Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 23:30   #511
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Sahir Ji, Wold you know the current road condition beween Sawantwadi- Chorla?? Pls help as we are planning this route on my way back from Goa
Best rgds
narayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Hey Mates, Hold On !! Flying in to Goa on friday early morning. Will be taking the Airport - Ponda - Mollem - Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur - Belgaum route.
Will update the status of the route.
Saturday will be doing Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa route.
Will update this one too.

Wonder how many will take me advise , Nigel knows what I am talking about , Right Nigel ? remember My fav Chorla Route, I did not mean to scare you to take the train to Goa my bro
Old 25th October 2011, 09:57   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivealot View Post
Hi Sahir Ji, Wold you know the current road condition beween Sawantwadi- Chorla?? Pls help as we are planning this route on my way back from Goa
Best rgds
narayan

Please avoid Chorla, Sawantwadi is a batter option.
Search my thread on Chorla route.
Cheers.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:10   #513
BHPian

Going by some advices in this thread this seems to be the best route: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa.

I'm starting from Mumbai on 27th October, please advise.
Old 26th October 2011, 08:38   #514
BHPian

Hi!
I reached Belgaum last evening. Mumbai to Belgaum non stop with 5 minutes break only in 7 hours.

For the benefit o the members, please find the summary of the journey from Mumbai till Belgaum

I started from Kanjurmarg, Mumbai at 16:05 hours. My wife drove till the end of expressway. We reached the end of expressway at 18:00 hours.

From that point we reached Kolhapur at 22:00 hours and decided to drive till Belgaum. We drove till Belgaum and reached out hotel in Belgaum at 23:00 hours.

The road conditions are as mentioned below

1. Mumbai Pune expressway : 10/10
2. Pune till Satara 4 lane : 7.5/10 (lots or bike traffic but you still can drive at a peak speed of 100kmph and average about 60kmph
3. Satara Kolhapur road : 8.5/10 ( Very good road and less traffic )
4. Kolhapur Belgaum road : 9.5/10 ( Excellent road and you can cover 95kms from Kolhapur toll til Belgaum city in 1 hours.

I am now leaving for Goa via Ramnagar- Anmod-Ponda. I will update the status.

Regards
omar1310 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 15:31   #515
BHPian

Happy Diwali to everyone!

@ omar1310 - thanks for the update, 7 hours is an excellent time. Please update on the remaining part of the travel. I am sure you will be in Goa by now :-)

I am starting for Goa tomorrow morning from Pune. Plan to do the route I have taken since the last 3 times: Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa. @ crackparag - what time are you starting from mumbai?

Only couple of things to consider -
1. If I stick to the above route, then in the "Goa - been there, done that" thread by lucifer1881, he mentioned the small detour after end of Amboli ghat to bypass Sawantwadi, not sure whether I should try it. Can someone please guide me?

2. If omar1310 updates that the Belgaum route is better, I might be tempted to try it
Old 26th October 2011, 17:12   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
1. If I stick to the above route, then in the "Goa - been there, done that" thread by lucifer1881, he mentioned the small detour after end of Amboli ghat to bypass Sawantwadi, not sure whether I should try it. Can someone please guide me?
Not sure which is the detour,there is a road to the left after amboli which mentions Goa/Panjim that road is total off roading stuff and best avoided.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 17:45   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Happy Diwali to everyone!

@ omar1310 - thanks for the update, 7 hours is an excellent time. Please update on the remaining part of the travel. I am sure you will be in Goa by now :-)

I am starting for Goa tomorrow morning from Pune. Plan to do the route I have taken since the last 3 times: Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa. @ crackparag - what time are you starting from mumbai?

Only couple of things to consider -

2. If omar1310 updates that the Belgaum route is better, I might be tempted to try it

Hi Meer,
I too am leaving for Goa tomorow early morning around 5.30am from Pune.
My friend is enroute to Goa from Pune via Sankeshwar- ajra- amboli- Sawantwadi - Goa.
Parallely OMAR is also enroute to Goa via Belgaum.

Pls wait until this evening and I will send my friends report on this forum for the benefit of all.
Based on both reports we can take a call as to which road to take.

The shortcut to byepass Sawantwadi is Bad when one of my friends tried that route a month ago. Hence AVOID the shortcut.

As of now the the NH4 to Belgaum followed by NH4A to GOA option seems to be the best. ie Pune- Kolhapur- Belgaum- Khanapur- Ramnagar-Anmod- Goa .

If you need any help pls feel free to PM me and I will send you my Mobile no .
Cheers
and finally
Wishing you and family a very happy Diwali.
Safe Driving
CM Narayan
Drivealot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 17:57   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Not sure which is the detour,there is a road to the left after amboli which mentions Goa/Panjim that road is total off roading stuff and best avoided.
Thanks Ranjit, much appreciated!
This option is ruled out completely.
Old 26th October 2011, 18:01   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Meer,
I too am leaving for Goa tomorow early morning around 5.30am from Pune.
My friend is enroute to Goa from Pune via Sankeshwar- ajra- amboli- Sawantwadi - Goa.
Parallely OMAR is also enroute to Goa via Belgaum.

Pls wait until this evening and I will send my friends report on this forum for the benefit of all.
Based on both reports we can take a call as to which road to take.

The shortcut to byepass Sawantwadi is Bad when one of my friends tried that route a month ago. Hence AVOID the shortcut.

As of now the the NH4 to Belgaum followed by NH4A to GOA option seems to be the best. ie Pune- Kolhapur- Belgaum- Khanapur- Ramnagar-Anmod- Goa .

If you need any help pls feel free to PM me and I will send you my Mobile no .
Cheers
and finally
Wishing you and family a very happy Diwali.
Safe Driving
CM Narayan
Thanks CM Narayan, I have been following your updates and they have been great help. Good to know you are starting tomorrow as well. I will PM you shortly, it will be good to sync up.

So the options now are:
1. Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa
2. Pune- Kolhapur- Belgaum- Khanapur- Ramnagar-Anmod- Goa

Based on the response, Option 2 becomes preferred till we hear your report on your friend's experience and Omar's update.

Cheers...
Old 26th October 2011, 19:59   #520
BHPian

Quote:
@ crackparag - what time are you starting from mumbai?
I'm leaving Mumbai tonight around 9 for Pune, staying back in Pune and leaving around 5 - 6 am tomorrow morning from Pune.

So as I see it, We're atleast 3 bhpians starting from Pune tomorrow morning. Hope to catch you all.

And I'm sold out on option 1 above, till Drivealot comes with further updates.

Last edited by crackparag : 26th October 2011 at 20:00.
Old 26th October 2011, 20:17   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks CM Narayan, I have been following your updates and they have been great help. Good to know you are starting tomorrow as well. I will PM you shortly, it will be good to sync up.

So the options now are:
1. Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa
2. Pune- Kolhapur- Belgaum- Khanapur- Ramnagar-Anmod- Goa

Based on the response, Option 2 becomes preferred till we hear your report on your friend's experience and Omar's update.

Cheers...
Hi I just got news from my friend who has reached Chorla this evening.
He took the following Route from Pune to Chorla.
NH4 ---- Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani ... 7/10
NH4/ SH121---Nipani - Sankeshwar- 6/10 ( after 12kms after Nipani take the exit , turn right and pass below the bridge to Sankeshwar)
SH121------ Sankeshwar- Amboli- Sawantwadi ... 5/10
SH124----- Sawantwadi- Sanquelim- 6.5/10
SH 31----- Sanquelim- Chorla 6/10

To Goa via Sankeshwar & Sawantwadi
NH4/ SH121---Nipani - Sankeshwar- 6/10 ( after 12kms after Nipani take the exit , turn right and pass below the bridge to Sankeshwar)
NH17 ------- Sawantwadi - Panjim(Goa) 6.5/10

To Goa via Belgaum, Ramnagar & Anmod
NH4 ---- Pune - Kolhapur ... 7/10 Driving Time 4hrs
Nh4 ---- Kolhapur- Belgaum... 8.5/10 Driving Time 1hr
NH4A --- Belgaum- Goa ....... 6/10 Driving Time 4hrs
Total time 9hrs which includes 30mins of stop time for breaks

So summing up it is clear that even though the Sankeshwar road is motorable and not bad it is better to take the NH4 to Belgaum and then on take the NH4A via Khanapur, Ramnagar- Anmod- Goa

Cheers and Safe Driving
CM Narayan
Old 26th October 2011, 21:01   #522
BHPian

""To Goa via Sankeshwar & Sawantwadi
NH17 ------- Sawantwadi - Panjim(Goa) 6.5/10""

Sorry friends , forgot to add the driving time for above route

Pune - Nipani 3.75hrs driving time
Nipani- Sankeshwar .5hrs
Sankeshwar- Sawantwadi .. 3hrs
Sawantwadi- Panjim... 3hrs
Total Time including 30 mins stop time :- 10hrs 15mins
Cheers
CM Narayan
Old 26th October 2011, 21:30   #523
Senior - BHPian

I'm a bit confused here

The distance between Nipani to Sankeshwar to turn to Gadinglaj is more than 12 km,

How ever the distance between Tawandi ghat turn to uttur at the Satyawati palace / kaveri restaurants to this turn to gadinglaj is approx 12 kms
SH 121 is between Shinoli near belgaum to the intersection on the amboli ajra SH134

Sankeshwar / Gadinglaj / Ajra / Amboli / further is SH 134 no SH 121 as you mention

I'm no expert but couldn't your friend have gone to Chorla from the NH4A via Jamboti on SH 31? If yes then why did he go via Sawantwadi which looks to be the longer.

Quote:
Hi I just got news from my friend who has reached Chorla this evening.
He took the following Route from Pune to Chorla.
SH124----- Sawantwadi- Sanquelim- 6.5/10
SH 31----- Sanquelim- Chorla 6/10

To Goa via Sankeshwar & Sawantwadi
NH17 ------- Sawantwadi - Panjim(Goa) 6.5/10

To Goa via Belgaum, Ramnagar & Anmod
NH4 ---- Pune - Kolhapur ... 7/10 Driving Time 4hrs
Nh4 ---- Kolhapur- Belgaum... 8.5/10 Driving Time 1hr
NH4A --- Belgaum- Goa ....... 6/10 Driving Time 4hrs
Total time 9hrs which includes 30mins of stop time for breaks

So summing up it is clear that even though the Sankeshwar road is motorable and not bad it is better to take the NH4 to Belgaum and then on take the NH4A via Khanapur, Ramnagar- Anmod- Goa

Cheers and Safe Driving
CM Narayan
Old 26th October 2011, 21:59   #524
BHPian

Ok guys, here is the update for all those who might have just started or plan to do so tomorrow morning.

I update earlier on Mumbai-Belgaum

From Belgaum to Goa via NH4A, please find the details below

1. Belgaum to Khanapur (approx. 25 mms) road is good with approx. 1-2 mms of bad patch
2. Khanapur to Ramnagar : The road is bad, I would say about 50% is just OK and balance is bad but not pits or craters
3. From Ramnagar towards Anmod, another 10-15kms is bad but no craters, the road from there on is good barring very negligible bad patches. The road is Anmod ghat is good and there on it's good.

I took exactly 3:30 hours to reach from my hotel to Arossim in south Goa. While we approached Ponda we did see some mining trucks but nothin to worry as it didn't hold up the traffic.

I haven't taken the Sankheswar route but guess this one pretty ok to take!

Just be careful to brake and maneuver as the bad patches near Ramnagar and about 10-15kms after that suddenly show up after a good run.

Happy motoring!

By the way, is 7 hours from Kanjurmarg to Belgaum quick enough? I thought I drove pretty much in control and not exceeding 120 barring very few surges of going unto 130-140, that too very very negligible. Of course I just had a 5 minutes break and 2 instances just to change between me and my wife to alter the driver's seat!

By the way, the 1.4 FIRE engine was just as good not feeling underpowered as popularly believed! I got a overall mileage of 14.8kmpl on the on board indicator! And the beauty from FIAT handled and rode like all Fiats are meant to be! But I miss my beast 'Adventure'

Cheers!
Old 26th October 2011, 22:24   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I'm a bit confused here

The distance between Nipani to Sankeshwar to turn to Gadinglaj is more than 12 km,

How ever the distance between Tawandi ghat turn to uttur at the Satyawati palace / kaveri restaurants to this turn to gadinglaj is approx 12 kms
SH 121 is between Shinoli near belgaum to the intersection on the amboli ajra SH134

Sankeshwar / Gadinglaj / Ajra / Amboli / further is SH 134 no SH 121 as you mention

I'm no expert but couldn't your friend have gone to Chorla from the NH4A via Jamboti on SH 31? If yes then why did he go via Sawantwadi which looks to be the longer.
Hi You are right , My friend sould have gone Via NH4A but went via Sawantwadi on the advice of the hotel where he is staying.
the idea behing posting this was just to share with TBHP a motorable road to chorla.
Most readers are aware of the Belgaum - Chorla rd which is totally for off-roaders but this is definetely a motorable one even though it looks longer.

Cheers
CM narayan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks