Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 17:59   #631
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Also pls suggest some breakfast points just before reaching Kolhapur if any.
I think if you escape crowd at Toll plazas you will reach Kolhapur bit too early for breakfast, even at McDonald/ CCD.

I suggest you to reach Belgaum that will take just 1 more hour and have breakfast at Sanman or Eefa near Rani Channamma Circle.

In case you take Sankeshwar-Amboli road and ready for little late breakfast, Kamats' at beginning of Amboli Ghat is also a good option. however, it will take at least 2.30 hrs from Kolhapur to reach there.

Have safe journey.
Old 7th December 2011, 18:10   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
NH4A is only going to deteriorate.IMO,take the route via Amboli and go via Sawantwadi-Panjim-Ponda.Its not going to be that difficult negotiating Goa traffic.Not worth scraping the bottoms of the Dzire.NH4A is a crazy road and it doesnt stay good for more than 1-2 months at a stretch.
How good/bad is the Amboli-Sawantwadi road bcos reports state that even that road is not get good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Just Back from the Goa Trip. The route to Goa was Panvel-Nipani-Sankeshwar-Amboli-Dandoli-Banda-Panji-Canacona. The return trip was Canacona-Cuncolim-Quepem-Kullem-Molem-Belgaum-pune-Panvel.

Nh4 is excellent ,nothing to mention about it. The connecting stretch is where you loose a lot of time. Sankeshwar-Banda is a mixed path . Some good stretches and some really bad. NH4A is in bad shape. It took me almost 5 hours to reach Belgaum from Palolem.

I regret not taking the Belgaum-Hubli-Kanwar-Canacona route .Just came to know that the roads are in excellent condition on this route . May be next time.
Between NH4A and the Amboli-Sawantwadi road, which is in better condition as I dont mind driving extra kms if the road is good.

Last edited by f1fan : 7th December 2011 at 18:19.
Old 7th December 2011, 19:43   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
How good/bad is the Amboli-Sawantwadi road bcos reports state that even that road is not get good?

Between NH4A and the Amboli-Sawantwadi road, which is in better condition as I dont mind driving extra kms if the road is good.
I bypassed Sawantwadi via the Dandoli-Banda route, so can't comment on the Amboli-sawantwadi route, but given a chance to choose between the two roads, i would avoid NH4A.
Ravi Yadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 20:05   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Take the Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli route.Amboli route is fine except for some rough edges here and there.Its hardly anything compared to what you would get to see on NH4A.NH4A for most parts of the year has craeters(not even potholes-thats too mild a word).Stick to Amboli route and you should be able to do fine.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 20:42   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Take the Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli route.Amboli route is fine except for some rough edges here and there.Its hardly anything compared to what you would get to see on NH4A.NH4A for most parts of the year has craeters(not even potholes-thats too mild a word).Stick to Amboli route and you should be able to do fine.
I heartily second what Ranjit has said. In fact, I did Nippani-Amboli on the way to Goa (which I thought was bad) and NH4A on the way back. I would say without hesitation that Nippani-Amboli was better than NH4A in overall terms and less driving fatigue. My wife will second that too - on the way out, in spite of the rough road on Nippani-Amboli route, I was singing loudly along with the music, while on the way back on NH4A I was so frustrated that I just pulled out the USB drive and told her to shut off the "noise"

So perhaps Sankeshwar-Gandhinglaj-Amboli would be still better. And once you enter Goa, the roads are butter smooth so you will simply cruise from Patradevi-Panaji-Ponda.

Last edited by suniladhiya : 7th December 2011 at 20:47.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 08:25   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79

How bad is the fog in early morning in this route bro?

I am planning to do this on 16th morning. Ofcourse only till Kolhapur and then detour to Tarkarli beach.
Planning to start at the same time. Pls let me know about the road conditions too along with the traffic.

Regards,
Maverick79.
I hope you plan to take the phonda ghat road to tarkarli? Please report back the entire road condition after kolhapur, I would be going to tarkarli on 24th.
Old 8th December 2011, 10:13   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I hope you plan to take the phonda ghat road to tarkarli? Please report back the entire road condition after kolhapur, I would be going to tarkarli on 24th.
Certain section of Phonda Ghat road, between Radhanagari and Kolhapur, is perpetually in Bad condition. Please check with someone at Kolhapur. Similarly, After Radhanagari till Dajipur road is pleasant yet very lonely and going through thick forest. You may spot Bison if you are lucky.

Have safe journey.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:02   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
How bad is the fog in early morning in this route bro?

I am planning to do this on 16th morning. Ofcourse only till Kolhapur and then detour to Tarkarli beach.
Planning to start at the same time. Pls let me know about the road conditions too along with the traffic.

Regards,
Maverick79.
The fog around Kolhapur was pretty dense in patches. The Sun had just come out and had started to disperse the fog.

Road upto Kolhapur is not an issue at all. Traffic was also pretty sparse.

Are you planning to enter Konkan from Amboli or Radhanagri or Amba?

take care and drive safely
Old 8th December 2011, 13:04   #639
BHPian

Thanks a lot folks for all your updates!!
There has been a small change of plans as my dad has some work at Hubli too. Hence from Hubli, we are planning to go to Ponda thru the Ankola NH63 route as we heard is in good condition and on the way back, I am planning the Ponda-Panaji-Banda-Dandoli-Amboli-Sankeshwar route.

Had a small question: From Banda, the road to Dandoli, is the white road (going up just after the cross roads of NH and SH) in the attached image. Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-banda.jpg

Asking bcos from Google maps, it looks like the road is not complete all the way to Dandoli?
Old 8th December 2011, 16:19   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ponda-Panaji-Banda-Dandoli-Amboli-Sankeshwar route.

Had a small question: From Banda, the road to Dandoli, is the white road (going up just after the cross roads of NH and SH) in the attached image.
Asking bcos from Google maps, it looks like the road is not complete all the way to Dandoli?
AFAIK,google does not have this road.Refer to these two posts for more info.Ashish took this road recently
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2569767
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/53019-mumbai-pune-kolhapur-goa-38.html#post2570970
Old 8th December 2011, 16:23   #641
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK,google does not have this road.Refer to these two posts for more info.Ashish took this road recently
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2569767
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2570970
Actually I wanted info for the Banda side of this road.
Images shared by AP was for the Dandoli side, hence I am little confused on where this road connects near Banda so that I dont miss it on my way from Ponda.
Old 8th December 2011, 17:05   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I wanted info for the Banda side of this road.
Images shared by AP was for the Dandoli side, hence I am little confused on where this road connects near Banda so that I dont miss it on my way from Ponda.
Just as you touch Banda from Goa side, you will see a road on the right hand side, almost at right angles to NH17, this is the road to Danoli. This point is about 1 1/2 kms after the Goa check post. Hope this helps.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 20:51   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Just as you touch Banda from Goa side, you will see a road on the right hand side, almost at right angles to NH17, this is the road to Danoli. This point is about 1 1/2 kms after the Goa check post. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot.
One last question: Do we have to pay anything at the border?
I dont have any intentions of carrying any liquor back. Do they bother us at the Goa and MH border for their usual chai-pani ?
Old 8th December 2011, 22:11   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot.
I dont have any intentions of carrying any liquor back. Do they bother us at the Goa and MH border for their usual chai-pani ?
Nope you don't have to pay anything at th border. check post for liquor is further after banda and towards sawantwadi at a place called insuli on NH17.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 23:17   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan

Thanks a lot.
Like DF stated no money.but make sure you carry your original RC,original PUC,original insurance,original license.show the copy only,only if the situation warrants show them the original if asked for.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks