Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2023, 16:09   #3856
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hello, while using this route, did you face any issues because of the protests that were happening on the highway some days ago due to the KA - MH border dispute? Or is the situation ok to travel via Belgaum now?
I just went from Bbay to Goa (Bambolim) and back last week on the bike. Kolhapur, Nipany, Amboli ghat, Sawantwadi, NH 66. Both ways.

No issues whatsoever due to border issues. The roads are also great almost through and through barring some very small portions of bad patches between Amboli and Ajara I think.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2023 at 16:36.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 19:16   #3857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
We, however did not have any issues and neither encountered any traffic jam, traffic barriers etc whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
No issues whatsoever due to border issues.
Thanks for your replies, quite relieved to read them. I am planning a Goa trip next week and most likely will use the Anmod or Chorla route to reach South Goa. As I will have to drive through Belgaum for that, just wanted to double check from people who have travelled recently. Will post an update once I am back. Thanks again!
Old 16th January 2023, 20:28   #3858
BHPian

Travelled on 7 Jan from Mumbai to Panjim via Amboli. Barring very minor stretches, road is fine even if a bit boring. On the way back on 12 Jan travelled from South Goa to Pune via Anmod. As mentioned previously in another post, road is bad for 7-8 kms in two stretches after the KA checkpost, requires travelling at a crawl through a cratered road. Rest of it is good scenic roads.

Cannot give a good estimate of which route would be faster, because we were driving super slow in the ghat stretches due to the kids having motion sickness. However, I get the feeling Amboli would be more convenient.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th January 2023 at 21:03. Reason: Minor typo.
Achu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 19:05   #3859
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I would be driving to south Goa from Pune on 26th Jan. Confused between two routes- Via Amboli or via Belgaum?

Which should I take? Would avoid the ONI route as it increases the drive time by about an hour. Any recent travellers would like your advice. This is the first time I would be travelling to Goa.
Old 25th January 2023, 11:10   #3860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I would be driving to south Goa from Pune on 26th Jan. Confused between two routes- Via Amboli or via Belgaum? Which should I take? Would avoid the ONI route as it increases the drive time by about an hour. Any recent travellers would like your advice. This is the first time I would be travelling to Goa.
Hi,

I travelled to South Goa (Betalbatim) on Jan 20 and returned to Pune on Jan 23. Onward journey was via Amboli and return journey via Anmod ghat.

Road conditions on the Amboli route are mostly ok, with the odd bad patch and speed breakers. However, it passes through a couple of small villages/towns, where I got stuck in mini-traffic jams. Nothing major though, the hold-up was just for 5 mins or so on each occasion. Even after entering Goa at Banda, progress till South Goa was relatively smooth without any traffic jams. But personally, I found this route quite boring, maybe because Anmod/Chorla are my usual picks while travelling to/from South Goa.

On the return journey, I took the Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur route just for a change, even though I usually come via the Anmod - Bhimgad WLS - Khanapur route. I would not recommend this route at all. Majority of the road from Anmod check point till Ramnagar is ok, but you have to watch out for several bad patches which pop up quite suddenly. Ramnagar - Khanapur is very tiring though, as there are lots of diversions due to ongoing road work. If you do choose the Anmod route, I would advise turning left (on the return journey) at the Anmod check point and coming via the Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary. A couple of locals and my relatives in Goa told me that except for a really broken patch of approx. 10-15 kms, rest of the route is manageable. In my view, crawling through that patch in 1st / 2nd gear would be preferable rather than enduring the never ending kaccha diversions on the Ramnagar - Khanapur route.

Another alternative to reach Belgaum is Chorla ghat. From what I heard in Goa, road conditions there are also quite ok, but interspersed with the odd deep potholes, specially on the turns in the ghat.

During the return journey, police diverted us from Khanapur and advised us to take a detour via Parishwad - Bagewadi to reach the Mumbai - Bangalore highway, as there was a major block on the Khanapur - Belgaum road due to a farmers' protest. So the return journey took me 12 hours instead of the usual 9.5-10 hours.

Whichever option you choose, follow the speed limits once you enter Goa and keep all car documents handy, as I noticed quite a few police squads on the roads this time (though I was stopped only once).

Happy journey!
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 12:33   #3861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I travelled to South Goa (Betalbatim) on Jan 20 and returned to Pune on Jan 23. Onward journey was via Amboli and return journey via Anmod ghat.

Whichever option you choose, follow the speed limits once you enter Goa and keep all car documents handy, as I noticed quite a few police squads on the roads this time (though I was stopped only once).

Happy journey!
Thanks, I believe the Amboli route would be perfect for first timers like me (even my newly wed wife). Want no hassles.

On the documents front, is soft copy enough or need to carry hard copy too? I have the DL, and Smart card handy, but have only the soft copy of insurance. Anything else needed?
Old 25th January 2023, 12:43   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the documents front, is soft copy enough or need to carry hard copy too? I have the DL, and Smart card handy, but have only the soft copy of insurance. Anything else needed?
Soft copy usually works, but I personally prefer a print out as it's much quicker to just take it out of the glove box/bag and hand it over to the police for checking, rather than unlock the phone, open Digilocker/Parivahan app and then show it to them.

Keep the DL, car reg'n smart card, valid PUC and car insurance with you. Nothing else needed.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 07:50   #3863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the information. I took the onward journey through anmod ghat and except for a 30 min really bad patch near the bhimgad wls, the entire journey was relatively smooth. I would be returning back to Pune today, and would prefer to take the same route.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:30   #3864
BHPian

Found the attached news item today - does anyone know more?
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230130-08.50.40.jpeg  

Old 30th January 2023, 21:36   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I took the onward journey through anmod ghat and except for a 30 min really bad patch near the bhimgad wls, the entire journey was relatively smooth. I would be returning back to Pune today, and would prefer to take the same route.
Didn't return through anmod, instead came back through chorla ghat. The road is more deserted and isn't as good as the anmod ghat, but it's not also as bad as the 30 min patch in the bhimgad wls. Total distance increased by about 15 kms through this route.

Anmod route would be preferable, though by slight margin. Else both routes are good.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 08:27   #3866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Translated to English: the current one-way flyover at Karad will be demolished to make way for a new two-way flyover. They're warning of an hour's delay.

Why this wasn't a two-way flyover right from the start is anyone's guess. This is going to make trips on NH48 a misery, considering how bad the situation is even right now.
Old 31st January 2023, 08:44   #3867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Amazing planning, no words.
Is there a bypass route to avoid this? Ofcourse that too will be super crowded.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 31st January 2023 at 08:46.
Old 1st February 2023, 00:49   #3868
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Has anyone used the following route : Goa to Poona :

Mapusa to Assonora to Dodamarg to Ambeli to Tillari Nagar to Chandgad to Gadhinglaj and then joining NH4 near Tavande Ghat?

This is SH 130 from Dodamarg onwards till NH4.

I got some reports that the roads around Amboli and Ajra are still rough so wanted to avoid them.

Awaiting your answers,
Regards,
SS
Old 5th February 2023, 10:20   #3869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Translated to English: the current one-way flyover at Karad will be demolished to make way for a new two-way flyover. They're warning of an hour's delay.

Why this wasn't a two-way flyover right from the start is anyone's guess. This is going to make trips on NH48 a misery, considering how bad the situation is even right now.
Hi Libran and sschivate,

Does anyone here have any updates on this Karad flyover demolition / construction. When is it going to start /finish etc.?

If any one has passed by recently, any updates would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 6th February 2023, 12:45   #3870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Amazing planning, no words.
Is there a bypass route to avoid this? Ofcourse that too will be super crowded.
Here is the news item in TOI Pune (Sunday)
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_4184.jpg
sschivate is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed