Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2011, 14:57   #676
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

[quote=suniladhiya;2613722]I am a regular on the Pune-Goa sector and you can see my earlier posts in this thread, reporting road conditions during my last trip in the first week of December. One thing you need to understand that after Kolhapur/Belgaum, there is no such thing called "get to Goa quick and fast on good roads" - such an entity simply does not exist at least in the winter months. In summer, the roads are much better because the authorities have had enough time to patch them up. The only good road is to go right upto Hubli on NH4 and then turn to Goa on NH63, which adds about 200 kms to your distance.

Out of the other (shorter) routes, you can see that everyone has recommended Kolhapur-Sankeshwar (on NH4) - turn off to right - Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-Danoli-Banda-Goa, frankly this is the best you can expect at present.

Hi

In case I do take the shorter route - turning off from Sankeshwar what is the travel time from Kolhapur to Goa

Also in case I do decide to go via Hubli - what would be the travel time from Kolhapur to Goa

Also in case I need to stop overnight between Pune and Kolhapur - what is a good budget option - I would be traveling with wife and kids

Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 15:01   #677
BHPian

A small input for the benfit of all. The following link gives info on all petrol/diesel pumps. Petrol Pumps In Sankeshwar, Indian Oil Petrol Pumps In Sankeshwar, Bharat Petroleum Pumps In Sankeshwar
Cheers
Safe Driving
Narayan
Drivealot
Old 17th December 2011, 15:28   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
1]In case I do take the shorter route - turning off from Sankeshwar what is the travel time from Kolhapur to Goa
2]Also in case I do decide to go via Hubli - what would be the travel time from Kolhapur to Goa
3]Also in case I need to stop overnight between Pune and Kolhapur - what is a good budget option - I would be traveling with wife and kids
whohaha!!!

Bhai drivepassion, by now, you should get PhD on Goa route.

1] Time from kolhapur to goa via sankeshwar-amboli?
hummm, depends upon your driving skill, may take min 4 hours to max 24 hours if stopped at amboli.

2] kolhapur to goa via hubli may take min 8 hours to max 24 hours if you stopped at belgaum.

3] budget option to stay between pune to kolhapur?
hummm,
tricky question,
1000 bucks room at pune is low budget room,
1000 bucks room at kolhapur is medium budget room,
1000 bucks room at karad is high budget room.
its your choice.

Just kidding!!!!

I am sure, many here are wondering why you are insisting on to try hubli route?
just for driving pleasure of those extra kilometer?

Bhai drivepassion,
you will be with your family and kid,
take the advise from bhpians here, please don't make any experiments while driving in unknown area.

No offense please.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th December 2011 at 15:37.
Old 17th December 2011, 15:57   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
whohaha!!!

Bhai drivepassion, by now, you should get PhD on Goa route.

1] Time from kolhapur to goa via sankeshwar-amboli?
hummm, depends upon your driving skill, may take min 4 hours to max 24 hours if stopped at amboli.

2] kolhapur to goa via hubli may take min 8 hours to max 24 hours if you stopped at belgaum.

3] budget option to stay between pune to kolhapur?
hummm,
tricky question,
1000 bucks room at pune is low budget room,
1000 bucks room at kolhapur is medium budget room,
1000 bucks room at karad is high budget room.
its your choice.

Just kidding!!!!

I am sure, many here are wondering why you are insisting on to try hubli route?
just for driving pleasure of those extra kilometer?

Bhai drivepassion,
you will be with your family and kid,
take the advise from bhpians here, please don't make any experiments while driving in unknown area.

No offense please.
Ashish

Thanks for the satire - although hardly on the cards

I have solo drives to my credit on the upwards of fourteen hours having used TTK maps - having done the like of Calcutta to Chandigarh using NH 2 and NH 1 So please excuse. That drive had only one stop at sasaram when the chassis cracked dude!

My drive from Delhi to Yol Camp and Mc Leod Ganj was just another of those experiences which I thoroughly enjoyed.

It was fascinating to have a resource like team BHP which actually had updates and real time experiences to draw on - which I am sure you too would have tapped from time to time.

When bridges have been washed out in MP and have crossed through in a Willis in the wake of a truck - has taught me plenty!

All said and done I am sure and say three cheers - Team BHP rocks and do you for all said and done I have had my share of inputs from senior members like you and no offense taken!

Cheers
Old 17th December 2011, 16:10   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have solo drives to my credit on the upwards of fourteen hours having used TTK maps - having done the like of Calcutta to Chandigarh using NH 2 and NH 1 So please excuse. That drive had only one stop at sasaram when the chassis cracked dude!
My drive from Delhi to Yol Camp and Mc Leod Ganj was just another of those experiences which I thoroughly enjoyed.
When bridges have been washed out in MP and have crossed through in a Willis in the wake of a truck - has taught me plenty!
Cheers
wow!!

Man, you are serious driving machine!!

we would like to read those drive experience through your travelogues.
please put it in words and post it here.
Old 17th December 2011, 16:19   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
wow!!

Man, you are serious driving machine!!

we would like to read those drive experience through your travelogues.
please put it in words and post it here.
Ashish

I also aim to continue learning from the likes of you I am aware through the threads that you are a whiz with GPS and the likes and like it or not you are going to give me tutorials man maybe once I am through with this trip!

A few years before we knew about CNG I used twin LPG cylinders at 45 degrees incline and when one frosted we used hot kettles of water from stopover Dhabas to defrost while we switched regulators to continue with the drive - The car returned an average of 202 Kms to a cylinder on the maiden run.

A night run from Jamshedpur to Puri in cyclonic rains when your lights blink out and the final Bhubhaneswar - Puri run is done on directs using Fog lights is an interesting plan B when you do a night run Ashish

Cheers!
Old 17th December 2011, 19:56   #682
BHPian

@ Drivepassion:

A realistic time estimate for Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Goa would be 5 hours
Similar for Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Goa would be 8-9 hours.

My regular halt at Kolhapur is Hotel Pearl, where the Deluxe Non-A/c double room is 2400+taxes with free buffet breakfast thrown in. Hotel Opal is also recommended by several bhpians. Hotel Panchshil is just opposite Hotel Pearl.

If you want a halt at Satara, you could try Hotel Mahendra Executive, bang on the NH4, just before the Satara flyover.

Hope this helps
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 06:43   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
@ Drivepassion:

A realistic time estimate for Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Goa would be 5 hours
Similar for Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Goa would be 8-9 hours.

My regular halt at Kolhapur is Hotel Pearl, where the Deluxe Non-A/c double room is 2400+taxes with free buffet breakfast thrown in. Hotel Opal is also recommended by several bhpians. Hotel Panchshil is just opposite Hotel Pearl.

If you want a halt at Satara, you could try Hotel Mahendra Executive, bang on the NH4, just before the Satara flyover.

Hope this helps
Hi

Thanks - I think that is pretty precise - was really looking for a comparision in the two routes in terms of travel time.

Just one more -

How is Amboli for a night stay - should I want to push through without a stay on NH4
Old 18th December 2011, 08:33   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Thanks - I think that is pretty precise - was really looking for a comparision in the two routes in terms of travel time.

Just one more -

How is Amboli for a night stay - should I want to push through without a stay on NH4
Amboli is great for a night stay - Hotel JRD International and Hotel Kamath are adjacent to each other. You could have a fabulous view of the sunset from the "Sunset Point" if you reach in time. And Goa is just 80kms away the next morning.

Have a good trip and enjoy the drive !
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 09:41   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amboli is great for a night stay - Hotel JRD International and Hotel Kamath are adjacent to each other.
Service at JRD international sucks!
Avoid this hotel.

Viththal Kamath hotel is at the start of the ghat.
If its another kamat, then i have no info.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 10:48   #686
BHPian

Ashish, yes it is Vithal Kamat alright. As regards JRD, I stayed there quite a few years ago and the cottage rooms were quite decent. Maybe things have deteriorated in recent times.

I believe there is also an MTDC on the same road leading to the ghat, or it that now taken over by Vithal Kamat ?
Old 18th December 2011, 11:47   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ashish, yes it is Vithal Kamat alright. As regards JRD, I stayed there quite a few years ago and the cottage rooms were quite decent. Maybe things have deteriorated in recent times.

I believe there is also an MTDC on the same road leading to the ghat, or it that now taken over by Vithal Kamat ?
ya, JRD deteriorated.

Near ghat, its viththal kamat restaurant,
MTDC's Green Valley resort is managed by Viththal kamat group.
Old 18th December 2011, 12:15   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Amboli is great for a night stay - Hotel JRD International and Hotel Kamath are adjacent to each other. You could have a fabulous view of the sunset from the "Sunset Point" if you reach in time. And Goa is just 80kms away the next morning.

Have a good trip and enjoy the drive !
Sunil

Thanks will then just give Kamat a try

cheeers!

Old 19th December 2011, 13:05   #689
BHPian

For all those who enter in Kolhapur and want to proceed towards Radhanagari -> Phonda ghat, here is how you can avoid getting into the Kolhapur city....
A new conrete road construction is now complete and you can cross KOlhapur within 15-20 mins using this road. See images in the order.

Taken from google maps, one should be able to refer this images and go into more details on google.

Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-entry-kop-1.png  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-new-bypass-2.png  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-kalamba-road-radhanagari-road-3.png  

Old 19th December 2011, 15:46   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing you need to understand that after Kolhapur/Belgaum, there is no such thing called "get to Goa quick and fast on good roads" - such an entity simply does not exist at least in the winter months.
Very well said. In fact, that is true for most parts of the country.
The choice is generally between average road and bad road.
So, if we filter out the bad ones, then we are hardly let with choices.

I think Sankeshwar -> Ajra - Amboli is overall an average road and my preferred route.

Most Viewed