Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2022, 16:23   #3706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Driving down to Chorla from Mumbai on 31st July, how's the present condition of the roads.
Old 21st July 2022, 19:18   #3707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Driving down to Chorla from Mumbai on 31st July, how's the present condition of the roads.
Condition at Chorla is similar to that in Amboli. Had last seen last month. Rains have wreaked havoc. Roadwork had started on a war footing, but the sudden onslaught of rains has again screwed it up surely.
IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 21:19   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly update here if you happen to take Chorla, I need to take it in second week of August to reach Goa.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 12:48   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Kindly update here if you happen to take Chorla, I need to take it in second week of August to reach Goa.
I calculated the time needed to reach my destination in south Goa while coming from Pune. The difference between taking Chorla vs Anmod is around 45min. I am ok to stick to Anmod given I will spend more time on NH48 but need to travel to Dharwad and make a right towards Anmod. Clear NO NO to Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary even if it is the shortest route. I will be with my aged parents and trying to avoid any bad roads whatsoever. It is OK to drive more if roads are better and Anmod route appears to be the best option as of today (2 more weeks to go for my travel).
Old 29th July 2022, 13:12   #3710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am ok to stick to Anmod given I will spend more time on NH48 but need to travel to Dharwad and make a right towards Anmod.
I think you can join the Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar road by leaving NH48 at Kittur also. I had taken this route 3-4 years ago while travelling from Pune to Dandeli, though don't know how the road conditions are on that route as of today. Should save you around 30-40 kms, compared to going till Dharwad and then taking a right turn.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th July 2022 at 13:15.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 13:43   #3711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I think you can join the Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar road by leaving NH48 at Kittur also. I had taken this route 3-4 years ago while travelling from Pune to Dandeli, though don't know how the road conditions are on that route as of today. Should save you around 30-40 kms, compared to going till Dharwad and then taking a right turn.
I don't have current details of all routes other than https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...e-queries.html (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)
This looks ok since it is my regular route for Bangalore Goa travel. I prefer Chorla route for north Goa entry but waiting for updates.
Old 1st August 2022, 00:08   #3712
BHPian

Hi, this thread helped me in planning my trip to Goa from Mumbai last week. Thanks to everyone who has posted here before. We took the Amboli ghats route to Goa. The road from Kolhapur is in decent condition until Ajara. But thereafter there are multiple stretches of potholed roads which are very bad until the ghats begin. The ghat roads are good enough but it's better to avoid this route on weekends due to massive traffic jams until you cross the Amboli waterfalls.
mac13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 18:54   #3713
Team-BHP Support

Drove down to Goa on a Friday morning and returned on Sunday evening.

The route I picked was:

Onward: Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad - Anmod - Ponda - Home.

Return: Home - Mollem - Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Pune.

Reviews:

Pune - Kolhapur: is still the average road that it has been for a while. Thankfully most of the diversions are fixed between Pune and Satara. There are 1-2 odd that remain if I recall correctly. There is a new diversion between Satara and Kolhapur for road repair work. Wondering when that will complete.

Kolhapur - Belgaum: There had been ample amount of praises rained on this stretch in the past for road quality. However, I was shocked to see that the road between Sankeshwar and Belgaum in tatters. Massive ruts in both lanes where tyres meet the road surface. To dodge them, most vehicles drive away from the lanes and cause jams! Hopefully someone addresses this broken stretch before it turns nightmarish.

Belgaum - Khanapur: Awesome! The expressway style road is almost complete. Reduced driving time by atleast 20 minutes. Enjoy a traffic free well barricaded and well marked road.

Khanapur - Bhimgad - Anmod:: Is quite in tatters due to the rainfall that this region experiences. Some parts are ok while some are fully washed off. Exercise caution in this stretch.

Anmod - Mollem - Ponda: Paradise!! The best ghat roads there is between Konkan and the western ghats! Well maintained, well paved and now well marked. We had a Abarth Punto setting the roads on fire and boy did we have fun here!

On the return journey, we decided to try out the Ramnagar route:

Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur: Best avoided as the road is built in parts and is washed out for most part. The stretch between Anmod to Ramnagar is atleast wide enough to swerve around to avoid potholes and missing road connectors. The stretch between Ramnagar and Khanapur is a disaster. Best avoided.

Belgaum - Kolhapur: This stretch is surprisingly better than the one in the opposite direction. Perhaps because it is a concrete paved section.
moralfibre is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 08:40   #3714

Thanks moralfibre for the very useful update.

I am planning to drive to Goa on 11th. Will probably take the Amboli route while going as I am worried about the bhimgad Anmod road, especially late evening.

Coming back on Sunday, and will try the anmod route via Bhimgad and Khanapur. Will update post the trip. Meanwhile, would love to hear updates about the Amboli stretch.
Old 7th August 2022, 10:19   #3715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drove to Swapnagandha resort in Chorla Ghats on 31st July SUnday morning. Left at 4 am from Thane and reached the resort at 12:30 pm. Roads in MH are good, barring a few rough patches here and there. KA roads are excellent and very well managed tolls, this is something that always amazes me, why are tolls in MH such a mess and pathetically managed. Roads through Belagavi city are decent, but there can be delays due to city traffic. The roads in Chorla Ghat are very well maintained, only few areas with Tree covers are in really bad state, small patches of 50 - 100 metres, can be easily managed. One thing that helped was there was absolutely no rains. In case it rains heavily, driving can be difficult here.

Drove onwards to Betalbatim beach on 2nd August, the roads further on Chorla towards Goa are also great.

Drove back towards Mumbai from Ashwem on 6th August, left around 9 am and reached Thane by 8 pm. The roads within Sawantwadi are bad and slows down the pace, Amobli Ghat road surface is good, but watch out for traffic due to people parking their vehicles on the roads for waterfalls, try to cross early morning. Post Amboli Ghat there are lot of bad patches in between till Ajara, post that the roads are decent.

The Kolhapur Kagal stretch as usual is amazing!

A pic from Chorla Ghat
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img20220802wa0012.jpg  

Maverick5490 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 12:39   #3716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A pic from Chorla Ghat
This gives me confidence to take Chorla ghat in a week's time for my drive to north Goa from Pune. I am making a halt at Belgaum since starting in the evening from Pune and starting early next morning towards Goa.
Old 7th August 2022, 19:04   #3717
BHPian

Folks .. any update on Gaganbawda route down to Talere? Had been there earlier in the year and it was in tatters. would appreciate any latest info.
Old 8th August 2022, 09:20   #3718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This gives me confidence to take Chorla ghat in a week's time for my drive to north Goa from Pune. I am making a halt at Belgaum since starting in the evening from Pune and starting early next morning towards Goa.
Yes, if you start from Belgaum early morning, the ghat will be completely empty and you will enjoy the drive. Just be extra cautious in case it rains heavily.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 12:37   #3719
BHPian

Drove to Calangute on 5 Aug and returned on 7 Aug:

Route: Chinchwad - Satara - Kolhapur - Belagavi - Patane Phata - Tilari Nagar - Dodamarg - Thivim - Calangute. Return was the same route.

Although was advised to avoid this route, a friend who had driven via Tilari ghat said the route is in good condition and so thought of trying it out. The road is in somewhat broken condition for the stretch from Patane Phata up to Tilari Nagar. However, it is not a major concern and even a low GC vehicle will not scrape anything. There are no major potholes all along the way. The road down Tilari ghat is in pristine condition and it is not desolate although vehicles in either direction are few. Best part is there are no heavy vehicles like trucks on this route - only Boleros working as cargo vehicles. The ghat is really scenic, especially with the monsoons.

Started from Chinchwad railway station at 3:40 am and reached our hotel in Candolim at 1:15 p.m covering about 475 km, sedate driving and rarely exceeding 80 km/h. Also took a break for about 30 minutes at a newly opened Vithal Kamats somewhere around Karad. Will not comment on the road condition between Kolhapur and Belgaum as that is already described in an earlier post - however, it is good for most part except a small stretch where some work is going on.
Paraag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 19:47   #3720
BHPian

COCO Fuel Stations along this route

I, like many of you, prefer to use fuel from COCO Fuel Stations as much as possible. While I know some of the COCO stations along this route, I am sure there are few, which I am unaware of. The websites of those Companies (HP, BP and IOCL) are not very clear on which are COCO and their precise locations.
So, I thought to list some of the stations that I am ware of. Please add others that I might have missed.
[Mods: Please move this to any other more appropriate thread]

Websites which I looked for information are:
HPCL: https://hproroute.hpcl.co.in/ROAlongRoute/index.jsp
BPCL: https://www.mysmartfleet.com/en-us/S.../LocateUs.aspx
IOCL: https://associates.indianoil.co.in/PumpLocator/

But, again, these pages are not best in ease of use and accuracy of information, leave alone knowing if these pumps are COCO!
dmplog is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks