I have got the covered up. I am a very compliant driver. I agree, policemen are doing their job.
maksins is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks