Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 22:32   #496
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hello Guys,
Planning to drive to Goa from Mumbai on 26th October. I will be driving along with my wife and 7 year old son. I need our members advice on the following,

1. I plan to start from Mumbai at 3pm. Plan to reach Kolhapur at 9pm and make the night halt at Kolhapur
2. Start from Kolhapur next morning for Arossim (south Goa).
3. I am confused about which route to take. Should I take the Sankheswar Sawantwadi route and enter Goa from north or should I drive past Belgaum and then take the NH4A via Ramnagar-Anmod and enter Goa from Mollem-Ponda
4. I will be driving in my Fiat Linea

I can see on the map that the Ramnagar route is a longer route but I'd the roads are better it make sense. Also, can someone update me on the road condition from Pune till Ramnagar? And from Ramnagar till Ponda?

Likewise, please tell me road condition from Sankheswar till North Goa border?

Please help!
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:00   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1310 View Post
Hello Guys,
Planning to drive to Goa from Mumbai on 26th October. I will be driving along with my wife and 7 year old son. I need our members advice on the following,

1. I plan to start from Mumbai at 3pm. Plan to reach Kolhapur at 9pm and make the night halt at Kolhapur
3. I am confused about which route to take. Should I take the Sankheswar Sawantwadi route and enter Goa from north or should I drive past Belgaum and then take the NH4A via Ramnagar-Anmod and enter Goa from Mollem-Ponda

I can see on the map that the Ramnagar route is a longer route but I'd the roads are better it make sense. Also, can someone update me on the road condition from Pune till Ramnagar? And from Ramnagar till Ponda?

Please help!
Hi Omar,good to see you back on the forum,

3pm means you would reach Pune by 6pm only(not sure from where in Mumbai you are leaving).Pune-Kolhapur would take you 5hours thanks to all the local traffic and chaos at the toll gates.So you would reach Kolhapur only by 10-11pm at best.

NH4A has been patched up now as of yesterday(as per Sahir Kittur who is a regular on that route).Since you are headed to Arossim,it would be good that you do Kolhapur-Belgaum via NH4 and then onto NH4A.

Go via Rani Chenamma circle at Belgaum onto to Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem-Ponda-Margaon-Arossim.Budget for a 3 hour drive from Belgaum to Ponda.Kolhapur-Belgaum should take you around 2hours at your slowest best.Overall a 5hour drive from Belgaum to Arossim

Kolhapur Raysons Regency is a good place to stay.Where are you staying in Arossim?
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:13   #498
BHPian

Hey Ranjit,
Thanks! I have been regular in TBHP but normally don't log in. I will be starting from Kanjurmarg so I will hit Hinjewadi in about two and half hours at max. I thought I will take about 6 hours till Kolhapur. May be by 9:30pm. That is 6:30 hours. How is the road till Belgaum? It's the 4 lane highway so guess it will be Ok.

I thought as much that I will take about 5 hours from Kolhapur.

Thanks a ton for this help. Team BHP rocks!

I will be at a friends place while in Goa.

I will post my experience and the road conditions for our fellow members!
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:54   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ranjit,
Thanks! I have been regular in TBHP but normally don't log in. I will be starting from Kanjurmarg so I will hit Hinjewadi in about two and half hours at max. I thought I will take about 6 hours till Kolhapur. May be by 9:30pm. That is 6:30 hours. How is the road till Belgaum? It's the 4 lane highway so guess it will be Ok.
Kolhapur-Belgaum is excellent.Once you cross over into Karnataka,the road condition improves tremendously and traffic reduces considerably.Kolhapur-Belgaum in full throttle can be done in an hour,the roads are that good.Yes you could target for a 10pm arrival at Kolhapur.Its really crazy at the toll booths between Pune & Kolhapur,with no sense of discipline and the toll attendants taking ages to complete the transaction.Carry plenty of loose change with you,unless you want some toffees for your son(courtesy the toll attendants!)
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:32   #500
Senior - BHPian

Reached Goa at 5 pm. Had started at 5:45 from Yerwada. Road after Belgaum till Goa border are bad. Amboli ghat is in good condition and is a pleasure to drive.
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:14   #501
BHPian

Hi friends , I am driving from Pune to Goa on the 27th Oct in my Tuscon. I plan to do the following route. Pune- Kolahapur- gaganbawda- kanakvali- savantvadi- Goa . Last year the road condition between Kolahapur - Gagan bawda- Kanakvali was motorable with small stretches of bad roads, is it now repaired??
Or is the Kolahapur- Radhanagri - Sawantvadi road any better??

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Cheers
CM Narayan
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:09   #502
DKW
BHPian

Hello Team,

I'm planning a trip to Goa from Bombay in the 2nd week of November. Just a little confused on which route to take. My destination in Goa is Sarzora which is in Salcete (South Goa) so it does make sense to take NH4A via Belgaum - Ramnagar - Londa - Kulem - Sanvordem - Quepem -Sarzora. However I have never been on this route and then you have bad roads and Mining trucks but now with the mining ban in Goa things should have improved. Or should I stick to the tried and tested Nippani Sankeshwar route to Sawantwadi and Goa.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:37   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivealot View Post
Hi friends , I am driving from Pune to Goa on the 27th Oct in my Tuscon. I plan to do the following route. Pune- Kolahapur- gaganbawda- kanakvali- savantvadi- Goa . Last year the road condition between Kolahapur - Gagan bawda- Kanakvali was motorable with small stretches of bad roads, is it now repaired??

Cheers
CM Narayan
Radhanagari-Phondaghat as well as the Bawda routes are bad at the moment as per somebody who drove the sections a couple of weeks back.Better to go via NH4A from Belgaum as it has been reported to be patched now.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:04   #504
BHPian

Hi Omar, I drove on the NH4/ NH4A from Pune to Goa and back end Sept .
While going to Goa I took the NH4 to Belgaum and then took the Sh121 via Amboli to Sawantvadi and then on to Goa. Other than the awesome waterfalls and lovely scenery enroute the drive took me 5hrs as well.

On my way back it took me 4.5 hrs from Goa to Belgaum. 50-60 kms of very bad roads. Huge Craters.
But Belgaum to Pune stretch can be done in 5hrs max including a 15min break..
As per latest info just recieved from my business associate in Belgaum, some of the craters have been filled in hence the road is motorable but at slower speeds. This has been confirmed by readers of TBHP as well.
So either way we were cought between the "Devil and the Deep Sea"
My close friend is also driving to Goa from Pune on the 25th and is planning to take the Sankeshwar rd to Goa. he will call me on the 25th and let me know the road condition and I will share the same for the benefit of all.
Incedentaly My wife, 8yr old daughter & I are also leaving very early for Goa from Pune on the 27th .
PM me if you need help.
Cheers & Safe Driving
Wish all the readers a Very Happy Diwali.
CM Narayan

Quote:
Hello Guys,

Please help!
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:37   #505
BHPian

Thanks to all for this help! So just to summarize, worst case is as mentioned below
1. Mumbai to Pune ( till Chandani Chowk bypass) 2:30 hours
2. Pune to Kolhapur (till hotel on the station road) 4:30 hours
3. Kolhapur to Belgaum bypass (till the start of NH4A) 1:30 hours
4. Belgaum till Arossim (till destination) via Ramnagar - Mollem - Ponda : 4 hours

Total 12:30 hours

Since I am breaking this journey in 2 Parts guess its ok!

Await pictures and my report on this journey!

Team BHP rocks!!!

I will be online on TBHP on the iPhone. Hence all members having information between 26th Oct and 30th Oct on this route, keep posting the details if you have any!
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:45   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivealot

Cheers
CM Narayan
I would prefer the radhanagari road over bawada road for 2 reasons. One is of corse road condition, which is better on phonda ghat road and second is with phonda ghat road you need to travell less on NH17. The patch of NH17 is pathetic to say the least, avoid Asa much as possible.
Old 23rd October 2011, 11:54   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post

My destination in Goa is Sarzora which is in Salcete (South Goa) so it does make sense to take NH4A via Belgaum - Ramnagar - Londa - Kulem - Sanvordem - Quepem -Sarzora.
The better route would be NH4A till Mollem-Ponda and then divert to Madgaon and onwards to Sarzora via NH17.I dont think the roads on the Kulem route would be motorable after the monsoons.Goa members might be able to reconfirm this.Distance wise there is hardly any difference between the two route maybe a 10-15kms difference.At the moment NH4A has been patched up and if there are no more rains in the area,the NH4A should hold good thanks to the absence of the mining trucks.Belgaum to Madgaon should take you around 3.5-4hours at your slowest best.
ranjitp1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 14:03   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

I'm planning a trip to Goa from Bombay in the 2nd week of November.
My destination in Goa is Sarzora Thanks
DKW was quite a fine German Motorcycle/Automobile company, so thats a nice nick. Any bearing or connection to the motorycle? The other word that piqued my inerest in your post was Sarzora. I'm trying to locate some folk down there in Sazora P-Baand which I think is Zone 5. I wanted to go there this time but I've come to Goa minus my car. So I am wondering if you could help me in anyway. Oh I agree with ranjit's post of the route you ought to choose.
Obrigado.
Nigel

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 23rd October 2011 at 14:24.
Old 23rd October 2011, 14:57   #509
DKW
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
DKW was quite a fine German Motorcycle/Automobile company, so thats a nice nick. Any bearing or connection to the motorycle? The other word that piqued my inerest in your post was Sarzora. I'm trying to locate some folk down there in Sazora P-Baand which I think is Zone 5. I wanted to go there this time but I've come to Goa minus my car. So I am wondering if you could help me in anyway. Oh I agree with ranjit's post of the route you ought to choose.
Obrigado.
Nigel
Hi Nigel, My father used to work on DKW cars imported by Dadajee Dhackjee in Bombay. He would test drive them before delivery.

In Sarzora I'm at the Vittolem Waddo so not sure I'd know your folks from P-Baand. Let me know their names to check with Mum as she keeps a tab on most people in Sarzora. BTW I'lll be in Goa on the 11th or 12th of November. Just Buzz me in case you need help.

Cheers.
Old 23rd October 2011, 22:27   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nigel, My father used to work on DKW cars imported by Dadajee Dhackjee in Bombay. He would test drive them before delivery.
In Sarzora I'm at the Vittolem Waddo so not sure I'd know your folks from P-Baand. Let me know their names to check with Mum as she keeps a tab on most people in Sarzora. .
Ola amigo,
In may I intended to drive back on the NH4A and it would have been good cos it was a sunday so no mining trucks then. BUt went by amboli
very interesting. "work on" is the operative word here and my father used to do the same. PDI. I inherited a BMW which was used by the Portuguese army and before that in North africa in WWII from my dad. I will PM you the names and the last known address in P-Baand when Im back in Bombay. I leave on tuesday
Thanks

Most Viewed